The Pot Thread

Off-topic discussions about anything you please!

Moderator: gillian

Postby ScottG » Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:36 pm

I just had another transcendent moment reading Chris' post.
Beautiful words Chris.
"Indifferent, but distanced perfectly
Projected endlessly, it’s so FUCKING beautiful!!!"
ScottG
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby ScottG » Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:40 pm

Teddy!!!
ScottG
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby outta » Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:30 pm

Chris, those words are beautifully pieced together!

I smoked a lot of pot when I was in Jr. High. We lived in a suburb of Chicago and it was easily attainable -- but, mostly found in our family room before and after school. My parents never entered "our" space.

25 years later, I can't smoke it. It throws me into a state of complete paranoia. I have -- as of late -- taken up drinking a glass or two of wine, or a beer in the evenings. After I get past the "everything is funny!" mode, I'm completely relaxed.
"Tell me the truth, you sweet son of a bitch"
Browncoat
outta
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby Turk » Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:35 am

A koala was sitting in a gum tree smoking a joint.

A little lizard walked past, looked up and said,
'Hey Koala! What are you doing?'

The koala said, "Smoking a joint; come up and have some."
So the little lizard climbed up and sat next to the koala ,
where they enjoyed the weed.

After a while the little lizard said that his mouth was dry
and that he was going to get a drink from the river.

The little lizard was so stoned that he leaned too far
over and fell into the river.

A crocodile saw this, swam over to the little lizard, and
helped him to the side. Then he asked the little lizard,
"What's the matter with you?"

The little lizard explained to the crocodile that he
was sitting smoking a joint with the koala in the tree,
got too stoned, and then fell into the river while taking a drink.

The crocodile said that he had to check this out, walked
into the rain forest, and found the tree where the koala was sitting finishing a joint. The crocodile looked up and said, "Hey you!"

The koala looked down at him and said, "Shit, dude..... how much water did you drink?"
Turk
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Our Kid » Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:02 pm

Mexican Marijuana Cartels Sully US Forests, Parks
TRACIE CONE
Associated Press Writer
Sat Oct 11, 4:20 PM ET

National forests and parks — long popular with Mexican marijuana-growing cartels — have become home to some of the most polluted pockets of wilderness in America because of the toxic chemicals needed to eke lucrative harvests from rocky mountainsides, federal officials said.

The grow sites have taken hold from the West Coast's Cascade Mountains, as well as on federal lands in Kentucky, Tennessee and West Virginia.

Seven hundred grow sites were discovered on U.S. Forest Service land in California alone in 2007 and 2008 — and authorities say the 1,800-square-mile Sequoia National Forest is the hardest hit.

Weed and bug sprays, some long banned in the U.S., have been smuggled to the marijuana farms. Plant growth hormones have been dumped into streams, and the water has then been diverted for miles in PVC pipes.

Rat poison has been sprinkled over the landscape to keep animals away from tender plants. And many sites are strewn with the carcasses of deer and bears poached by workers during the five-month growing season that is now ending.

"What's going on on public lands is a crisis at every level," said Forest Service agent Ron Pugh. "These are America's most precious resources, and they are being devastated by an unprecedented commercial enterprise conducted by armed foreign nationals. It is a huge mess."

The first documented marijuana cartels were discovered in Sequoia National Park in 1998. Then, officials say, tighter border controls after Sept. 11, 2001, forced industrial-scale growers to move their operations into the United States.

Millions of dollars are spent every year to find and uproot marijuana-growing operations on state and federal lands, but federal officials say no money is budgeted to clean up the environmental mess left behind after helicopters carry off the plants. They are encouraged that Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., who last year secured funding for eradication, has inquired about the pollution problems.

In the meantime, the only cleanup is done by volunteers. On Tuesday, the nonprofit High Sierra Trail Crew, founded to improve access to public lands, plans to take 30 people deep into the Sequoia National Forest to carry out miles of drip irrigation pipe, tons of human garbage, volatile propane canisters, and bags and bottles of herbicides and pesticides.

