*The World Cup Thread*

Off-topic discussions about anything you please!

Moderator: gillian

*The World Cup Thread*

Postby Ian » Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:54 pm

With only a little over a week to go until the USA take on England in the worlds greatest sports tournament, I was wondering who on this board will be tuning in to cheer your own country's team onward and upward.

I bet the apathy will soon melt away if those Sherman tanks can overcome the odds and despatch the Limey upstarts.. I think I'd hear the chuckles of derision from Tim, all the way over here in dear old blighty.

God I love the world cup!

Normal life just seems to stop and revolves around TV schedules.
Ian
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby Rob » Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:04 pm

I'm rooting for the United States. And the Univision announcers.

Goooooooooooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaalllllllllllllllllllllllll!!!!!!!!!
You can't really dust for vomit.

-- Nigel Tufnel
Rob
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby sfboy » Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:01 am

I'm going to be in Brazil for the last 2 games. I hope Brazil makes it to the finals! It'll be nuts there.

Kevin
sfboy
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby Ian » Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:37 pm

Oh no, bummer!

I found out today that I've drawn the USA in the office sweep.

Wanting England to win is a given but now, even more, I want to see The States do well too.

Personally, I think both of us will qualify Group C but I do hope England top the group to get an easier passage in the knockout stages.

Huh! what am I saying?.. I know we'll get screwed, as usual, in a penalty shoot out before the semi's :cry:
Ian
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby Ian » Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:00 pm

Ian
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby Our Kid » Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:06 pm

World Cup??? COUNT ME IN!!!

I love this event. I will always be saddened that I live in a country where people show such outright derision for something that, in a small way for a small time, brings the world together in such a celebratory way. Slowly, though, I think things are changing here int he USA.

I watched the USA/England game at the Brewery I work at yesterday. We had a great time and there was a lot of lively banter due to the mix of Yanks and Brits we had.

Here is a shot of me and some of my mates during the match:

The guy with the sign in hand is my dear friend Russel Trunk, a man born and raised in Watford who ended up an Arsenal fan. He and I always spend a bit of time together during the World Cup, watching matches.

And this picture...

...was taken of myself and my new mate Rob. Rob had a funny accent and was sitting near my crew as we enjoyed the match. I asked him who he supported and he said...

"Stoke City."

Rob was born and raised in Stoke, and when he and his brothers were especially good around the house, his Mam would take them all off to the Vic for a match.

Wish you had been there, Ian!!!
"You could write a song about some kind of emotional problem you are having, but it would not be a good song, in my eyes, until it went through a period of sensitivity to a moment of clarity. Without that moment of clarity to contribute to the song, it's just complaining."

-Joni Mitchell-
Our Kid
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby Ian » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:12 am

Our Kid wrote:And this picture...

...was taken of myself and my new mate Rob. Rob had a funny accent and was sitting near my crew as we enjoyed the match. I asked him who he supported and he said...

"Stoke City."

Rob was born and raised in Stoke, and when he and his brothers were especially good around the house, his Mam would take them all off to the Vic for a match.

Wish you had been there, Ian!!!

Minted! lol

I kinda recognise the guy... how long has he been out in The States Tim? Did you ask him if he posted on The Oatcake?

That's so funny that another Stokie should happen to just turn up for the clash of our two nations mate. I'm just ashamed of you, that you were not wearing the Potters colours... I assume you told him of this affliction of yours?

As my inbox has been noteably devoid of such footie related chatter, I shall take this opportunity of throwing down the Pattynet gauntlet and daring you to post a decent pic of yourself wearing the famous red and white stripes on this thread.
8)

*edit* oh fuck yeah... I wish I coulda been there also... one day eh?
Ian
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby Rob » Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:47 pm

Our Kid wrote:And this picture...

"Stoke City."

Playing the caricature of the ignorant American...

A) That's not me. And I ain't got a funny accent.

B) I root for the Cosmos (now when is their match against the Red Wings?)

C) I was raised in Queens, home of the 1986 World Series Champions, New York Mets!!

Go USA and England and Ghana! And once again... the guy who yells goal.

-- Nigel Tufnel
Rob
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby Ian » Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:06 pm

Rob wrote:Playing the caricature of the ignorant American...

A) That's not me. And I ain't got a funny accent.

B) I root for the Cosmos (now when is their match against the Red Wings?)

C) I was raised in Queens, home of the 1986 World Series Champions, New York Mets!!

Go USA and England and Ghana! And once again... the guy who yells goal.

I'm glad you cleared that up Rob :lol:

but why Ghana?
Ian
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby Ian » Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:17 pm

Nobody here in England could believe it when Robert (Teflon gloves) Green let that soft goal in for your guys .... least of all this lil feller

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/DQM1S-L0pCs&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DQM1S-L0pCs&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>
Ian
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby Rob » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:29 am

Ian wrote:I'm glad you cleared that up Rob :lol:

but why Ghana?

I have a great friend from Ghana. Plus it would be really fun to see an African team go far.

And did I mention my support of everything Kiwi?

Unfortunately, they're not doing what the All-Blacks do.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/GkxaBKd8SwA&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/GkxaBKd8SwA&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

-- Nigel Tufnel
Rob
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby Ian » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:23 pm

Wow! I'm impressed you know about the Haka and one of the world's 'other' greatest games. :wink:

As you're probably aware, the Haka is a kind of tribal call to arms from the All Blacks, intended to frighten the opposition. So it's big meat when a team stand their ground against them.

With New Zealand having a greater population of sheep than people, it's no wonder The Welsh felt the need to assert themselves.
:lol:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6fYIUdVNFgU&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6fYIUdVNFgU&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
Ian
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby Jon » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:02 pm

Enjoying Mexico vs. France, rooting for Mexico!
Jon
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby Jon » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:06 pm

Blanco buries it! 2-0 Mexico.
Jon
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby Turk » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:15 pm

Ian -
That cat in the video just totally cracked me up!

Priceless...
Turk
Top of the World
Top of the World

Next

Return to The Watercooler