Calling All Sports Fans for the First Down

Off-topic discussions about anything you please!

Moderator: gillian

Postby Rob » Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:27 pm

Here's what I wrote in to Salon.com regarding the Seahawks. Sorry to all you Seattle fans....

(Disclaimer: I'm a Steelers fan)

About Washington:

Seattle didn't exactly kill the Redskins. It was a 17-10 game with 12:47 left in the 4th when the Skins connected for a TD. Seattle then fumbled the ensuing kickoff and were saved when the Skins couldn't do anything and even missed a 36 yard FG. And while Brunell put up a respectable 242 yards passing, 154 of those yards came when the Skins were down 17-3 in the 4th. All this speaks to the fact that the Redskins, who managed to gain a staggering 120 yards against the Bucs, were not exactly an offensive juggernaut. Seattle should have really killed them, and they didn't.

About Carolina:

Carolina's offense was pretty banged up, and when your only real threat becomes one guy (Steve Smith), it ain't difficult for a defense to key in on him. Carolina was crippled offensively and their best defensive player (Peppers) was hurt as well.

In General:

The Seahawks are a 13-3 team that had a soft schedule and hasn't played a tough team in the playoffs. Their division was the only one in the NFL with three losing teams, meaning they got six games against losers (Rams, 49ers and Cardinals) to begin with. Throw in Houston, Tennessee, Philly and Green Bay, and a good team really does have a chance to go 13-3. But it's not a tested team. (Yeah, I know Green Bay beat them, but the starters were rested in that, the last game of the season)

Of the winning teams they did play (Jags, Giants, Skins, Colts and Cowboys) they lost two of those (Skins and Jags), should have lost a third (Giants), squeaked by the Cowboys, and beat a Colts team resting their starters.

So to me, the Seahawks are a question mark. They absolutely did what a good team is supposed to do, and that's beat lesser opponents. But when it comes to better ones, there are problems.

Sum up... I think the Seahawks have a good team, but the way the Steelers are playing, I don't think they can beat them. That being said...

On any given Sunday...
You can't really dust for vomit.

-- Nigel Tufnel
Rob
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby Elizabeth » Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:36 pm

Dude, Rob, no offense but I could go and find about ten thousand articles just like that one. You are not telling us something we haven't already heard.

Everyone can keep on saying we were in a weak division, duh, we were. We know that. As we all know what happens in the regular season does not matter during the playoffs.

"Of the winning teams they did play (Jags, Giants, Skins, Colts and Cowboys) they lost two of those (Skins and Jags), should have lost a third (Giants), squeaked by the Cowboys, and beat a Colts team resting their starters."

I could say SO many things about this statement but man, I am not even going to waste me breath.

I am not cocky about my team. We here in the great northwest don't do things that way. We have a silent confidence. We love and believe in our team just as much as the die hards in Pittsburgh, we just aren't rude about it.

It is taking a really easy way out to write us off and say "They are from a weak division" regardless of all we have accomplished. Yet people just continue to say it.
Elizabeth
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby Rob » Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:48 am

I know you said "no offense" but why the seemingly insulting tone, Liz?

I was simply stating my opinion, rather clinically I must say, about the Seahawks. And just because you can supposedly find ten thousand articles about MY observations doesn't make it okay for YOU to deride them.

Maybe, just maybe, there are people on this board who are not as fanatic about the Seahawks as you are and might not know that info.

As to "we all know what happens in the regular season does not matter during the playoffs," I think I addressed that when I said "on any given Sunday," which, means that any team can beat any other on any day.

As to not wasting your breath on my observations about the winning teams the Seahawks played, what was so wrong with my basic assessment? They lost to the Jaguars and Redskins; they beat the Giants because Jay Feeley missed not one... not two... but three game-winning field goals; they beat the Cowboys by the skin of their teeth on a last second field goal that only happened because Bledsoe got intercepted while the Cowboys were driving for a game-winning FG; and they beat a Colts team that had already clinched home-field and didn't really play Manning, Harrison, Brackett, Mathis and Freeney (to name just a few of the Colts key starters who were being rested) while meanwhile, the Seahawks were playing all their starters in an effort to clinch home-field advantage for the playoffs in the NFC.

