Calling All Sports Fans for the First Down

Off-topic discussions about anything you please!

Moderator: gillian

Postby Ian » Sun Nov 06, 2005 3:35 pm

After a shocking sequence of defeats, my hometown soccer team, Stoke City, finaly start to show their early promise by stringing two wins together this week.

ARRRRIIIIBBBBAAAA Image
I still don't blame you for leaving baby... it's cold living with goats
Ian
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby Ian » Sun Nov 13, 2005 1:43 pm

Congratulations to the USA soccer team in securing a 1-1 draw at Hampden against the mighty Scots this weekend.

The US must have been still smarting after their last visit to Scotland in 1952 when they lost 0-6.
Ian
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby Fool On Fire » Sun Nov 13, 2005 8:28 pm

SQUEALMYPANTHERSAREFIRSTINTHEDIVISION WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAA?!?

Down go the Falcons, up come the Panthers...and wow, we totally thrashed the Jets. 30 to 3 in the Vault in absolutely pristine Carolina fall weather...could there be a more perfect Sunday?

WHOOO DEYYYYY???, 8)
~Elise
I've become the beggar now, and you've become the saint somehow
twist the words and place the blame, and tell me now, aren't we the same?

-- Amy Ray

born under a bad sign, been down since I began to crawl
if it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have no luck at all

-- Albert King

the saints and all the martyrs look down on dying converts
"what makes the water holy," she said, "is that it's the closest thing to rain..."

-- Josh Ritter

...the blues is the roots...everything else is the fruits...
Fool On Fire
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Ian » Fri Nov 25, 2005 7:42 am

RIP George Best

Apologies for posting here with this news but it's just been announced that George Best, probably the worlds best ever soccer player, has died after a long battle with alcoholism and liver failure.

In spite of him playing for the team I most despise, Manchester United, George was a true genius with a soccer ball at his feet, and was a real icon of the sport.

I have many great boyhood memories of George Best and like so many others, tried to emulate some of his trickery with the ball.
George's playboy lifestyle eventualy became bigger than his career and he quit the game at the young age of 27.

Like so many before and after him, George was surrounded by many so called friends who did little but encourage his drinking and 'fast lane' lifestyle.
Most people forgave him though because his cheeky Irish charm and wit never left him and I have heard so many anecdotes of his antics that always will make me smile.

One which never made the press, was told to my friend, a policeman in Cheshire, by his one time team mate and another top star of the time Bobby Charlton.

It uses an expletive referring to the female anatomy which I will refer to as 'C***'.

George was always given some rough treatment on the football field and during one game was man marked by Derby County hardman, Dave McKay.
After 45 minutes of being kicked up hill and down dale, Best protested to the referee about his mistreatment.
The referee, probably an old timer unimpressed with young show offs like Best, told Bestie to 'get on with the game'.

So, quick thinking as ever, Best asked the referee a question.....

"Referee... would you send me from the pitch if I called you a C*** ?"

"Of course I would" said the referee

"Well... what would you do if I just thought it to myself?"

"I wouldn't be able to do anything" said the referee.

"Well I think you're a C***" said Best :lol:

God bless ya George, you WERE the Best
Ian
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby Turk » Fri Nov 25, 2005 8:51 am

Ian wrote:RIP George Best
God bless ya George, you WERE the Best
Turk
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Our Kid » Sat Nov 26, 2005 2:28 pm

Ian,

After 18 months of PMs back and forth regarding the great game and the latest happenings in English Football, I'm sure you would know that I have been following the situation regarding the Great Man's health in the past 2 weeks or so, waiting with you and so many others for the invevitable.

Here is a link to a peek at George Best's skill. I am sure this server will go down soon. Most sites with video of Bestie are dead right now due to the crush of those looking for a glimpse of the man in action. The goal featured here was scored by Best while playing for the San Jose Earthquakes of the North American Soccer League. Keep in mind that this play is made YEARS after his earth shattering years in English football had ended. I suggest right clicking this link and choosing "save target as". If you love athleticism in any form, I assure you this will give you a smile!

http://eteamz.active.com/naslearthquakes/videos/GBest81.mpg

I grew up in a country full of irritating folk who criticised the game of soccer because it was not "theirs". Too slow, too little scoring, boring game,etc. This meant that very little soccer was ever shown on television here. Couple that with my young age during George's glorious years on the pitch, and you can see why I never ever saw him play. When he left Man United in 1972, I was but 5 years old.