"If the people of California knew what was going on out there, they'd be up in arms about this," said Shane Krogen, the nonprofit's executive director. "Helicopters full of dope are like body counts in the Vietnam War. What does it really mean?"

Last year, law enforcement agents uprooted nearly five million plants in California, nearly a half million in Kentucky and 276,000 in Washington state as the development of hybrid plants has expanded the range of climates marijuana can tolerate.

"People light up a joint, and they have no idea the amount of environmental damage associated with it," said Cicely Muldoon, deputy regional director of the Pacific West Region of the National Park Service.

As of Sept. 2, more than 2.2 million plants had been uprooted statewide. The largest single bust in the nation this year netted 482,000 plants in the remote Sierra of Tulare County, the forest service said.

Some popular parks also have suffered damage. In 2007, rangers found more than 20,000 plants in Yosemite National Park and 43,000 plants in Sequoia Kings Canyon National Park, where 159 grow sites have been discovered over the past 10 years.

Agent Patrick Foy of the California Department of Fish and Game estimated that 1.5 pounds of fertilizers and pesticides is used for every 11.5 plants.

"I've seen the pesticide residue on the plants," Foy said. "You ain't just smoking pot, bud. You're smoking some heavy-duty pesticides from Mexico."

Scott Wanek, the western regional chief ranger for the National Park Service, said he believes the eradication efforts have touched only a small portion of the marijuana farms and that the environmental impact is much greater than anyone knows.

"Think about Sequoia," Wanek said. "The impact goes well beyond the acreage planted. They create huge networks of trail systems, and the chemicals that get into watersheds are potentially very far-reaching — all the way to drinking water for the downstream communities. We are trying to study that now."
"You could write a song about some kind of emotional problem you are having, but it would not be a good song, in my eyes, until it went through a period of sensitivity to a moment of clarity. Without that moment of clarity to contribute to the song, it's just complaining."

-Joni Mitchell-
Our Kid
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby marybeth » Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:18 am

Wow! I never knew this.
http://www.marybethdamico.com

Some people don't care if they live or they die
Some people want to know what it feels like to fly

Americana: "a nebulous category of misfits and acquired tastes, many of whom seem to have worn cowboy hats at one time or another" LA Times article
marybeth
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby ScottG » Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:57 pm

That's why, when I buy pot, I look for the label. The Union label!
ScottG
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby Our Kid » Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:35 pm

Myth: Marijuana is a Gateway Drug.
Even if marijuana itself causes minimal harm, it is a dangerous substance because it leads to the use of "harder drugs" like heroin, LSD, and cocaine.

Fact: Marijuana does not cause people to use hard drugs.
What the gateway theory presents as a causal explanation is a statistic association between common and uncommon drugs, an association that changes over time as different drugs increase and decrease in prevalence. Marijuana is the most popular illegal drug in the United States today. Therefore, people who have used less popular drugs such as heroin, cocaine, and LSD, are likely to have also used marijuana. Most marijuana users never use any other illegal drug. Indeed, for the large majority of people, marijuana is a terminus rather than a gateway drug.

*Morral, Andrew R.; McCaffrey, Daniel F. and Susan M. Paddock. “Reassessing the marijuana gateway effect.” Addiction 97.12 (2002): 1493-504.

*United States. National Household Survey on Drug Abuse: Population Estimates 1994. Rockville, MD: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, 1995.

*---. National Household Survey on Drug Abuse: Main Findings 1994. Rockville, MD: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, 1996.

*D.B. Kandel and M. Davies, “Progression to Regular Marijuana Involvement: Phenomenology and Risk Factors for Near-Daily Use,” Vulnerability to Drug Abuse, Eds. M. Glantz and R. Pickens. Washington, D.C.: American Psychological Association, 1992: 211-253.
"You could write a song about some kind of emotional problem you are having, but it would not be a good song, in my eyes, until it went through a period of sensitivity to a moment of clarity. Without that moment of clarity to contribute to the song, it's just complaining."

-Joni Mitchell-
Our Kid
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

marijuana misadventures

Postby scottz » Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:41 pm

My first Bong Hit...

