things that make me want to poke my eyes out

Off-topic discussions about anything you please!

Moderator: gillian

Postby sandina » Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:39 am

LimeTwister wrote:This damn paper on conflict resolution focusing on Sri Lanka...20 pages. I am gonna go insane.

You sound conflicted! :?
sandina
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby scottz » Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:57 am

Hey Joe,
Considering the depth of the conflicts in Sri Lanka, maybe 20 pages isn't so bad. Good luck!

Rob, I like your perspective on this. I guess I would add, that not so much of the reason those people are going over the edge is based on what we view as troubled times as far as the world views goes. But on the extremely warped view those people have developed, and events that particularly have driven/pushed them and their lives beyond sanity. Their hate has been festering in a way that sane people wouldn't believe or understand.
Your analogy encompasses it, I just wanted to point out that those killers' troubled times, may have nothing to do with ours.
Waiting for Lightning...
scottz
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby LimeTwister » Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:33 pm

scottz wrote:Hey Joe,
Considering the depth of the conflicts in Sri Lanka, maybe 20 pages isn't so bad. Good luck!

Yes, but I am working on a short time frame, and I have to work on another paper due on the same day. haha
I guess I'm taking my chances
Giving up the ring, throwing in the gloves
I guess I'm taking my chances
Trading in my things For a couple wings on a little white dove
And one big love, one big love
LimeTwister
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby TontoBronto » Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:29 am

RightOverThisMess wrote:I took my contacts out about 10 minutes after I picked up a jalapeno that fell out of my sandwich. My eyes feel like burning. And, no, this is not the first time this has happened.

Interestingly I found this recipe online:
Jamaican Jerk Tempeh

from Vegetarian Ttimes... very spicy.

3 large cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup minced fresh ginger
1/4 cup thinly sliced scallions (white and light green parts only)
1/2 small habanero chile, seeded and minced (use gloves or coat fingertips with oil first and don't touch your face) I repeat: do NOT touch a pepper and then touch your face/eyes. That means YOU Carly Guy.
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp allspice
1 1/2 tsp thyme
1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbs lemon juice
3/4 cup apricot juice (can substitute with something like peach/mango juice or apple juice)
2 tbsp PURE maple syrup
2 8 oz packages tempeh, each cut into 10 thin strips
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Prepare marinade: In medium bowl, whisk together all ingredients, except for the tempeh. Pour into large shallow baking dish.

Apparently, Carly's reputation has spread worldwide. :wink:
TontoBronto
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby RightOverThisMess » Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:25 am

Hahaaa! Thanks for the laughs, Bruce! xo
Nobody helps a liar.
...and you don't know what I've done.
RightOverThisMess
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby outta » Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:24 pm

Addressing people by their real name versus their board name. It gets quite confusing, but that could be a good thing. :wink:
"Tell me the truth, you sweet son of a bitch"
Browncoat
outta
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby Browncoat » Thu May 14, 2009 4:28 am

My father owns a paving company. Last Friday, my father called me up to ask if I was doing anything Monday. I wasn't, so he asked if I would mind working at his asphalt plant for the day. See, he has this guy who runs the plant, but he often steals money from the company. So, instead of firing him, my father has somebody go out to the plant and *watch* for twelve hours, every day. I agreed.

It's now Thursday and I'm still here. My father won't answer my calls. And when I've told my mother (who also works at the company) that I have things I have to do this week (working with design clients, finding an actual part-time job, my car is broken and needs to be fixed...), she says it would be irresponsible for me to do these things, because what I'm doing at the asphalt plant is my job now.

Considering that my father is paying for my tuition and many other things, I rarely have any problem doing what he asks me to, but this is just so very, very pointless. I get up at 5:00 AM and then literally sit in a dirty, smokey room from 6:30 AM until anywhere between 5:30 and 7:00 PM, doing nothing. After that's done, I drive 30 minutes to other side of town to our main office, to drop off our weigh slips for the day. And then I go home. All because my father refuses to fire a guy who is so completely inept at his job that he needs a babysitter.

To give you an example just how pathetic this guy is...

When a truck comes in and picks up asphalt, we have three weight values: tare, gross, and net. The tare is the weight of the truck itself, without any asphalt; the gross is weight of the truck and the load of asphalt; and the net is the difference. Yesterday, he had to write up two slips for one load, because it was going to two places. Four tonnes were going to one location, eleven tonnes were going to another location, the tare of the truck was 11.06 tonnes. He had to put in the gross weight manually. He was astounded that I was able to tell him automatically that the two gross weights were 15.06 tonnes and 22.06 tonnes. He didn't understand the logic of basic addition.

Other highlights of the day included teaching him how to spell "private" and teaching a trucker how to spell "truck."

There's no internet, so I've tethered my iPhone to my laptop. I was so happy to come home last night and use real internet, since my iPhone connection here drops every ten minutes or so... ... and then I found out that my internet at home is down and my ISP has no idea what the problem is and won't help.

