Calling All Sports Fans for the First Down

Off-topic discussions about anything you please!

Moderator: gillian

Postby TontoBronto » Sat Nov 11, 2006 7:57 am

Mis wrote:I am SO happy that football season has started again...let's go Big 10! :D

Well, the Big 10 DOES have the top 2 ranked teams in the world!!

But what's a hawkeye?? :wink:
TontoBronto
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Arlene » Sat Nov 11, 2006 1:13 pm

Tonto Yoder wrote:But what's a hawkeye?? :wink:

A doctor stuck in a m*a*s*h unit during the Korean War! (God, I miss that show)
"You've got to sing like you don't need the money, love like you'll never get hurt. You've got to dance like no one is watching. It's gotta come from the heart, if you want it to work."
~Susannah Clark

"Ginger Rogers did everything that Fred Astaire did. She just did it backwards and in high heels." ~Molly Ivins

"If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes, only sooner."
~Tallulah Bankhead

Arlene
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Our Kid » Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:03 pm

BO SCHEMBECHLER: 1929-2006

For those of us who grew up here in Michigan, loving our MEEchigan football, he was and will aways be, General Bo George Patton Schembechler.

Bo survived two heart attacks (the first one in 1969), two quadruple heart bypass surgeries, two different pacemakers and many years of diabetes. He was a walking medical miracle.

Bo coached Michigan for 20 years and NEVER had a losing season. He led his team to 13 Big Ten Championships. His overall record was a staggering 194-48-5.

In today's world of athletics in general and collegiate athletics in particular, where athletes have become criminals and thugs so often and where schools run filthy, corrupt programs, we could use more men like Bo.

When one of his players got into serious out of state legal trouble, Bo drove the player to Wisconsin himself to turn the kid in and put him in jail, AND THEN supported the kid and helped mentor him back to a good, honest life.

His players are known for saying that Bo made them great football players but more importantly, better people. He was ultimately more concerned with character and honor than winning and losing and that is what made him and his teams great.

In the late 1980s when, as athletic director of the University of Michigan, Bo was informed by then-basketball coach Bill Frieder that Frieder had taken the job to coach Arizona State University's team on the eve of the NCAA basketball tournament, Bo was livid. Frieder told Bo that he intended to coach out the season with Michigan and then leave for the increased money at ASU. Bo fired him on the spot and said he would not tolerate such activity in his school's program.

He was one tough sonofabitch. He was also a great human being. That's always a hell of a combination.

May he rest in Peace...
"You could write a song about some kind of emotional problem you are having, but it would not be a good song, in my eyes, until it went through a period of sensitivity to a moment of clarity. Without that moment of clarity to contribute to the song, it's just complaining."

-Joni Mitchell-
Our Kid
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby Ian » Fri Nov 17, 2006 2:44 pm

Today is a sad day, as the soccer world lost one of the greatest players of all time.

Although I only ever saw Ferenc Puskas play once, in a testimonial game after he had retired, I heard so many good things about him off my father and uncles who were passionate about the game.

Puskas was part of the Hungarian side of the fifties who took the soccer world by storm by becoming the first team to beat England on their own soil (utilising a revolutionary 4-3-3 system),

Puskas scored an incredible 83 goals in his 84 games for Hungary and but for injury would have surely led his nation to victory in the 54 world cup (they lost to Germany in the final without him).

Moving to Spain at the peak of his career Ferenc signed for Real Madrid and won three European titles, as well as many more domestic trophys, scoring 512 goals in 528 games along the way.

In these days where sportsmen are making more from one product endorsement than the like of Puskas would gross in a year, it is worth pointing out that the word 'legend' is now used too cheaply.

