Calling All Sports Fans for the First Down

Off-topic discussions about anything you please!

Moderator: gillian

Postby Mis » Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:28 pm

Hahaha! Now don't take it so personally, Scott. You have to understand my upbringing a bit. I grew up in SW Iowa, as you know, and when you grow up there, you are usually one of two things: An Iowa State Cyclones fan, or a Nebraska Cornhuskers fan.

Now, I can understand the Cyclones thing. Most kids from my hometown who wanted to go to state school went there. But Nebraska? It's not even in the same state! I was absolutely TORMENTED by psycho Husker fans growing up for being from a family that was 100% Hawkeye (literally everyone on my mom's side of the family went to U of Iowa, except for my sister...the other side all went to...gasp...Oklahoma! :D). This was also the 1980s, when the Huskers were at their cocky dominating finest. So I was permanently traumatized.

I will always route for another school in my own conference if they're playing a team from another. Big 10 pride, baby! With one exception: Penn State has no business being in the Big 10. I was so irate when they let them in. I hate Penn State just as much as I hate Nebraska, so see? It's ok. :)
Liars
are lying
Airplanes
are flying
Love isn't here
Love isn't here
But it's somewhere...
Mis
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby karla » Tue Dec 20, 2005 4:24 pm

Does this mean you'll root for Oklahoma against the Oregon Ducks in the Holiday Bowl? Better not!! The Ducks shcould be in a BCS bowl, but politics favor Notre Dame and Ohio State, even though they both have more losses than Oregon. Oregon lost only one game: USC, which was behind at half-time. So really we lost only half a game. The disrespect!!

But I guess I understand rooting for your conference against all others. I am fully behind USC against Texas. Go Pac-10!!
It's hard to give, it's hard to get, ...
but everybody needs a little forgiveness.
karla
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby Our Kid » Tue Dec 20, 2005 5:21 pm

WHEW! Its heating up on the Sports Thread! I'm all for it.

scottz wrote:Smack talking may commence....

Its all in good fun, Zimmo. Don't worry, cause you are the Original Big Brother and I love you. However, you bastards "shared" that National Championship with us in 1997 after going undefeated against:

1) University of Akron
1) Washington
3) Oklahoma
4) The Greater Omaha Better Business Bureau
5) Kansas State
6) North Platte Daughters of the American Revolution
7) The Grand Island Leader Dogs For The Blind
8) The Hastings YWCA All-Stars
9) Iowa State
10) Colorado
11) Tennessee

Michigan, on the other hand, beat these teams in 1997:

1) Colorado (27-3)
2) Baylor (38-3)
3) Notre Dame (21-13)
4) Indiana (37-0)
5) Northwestern (23-6)
6) Iowa (28-24)
7) Michigan State (23-7)
8) Minnesota (24-3)
9) Penn State (34-8) PSU was ranked #1 in the country at the time
10) Wisconsin (26-16)
11) Ohio State (20-14)
12) Washington State (21-16) in the Rose Bowl

As far as a "kinder, gentler Big 10 goes, let me just make one thing clear:

The University of Michigan's greatest footbal rivals, in order of importance, are:

1) Ohio State University
2) The University of Notre Dame
3) EVERYONE ELSE

No offense to my buddy Melissa or her Hawkeyes, but they just don't count (although i will never forget the 12-10 loss in 1985 when Iowa was #1 and we were #2) .

Yes Karla, I think Oregon got JOBBED. They should have gotten a BCS Bowl bid for sure.
"You could write a song about some kind of emotional problem you are having, but it would not be a good song, in my eyes, until it went through a period of sensitivity to a moment of clarity. Without that moment of clarity to contribute to the song, it's just complaining."

-Joni Mitchell-
Our Kid
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby Our Kid » Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:31 pm

Oh, and while I am on this thread...

ELIZABETH, I am with you after this past weekend about the Seahawks. They are getting no credit for what they are accomplishing. Just hang in there and make some noise in the playoffs, and you can tell everyone to kiss your ass when you do.

