*The World Cup Thread*

Off-topic discussions about anything you please!

Moderator: gillian

Postby marybeth » Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:13 am

ha ha Rob!

Don't pitt me against Ian!
http://www.marybethdamico.com

Some people don't care if they live or they die
Some people want to know what it feels like to fly

Americana: "a nebulous category of misfits and acquired tastes, many of whom seem to have worn cowboy hats at one time or another" LA Times article
marybeth
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Rob » Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:30 am

marybeth wrote:ha ha Rob!

I would never. :twisted:
You can't really dust for vomit.

-- Nigel Tufnel
Rob
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby Ian » Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:26 pm

Rob wrote:
marybeth wrote:ha ha Rob!

I would never. :twisted:

I'm not getting drawn into this... no I'm not :wink:

Anyway.... are you fed up of them yet? Those Vuvuzela things I mean.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1BIgnEiT8ow&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1BIgnEiT8ow&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>
Ian
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby Rob » Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:50 pm

Ian wrote:Anyway.... are you fed up of them yet? Those Vuvuzela things I mean.

Charlton Heston speaking at the National Vuvuzela Association convention.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/syuQ4puoln8&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/syuQ4puoln8&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

-- Nigel Tufnel
Rob
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby marybeth » Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:49 am

I hate those horns!!!! It sounds like thousands of bees buzzing...and I don't know how the players can stand them.

I hate to break it to you Ian, but the BBC says this octopus has always been right before:

'Psychic' octopus predicts Germany victory over England

A "psychic" octopus is said by its aquarium owners to have predicted the country's football team will knock England out of the World Cup.

When consulted, Paul the octopus chose a mussel from a jar with the German flag on it ahead of one in a similar jar bearing the cross of St George.

The two-year-old cephalopod has a record of predicting past German results in this manner, his owners say.

Paul has so far correctly predicted all of Germany's results in South Africa.

His keepers say he correctly predicted 80% of Germany's results during the 2008 European Championship. In that contest, Germany finished as runners-up in their qualifying group, having lost only once to Croatia.

They then progressed to the final, where they were beaten by Spain.

If keepers at the Oberhausen Sea Life Aquarium are right, he correctly predicted the outcome of four of the six games in that competition.

National celebrity

"Paul's prediction was phenomenal," said aquarium spokesman Tanja Munzig.

"He swam straight over to the German glass, climbed in and even put a lid on top once he was sitting inside."

The octopus, which was born in the UK and was moved to the German aquarium, has become a national celebrity after correctly predicting Germany would beat Australia in their opening match, then lose to Serbia, and then beat Ghana.

His latest prediction was flashed all over the German media.

The container that Paul opens first is said to be his pick for who will win the impending match, keepers say.

Germany finished the initial stage of the World Cup top of Group D, and face England, the runners-up from group C, in Bloemfontein on Sunday.

Americana: "a nebulous category of misfits and acquired tastes, many of whom seem to have worn cowboy hats at one time or another" LA Times article
marybeth
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Ian » Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:00 am

Well Marybeth, if life's taught me one thing, it's never to take the word of an ex-pat octopus :wink:
Ian
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby marybeth » Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:13 am

Yes, expats are not to be trusted!

marybeth
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Rob » Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:18 am

marybeth wrote:'Psychic' octopus predicts Germany victory over England

Plenty of ways to work with an ex-pat octopus

-- Nigel Tufnel
Rob
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby Ian » Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:42 am

Oh and by the way. I have to thank USA for another bizarre reason and that is, because we only finished 2nd in our group, we will now be wearing our 'lucky' red kit when we face the Germans in Bloemfontein tomorrow. "This was the reason we beat the Hermans in 1966 and will be the reason we beat them tommorow", said Freddie the clairvoyant hamster from his cage in Siberia earlier today :D

Ian
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby Ian » Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:00 am

Beckenbauer, a World Cup winner as a player and a coach with West Germany, had labelled England as "stupid" for failing to secure top spot in Group C after poor performances in draws against the United States and Algeria, and accused them of playing "kick and rush" football.

Oh dear... What unfortunate words. As if the England squad needed firing up any more. The Kaiser is just asking for these words to be thrust right back down his teutonic cakehole lol.

And now it appears that Germany's 'Brazilian' striker Cacau is not fit to start the game.

The omens just keep getting better and better :wink:
Ian
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby Rob » Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:10 am

Ian wrote:Beckenbauer, a World Cup winner as a player and a coach with West Germany, had labelled England as "stupid" for failing to secure top spot in Group C after poor performances in draws against the United States and Algeria, and accused them of playing "kick and rush" football.

Beckenbauer?!? Despite the Jerries putting him in the starting lineup, he was absolutely useless in this match against the Greeks.

There's the ball, there's the ball...

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/F2kAnTZBnTg&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/F2kAnTZBnTg&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Hegel is arguing that the reality is merely an a priori adjunct of non-naturalistic ethics, Kant via the categorical imperative is holding that ontologically it exists only in the imagination, and Marx is claiming it was offside. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

-- Nigel Tufnel
Rob
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby marybeth » Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:35 pm

ah hem! Germany!

marybeth
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Ian » Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:07 pm

If I ever catch up with that octopus I'll rip his blimen tentacles off :wink:

I went out for a long woodland walk, straight after the game, to clear my head and have finally stopped ranting and raving about that pitiful performance by the England team. I can't even pretend to myself that the disallowed goal would have made much of a difference because it wouldn't. We were so poor I was even fearing that psychic paul was going to run out of hands on which to keep count of the score.
Ian
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby Arlene » Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:29 pm

Not sure which is worse-- to play pretty well through four games of the World Cup but run out of gas and lose to a team you really could have beaten, but whom you're glad to see advance, or to play pretty poorly for three of four World Cup games and lose to an arch enemy.....

Sorry Ian... :wink: (I have The Netherlands in my office pool so at this point, I'm rooting hard for Klary's countrymen....)
"You've got to sing like you don't need the money, love like you'll never get hurt. You've got to dance like no one is watching. It's gotta come from the heart, if you want it to work."
~Susannah Clark

"Ginger Rogers did everything that Fred Astaire did. She just did it backwards and in high heels." ~Molly Ivins

"If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes, only sooner."
~Tallulah Bankhead

Arlene
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Ian » Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:10 pm

Arlene wrote:Not sure which is worse-- to play pretty well through four games of the World Cup but run out of gas and lose to a team you really could have beaten, but whom you're glad to see advance, or to play pretty poorly for three of four World Cup games and lose to an arch enemy.....

That's a no brainer from where I'm sitting Arlene.
Perhaps wrongly, the USA are seen as an outside bet in these competitions but believe me, I'm stunned at how well the US have played in this tournament.
As a lover of football (or soccer as you call it), I'm really hoping that this years WC campaign will raise the profile of the sport in your country, so that more youngsters take it up.
I've seen quite a bit of Youtube footage of Americans celebrating in bars as their goals were scored. I wouldn't have imagined them getting so passionate as they were and it's kinda heartwarming to see actually.

Sorry Ian... :wink: (I have The Netherlands in my office pool so at this point, I'm rooting hard for Klary's countrymen....)

Don't worry, I've been an England and Stoke supporter for too long now to worry about the pain of defeat. I'm already looking forward to the European championship qualifiers and debating with my friends as to how we turn things around.
I also have a soft spot for the Dutch but I think I should stop short of giving them my support (or kiss of death as it's known)
Ian
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

PreviousNext

Return to The Watercooler