That points to questions about the team's ability to win against tougher opponents as opposed to some of the weaker teams they beat in the regular season. And the Skins team they beat in the playoffs had no offense and the Panthers team they beat was totally beat up offensively, with their best defensive player playing hurt, as well.

Now that's not "writing them off," or belittling their accomplishments, it's merely, as I said, a clinical review of the team's season to this point. Not everyone who says the Seahawks played in a weak division say it out of disrespect to the team and their fans. Really. Good God, what do you think they do in Las Vegas?

Furthermore, in my defense, I even called the Seahawks a good team!

I know you don't get much sunlight out there in Seattle, but lighten up, it's only a game. :D

-- Nigel Tufnel
Rob
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby Elizabeth » Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:27 am

Rob, sorry I came off so rude. We have to agree to disagree on some of your points. But you do indeed have a right to them. And I thought your post was good, actually. I have this aggression built up over all the media hoopla, I didn't mean to aim it at you.

I think we in Seattle have become really over protective of our team, I mean we go from nobody knowing or caring who we are to everybody (not meaning you) tearing us apart. It's been rough and we still have almost two freaking weeks left.

Seriously, my Dad is one of the most diehard Seahawks fans (that's where I get it from) and to see them get this far is his dream. That's what I love. But with all the negative publicity it has gotten really bittersweet.

But yes, it is just a game and regardless of what happens it has been a great season and we have had fun.

And guess what? We got lots of sunshine today... before the fog rolled in a couple hours later.
Elizabeth
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby Rob » Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:57 am

No worries, Liz. I understand how it can be frustrating in situations like that. I worked for John Kerry, after all. And I still defend the Democrats! And sorry to sound defensive in my post. I should have been a little lighter myself, and I live 3000 miles from Seattle.

That being said....

About the Seahawks.... they are pathetic. No playoff wins in 20 years before this season. I think the Hebrew Home for the Aged beat them a few years back. My grandmother rushed for 230 against them. They should have traded some of their players for a box of footballs, a kicking net, and some endzone paint to be named later. If I owned that team, I would have sold them years ago to the North Koreans for some surplus Kim Jong Il posters. Their TV rights should have been auctioned off to ESPN 37, where the big draw is sawdust eating contests. Matt Hasselphuffer, or whatever his name is, couldn't complete a pass to the Pacific Ocean if he was standing next to it. Furthermore, I think the Seahwaks will have a better chance of winning the Super Bowl if they pay a bunch of 6 year-olds from a local football team to play for them. The tots probably had a tougher schedule this year than the boys from Seattle.

GO STEELERS!!!

(Now that's how you do rude and obnoxious) :lol:

-- Nigel Tufnel
Rob
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby Elizabeth » Thu Jan 26, 2006 2:05 am

All I have to say is, my dog knows what's up.

Elizabeth
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby Rob » Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:16 am

That's it. You have now gone over the line. I am calling the ASPCA.

(What a great looking dog, by the way. What's his/her name?)

-- Nigel Tufnel
Rob
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby Elizabeth » Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:55 am

LOL Rob!

That would be my little Henry. That pic was taken at the beginning of the season, he is now about three times that size. And he is a Hawks fan, he watches the games and when I jump and yell, so does he.
Elizabeth
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby Rob » Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:45 am

Elizabeth wrote:That would be my little Henry.... he is a Hawks fan, he watches the games and when I jump and yell, so does he.

Guess you guys won't be getting much of a workout come Super Bowl Sunday. :wink:

You should send that picture to VideoDog at Salon.com. http://www.salon.com/ent/video_dog/

Amongst all the video clips, they put up dog photos. Henry has those great, innocent, slightly sad, and gorgeous Black Lab eyes. I think they'd post Henry, considering he's actually topical and considering that in my opinion, some of the other shots are just plain average.

