Introduce yourself!

Off-topic discussions about anything you please!

Moderator: gillian

Introduce yourself!

Postby gillian » Fri Apr 15, 2005 11:28 pm

New members, existing members, returning members... introduce yourself to one another here!

I am Gillian, the owner and administrator of PattyNet. I've been listening to Patty since 1996, and have been sharing the love with all you wonderful Patty people since 2003. I'm twenty-something, live in Minnesota, and work for an international IT company as a web applications developer. I have two wonderful little dogs, and my obsessions include PattyNet, singing, and bowling.

Welcome to all PattyNet members!
Last edited by gillian on Sat Apr 16, 2005 1:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
gillian
Founder
Founder

Postby 62rvs » Sat Apr 16, 2005 12:05 am

Hi, I'm Smit....

and I'm a pattyholic.

I've been around for quite a while and I want to say a big hello to everyone here whom I already know....
And a big welcome to all of the new members.

Oh, and once again, MAJOR KUDOS to Gillian for creating this little slice of heaven.

And I LOVE the new look!!!!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

-SMit
"duck...duck...duck...duck...duck...duck...GOOSE!"
62rvs
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby Browncoat » Sat Apr 16, 2005 12:40 am

Hi! My name is Adam (aka Browncoat). I've been called a Buffyholic, many, many times in my life. I'm also a huge fan of Patty, Lori McKenna, Peter Mulvey, Jeffrey Foucault, and many other musicians.

I'm going to say what year I was born, so I don't have to edit this thread every year...

I was born in 1989, and I am one of the few Canadians you will find on the forum (HOLLA!), and I live in Saint John, New Brunswick.

I hope everyone has a wonderful time on the site, I know I do!

-Adam
Last edited by Browncoat on Fri Aug 19, 2005 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Subtly eccentric...
Browncoat
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby deaeterna » Sat Apr 16, 2005 12:47 am

'Ello, my name is Tracy, and I'm a Pattyphile. It's been only three short years since I discovered our darling Patty, but I'm still as madly in love as the day I laid ears on her. On a personal front, I'm a photog and editor of The Aurora Review. I also write poetry, creative non-fiction, and journalistic pieces. Of course, this means that I'm broke all the time and live with my mother. Other favorite bands/artists include: The Band, Neil Young, Neko Case, Sam Phillips, Calexico, Jack Ingram, and many more....

Tracy
deaeterna
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby ladyday » Sat Apr 16, 2005 1:45 am

hey my name is ladyday, i was introduced to the forum by marybeth THANk YOU! ive been a huge patty fan for about a year now, not long I know but her music has certainly had a huge impact on my life in that short amount of time!
now to me, im 17 and live in birmingham england but im not really english, my mum is american and my dad half greek...so im a bit of everythin really. Im at college at the moment studying music(i play the guitar, saxophone and i sing, also love writing my own stuff), media studies, english lit and drama all of which are great!!
my fav type of music would have to be jazz, i love the fact that you will neva hear a piece done the same, so people like billie holiday (hence my name ladyday), ella fitzgerald, miles davis, lester young, louis armstrong..well the list goes on, i also love motown, soul, bit of folk, reggae, blues and country.

okk talkin bout me is borin lol so im gonna leave it at that if you wanna know anythin else just ask!
i got strength, courage and wisdom its been inside of me all along
ladyday
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Disco Fred's my name, getting my groove on is my game !!!

Postby disco_fred » Sat Apr 16, 2005 2:06 am

Hello. My name is Fred, and I am a Patty-holic.

"Hi, Fred!"

The things that I love most in this life are Madonna, music, movies, television, dancing, my friends, and my family.

I go to school to be an elementary school teacher and a camp director (for my summers off, of course).

I like to believe I am not afraid to color outside the lines and that I not only march to the beat of my own drummer, but I have my own percussion section.

In my spare time, I organize local games of three-legged potato sack races, build igloos in my living room, have Easter egg hunts even when it's not Easter, and pretend that I invented Post-It's :wink: .

If I could have my life made into a romantic comedy-drama film, I would have Meg Ryan play me, and my prospective boyfriends would be Mark Ruffalo, Ryan Reynolds, Jude Law, and Josh Lucas (and I'd make out with all of them).

Peace, love, and hair grease,

Disco Fred
"Sometimes I think the world has gone completely mad. And then I think -- ah, who cares? And then I think -- hey, what's for supper?" -- Jack Handey.
disco_fred
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby marybeth » Sat Apr 16, 2005 12:54 pm

Hi I'm Marybeth! I'm a Patty.net-aholic. I'm American and I live in Germany with my husband and two two teenage daughters. I'm a freelance journalist so I hang out online a LOT. We like the outdoors, skiing and hiking, and I love music---singing, playing and writing. The song-writing is a new hobby for me and it's getting to be kind of an obsession. Another new "hobby" of mine is chatting with my Pattyfriends online. It's great to have this community of like-minded souls to commune with on a daily basis, particularly when you work from home like I do and don't have any office mates....

