A Techy Question, Please!

Off-topic discussions about anything you please!

Moderator: gillian

A Techy Question, Please!

Postby Turk » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:53 pm

For some reason all the CD-Rom drives on my PC have lost their drivers. I have a regular CD-Rom, a DVD drive and an external DVD-RW. I checked the device manager and it won't let me update the drivers, or roll back or anything.

I don't have a Windows XP disc to try and repair or reinstall the drivers.

I checked the Sony website (maker of the computer) and it seems they no longer support my version. Bastards.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
Turk
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby TontoBronto » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:54 am

Disclaimer: I use a Mac and am relatively unfamiliar with Windows problems.

But aren't drivers from the manufacturers of the peripherals? If you're still using a Lite-On external DVD, try to get the appropriate driver from Lite-On support?

There ARE also generic sites that archive drivers, as evidenced in the following thread--
http://forums.techguy.org/hardware/5286 ... urner.html
TontoBronto
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Turk » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:39 am

Thanks for the response, Bruce.

I did download the drivers for my LiteOn player from their website. The problem there is that my computer doesn't recognize the LiteOn or the other 2 connected disk ROMs. The only indication they are there is if I use the hardware 'device manager'. And that indicates that I have no existing drivers for any of the devices. I posted this problem on a tech forum and the best they could suggest would be to reinstall Windows, and this computer didn't come with the XP disc.

Thanks again.
Turk
Top of the World
Top of the World

Re: A Techy Question, Please!

Postby Rob » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:49 am

Turk wrote:For some reason all the CD-Rom drives on my PC have lost their drivers. I have a regular CD-Rom, a DVD drive and an external DVD-RW. I checked the device manager and it won't let me update the drivers, or roll back or anything.

I don't have a Windows XP disc to try and repair or reinstall the drivers.

I checked the Sony website (maker of the computer) and it seems they no longer support my version. Bastards.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

TontoBronto wrote:Disclaimer: I use a Mac and am relatively unfamiliar with Windows problems.

I claim Bruce's disclaimer... but I remember being frustrated at many points by lost drivers when I used a PC.

Does it give you the names of these lost drivers when it tells you they're lost? If so, post them. I have someone who's pretty good at tracking that kind of stuff down and maybe he can help.

And I could never figure out why these drivers didn't just stop and ask for directions. Must be stubborn male drivers without GPS.
You can't really dust for vomit.

-- Nigel Tufnel
Rob
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby Turk » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:09 am

Rob wrote:Does it give you the names of these lost drivers when it tells you they're lost? If so, post them. I have someone who's pretty good at tracking that kind of stuff down and maybe he can help.

And I could never figure out why these drivers didn't just stop and ask for directions. Must be stubborn male drivers without GPS.

Hahaha. I for one don't mind asking for directions.

It doesn't give the name of the specific drivers needed that are lost. The disk drives on my machine are:

Pioneer DVD-ROM (DVD-117R)
and
Sony CD-RW (CRX1753)

I have scanned for viruses that may have possibly zapped the drivers but everything indicates that all is well there.

I wish I could afford a MAC!

Thanks for the response, Rob.
Turk
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Rob » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:28 pm

Turk wrote: Pioneer DVD-ROM (DVD-117R) and Sony CD-RW (CRX1753)

We found quite a bit on problems with the Pioneer and it's driver, but practically nothing on the Sony. And what we found was fairly unintelligible. Is the Sony number correct?

And can you do a screen grab of what, if anything, pops up when it's hassling you?

If all else fails, there's always this option. And who knows, after that, it may run better.
You can't really dust for vomit.

-- Nigel Tufnel
Rob
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby TontoBronto » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:48 pm

Turk wrote:... a tech forum suggested to reinstall Windows, and this computer didn't come with the XP disc.

Thanks again.

I sent you that bootleg XP disc long ago. I suppose you've lost that???
It was Windows eXtra niPple I believe.
TontoBronto
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Turk » Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:36 pm

TontoBronto wrote:
Turk wrote:... a tech forum suggested to reinstall Windows, and this computer didn't come with the XP disc.

Thanks again.

I sent you that bootleg XP disc long ago. I suppose you've lost that???
It was Windows eXtra niPple I believe.

I wouldn't say it's lost as much as displaced. I did make a major move since you sent that disc, along with another OS disc. I've found the Steve Earle stuff that came in that same package but have yet to locate the extra nipple---the one on the disc anyway. :wink:
I know it's here somewhere.....

Rob -
I like option number two!
Turk
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Turk » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:45 pm

Rob wrote:And can you do a screen grab of what, if anything, pops up when it's hassling you?

If all else fails, there's always this option. And who knows, after that, it may run better.

The YouTube video is a hoot! And so apropos.

I'm not sure how to do a screen grab. :oops:

Thanks for your help though!

I uninstalled my external DVD drive and reinstalled, then checked "my computer." It recognizes it as some kind of drive but can't discern what it is, and has a huge red question mark stamped on it.
Weird.

It also seems the "plug and play" function doesn't work properly. I'm still trying to find that disc that Bruce had sent to try and do a windows repair.
Turk
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby TontoBronto » Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:47 am

Turk wrote:
It also seems the "plug and play" function doesn't work properly. I'm still trying to find that disc that Bruce had sent to try and do a windows repair.

Remember that my disc is a bootleg, so a complete reinstall might not be a great idea.
The techies who might be recommending that may be assuming that you've got a bona fide Windows disc with a certificate of Authenticity (or whatever it's called) that was included with the purchase of your computer.

I've been happy with the inauthentic Windows XP, but I've only used it on backup computers. It might not suit your needs as well??

Have you tried "Safe Mode"? I think that offers some ability to diagnose problems.
TontoBronto
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Turk » Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:25 pm

I haven't tried the Safe Mode yet but did find the extra nipple disc!

Will let you know the results.

Thanks so much for all the suggestions!
Turk
Top of the World
Top of the World

Return to The Watercooler