-- Nigel Tufnel
Rob
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby Elizabeth » Mon Jan 30, 2006 5:35 am

Rob wrote:Guess you guys won't be getting much of a workout come Super Bowl Sunday. :wink:

Oh, you are just so clever! But nah, we'll be having a good time regardless of the outcome. The Seahawks are in the freaking Superbowl, dude!!! (not that you care, it is just finally starting to sink in is all)

STEELERS SUCK!! GO HAWKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(btw, I did send that pic of Henry to VideoDog, so, we'll see if they use it)
Elizabeth
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

SuperDrinks for the Superbowl!

Postby scottz » Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:26 pm

Oh this is sooo good!
STOLICHNAYA & TROPICANA = SCREWDRIVERS!

I heart Stoli! Mmmmmmmmmm :lol:

Go get some! Well, after the game then. :P

The Steelers may need a little pick-me-up! :P
Waiting for Lightning...
scottz
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby sandina » Sun Feb 05, 2006 9:21 pm

Let's see.....our libations:

Tim: Fuller's London Pride & Jim Beam shots

Sandi: 2 sips of Tiddy's at the beginning of each half (I am so buzzed on pain killers I didn't really need much help in this area)

Great game today. Both teams played well. Good officiating.

But wow, the commercials were lame and the pre-game/half show entertainment were even worse! I can't even think of one of the commercials - very unremarkable.

Ok, hopefully this post made enough sense, I'm sort of buzzed right now.

Congrats to the Steelers!
sandina
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby ScottG » Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:24 pm

sandina wrote:Good officiating.
???

San, Step away from the Vicodin.
"Indifferent, but distanced perfectly
Projected endlessly, it’s so FUCKING beautiful!!!"
ScottG
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby Rob » Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:35 am

The ads were mostly lame. But I thought the Fed Ex caveman bit was actually pretty funny.

But congrats to the Bus and Bill and even Ben, who threw, perhaps, one of the worst passes I've ever seen on that pickoff. Of course his heave across the field on 3rd and 173 to Hines Ward, where he actually stopped to look at the line of scrimmage was pretty good. But all in all, not a great day for Ben. Antwaan Randle El looked better on his one pass than Ben looked all day.

Pretty kooky game, though. What Holmgren was doing at the end I have no idea. It was pretty much over on that last series but his management of the game there will come under some scrutiny. They shoulda kicked the 42 yard FG, done the onside kick, and prayed.

Anyway, we got one for the thumb. It wasn't pretty, but the Bus goes out on top! Yahoo!

To all you Seahawk fans (Liz!), just remember the cry of the long-suffering Brooklyn Dodger fans, Wait 'Til Next Year! You will have your 1955, and it will be sweet.

-- Nigel Tufnel
Rob
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby Elizabeth » Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:32 am

AND THE MVP OF THE SUPER BOWL IS.........the REFEREES!!!!

I will tell you, our biggest fear was the refs. It is so heartbreaking to see a game literally ripped from you. We were all stunned and I was literally in tears at some points in the game.

Favoritism dictated this game. It would have been really interesting to see what would have happened had we just been able to play. But what can you do?

Now clearly, we did not play our best today. We had a huge chip on our shoulder from all the media bullshit. And we made a lot of mistakes. I am not totally blaming the shitty crooked ass refs.

Rob, we all thought they were going for the field goal and the onside. Really don't know what that was about. I think Mike was in shock over the officiating, but he was making weird calls all game.

It's just so heartbreaking. But Seattle is still proud of them. There is going to be a big parade in Seattle tomorrow for them when they get back. Now we just focus on next year and try to get back in it.

But damn, this one hurts. Anyway, the game is over, Pittsburgh got their beloved win, that's that.
Elizabeth
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

PreviousNext

Return to The Watercooler