There are certain things even pot smokers usually remember. My first bong hit was certainly unforgettable.
It all started one afternoon at school. Tech school, actually. I was in the USAF attending radar repair school in Mississippi in the mid 70's. My friends and classmates Bruce, Randy, and Fang (Frank Fangiullo) were trying to talk me into moving off-base with them.
Randy, Bruce and I had just been hit with the news that after 51 weeks at Biloxi, which we now referred to as "the asshole of america", our orders for duty would only be taking us across the base to an electronics group that did major surgury, electronically speaking. Fang was being transferred to Germany, so they needed a new 3rd partner to help w/rent. Sounded good to me, but I wanted to check out the digs first.
We decided to party our sorrows away as soon as possible, at the house.

OK, so sure I had smoked a few times before this, but nothing like these guys. Oh no! So as soon as we get there we crack open some beers, and sit down in the livingroom, which at this point, has a hammy looking plaid couch, green shag carpet, and a 12inch b/w tv ok? oh, and a coffee table with cig butt burns. Uh, nothin fancy, huh? Anyway, Bruce reaches under the couch for the coca-cola tray with the weed and the zig-zags. Who didn't know someone with the zig-zag man tattooed somewhere? By the way, Bruce was a fucking expert at rolling! I learned a lot from that guy, hehe. Randy jumps up onto the back of the couch and reaches back after his "GEO". A GEO is a bong, for the uninitiated. Geographic actually. Its just a poly tube glued into a weighted base made of polyester resin with various colors of beads stirred in in the shape of a tin can. It has a metal tube with an inner sleeve tube which holds different sizes of bowls. (I prefer the one hit... as it should be!)
Well, right now it had a smallish wooden bowl, maybe a three hitter. After taking my instructions on how to work this marvel of mind altering mechanics, Bruce hastily pokes the bowl full of columbian, and hands me the Geo. Here goes!
There I am, lighting this baby, and watching the smoke slowly rise in the transparent tube when all of a sudden *POP* and then *OUCH* Blinding Pain hits me right in the eye! A seed! God Damn! A seed popped and flew up into my eye, or so I thought. It just kept burning and burning and I couldn't get it out! Well finally I got it, but damnnnn! I dumped beer in my fricken eye, man!
I must have had quick reflexes back then, cause when that seed popped up, I got my eyes closed in time to prevent the seed from actually hitting one, but what happened in the clenching process, the seed stuck between my eyelid, and the flesh just above it. there it stuck, and there it burned, hurting so bad that I couldn't unclench or rub it out with my fist, until the burning slacked off a bit! Whew what an ordeal! You should have seen the matching burns, eyelid and above.
That's not where my first bog hit story ends, though.
It ends with me, determined to take that bong hit. well, by now it needs to be re-lit. But remember, there was already a full column of smoke in the tube, now a couple of minutes later. Still, I re-light and burn that sucker down, and blam, pull the bowl sleeve and pound the smoke into my lungs with ferocity.
Instantly, total insane lung reaction! I coughed so hard the spit just flew from my mouth in various directions, and there must've been enough thrust to budge a space shuttle from the pad. In a word HARSH! But man, what a buzzzzzzzz!
Haha

After recovering with ice and much budweiser, my smoking career took off.

Got a story?
Waiting for Lightning...
scottz
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby Our Kid » Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:32 pm

Myth: Marijuana is Highly Addictive.
Long term marijuana users experience physical dependence and withdrawal, and often need professional drug treatment to break their marijuana habits.

Fact: Most people who smoke marijuana smoke it only occasionally.
A small minority of Americans - less than 1 percent - smoke marijuana on a daily basis. An even smaller minority develop a dependence on marijuana. Some people who smoke marijuana heavily and frequently stop without difficulty. Others seek help from drug treatment professionals. Marijuana does not cause physical dependence. If people experience withdrawal symptoms at all, they are remarkably mild.

*United States. Dept. of Health and Human Services. DASIS Report Series, Differences in Marijuana Admissions Based on Source of Referral. 2002. June 24 2005.

*Johnson, L.D., et al. “National Survey Results on Drug Use from the Monitoring the Future Study, 1975-1994, Volume II: College Students and Young Adults.” Rockville, MD: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, 1996.