The worst part? The radio. He has it set to a country-pop station that will not stop playing that Dierks Bentley song, "Sideways." It's one of the most annoying songs I've ever heard.

"Patricide" may become a part of my daily vocabulary soon.
Subtly eccentric...
Browncoat
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby marybeth » Thu May 14, 2009 4:33 am

Sounds like a good basis for a novel. You could start one.....
http://www.marybethdamico.com

Some people don't care if they live or they die
Some people want to know what it feels like to fly

Americana: "a nebulous category of misfits and acquired tastes, many of whom seem to have worn cowboy hats at one time or another" LA Times article
marybeth
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby scottz » Sat May 16, 2009 10:34 pm

There are a lot of things you can do here, to work to your advantage. You are already invaluable to your father as a trusted son. Even though you are not interested in running the plant, you're smart enough to learn how. There's a lot to be learned in that business that will enhance your resume. From science (aggregates, compaction, oil processes) math, controlling, chemistry, dispatching and getting products to your consumers on time and in good shape, business management, engineering and mechanics involved in making machines & other things work for you, and learning to work with all kinds of people.
Even if none of those things appeal to you, learning how will help you succeed in whatever direction your future takes you. It may not seem like it now, but seriously it will. Your dad will accept your calls, especially if/when you can tell him something that will save or make him some money. No doubt. He's in a tight spot, obviously and he's counting on you, that's what it sounds like to me. Writers take on jobs all the time to experience life. Well, here you go, bro.
Waiting for Lightning...
scottz
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby TontoBronto » Tue May 19, 2009 5:44 am

I tried to do my good deed for the day by moving a turtle out of the road before it got smashed. I'm used to the turtles that go into defensive mode by retreating into their shell, but I had run into the turtle-of-Satan: instead of retreating, it stretched its neck around to bite me as I grabbed its shell.
I tried to reassure myself that its neck could ONLY be a couple inches and could never actually reach my hands, but its neck (and biting range) seemed to grow at will. An image of the monster from "Alien" flashed through my mind. :shock:

I ended up pushing the turtle across the road to safety with my foot despite its trying to spin around and bite me again.

I ended up wishing I had shipped the turtle to Adam's co-worker. :wink:
TontoBronto
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby marybeth » Tue May 19, 2009 6:54 am

lol, thanks for giving me a chuckle today Bruce. The thought of you wrestling with the biting turtle...he he.
http://www.marybethdamico.com

Some people don't care if they live or they die
Some people want to know what it feels like to fly

Americana: "a nebulous category of misfits and acquired tastes, many of whom seem to have worn cowboy hats at one time or another" LA Times article
marybeth
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby lily » Tue May 19, 2009 8:40 am

Browncoat… I hear you on the fathers with companies that you can't say no to.

Though that sounds much more pointless than with my dad. He owns a rock company (they sell boulders and other large type stones for landscaping) and they've been technically closed for a year, but they still occasionally get customers. And that usually ends up being my job… waiting for customers that may or may not come. And it always goes something like this…

Him: "What are you doing tomorrow?"
Me: "I have x's cd to review/interview to transcribe/concert to write-up."
Him: "Well, you can do that at the yard, right?"
Me: "Not so much…"
Him: "Sure you can, I need someone to cover. And you're here rent free…"
Me: "Fine."
lily
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby RightOverThisMess » Thu May 21, 2009 2:40 pm

I can't believe how much I HAAAAATE it when people leave their laundry in the washer and/or dryer for hours on end, sometimes an entire day. Yeah, I should just grow a pair and take my roommates' laundry out, but where the hell am I going to put it? Our basement floor is disgusting. Why would anyone WANT their clothes sitting in the washer, damp, all day anyway? That's gross. I've been trying to do my fucking laundry for two days now. And I've been complaining about this issue since my freshman year of college.
Nobody helps a liar.
...and you don't know what I've done.
RightOverThisMess
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby Rob » Thu May 21, 2009 3:36 pm

Tonto Yoder wrote:I tried to do my good deed for the day by moving a turtle out of the road before it got smashed. I'm used to the turtles that go into defensive mode by retreating into their shell, but I had run into the turtle-of-Satan: instead of retreating, it stretched its neck around to bite me as I grabbed its shell.

That happened to me too. Was it a snapping turtle? They can be nasty. I moved one from the middle of a road (big sucker, thought it was a piece of a car or something at first) and while I'm trying to save it, and while there's an SUV coming down the road, the bastard is craning its neck, desperately trying to rip off whatever finger, chunk of flesh, ear, eyeball, it can get hold of.

It did not. But in retaliation, I deposited it on the side of the road from which it came. :wink:
You can't really dust for vomit.

-- Nigel Tufnel
Rob
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby ScottG » Thu May 21, 2009 9:12 pm

RightOverThisMess wrote:Our basement floor is disgusting.

I think that's your answer.
"Indifferent, but distanced perfectly
Projected endlessly, it’s so FUCKING beautiful!!!"
ScottG
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

PreviousNext

Return to The Watercooler