TV Talk

Off-topic discussions about anything you please!

Moderator: gillian

Postby deaeterna » Sat Jul 21, 2007 6:40 pm

Well, it's official - P. Diddy has sold out! Yes, that's right! P. Diddy is now doing Burger King commercials! And lame Burger King commercials at that! I can't believe such a unique and gifted artist can stoop so low! You'd think he lacked originality or something.
deaeterna
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby deaeterna » Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:49 am

Hey, Kelsea...

"This is a tapestry of justice - a total tapestry!"

:lol:

BTW, did anyone else watch Saving Grace after The Closer? I love Holly Hunter - always have, always will.
deaeterna
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby Kelsea » Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:09 am

Haha. That was definitely one of the funniest episodes of The Closer yet. The hazmat suites, walkie talkies, minty wax floss, mind numbingly dumb criminals and Brenda freaks outs made for an entertaining time. I loved the Blonde women’s appeal that she shouldn't be arrested because the guy didn't kill the right person, and she should get her money back lol.

I'm getting a little worried with all this fever, sweating, nausea and crying stuff. So help me if Brenda's pregnant and or given some other ridiculous ailment...
Kelsea
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby deaeterna » Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:16 am

KelseaC wrote:
Haha. That was definitely one of the funniest episodes of The Closer yet. The hazmat suites, walkie talkies, minty wax floss, mind numbingly dumb criminals and Brenda freaks outs made for an entertaining time. I loved the Blonde women’s appeal that she shouldn't be arrested because the guy didn't kill the right person, and she should get her money back lol.

I'm getting a little worried with all this fever, sweating, nausea and crying stuff. So help me if Brenda's pregnant and or given some other ridiculous ailment...

I know! Wasn't one pregnancy scare enough? Haven't these people ever heard of birth control and safe sex? Sheesh!

I loved the part where the hitman was like, "But you kissed him," and the blonde goes, "I don't kiss my husband, you idiot!" Um, what? LOL.

And Buzz makes a good Tao, no? Very convincing! LOL.
deaeterna
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby Turk » Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:37 am

deaeterna wrote:Yep. The past few episodes of Intervention have either made me cry or kinda grossed me out!

I have been watching VH1's World Series of Pop Culture. I'm surprised by how much I actually know of this stuff!

I refuse to watch Intervention because it makes me see too much of myself - past and present. I did actually watch one episode a couple weeks ago. The camera followed a falling down drunk woman all over the place. We were actually watching her demise. She was really pathetic and knew she was killing herself but didn't WANT to stop. I changed the channel.

I LOVE World Series of Pop Culture.
My brother, a friend and I tried out for the first season last year when they auditiioned in Atlanta. We barely missed the cut. Unfortunately they didn't audition in Atlanta for this season, so we didn't try again.
Turk
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby RightOverThisMess » Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:27 pm

Turk, I can see why you wouldn't want to watch Intervention. I can also relate to it all too well. Sometimes I just have to switch the channel. But most of the time it's cathartic for me--like going to an AA meeting. Watching the show and going to a meeting both help me envision what my life could be like if I went back to drinking. I know it sounds harsh, but seeing someone hit a bottom that is more chaotic and lower than mine ever was keeps me sober. For at least one more day. Anyway, I think I know which episode you were talking about. Was it the lady who chugged bottles of mouthwash every day when she couldn't get her hands on vodka? That was so horrible. She would walk out into the kitchen and throw up and her kids would just sit there and were like, "Yup, this happens every day. We're used to it."
Nobody helps a liar.
...and you don't know what I've done.
RightOverThisMess
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby keith from ny » Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:22 pm

deaeterna wrote:BTW, did anyone else watch Saving Grace after The Closer? I love Holly Hunter - always have, always will.

I did indeed, and I do too (and always have & will), but IMO she deserves a less hackneyed premise and a better script than last night's premiere episode of Saving Grace. Even her likable banter with Laura San Giacomo couldn't save that story.

Holly herself was great given what she had to work with, hopefully it'll get better.
I don't know nothing except change will come
keith from ny
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Turk » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:09 pm

I suppose I am a glutton for punishment as I am looking forward to new episodes of Lost this Thursday.

