Calling All Sports Fans for the First Down

Off-topic discussions about anything you please!

Moderator: gillian

Postby Our Kid » Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:25 pm

Congratulations to our girls, the U.S. Womens National Soccer team!

In one of the BEST matches I have ever seen in the mens or womens game, we defeated the amazing side from Brazil to repeat as Olympic champions. Well, I didn't see all of it as I was at work, but what I saw was absolutely amazing. Both teams punched and counter-punched relentlessly for 120 minutes.

I'm hoping against hope that the game willl be replayed tonight so I can sit down and enjoy it in all its intense glory.
"You could write a song about some kind of emotional problem you are having, but it would not be a good song, in my eyes, until it went through a period of sensitivity to a moment of clarity. Without that moment of clarity to contribute to the song, it's just complaining."

-Joni Mitchell-
Our Kid
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby keith from ny » Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:55 pm

A big shout out to our volleyball champs Kerri & Misty, and not just for looking so good in wet bikinis last night. I think I've seen all their televised matches in the last two Olympics, they are truly amazing athletes and team players with an enormous amount of heart.

That Osain Bolt is one speedy fella, ain't he?
Last edited by keith from ny on Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I don't know nothing except change will come
keith from ny
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby outta » Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:25 pm

They were great! It's been a helluva show!
"Tell me the truth, you sweet son of a bitch"
Browncoat
outta
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby Fool On Fire » Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:05 pm

I love going straight from the Olympics to preseason football. It makes my little sports-fan heart go pitter patter.

go team u.s.a., go panthers, and fuck a lot of the patriots,
~Elise
I've become the beggar now, and you've become the saint somehow
twist the words and place the blame, and tell me now, aren't we the same?

-- Amy Ray

born under a bad sign, been down since I began to crawl
if it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have no luck at all

-- Albert King

the saints and all the martyrs look down on dying converts
"what makes the water holy," she said, "is that it's the closest thing to rain..."

-- Josh Ritter

...the blues is the roots...everything else is the fruits...
Fool On Fire
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby keith from ny » Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:36 pm

Another shout out to the awesome Rogers & Dalhauser for capturing the men's title yesterday for the first ever men + women's U.S. gold in beach volleyball.

I think a knife would make a bigger splash entering the pool than Roulin Chen.

Good thing the Olympics are winding down, I need more sleep!
I don't know nothing except change will come
keith from ny
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby outta » Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:49 pm

Fool On Fire wrote:I love going straight from the Olympics to preseason football. It makes my little sports-fan heart go pitter patter.

go team u.s.a., go panthers, and fuck a lot of the patriots,
~Elise

Elise, I just want to tell you that your last line made me lol! Re-reading it again ... another laugh!

That's pretty fun! I think you ought to put that line in a song ...
"Tell me the truth, you sweet son of a bitch"
Browncoat
outta
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby sandina » Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:01 pm

keith from ny wrote:
Good thing the Olympics are winding down, I need more sleep!

LOL! You too? A few nights ago, I woke up at about 4am and realized Tim wasn't in bed sleeping with me. I found him staring at the TV watching the olympics. I just shook my head & kept repeating "ridiculous" to myself. I mean, seriously! That's just RIDICULOUS.
sandina
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby Our Kid » Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:40 pm

Olympics were a shamba-dinga bang bang but its good not to be up 'till 4 in the morning anymore. How about that German weightlifter? Story of the Olympics for me this time around.

I come form a family of swimmers, so that pool of events (groans abounding) is always great to watch. The men's 200 relay was probably the best single race I ever saw.

Glad to see that they got Usain Bolt's last name right. He's Jamaican, you know...

Which leads to...

One of Usain Bolt's best mates back home in Jamaica is a footballer named Ricardo Fuller. Last Staurday he scored as lovely a goal as you will ever see. He plays for a team in England called Stoke City...

I am late in doing this, but Big Cheers to the clayheads, er, Potters of Stoke on Trent in England for a super win over Aston Villa this past Saturday. Stoke was promoted to the English Premier League last spring and returned to the Top Flight football for the first time in 23 years. After getting beat to a pulp in their first Prem match the previous weekend and then getting a right kicking in the press for a week, the lads played their first match at home on the nation's Big Stage five days ago. With the back-and-forth affair showing a full 90 minutes played on the clock and the score at level, Stoke's Mamady Sidibe headed home the winner and the place erupted. Or should I say that "a major mental ensued"?

From what I have heard, certain residents had to be scraped off their respective ceilings the next afternoon. Cheers, Ian and GOOOAAARRRNNNNN STOKE!

College football starts tonight. I'm with Lisey. This is a great time of year. I bet even Zimmo's excited.

Don't put the grill away just yet...

Let There Be Love,

Timski
"You could write a song about some kind of emotional problem you are having, but it would not be a good song, in my eyes, until it went through a period of sensitivity to a moment of clarity. Without that moment of clarity to contribute to the song, it's just complaining."