At any rate, I think the Seahawks look damn good at this point, so just sit tight and stick with your team. ALways remember - you could be a DETROIT LIONS FAN.

UGH!

SEE WHAT I MEAN???
"You could write a song about some kind of emotional problem you are having, but it would not be a good song, in my eyes, until it went through a period of sensitivity to a moment of clarity. Without that moment of clarity to contribute to the song, it's just complaining."

-Joni Mitchell-
Our Kid
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby scottz » Tue Dec 20, 2005 7:27 pm

:lol:
Just clearing up a few things from way back when, lil' brother, hee. And hey, I was head cheerleader for the Hastings YWCA all stars. If they hadn't dropped me, in that triple pyramid/swan dive/ basket catch thingy with a full twisting back somersault, our team would've held the high spirit to win!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1997 Schedule: Game Date Opponent Score Record Big 12 AP USA Status
Pre-Season 6 6
1 08/30/97 Akron W 59-14 1-0 0-0 6 6
09/06/97 Idle 6 5
2 09/13/97 Central Florida W 38-24 2-0 0-0 7 6
3 09/20/97 at #2 Washington W 27-14 3-0 0-0 3 3
09/27/97 Idle 3 3
4 10/04/97 #16 Kansas State W 56-26 4-0 1-0 3 3
5 10/11/97 at Baylor W 49-21 5-0 2-0 2 2
6 10/18/97 Texas Tech W 29-0 6-0 3-0 1 1
7 10/25/97 at Kansas W 35-0 7-0 4-0 1 1
8 11/01/97 Oklahoma W 69-7 8-0 5-0 1 1
9 11/08/97 at Missouri W 45-38 9-0 6-0 3 3
10 11/15/97 Iowa State W 77-14 10-0 7-0 3 3
11/22/97 Idle 2 2
11 11/28/97 at Colorado W 27-24 11-0 8-0 2 2
Big 12 12/06/97 vs Texas A&M W 54-15 12-0 8-0 2 2
Orange Bowl 01/02/98 Tennessee W 42-17 13-0 8-0 2 1

look at these scores, will ya?

HUSKERS

Is this gonna be a crazy week, or what?
Waiting for Lightning...
scottz
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby scottz » Thu Dec 22, 2005 7:22 pm

Henne, you're gonna have a terrific view of the grass, looking out your earhole, son!
Waiting for Lightning...
scottz
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby Our Kid » Wed Dec 28, 2005 4:34 pm

Zim,

May the best team win, Big Brother!

And may that team wear Maize 'n Blue!

Let There Be Love,

Tim

GO BLUE

-Joni Mitchell-
Our Kid
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby ScottG » Wed Dec 28, 2005 11:54 pm

That Michigan-Nebraska game was insane.
Why didn't that last guy lateral the ball for fuck's sake?!*&@#^!@
Anyway, I'm glad to see some fine Kentucky product was on the line.
"Indifferent, but distanced perfectly
Projected endlessly, it’s so FUCKING beautiful!!!"
ScottG
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby Our Kid » Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:36 am

Well well well...

Zimmo, it was a GREAT game. I commend the Nebraska Cornhuskers on a great Alamo Bowl victory. I hope you guys stick by Callahan and give him some time to build your program back up, because I think he is doing a superb job.

We had our chance. We got the ball with the score at 28-17 with a chance to put our Maize 'n Blue foot on your neck and couldn't get the job done.

Your quarterback, Zak Taylor, was AMAZING. That kid hung in there and took some BIG hits but never lost his composure. How can you not respect a kid like that?

I had heard so much about the changes at Nebraska, but those Husker O and D lines still look like they are packed with big, corn-fed hogs who can get the job done. Your defensive front seven, specifically, was excellent.

The only problem was the officiating. Don't get me wrong, I am not going to whine and say we lost because of the officials, but the crew was just plain awful throughout the game. If my punt returner, Steve Breaston, DOES NOT call a fair catch (he didn't) and some Nebraska special teams player takes his head off (one did), then my punt returner deserves his headache and THERE SHOULD BE NO FLAG. There is NO HALO RULE in College Football. I could list other procedural and specific play problems, but I used one that went against you to show that I am aware that the officials sucked ALL AROUND.