*Kandel, D.B., et al. “Prevalence and demographic correlates of symptoms of dependence on cigarettes, alcohol, marijuana and cocaine in the U.S. population.” Drug and Alcohol Dependence 44 (1997):11-29.

*Stephens, R.S., et al. “Adult marijuana users seeking treatment.” Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology 61 (1993): 1100-1104.

-Joni Mitchell-
Our Kid
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby Gretzky » Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:05 pm

After recovering with ice and much budweiser, my smoking career took off.

great story, scottz, and that last line kept me laughing for a few moments.

on this early and glorious election day evening, i'll share a quick bong moment from my salad days with green.

my first bong experience came from a beautiful etched glass piece i purchased from a wonderful head shop in philadelphia, a few years ago. after a bit of trial and error, i figured it all out, and with a successful hit or two, i was quite aglow. somewhere during the mental meanderings that followed, the concept of ice bong hits crept in, and i thought: wow! what a great idea! so it was to the kitchen, bong in tow.

i opened the freezer, picked a nice cube, and let it slide down that long glass tube, right past those fancy etchings i mentioned earlier. straight down into the water in the fragile bulb, through that water and then out the bottom. crack and splash! the water poured out through a jagged hole the size of a half dollar, all over the front of my pants.

nothing like broken glass, a wet crotch and a mess to clean up to spoil a good time.
step up and bless the mic
Gretzky
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby scottz » Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:10 pm

ROTFDWLOL
:lol: That's: Rolling on the floor dying while laughing out loud!

Oh man, that had to be the hardest I've laughed in awhile. And isn't it funny how many creative ways we've found to enhance our recreational conciousness manipulation? :lol:

We should have a thread,
Not necessarily pot related, but then again...
Anyway, a thread called something like:
"A Story from My Life."
Just a place where everyone tells "That best/weidest/cutest/funniest life Story" you always seem to relate to people, when you get into
the storytelling mood. It'd be a kick in the pant's!
Waiting for Lightning...
scottz
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby ScottG » Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:13 pm

OK potheads! What are some of your favorite guitar solos? Yes, listening to Eddie Hazel on Maggot Brain inspired me.

The aforementioned Maggot Brain is way up there for me.

Shit, the Prince solo during While My Guitar Gently Weeps at the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame where George was inducted.

Speaking of George, I just LOVE that single harmonic at the end of the Nowhere Man solo.

Mas y mas from David Hidalgo of Los Lobos....

all hell I've lost my train of thought....

Wait! pretty much all of Whole Lotta Rosie from If You Want Blood You've Got It.

On to Rubber Soul!!! Baby you can drive my car! And maybe I'll love you.

I gotta have more cowbell!

Jesus Christ! You Won't See Me. [repeat on iPod] did ya hear that cough at the beginning? Fuck, listen to those vocals!!! do you hear a weird, french horn sounding, instrument at the end of the song?!?! I hear this and people say i'm just stoned. i hear it dammit!

<------------------Nowhere Man

I know where I'm going next. REVOLVER.

I wonder if that part on "Girl" is the first ever recorded doob hit?

I'm Looking Through You!!!!!!!! One of my all time favs.

In My Life (love the drum part). Wait!...
ScottG
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby Our Kid » Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:18 am

Marijuana Reduces Memory Impairment

The more research they do, the more evidence Ohio State University scientists find that specific elements of marijuana can be good for the aging brain by reducing inflammation there and possibly even stimulating the formation of new brain cells.

The research suggests that the development of a legal drug that contains certain properties similar to those in marijuana might help prevent or delay the onset of Alzheimer's disease. Though the exact cause of Alzheimer's remains unknown, chronic inflammation in the brain is believed to contribute to memory impairment.

Any new drug's properties would resemble those of tetrahydrocannabinol, or THC, the main psychoactive substance in the cannabis plant, but would not share its high-producing effects. THC joins nicotine, alcohol and caffeine as agents that, in moderation, have shown some protection against inflammation in the brain that might translate to better memory late in life.