Puskas was/is a REAL legend

"As the last millennium drew to a close, Puskas was voted the 20th century's sixth best player by the International Federation for Football History and Statistics"

Says it all really

Puskas died today aged 79 after battling Alzheimer's disease for six years

RIP
Ian
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby Jon » Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:32 pm

I'm not much of a soccer fan but ran across this video of a great goal by a fellow named Matthew Taylor...a perfect shot, really. Just amazing to see the ball get blown by the goalie from so far away, he had no play on it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQi1T-dE8Hk
Jon
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby karla » Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:33 am

If you didn't catch the Fiesta Bowl yesterday, you missed a great football game. Boise State beat Oklahoma in overtime - lots of thrilling moments for both sides. It was good to see an underdog from the west beat a big-name school, even though I'm not a BSU fan. Also, MY school, Oregon State, won its bowl game (Sun Bowl) last week with a gutsy 2-point conversion at the last minute (20 seconds, actually). Life is good!

All footballed out,

Karla
It's hard to give, it's hard to get, ...
but everybody needs a little forgiveness.
karla
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby Mis » Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:12 am

Tonto Yoder wrote:
Mis wrote:I am SO happy that football season has started again...let's go Big 10! :D

Well, the Big 10 DOES have the top 2 ranked teams in the world!!

But what's a hawkeye?? :wink:

A losing team. LOL

I have to say though, I thought we were going to get smashed by Texas at the Alamo Bowl - losing by 2 points at the end of the game is not too bad by our standards. What a crap season for us. Will be interesting to see how things go next year with our senior quarterback leaving...I'm not that inspired. But I'll cheer the black and gold no matter what, so whatevah.
Liars
are lying
Airplanes
are flying
Love isn't here
Love isn't here
But it's somewhere...
Mis
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby karla » Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:15 am

It's bragging time for me. My cousin Brett Smith is a pitcher for the Trenton Thunder, a AA club of the NY Yankees. He had his first AA win on Saturday, pitching a no-hitter for 7 innings. He has 20 strikeouts in 17 innings pitched. He may be pitching for NY one day soon, so I may have to become a Yankees fan (ouch!).
It's hard to give, it's hard to get, ...
but everybody needs a little forgiveness.
karla
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby Turk » Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:01 pm

Wow, Karla. That's great!
Brett Smith sounds like a hall-of-fame name.
Too bad he's in the Yankee farm system. Oh well, he's gotta start somewhere.

Sorry, Arlene.
Turk
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Ian » Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:19 pm

As the season reaches it's climax, my beloved Stoke City have clawed their way back from mid table obscurity to the brink of a place in the play off finals for a place in The Premiership next season.

This picture captures the joy of our supporters after the winning goal was scored in the penultimate game of the season.

Block 23 Mental

Spare a thought for my nerves next Sunday when we go into the last game at QPR needing a win to have a chance of reaching the 'promised land'.
I still don't blame you for leaving baby... it's cold living with goats
Ian
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby cymru56 » Tue May 01, 2007 6:05 am

Through clenched teeth and with maniacal smile I wish all the best to Stoke City in their efforts to reach the Premiership.

As long as its not at the expense of the Saints!
But words and music can never touch the beauty that Ive seen
Looking into you -- and thats true
cymru56
Falling Down
Falling Down

Postby Ian » Tue May 01, 2007 12:53 pm

cymru56 wrote:As long as its not at the expense of the Saints!

Have you got some money on the Saints Cymru or are they your 'second' team?

I can't honestly see Southampton slipping up on sunday.. Our best chance would be for Leicester to 'do one' across the Dingles :P
I still don't blame you for leaving baby... it's cold living with goats
Ian
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby cymru56 » Wed May 02, 2007 9:02 am

If home town allegiance didn't take precedence Saints would be my first team. They've been my favourite since the days when big Ron Davies was topping European goal scoring tables back in the late 60's and I was emulating his achievements in the school yard at lunchtime.
But words and music can never touch the beauty that Ive seen
Looking into you -- and thats true
cymru56
Falling Down
Falling Down

Postby Ian » Tue Jul 17, 2007 4:11 pm

Kinda makes me proud to be a Stoke City fan :lol:

The only thing we've won this year
Ian
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby Ian » Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:05 am

Fans of soccer may like to see this sublime goal from Thierry Henry.

You may need to watch the video replays to apreciate just how good it was.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=6Gz9zuqTW ... ed&search=
Ian
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

PreviousNext

Return to The Watercooler