Calling All Sports Fans for the First Down

Off-topic discussions about anything you please!

Moderator: gillian

Postby Elizabeth » Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:24 am

Today was the day we have been waiting for here. Some recognition. It is a very proud time for us.

Shawn "the Great" Alexander is the MVP of the NFL.

That would make him our very first recipient of the MVP award. And in true Shawn style he said he owed most of it to his team.

Happy, happy day! Congrats Shawn, nobody deserves it more.
Elizabeth
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby Our Kid » Fri Jan 06, 2006 5:17 pm

Elizabeth wrote:Today was the day we have been waiting for here. Some recognition. It is a very proud time for us.

Shawn "the Great" Alexander is the MVP of the NFL.

That would make him our very first recipient of the MVP award. And in true Shawn style he said he owed most of it to his team.

Happy, happy day! Congrats Shawn, nobody deserves it more.

I continue to think that the Seahawks will make some noise in the coming postseason. I'd love to see it too. Yet another example of a team rising to the top whilst the Lions continue to drown in mediocrity.

I'm right there with you, Elizabeth, cheering all the way. I gotta pick someone to root for and this year it will certainly be your boys.

I'm sure that Lisey will be sneaking a peak at the outcome of the Panthers/Giants game this coming Sunday. Who are the rest of you rooting for, if you are indeed following the festivities?
"You could write a song about some kind of emotional problem you are having, but it would not be a good song, in my eyes, until it went through a period of sensitivity to a moment of clarity. Without that moment of clarity to contribute to the song, it's just complaining."

-Joni Mitchell-
Our Kid
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby TontoBronto » Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:33 pm

Set your VCR's/Tivos for the Ohio State/ Texas rematch 9/9/06 in Austin, TX.
http://ohiostatebuckeyes.collegesports. ... edule.html

So is the date for PattyFest '06 set in stone??
:wink:
TontoBronto
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Elizabeth » Sat Jan 07, 2006 2:35 am

Thanks Tim!!!

I was just discussing this with everybody during last weeks game. If somebody's own team didn't make it this year the Hawks are the prefect team to root for.

Firstly, they are the underdog. I say that not because of stats but because that seems to be the the consensus around the NFL. Secondly, I might be bias, but we have great fans. We are not mean fans. When Indy came here (a very hyped up game) many of our fans had sincere, thoughtful signs to Dungy about how sorry we were for him and his team. We love our team so much, it hurts us. And lastly, the boys. They are a great group. Humble, respectable, appreciative. They may not be perfect but they have as much heart as any team out there.

Everyone wants them to take it all the way but at this point it doesn't matter so much. We have had a wonderful season. It has been so fun to watch. I am proud, all of us are proud of them.
Elizabeth
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby Fool On Fire » Sat Jan 07, 2006 8:13 pm

Oh thank god, the Bucs are out of the playoffs. PHEW. Of course that was a win-by-the-skin-of-the-redskins-teeth...what was their passing yardage? Like, 25? Schneikies. That was the worst offense I've ever seen win an NFL playoff game.

Pleeeeeeeeease let the Jags beat the Pats. PLEASE. Not that I'm a huge fan of the Jags but at least New England would be out. Come on, J'ville. You can DO it. Just remember not to give them any respect. (Speaking of which, cry me a friggin river, Tom Brady. Blegh.)

ILOVEPLAYOFFFOOTBALLOHYESIDOOOOOOO.

back to the game,
~E
I've become the beggar now, and you've become the saint somehow
twist the words and place the blame, and tell me now, aren't we the same?

-- Amy Ray

born under a bad sign, been down since I began to crawl
if it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have no luck at all

-- Albert King

the saints and all the martyrs look down on dying converts
"what makes the water holy," she said, "is that it's the closest thing to rain..."

-- Josh Ritter

...the blues is the roots...everything else is the fruits...
Fool On Fire
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Fool On Fire » Sun Jan 15, 2006 3:21 pm

Holy CRAP, the Steelers were about to beat the Colts and then fumbled on a 2-yard rush to the goal line and now the Colts are back in field goal range. Jeeeeeeeeeesus.

Next up are my Panthers! Weeeeee! Go Cats! Kick some Bear ass!

Elizabeth, if the Panthers win today and meet your Hawks, you have to promise not to hold it against me. ;) *giggle*

playoff-football-love-to-all,
~Lisey (currently wearing her Steve Smith #89 jersey and clutching her Growl Towel tightly in her left hand)

-- Amy Ray

-- Albert King

"what makes the water holy," she said, "is that it's the closest thing to rain..."

-- Josh Ritter

Fool On Fire
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Fool On Fire » Sun Jan 15, 2006 7:56 pm

NFC CHAMPIONSHIP GAAAAAAAAAME HERE WE COOOOOOOOOOOME!!!!