For whatever reason, I was always fascinated by the game, mostly the result of Pele's brilliant time as master of the game and his stint with the New York Cosmos. I have loved Soccer my whole life. In my opinion, Soccer is to sport what Jazz is to music. It is an incredibly exciting experience - at its best full of heart stopping improvisation.

I can tell you this Ian, the name George Best is spoken with great reverence, even here in America amongst those who love the game. Many top flight US players speak of him as an inspiration to this day, including many of our best female footballers. Brandi Chastain, the US Women's legend who retired last year and is famous for doffing her jersey after netting the Women's World Cup winning PK in 1999, WORSHIPPED George Best.

I must say, I'd love to be able to sit today and reflect, as others can, with the images of his blistering talent on the pitch scorched into my brain. Without those images to reflect on, I trust the opinion of the many who did. Like you, Ian.

RIP Bestie. You will never be forgotten.

ROUND ARE WAY

The paper boy is working before he goes
Lying to the teacher he knows he knows
He didn't and he should've
Brought his lines in yesterday
Ernie bangs the sound and the day begins
The letterbox is open yer cash falls in
I'll meet you at the office
Just before the staff clock in

Round are way the birds are singing
And round are way the sun shines bright
And round are way the birds sing for yer
Cos they already know yer
Yeah they already know yer

The game is kicking off in around the park
It's twenty five a side and before it's dark
There's gonna be a loser
And you know the next goal wins
Cab it to the front as it's called a draw
Everybody's knockin at yers once more
Ernie bangs the sound
And no-one's spoken since half past four

Round are way the sun shines bright
Round are way the birds sing for yer
Cos they already know yer

Round are way the sun shines bright
Round are way the birds are minging
Round are way it's alright
Round are way the birds sing for yer
Cos the already know yer

-Noel Gallagher-
"You could write a song about some kind of emotional problem you are having, but it would not be a good song, in my eyes, until it went through a period of sensitivity to a moment of clarity. Without that moment of clarity to contribute to the song, it's just complaining."

-Joni Mitchell-
Our Kid
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby Our Kid » Sun Dec 04, 2005 11:12 pm

So...

The University of Michigan Wolverines, the most storied, most glorious, winningest college football team in the United States, have had a poor season - by their standards (MEANING they DID NOT win the Big Ten as they usually do). They still received a Bowl Bid today when the pairings were announced.

We play the Nebraska Cornhuskers in the Alamo Bowl. Nebraska and Michigan shared the National Championship back in 1997.

Hmm... Any Cornhuskers out there?

I SMELL A WAGER, AND IT SMELLS LIKE BOURBON!

GO BLUE!
"You could write a song about some kind of emotional problem you are having, but it would not be a good song, in my eyes, until it went through a period of sensitivity to a moment of clarity. Without that moment of clarity to contribute to the song, it's just complaining."

-Joni Mitchell-
Our Kid
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby Mis » Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:35 am

You don't have to twist my arm to route against the Huskers...growing up in SW Iowa, you were either a Husker fan or an Iowa State fan, and my family was neither! Plus, I'll always route for another Big 10 team, except when they're playing my Hawkeyes. :) So go blue, indeed!

The Hawks are playing Florida in the Outback Bowl...not a stellar year for the Hawkeyes either, but at least they got a bowl bid!
Liars
are lying
Airplanes
are flying
Love isn't here
Love isn't here
But it's somewhere...
Mis
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby scottz » Mon Dec 05, 2005 12:07 pm

GO BIG RED!

Hey, looks like it'll be the battle of San Antone, amigos!
Vive la Football! Andele, Manos arriba you Michigano comancheros!

The match-up of the...???...let's say, day? Maybe! I only hope both teams will show up, for real!

Howzabout even odds, 1.75L -o- BEAM on the barrelhead!

Smack talking may commence....
Waiting for Lightning...
scottz
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby Elizabeth » Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:38 am

I really hate all the assholes on tv and in the NFL who don't know shit.

Give the Seahawks some fucking respect, losers!
Elizabeth
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby Arlene » Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:31 am

Elizabeth wrote:I really hate all the assholes on tv and in the NFL who don't know shit.

OK. I think the Seahawks are the best team in the NFC but you have to admit, they were unbelievably lucky to win that home game against my New York Giants when Jay Feely missed no less than THREE makeable field goals!!!