-Joni Mitchell-
Our Kid
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby Rob » Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:35 pm

Great game!

Other than the Giants, the Steelers are my favorite team. Put me through the ringer tonight but what a finish.

Right now I'm enjoying that the Giants and Steelers won back-to-back Super Bowls. And oddly enough, both their game-winning TDs came with :35 left in the game. I'm thinking it's gonna be tough to keep that streak alive.
You can't really dust for vomit.

-- Nigel Tufnel
Rob
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby Our Kid » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:59 pm

I thought the Superbowl was great. It's great when the hour of football stacks up well against the weeks of hype. I liked both teams so it was a total pleasure watching such a great game (apart from all the penalties by both teams).

...and speaking of football, Ian is rubbing it in a bit to me these days, right under everyone's noses. It is one of my favorite PattyNet moments ever, for sure. In case you all haven't realized it yet, the guy is a totall hoot.

GOOOAAARRRRNNN STOKE!!!

I know Citeh will be there next year, and I'd prefer the Potters to keep their seat at the table.

-Joni Mitchell-
Our Kid
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby Ian » Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:15 am

Oh yeah! As if I'd do anything like that Tim
:P

Image Image
Ian
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby Ian » Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:47 am

More gratuitous crowing that my li'l team, who are rubbing shoulders with giants this season, are still hanging in there, despite all the doubters who said that we'd disappear down quicker than a pint of Tim's IPA :lol:

I know this won't mean a lot to many of you but when you've supported your team through the bad times, I'm sure there are some who will empathise with what it feels like to pop your head up into the sunshine for a change.

Oh and yeah..... we all do sound like that in Stoke :wink:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jedNumPDeqI&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jedNumPDeqI&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jedNumPDeqI
Ian
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby Our Kid » Sat May 09, 2009 2:57 pm

Ian wrote:More gratuitous crowing that my li'l team, who are rubbing shoulders with giants this season, are still hanging in there, despite all the doubters who said that we'd disappear down quicker than a pint of Tim's IPA :lol:

I know this won't mean a lot to many of you but when you've supported your team through the bad times, I'm sure there are some who will empathise with what it feels like to pop your head up into the sunshine for a change.

Oh and yeah..... we all do sound like that in Stoke :wink:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jedNumPDeqI&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jedNumPDeqI&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jedNumPDeqI

And now let me tell you all this:

WE ARE STAYING UP!!!

Way back in 200something, when I first joined TDtT, I met Ian. We started a lively private discourse straightaway which has never abated. I love him dearly in the strangest of cross-cultural ways, I live for the day I see him Chevy to Chevy, and I will never forget the day he asked me to join him in support of Stoke City Football Club. I have been a rabid soccer fan my entire life, but I had never even heard of Stoke City FC. Today, I follow them almost more closely than my beloved Manchester City.

This has been a glorious season for Ian and Stoke fans everywhere. To put this amazing run in some perspective:

Stoke lost their first game of the season way back in August of 2008. After taking a rather sound beating, 3-0, bookies around England announced that they would pay out on all bets made for Stoke to be relegated (sent down a division by being one of the bottom three teams in their league). Think about that - relegation bets paid after ONE GAME. Nobody gave the Potters a chance to make anything good of their (so people thought) one year up in the Premiership.

Today, life at the top next season was assured and I bet the Marstons is flowing like so much water in the Potteries. Lord knows that the celebration is well-deserved.

WHY WHY WHY, DELILAH
WHY WHY WHY, DELILAH
SO BEFORE THEY COME TO BREAK DOWN THE DOOR
FORGIVE ME DELILAH
I JUST COULDN'T TAKE ANY MORE

Let There Be Love (and Oatcakes),

Timski

-Joni Mitchell-
Our Kid
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby Ian » Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:47 pm

Confederation Cup final

USA Vs Brazil in Johannesburg.. LIVE

and you fookers are 1-0 up already :shock:

GOAL!!! USA have taken the lead through Clint Dempsey, who scores his third goal in five appearances! A low cross is whipped in from the right wing by Jonathan Spector, and Dempsey gets a faint glancing touch to beat Julio Cesar!

I hope you're all joining Tim and yelling your boys home?

GOARRRRNNNN you Shermans!!!
Ian
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby Rob » Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:46 am

Ian wrote:Confederation Cup final

USA Vs Brazil in Johannesburg.. LIVE

and you fookers are 1-0 up already :shock:

GOAL!!! USA have taken the lead through Clint Dempsey, who scores his third goal in five appearances! A low cross is whipped in from the right wing by Jonathan Spector, and Dempsey gets a faint glancing touch to beat Julio Cesar!

I hope you're all joining Tim and yelling your boys home?

GOARRRRNNNN you Shermans!!!

Last word.

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AU1M9wHpH6k&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AU1M9wHpH6k&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>
You can't really dust for vomit.

-- Nigel Tufnel
Rob
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

PreviousNext

Return to The Watercooler