"It's not that everything immoral is good for the brain. It's just that there are some substances that millions of people for thousands of years have used in billions of doses, and we're noticing there's a little signal above all the noise," said Gary Wenk, professor of psychology at Ohio State and principal investigator on the research.

Wenk's work has already shown that a THC-like synthetic drug can improve memory in animals. Now his team is trying to find out exactly how it works in the brain.

The most recent research on rats indicates that at least three receptors in the brain are activated by the synthetic drug, which is similar to marijuana. These receptors are proteins within the brain's endocannabinoid system, which is involved in memory as well as physiological processes associated with appetite, mood and pain response.

This research is also showing that receptors in this system can influence brain inflammation and the production of new neurons, or brain cells.

"When we're young, we reproduce neurons and our memory works fine. When we age, the process slows down, so we have a decrease in new cell formation in normal aging. You need those cells to come back and help form new memories, and we found that this THC-like agent can influence creation of those cells," said Yannick Marchalant, a study coauthor and research assistant professor of psychology at Ohio State.

Marchalant described the research in a poster presentation Wednesday (11/19) at the Society for Neuroscience meeting in Washington, D.C.

Knowing exactly how any of these compounds work in the brain can make it easier for drug designers to target specific systems with agents that will offer the most effective anti-aging benefits, said Wenk, who is also a professor of neuroscience and molecular virology, immunology and medical genetics.

"Could people smoke marijuana to prevent Alzheimer's disease if the disease is in their family? We're not saying that, but it might actually work. What we are saying is it appears that a safe, legal substance that mimics those important properties of marijuana can work on receptors in the brain to prevent memory impairments in aging. So that's really hopeful," Wenk said.

One thing is clear from the studies: Once memory impairment is evident, the treatment is not effective. Reducing inflammation and preserving or generating neurons must occur before the memory loss is obvious, Wenk said.

Marchalant led a study on old rats using the synthetic drug, called WIN-55212-2 (WIN), which is not used in humans because of its high potency to induce psychoactive effects.

The researchers used a pump under the skin to give the rats a constant dose of WIN for three weeks – a dose low enough to induce no psychoactive effects on the animals. A control group of rats received no intervention. In follow-up memory tests, in which rats were placed in a small swimming pool to determine how well they use visual cues to find a platform hidden under the surface of the water, the treated rats did better than the control rats in learning and remembering how to find the hidden platform.

"Old rats are not very good at that task. They can learn, but it takes them more time to find the platform. When we gave them the drug, it made them a little better at that task," Marchalant said.

In some rats, Marchalant combined the WIN with compounds that are known to block specific receptors, which then offers hints at which receptors WIN is activating. The results indicated the WIN lowered the rats' brain inflammation in the hippocampus by acting on what is called the TRPV1 receptor. The hippocampus is responsible for short-term memory.

With the same intervention technique, the researchers also determined that WIN acts on receptors known as CB1 and CB2, leading to the generation of new brain cells – a process known as neurogenesis. Those results led the scientists to speculate that the combination of lowered inflammation and neurogenesis is the reason the rats' memory improved after treatment with WIN.

The researchers are continuing to study the endocannabinoid system's role in regulating inflammation and neuron development. They are trying to zero in on the receptors that must be activated to produce the most benefits from any newly developed drug.

What they already know is THC alone isn't the answer.

"The end goal is not to recommend the use of THC in humans to reduce Alzheimer's," Marchalant said. "We need to find exactly which receptors are most crucial, and ideally lead to the development of drugs that specifically activate those receptors. We hope a compound can be found that can target both inflammation and neurogenesis, which would be the most efficient way to produce the best effects."

The National Institutes of Health supported this work.

Hmm, another Government-assisted study that leads to positive findings about cannabis.

For those of you who may find the above less than credible, here is a link to the article...

http://www.healthnewstrack.com/health-news-811.html

-Joni Mitchell-
Our Kid
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby ScottG » Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:45 pm

I CANNOT FUCKING BELIEVE YOU JUST CITED A STUDY FROM OHIO FUCKING STATE!!!
ScottG
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

PreviousNext

Return to The Watercooler