*The World Cup Thread*

Off-topic discussions about anything you please!

Moderator: gillian

Postby Our Kid » Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:38 am

BIG DAY today, with the USA and England playing their second games. I will, of course, see both of them and I hope you do, too...

Argentina looked VERY VERY good yesterday.
"You could write a song about some kind of emotional problem you are having, but it would not be a good song, in my eyes, until it went through a period of sensitivity to a moment of clarity. Without that moment of clarity to contribute to the song, it's just complaining."

-Joni Mitchell-
Our Kid
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby Ian » Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:27 am

Just watching Germany v Serbia on a stream at work.
I thought the standard of refereeing in this WC had been excellent... until now!!
Ahh well, Germany seem to have come worst off so far with a man sent off.. how sad.. what a shame.. never mind :lol:
1-0 up for the Serbs, so there's a party atmosphere at the office now.

Good luck to The USA for later this afternoon against Slovenia. A good result today will surely see you through to the next stage?
Ian
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby Ian » Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:35 pm

'You' were robbed by a biased referee. Great comeback though.

'We' on the other hand are playing like a team looking forward to getting the plane home and enjoying a day on the beach grrrr. Fortyfive minutes against the supposed weakest team in the group, if not the tournament and still we can't score.
Ian
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby Rob » Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:47 am

Ian wrote:'You' were robbed by a biased referee. Great comeback though.

I prefer not to bring politics into this. I favor using disabilities.

As in, 'hey ref, didja leave your seeing eye dog in the locker room?'

I don't even fully understand the rules but I know a travesty when I see one (and when I read a zillion things telling me it was one).

On a general note... Best. Football/Soccer. Video. Ever.

No Green Bay... brrrrr..... Green Bay
You can't really dust for vomit.

-- Nigel Tufnel
Rob
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby Ian » Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:54 pm

After last night's abject display in South Africa, England manager Fabio Capello, took his England squad to visit a local orphanage this morning.
"It's just so nice to be able to put a smile back on the faces of people with little hope, who are constantly struggling and facing the impossible"
said Jamal Umbotto, aged 6

;)
Ian
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby Our Kid » Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:11 am

I keep forgetting to rise to Ian's challenge...

That's me in my brand spanking new Stoke jersey, which Ian so generously sent me. I love it and I wish the English side would play in such a way that I felt more inclined to pull the thing on and support them.

I now await the reciprical shot of you and MS watching a WC match, ol' china...

Italy just looked like a hot mess as well against a very spirited New Zeland side...
"You could write a song about some kind of emotional problem you are having, but it would not be a good song, in my eyes, until it went through a period of sensitivity to a moment of clarity. Without that moment of clarity to contribute to the song, it's just complaining."

-Joni Mitchell-
Our Kid
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby Rob » Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:02 pm

Ian wrote:Wow! I'm impressed you know about the Haka and one of the world's 'other' greatest games. :wink:

This slipped my mind... but Tim brought it back.

I spent six weeks in New Zealand back in the mid 90's. I visited a Maori village where they welcome you with a haka. VERY serious business.

As for the other great game... still have my All Blacks jersey and hat.

Watched a bit of the 1-1 with Italy. Good on the All Whites!

-- Nigel Tufnel
Rob
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby Ian » Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:15 pm

Our Kid wrote:I now await the reciprical shot of you and MS watching a WC match, ol' china...

Well Tim, I really hope that I get the chance to do this but Mad Steve, believe it or not, is a deputy head teacher in a local school and as the game kicks off at 3pm GMT, he will be on duty and we won't be watching the game against Slovenia together.

As you are probably more than aware, our team may well be on the way home if we don't somehow conjour up a win, so any WC photocall may have to wait another 4 years :cry:

And as I'm having a minor procedure to remove a lump from my eyelid early on wednesday, I may not be feeling particularly photogenic anyway :shock:

Perhaps we could persuade Rob to pose for us in his All Blacks shirt instead :wink:
Ian
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby Rob » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:07 am

USA! USA! England! Ghana! New Zealand! Maradona! USA! USA!

That was nuts. I haven't screamed at a TV like that since the mid-90's Knicks.

-- Nigel Tufnel
Rob
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby Our Kid » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:26 pm

I was with my dear Brit friend, Russell this morning. He came over my place and I made a huge breakfast for us - eggs, sausages, bacon, muffins, tea and - of course - good English beer. I set two TVs up side by each and we watched both games as they unfolded.

I had a major mental when LD stuffed that rebound home. What a beautiful, beautiful thing!

USA and England go through. Life is good...

-Joni Mitchell-
Our Kid
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby Rob » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:23 am

:( :(

Kiwis.

Bugger.

But at least we, I mean they, finished ahead of Italy.

-- Nigel Tufnel
Rob
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby Ian » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:15 pm

Well, what can I say. The US go though, deservedly, as Group C leaders, while after a lacklustre start, England tuck in behind them to qualify for the knock out stages.
I was hoping that we'd have gone through in top spot to get the 'perceived' easier game against Rob's 'other' team, Ghana, instead we get paired with our auld enemy, the Germans.
That one will be a toughie but hopefully we can now raise our game and if we play with the conviction we showed in our final group game, then this is a game that's entirely winnable.
Ghana on the other hand would have been opposition we might have underestimated. These African sides are no longer the 'mugs' of world football though and will give you a close game.
However, I've been so impressed with the spirit in the USA camp and even when it seemed like you were up against not only eleven men but the referee too (two perfectly good goals chalked off imho) you've shown the grit needed sometimes in football to come through.
And what about that Donovan guy eh? I bet he's not been so popular in The States since he released that song about The hurdy gurdy man :lol:

Hey! what would be the odds on us going all the way and meeting again in the final? Ok Ok, we have the small matter of Germany and then probably the favourites, Argentina to beat along the way... but it's nice to dream yes?

GOARRRNNN ENGLAND !

GOARRRNNN USA !

and allowing myself a smug little chuckle at the French and the Italians too
Ian
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby Rob » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:28 pm

Ian wrote:I was hoping that we'd have gone through in top spot to get the 'perceived' easier game against Rob's 'other' team, Ghana, instead we get paired with our auld enemy, the Germans.

They say Ghana will be tougher because unless Ivory Coast scores like 420 goals against North Korea to get in, they'll have the entire continent rooting for them. That's the intangible. Also, seeing as every person I've ever met from Ghana has been so damn nice, it's hard to root 'against' them. I would rather have played the Germans. It's easier to gin up fake animosity toward the Hun. Hopefully, the English will be spitting some fire for that match.

Ian wrote:And what about that Donovan guy eh?

I just assumed he's rooting for Brazil... Mellow Yellow and all.

And getting back to the haka, I found some alternative footage of the New Zealand-Wales standoff. Wales lost that game but I wish I understood more about rugby. I get lost in the rucking, scrumming, mauling and all that. One thing's for sure, if the toughest of NFL teams ever faced a haka, they would run out of the stadium, helmets, pads and all.

-- Nigel Tufnel
Rob
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby marybeth » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:57 pm

Go Germany! :-)
http://www.marybethdamico.com

Some people don't care if they live or they die
Some people want to know what it feels like to fly

Americana: "a nebulous category of misfits and acquired tastes, many of whom seem to have worn cowboy hats at one time or another" LA Times article
marybeth
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Rob » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:41 am

marybeth wrote:Go Germany! :-)

Time to ratchet up the propaganda...

(Oddly enough, she kinda resembles you, MB)

-- Nigel Tufnel
Rob
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

PreviousNext

Return to The Watercooler