Don't get me wrong-- at this point, Seattle is, quite simply, a better team than the G-Men, but they were very fortunate to come away with a win when they played the Giants.
"You've got to sing like you don't need the money, love like you'll never get hurt. You've got to dance like no one is watching. It's gotta come from the heart, if you want it to work."
~Susannah Clark

"Ginger Rogers did everything that Fred Astaire did. She just did it backwards and in high heels." ~Molly Ivins

"If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes, only sooner."
~Tallulah Bankhead

Arlene
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Elizabeth » Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:07 am

Arlene wrote:
Elizabeth wrote:I really hate all the assholes on tv and in the NFL who don't know shit.

OK. I think the Seahawks are the best team in the NFC but you have to admit, they were unbelievably lucky to win that home game against my New York Giants when Jay Feely missed no less than THREE makeable field goals!!!

Don't get me wrong-- at this point, Seattle is, quite simply, a better team than the G-Men, but they were very fortunate to come away with a win when they played the Giants.

Arlene, you know I love you.

But the cold hard facts are Feely would have never even gotten the chance to kick one field goal if the officials called the game fair.

I think everybody knows those two touchdowns (especially Shockey's) were bogus. The NFL even admitted they were.

I know everybody says this but the officials have always called against the Hawks.

That game will go down in history as the game that almost gave me a nervous breakdown.
Elizabeth
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby Our Kid » Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:13 pm

Nebraska Considers Alamo Bowl Forfeit

Lincoln, Neb. – In an unprecedented move, the Nebraska Cornhuskers (7-4, 4-4 Big 12) announced today that they are considering a forfeit of their MasterCard Alamo Bowl contest scheduled for December 28th at The Alamodome in San Antonio, Texas. Once one of Collegiate Football’s perennial powerhouses, the Huskers are slated to face The University of Michigan Wolverines (7-4, 5-3 Big Ten) in the contest.

“More and more, every day, this seems like the right move” said Huskers head coach Bill Callahan. “I mean – they are the most successful program in the history of college football. How are we supposed to even compete, let alone win? I think our kids might be better served by another couple days of cursive lessons.”

The two schools shared college football’s National Championship in 1997.

“I’m sure they are still a bit put out by that co-championship in ’97” said Callahan. “Something tells me they might view this as some sort of revenge game. I’m not sure I care to put my boys in front of some Maize and Blue buzz saw. Experiences like that can take away a young man’s will – for good.”

Nebraska players were unavailable for comment, as most of them were busy taking steroids, oops, finals. All indications are that practices will continue while Callahan contemplates his final decision. Junior Quarterback Zak Taylor was seen recently practicing a move referred to as the “duck and cover” by Offensive Coordinator Jay Norvell. According to Norvell, the maneuver will play a big part in the Huskers attack if they elect to go ahead with the game against the Wolverines.

News of the possible pre-game forfeit met with a lukewarm response in Ann Arbor, Michigan, where Head Coach and all-around swell guy Lloyd Carr took time out from reading Nietzsche to address Callahan’s comments.

“Poor sportsmanship, plain and simple” stated Carr when asked about the forfeit plan. “Is he threatening to wear one of Tressel’s vests if they decide to actually play?”

Carr has beaten Ohio State coach Jim Tressel just once in the five years since Tressel took over as Buckeyes head coach.

An announcement as to Nebraska’s final decision is expected by Christmas Eve.

-Joni Mitchell-
Our Kid
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby Mis » Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:41 pm

Bwahahahahah...I love it, Tim. Goddamn I hate the Huskers. LOL ;D
Liars
are lying
Airplanes
are flying
Love isn't here
Love isn't here
But it's somewhere...
Mis
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby scottz » Tue Dec 20, 2005 12:21 pm

I looked for that story everywhere! :lol: I said "smack talking" not "crack smoking", Tim! :lol: I'll have something for "YOU" after while!

But, shock!? What is just pretty darned unbig10firckingbelievable, is an IOWA HAWKEYES FAN and ALUMNUS actually routing for the WOLVERINES/most hated enemies, in ANY football game!!!?!?>!?!1!/?
I can fully understand your disdain for the HUSKERS, being an IOWA fan Mis, but REALLY!?? Showin' love to the Michigan Wolverines???
Okee-dokee...?...I guess so.

It really starts to ring true, guys...The BIG 10 is becoming a kinder, gentler conference. Feel the love!

Guess I'll see who's ignore list get's expanded, or at least brought in for serious consideration, heh!

HUSKERS
Waiting for Lightning...
scottz
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

PreviousNext

Return to The Watercooler