Wow, I aged ten years watching that game, but holy crap - it was worth it. What an amazing game. It was exciting and it was physical and emotional and intense. We didn't dominate, but someone finally found the fire in our offensive line - our OL and QB made the #2 defense in the NFL look nothing more than average. YEEEEEE!!!

Hey Elizabeth - I'll see YOU next week. :twisted:

Ew, I stink, I was sweating like a stuck pig the entire game.

Time for a Victory Shower,
~Lisey

-- Amy Ray

-- Albert King

-- Josh Ritter

Fool On Fire
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Elizabeth » Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:48 am

Wow, talk about an upset with the Colts. I was feeling really bad for them until Manning acted like a total jerk. Now...not so much. He needs to get over himself. Hey Manning, the best defense is a good offense, so look in the mirror!

And the Patriots game was a shocker. But I don't feel bad for them. I'm quite happy they are out :D

And yes, it appears we will meet, Elise. You can believe all of the great Northwest was watching today. After seeing how unbelievably horrible the Bears QB was, I gotta say, I was hoping they'd win.

As for next week, I'm pretty confident (as I'm sure you are Elise) but my only worries are you guys play rougher. I am just hoping for a clean game. And ofcourse that Shaun is healthy enough to play. It is scary to know that Shaun is a walking target all the time, but now with his injury I hope he isn't targeted more.

It was pretty horrific for Shaun to go out the way he did. This is a guy who plays his heart out every game and after winning everyone's attention with the MVP, in the playoffs, he comes out and FUMBLES the ball (I can't even remember the last time Shaun lost a ball) in our territory, then gets injured with a concussion shortly after that and is benched.

But as much as we love Shaun, we aren't a one man show. It has been a loooong time but we did it. And a 50/50 shot of going to the Superbowl ain't looking so bad!
Elizabeth
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby Fool On Fire » Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:50 pm

I'm absolutely gleeful that the Pats went down to Denver. That is poetic justice. Bye-bye dynasty. It's quiet in Boston's sports bars this week. Moowahahahaaaa.

I'm not a Manning fan, whether the Manning in question is Peyton or Eli. They're both overrated. All that perfect season crap, they were supposedly the team no one wanted to play, well, big fat "whatever" to that. Not that I'm super-sold on the Steelers (although when pitted against the Colts, it's an easy pick for me to root for Pittsburgh) - the Steelers are thuggish. Did you see their players celebrating when they injured Carson Palmer in the Bengals game? Jeez. Real classy, guys. :? My hopes are with Denver for the AFC.

But the NFC championship is gonna be the game to watch. Screw the Super Bowl. Next week is gonna be the best damn game of the season. The NFC has come down to a showdown between two super-talented teams who play with incredible heart, AND are absolute class acts. The Seahawks have Shaun Alexander. Carolina has Steve Smith (who in case you haven't been watching, is the Golden Child. He reminds me of watching Jerry Rice when I was little. Gaaahhhhh he is so beautiful to watch!). They both play great defense, and late in the season have had their offensive players come into their own. They've both been underdogs, although my team is the underdog this time around (and I like that - we do well in that situation, on the road, with something to prove). They're both groups of guys who never want to take all the credit for any single player - they just go out there, work together, and get the job done. They never talk shit. They just bring home the bacon.

But my Panthers are better than your Seahawks. I've been fair up until now, but let's just establish this - I'm immensely partisan. I don't care how good you are. We're better, and we're lucky too. :P My boyz are seasoned, hardened road warriors and this is the playoffs. Nothin' to lose. Everything to win.

(I can't BELIEVE you were rooting for the Bears. What happened to your love for the underdog?? LOL.)

til Sunday, :P
~E

-- Amy Ray

-- Albert King

-- Josh Ritter

Fool On Fire
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Elizabeth » Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:55 pm

I will give you one thing, luck. That you may have. Sadly, we don't.

But you will need every ounce of that luck coming into Qwest Feild.

If our guys are on and I do mean ON, my opinon is, the Panthers will lose. If we play good, the Panthers WILL lose.

Nobody is more partisan than a Seahawks fan. And we are due.
Elizabeth
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby Mermaid » Sun Jan 22, 2006 11:16 am

Go STEELERS!!!!
that summer fields grow high
we made garland crowns in hiding
pulled stems of flowers from my hair
blue in the stream like none I have seen
apart from dreams that escape me
Mermaid
A Place to Stand
A Place to Stand

Postby karla » Sun Jan 22, 2006 10:28 pm

The Seahawks looked amazing today!!

