Oat Cuisine -

Off-topic discussions about anything you please!

Moderator: gillian

Oat Cuisine -

Postby Ian » Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:08 pm

Please feel free to add your own favorite scoff but this is my own tribute to the infamous North Staffordshire Oatcake... Yum!

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_oaikgG-pNg&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_oaikgG-pNg&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>
Ian
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby Our Kid » Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:06 am

Goodness, these DO look rather good. If only I had a recipe for them, I could make some up for the missus...
"You could write a song about some kind of emotional problem you are having, but it would not be a good song, in my eyes, until it went through a period of sensitivity to a moment of clarity. Without that moment of clarity to contribute to the song, it's just complaining."

-Joni Mitchell-
Our Kid
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby TontoBronto » Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:04 pm

Oh, I thought an oatcake was something that dropped out of a horse after it ate oats. Also known as an oatpie or oat patty I believe?
TontoBronto
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Ian » Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:09 pm

Ingredients to make about 12 oatcakes (Vegetarian)

900ml warmed milk & water mixed 50/50
220g fine oatmeal
220g plain flour
15g fresh yeast
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar

Dissolve the sugar in a few spoons of the milk and water.
Add the yeast to make a thick paste, then add the remaining liquid. and leave to stand somewhere warm. During this time the mixture should become frothy.
In another large bowl, mix together the oatmeal, flour and salt and then add the fluid/yeast mixture to this. Mix together well and then leave to stand in a 'warm' place for at least an hour (this is quite important).

Pour enough batter onto a well-greased hot griddle to make a thin oatcake about 8” across.
You may need to even it out with a spatula or back of a spoon.
As it cooks you will see holes appear on the surface. Cook each side for 2-3 minutes until golden brown.

You can serve straight away with your favourite filling (mine is crispy bacon, cheese and tomatoe) or cool on a wire rack and bag up for consumption later. Don't keep them for more than a day or two as they can go off rather quickly.
Oatcakes do freeze well but won't seperate easily from the freezer.
Cold oatcakes filled with cheese and rolled will microwave nicely to provide a quick snack but watch you don't nuke them and burn yourself on the filling :lol:

I'd love to hear how you go on Tim.

The gauntlet is down :wink:
Ian
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Return to The Watercooler