Anyone else been watching the darkly comical Breaking Bad on AMC? They have aired 2 episodes out of 8 and it is an awesome show. Bryan Cranston (Malcolm in the Middle and Seinfeld) plays a financially-strapped chemistry teacher who finds out he has terminal cancer. He then decides to take drastic measures to ensure his family's future for when he is no longer around. Sounds depressing, I know, but it's well-acted and highly entertaining. I would describe this show as a heavier version of Weeds directed by the Coen brothers.
New episodes air Sunday nights at 10pm EST with repeats throuhgout the week. Watch clips for this great show here:
http://www.amctv.com/videos/breakingbad

AMC (American Movie Classics) is also reairing its wonderful series Mad Men on Sundays at midnight.
Turk
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Browncoat » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:17 am

This poor thread has been dormant for far too long...

So what is everyone up to, these days, on television? We all have far more important things to do, for sure, but for me that often means watching more television, the avid procrastinator that I am...

My list of shows that I'm currently watching has grown considerably, over the past while. It's starting to get cumbersome.

Dollhouse - This is Joss Whedon's new FOX show. Only two episodes have aired, but I think it shows a lot of promise. It's not as immediately fantastic as Firefly was, but it's solid and it's getting better.

Friday Night Lights - I'm only just starting to watch this series now (three episodes in) and I love it completely. Considering that I hate American football, I find it quite astonishing how much I like this series. Really well done.

United States of Tara - I'm not sure if I like the whole series or just Toni Collette and her fictional son, Marshall. Either way, I'll keep watching the remaining six episodes in the season and I'm sure I'll tune in for the second season.

30 Rock - Like many people, I only started watching this after the Tina Fey blitz, last fall. And I'm really glad I did - it's a solid, well-written, well-acted show. I've watched all of the episodes two or three times now and they consistently make me laugh.

Chuck - This show is just a lot of fun to watch. It's hard to dislike any of the characters in the show (unless, of course, they're evil) and each episode is very tight and goes by very quickly.

House - I didn't particularly care for the fourth season of the show (with the exception of the fantastic finale), but I'm really enjoying the fifth season. I'm not typically a big fan of procedural shows, but I've been consistently impressed with the writers' ability to nicely balance character development with the familiar episode format.

I still haven't watched Mad Men yet, but I'm really looking forward to catching up with the DVDs. Additionally, there's a new Dead Like Me straight-to-DVD movie out that I'll probably need to pick up, despite it looking fairly mediocre.
Subtly eccentric...
Browncoat
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby Turk » Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:49 pm

If none of you have seen the AMC series Breaking Bad, you're missing out. Season 2 begins tomorrow night at 10pm eastern. It stars Bryan Cranston and Aaron Paul. Read Stephen King's (yes that Stephen King) description about his love for the show.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

The first thing we see in the second season of Breaking Bad is an eyeball floating in a swimming pool while sirens rise and intermingle in the background. Police sirens? Fire sirens? Both? There's no way to tell for sure. The eye is sucked into a circulation duct and we sink deeper, discovering a soaked one-eyed pink teddy bear that is somehow worse than a dead body. Episode 2 begins with a leisurely panning shot of a desert wasteland littered with discarded toys, home appliances, and spent cartridge casings. In the background, something is churning frantically. It sounds like a washing machine but turns out to be a car, shuddering in mechanical death spasms. It is the most disturbing sequence I've seen on film since Dean Stockwell's Blue Velvet lip-synch of ''In Dreams.''

I wish I'd been a fly on the wall at the pitch meeting where Breaking Bad creator Vince Gilligan explained the show's concept to AMC execs. I imagine him saying: ''Okay, guys, here's the deal. Our main character is a high school teacher named Walt White. Although he doesn't smoke, he finds out in the first episode that he's got terminal lung cancer. He recruits his ex-student, a drug pusher/slacker dude named Jesse. Together they go into the crystal-meth manufacturing business...and, as a chemistry teacher, Walt makes skull-poppingly good meth. Jesse only wants to make a bundle, but Walt has got bigger plans: to make sure his wife (pregnant with a change-of-life baby) and his teenage son (who suffers from cerebral palsy) will be financially okay after he dies. Which could be soon. Got it?''

And they said yes! AMC said yes! God bless those guys! As a result, this modest basic-cable network is now broadcasting the best scripted show on TV. Your Uncle Stevie may not care much for Mad Men, but he has never seen anything like BB on the tube. The only thing that comes close is Twin Peaks, also by Blue Velvet auteur David Lynch. But Peaks lost its focus once it moved beyond the death of Laura Palmer. Judging by the first three episodes of Breaking Bad's second season, the story is more tightly plotted than ever.