Sorry, Elise ... but Steve who?? :P :wink:

Seattle's in the SuperBowl - finally!
It's hard to give, it's hard to get, ...
but everybody needs a little forgiveness.
karla
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby Our Kid » Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:17 am

Let’s cover the most important sports news first…

Manchester City lost to Bolton Saturday, 2-0, failing to build momentum from last week’s huge derby win against Manchester United at Eastlands. Admittedly, Bolton are tough to beat at home this year, where they have only lost once and allowed a scant four goals. Stoke City, meanwhile, took a right thrashing from Hull, 3-0. Local Stoke expert Ian was unavailable for comment.

Anyway, about those NFL Conference Championship games…

I wasn’t surprised to see Pittsburgh beat Denver, but I was surprised at the complete dismantling that took place. Jake Plummer looked horrible, but much credit goes to the Steeler defense for keeping him on the run all day. Part of me has been pulling for the Steelers to win it all since the playoffs started, truth be told. They were one of my first favorite sports teams in the late 70s when Chuck Knoll and the Steel Curtain were rolling over everyone. Also, Jerome Bettis is a Detroit boy and I can’t wait to see him in the Super Bowl at Ford Field. I have a feeling he is going to be fired up and harder to handle than usual. Know that this town loves him and will be pulling for him to get that ring. He has always defended this town in the National press and that means a great deal to us here in Motown. Linebacker Larry Foote is also a Detroit product and a former Michigan Wolverine.

I was really happy to see Seattle win, since they were my NFC pick throughout these playoffs with my beloved Lions on the trash heap (as usual). The Seahawks looked amazing, but I think it needs to be remembered that Carolina played today without starting running back DeShaun Foster and this forced the Panthers to lean harder than usual on the passing game. Still, the Seahawks defensive line pressured Delhomme all game long and kept him off balance. I just have to say (sorry Lisey) that Steve Smith acted like a punk tonight. Long before the game was out of hand, he was freaking out on the sideline and whining like an ass about his problems with coverage. That is the danger when your offense in such a huge game is (unfortunately due to injury) a One Trick Pony. It is also one of the dangers when a skill position-player such as Smith suddenly gets tons of press and begins soaking up the hype. No other Carolina receiver stepped up, which didn’t help. Regardless, huge props to Seattle, who had the life choked out of Carolina by the middle of the third quarter. Shaun Alexander looked awesome carrying the rock. Delhomme answered the bell big time. They were the underdogs but I’d say its time people give The Seahawks some serious credit for what they have accomplished.

This could end up being a wonderful Super Bowl. We are left with two fantastic teams that can really get after it. They both got to this point by playing great defense and really pressuring opposing quarterbacks, so there will be two great defenses on the field. On the other hand, both teams have great quarterbacks, superb running games (with the edge probably going to the Seahawks and Alexander) and solid receivers so there will be two great offenses as well. All in all, I am very excited about the game to come and I hope it lives up to expectations. Early comments from “the experts” are that this game will surely be a barn burner.

Despite Seattle’s superb effort today and throughout these playoffs, I just don’t think they can pull this one off. After what I saw today, I don’t think anyone is going to beat the Steelers. They are just too gritty and their defense uses so many different cover schemes that an opposing offense has a tough time finding a mismatch to exploit. They also had a harder road on the way to Ford Field in these playoffs than Seattle did. The biggest key to the game, to me, is Shaun Alexander. He’s gonna have to run wild to keep Carolina in the game because the Steelers secondary is so tough and Seattle likely won’t have as much success passing as they did against the Panthers. If the Steelers put the breaks on the NFL MVP, they will win for sure.

Man, I love football…
"You could write a song about some kind of emotional problem you are having, but it would not be a good song, in my eyes, until it went through a period of sensitivity to a moment of clarity. Without that moment of clarity to contribute to the song, it's just complaining."

-Joni Mitchell-
Our Kid
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby Ian » Mon Jan 23, 2006 2:06 am

Our Kid wrote: Stoke City, meanwhile, took a right thrashing from Hull, 3-0. Local Stoke expert Ian was unavailable for comment.

:cry: words fail me :cry:
I still don't blame you for leaving baby... it's cold living with goats
Ian
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby Elizabeth » Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:38 am

As the local news keeps saying...

No, you are not dreaming. Your Seahwaks are in the Super Bowl.

It still feels like a dream to us, you will be hard pressed to find a Seahawks fan that doesn't say, "Uh, it hasn't sunk in yet."

I am so proud of the boys, so damn proud.

As usual, there was some shitty calls yesterday against us. It didn't matter but it could have and we can expect the same in the Super Bowl.

The Steelers are already the favorite to win, big shock!

We have our work cut out for us, no question. I will say it plain, their defense is better. They are certainly tougher. But everyone thought we would choke against Carolina's D. We stepped our game up yesterday and we just need to do it again.

I wanted Denver to win the AFC. They really got stomped though. I hope our game doesn't look like that...

I am still burnt out from all of the emotions from yesterday. God, did that really happen??
Elizabeth
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

PreviousNext

Return to The Watercooler