Anyway, I again commend the Nebraska Cornhuskers on a well deserved victory.

Let There Be Love,

Tim The Defeated

GO BIG RED

ps. CONGRATS ON THE BOTTLE OF BEAM!!!!!

-Joni Mitchell-
Our Kid
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby Our Kid » Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:38 am

ScottG wrote:That Michigan-Nebraska game was insane.
Why didn't that last guy lateral the ball for fuck's sake?!*&@#^!@
Anyway, I'm glad to see some fine Kentucky product was on the line.

I love reading this and FINALLY being able to "hear" TTMFG saying it. Know what I mean there, G?

Zimmo called too, just before the game began, to slide in some last minute smack. He's got a funny accent as well...

-Joni Mitchell-
Our Kid
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby scottz » Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:20 am

I'm wiped out Tim. I will come back tomorrow.
Your guys played fricken great football and were robbed many times by the ^&*%%&STRIPES. :cry: As far as both of our teams go...This was a great battle, as fans we got our socks rocked!
Much Love, Little Brother!
Have your phone w/you New Years Eve, please!
Waiting for Lightning...
scottz
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby scottz » Sat Dec 31, 2005 7:02 pm

:idea: Hey Tim, I know it's a few days after "our game", but I didn't leave much of a comment so...

There are some things about our love for college football, this game, our friendship and fun times we'll have for years to come, that I want to say.
First, it's sad that such a great game was over-shadowed with the officiating! What in the world would cause the NCAA to allow the substandard, bush league guys from the sunbelt (in this case), to work bowl games? Yeah, this may be considered a rinky dink bowl...I guess if it's not in January, who cares, right? Well, we both had 7-4 seasons, but HELLO, does any footballish person believe that Michigan (winningest team in history) or Nebraska (4th on that list) are rinky-dink?
They'd be foolish, right Tim? I don't think it'll be very long till you'll see both of these teams back in the top 10, all year long, on a consistant basis.
OK so I'll end the whining by saying this, (and pro football fans should agree) "If college football is going to have "the review"- they need to use the red flag system, as in pro ball!" This deal where you have to burn time-outs on obviously reviewable plays, is bullshit! Y'all know how horrible it is to watch the momentum or outcome of games affected by downright bad, or missed calls, and loss of timeouts.
What was gooood about this game? The players "came with it" big time! It had all of the earmarks of the classic big game we wanted to see! YAY!!! I have to give huge props to the defensive staffs of both teams. Wow did Michigan know how to blitz or what? They picked up quickly, that Nebraska's Zak Taylor could pick them apart with soft coverage on short passes, if they didn't bring huge pressure. Well Zak went on his ass a bunch, after that. The running game got us back into it, with the tiny but tough, Cory Ross. It seemed UM's rushing defense was their achilles heel, later in this game.
I really hope to see another Michigan/Nebraska match-up in the near future...BCS! It is a must see, footballers!

Tim, it is great fun passing the virtual frito's back and forth w/you...I'd love to someday travel to a game where we could elbow each other in the ribs, as the Red & Blue fight for yards!
Waiting for Lightning...
scottz
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby scottz » Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:37 pm

TEXAS LONGHORNS, BABY! CHAMPIONS!
Waiting for Lightning...
scottz
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby girlgoddess » Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:59 pm

WORD.
austin is loud right now.
if you have poo, fling it now.
girlgoddess
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby Our Kid » Thu Jan 05, 2006 2:04 am

WOW!

What a superb football game! I had a blast watching the whole thing, and I must say that I was happy to see the 'Horns come out on top. I have a few really good buddies who are Texas grads, and I already heard from one of them.

Vince Young was THE MAN!

The eyes of Texas are upon you...

Tim

Ps. Anyone see Matt Leinart's comments on ABC after the game? I was really disappointed. What a lack of class. Pete Carroll was an absolute gentleman, though, so that made up for it.

-Joni Mitchell-
Our Kid
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

PreviousNext

Return to The Watercooler