Our heroes (if you can call them that) are complete babes in the woods, you see. Walt may make the best crystal the world has ever seen, and Jesse may have a few drug connections in the parched New Mexico town where BB takes place, but once guys like Krazy 8, No-Doze, and Tuco enter the picture, these two naïfs are hopelessly out of their league and struggling just to stay alive. Aaron Paul is terrific as Jesse — a puffy-eyed whiner reminiscent of Bill Paxton in Aliens. You can almost hear him groaning, ''Game over, man! Game over!'' But the real revelation is Bryan Cranston as Walt White. Now bald thanks to his character's chemotherapy, Cranston uses his craggy features to convey weariness, illness, and incipient madness. He's an American Everyman living under a constant Condition Red threat-level alert.

Whatever reasons American Movie Classics had for greenlighting BB, the payoff for viewers who like their suspense cocktails a little stronger than the usual Law & Order mojito is a big one. The second episode (''Grilled'') is a perfect case in point. No spoilers here; suffice it to say that Walt and Jesse's involvement with hellish drug kingpin Tuco (Raymond Cruz) comes to a head at a desert hideout where Tuco's stroke-afflicted uncle sits watching Mexican TV in a wheelchair with a little bell affixed to one arm: One ding means ''yes,'' no ding means ''no.'' Or is it the other way around? There's no way to be sure; the only thing we can be completely sure of is that Tuco's nuts and someone's gonna die. It's like watching No Country for Old Men crossbred with the malevolent spirit of the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

Thank God for basic cable, if it can produce programming as strange and compelling as this. Breaking Bad invites us into another world, just as The Shield and The Sopranos did, but Walt White could be a guy just down the block, the one who tried to teach the periodic table to your kids before he got sick. The swimming pool with the eye in it could be right down the block too. That's exactly what makes it all so funny, so frightening, and so compelling. This is rich stuff.
Turk
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Rob » Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:55 pm

Turk wrote:If none of you have seen the AMC series Breaking Bad, you're missing out. Season 2 begins tomorrow night at 10pm eastern.

I haven't seen the show, but I heard a story on NPR this morning with Bryan Cranston that makes me want to catch up with it. Plus I loved Bryan Cranston on Malcolm in the Middle.

I think you'll enjoy this piece, Turk.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... =101580518
You can't really dust for vomit.

-- Nigel Tufnel
Rob
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby Turk » Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:41 pm

Thanks for that link, Rob. I did enjoy it.
If you have cable with OnDemand, AMC is running the first season. It's only like 9 episodes because of the writers strike last year.

At AMCTV,com you can watch the original pilot episode and then recaps of the rest of season 1. http://www.amctv.com/videos/breaking-bad .
I liked Bryan Cranston on 'Malcolm' but never knew he was such a fine actor until this show.
Turk
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Rob » Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:04 pm

Turk wrote:Thanks for that link, Rob. I did enjoy it.
If you have cable with OnDemand, AMC is running the first season.

I honestly don't know if I have that. I'll have to look. But AMC has gone waaaaaaay overboard on the commercials; to the point where movies are unwatchable. They stretch so many films to three hours it's ridiculous. And fuggghedabout watching any of the Godfather films. Those are like four hours. And to think, AMC used to be commercial-free.

Turk wrote:I liked Bryan Cranston on 'Malcolm' but never knew he was such a fine actor until this show.

Yeah, it's a switch when they do something completely different. But he was really great on Malcolm. My favorite episode was when him and the kids got lost in the desert and ended up on a missile test range in a targeted house. He was so perfectly manic.

He really did a brilliant job there. It's great to know he does so well on Breaking Bad. I will certainly have to catch myself up.
You can't really dust for vomit.

-- Nigel Tufnel
Rob
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby Turk » Sat May 23, 2009 8:37 pm

Any True Blood fans out there? The 2nd season starts on June 14. HBO OnDemand has all the season 1 eps available now.

Alan Ball (Six Feet Under) also created this show, adapted from the books by Charlaine Harris.

True Blood
Turk
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby RightOverThisMess » Sat May 23, 2009 9:54 pm

Thanks for the Breaking Bad recommendation, Turk. I'm in the midst of downloading season 1.
Nobody helps a liar.
...and you don't know what I've done.
RightOverThisMess
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

PreviousNext

Return to The Watercooler