I welcome all new members to the board and hope you enjoy it here and stay a while!
http://www.marybethdamico.com

Some people don't care if they live or they die
Some people want to know what it feels like to fly

Americana: "a nebulous category of misfits and acquired tastes, many of whom seem to have worn cowboy hats at one time or another" LA Times article
marybeth
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Kris » Sat Apr 16, 2005 12:55 pm

I'm Kris, aka waffles. I've only recently discovered a love for waffles, though, I used to hate them. Waffle House rocks though.

Anyway, I've been a Pattyholic for awhile. She's been one of my biggest musical influences, along with Joni Mitchell, Shawn Colvin and some others that I'm drawing a blank on.

I love my kitty children, Linus, Ravi and Bindhi. They are spoiled rotten, just the way they should be.

I'm also a musician and am working on recording right now. I'm taking a little break from gigging right now because I changed jobs and it's sucking the life out of me.

I feel like I'm filing out a profile for a dating service or something!

I love to read and play guitar, sing, write, make art. I'm very involved in my family and cats of the world.

And I love my Pattyfamily! This board has shown me some of the most compassionate, intelligant and genuine people in the world.
It's the same old thirst for more
Until they put you in the dirt

You saw me through a keyhole
Of a door that I kept locked
But I decorate the threshold
Just in case you knocked
Kris
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Nicoleee » Sat Apr 16, 2005 1:04 pm

PattyNet rocks!

I'm Nicole.

I've been a Patty fan since I heard the Living With Ghosts album in 98 through a co-worker. The first thing out of mouth was, "Wow, who is this?" I'll never forget that day-- Patty's music has got me through the first half of my twenties and then some, I'm 27 now.

I live in the Boston vacinity, I move alot! (in and around town) I've moved to Boston from my hometown of Tucson Arizona in 1996-97. I work in "high-end" retail, and I have recently returned to college for my BA. I write poetry mostly, and I am interested in involving myself in almost anything having to do with the creative arts.

My dream would be to become a tour manager or personal assistant to one of the many artists I love-- though, who knows how long I'd put up with some of them. Maybe I'm better off being on the fan end! :wink:
Publishing some poems and essays would be pretty fab too.

I haven't been on PattyNet long, but I love it, and I'm staying! :lol:

(Thanks Melissa for telling me about this "paradise" on LiveJournal)

Welcome everyone!
Last edited by Nicoleee on Sat Apr 16, 2005 1:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I said to the sky
Do you want me to fly
The sky said, No
Ain't your turn to go

http://amillionkites.blogspot.com/
Nicoleee
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby B Minus Time Traveler » Sat Apr 16, 2005 1:10 pm

I'll pull up a chair here.

Hey, it's me, B Minus Time Traveler (Kevin if you want to get all personal). I've been a huge fan of Patty since I heard her on a free Lilith Fair CD, provided by the good folks at Biore, in 1998 (I was too young and stupid to actually see her live). I'm twenty-something as well, and I work at a company that provides phone conferencing to large companies (I really hate it, and my last day is tentatively scheduled for June 3rd). I graduated with a B.A. in Theatre from a Baptist-affiliate liberal-arts college in KS. But I'm in the process of beginning my Master's work in creative writing. I live in Lawrence, KS - like I always say, "If you have to live in KS, at least you live in Lawrence." My county was the ONLY county in KS to vote against the discriminatory anti-gay marriage/civil union bill a few weeks ago. I don't plan on living in KS much longer. . . .

Music I love:
Patty Griffin (she's the tops, the cat's pajamas, the dog's tuxedo - #1 and always will be), Rufus Wainwright, Joni Mitchell, Ray Lamontagne, Shawn Colvin, and miscellaneous other folksy, alt-folksy people.

TV I love:
Grey's Anatomy, Felicity (I know, I know), Mystery Science Theater 3000 (I have over 80 episodes on DVD), Strangers With Candy, Futurama, The Simpsons, The BBC Pride & Prejudice mini-series with yummy Colin Firth, WIll & Grace, Sex and the City -- I don't have cable, so I have waaaayyy too many DVDs.

Books I've enjoyed:
The Bell Jar (my favorite book), the Harry Potter series, The Safety of Objects, Music for Torching, You Are Not a Stranger Here, Now It's Time to Say Goodbye, Breakfast for Scot

Movies:
I don't play favorites with movies (sorry!).

Celebrities I've met:
Patty Griffin! - in the alley behind Liberty Hall in Lawrence, KS. She said she liked my shirt.
Kirstie Alley - I saw her in my hometown antiques store in Meade, KS (she has relatives there).
Lindsey from the New Mickey Mouse Club (w/Britney, Christina, Justin, etc) - she went to college at a school in MO, I saw her at a college theater festival (KC/ACTF).

A few plays I was in in college:
Wait Until Dark (Mike Talman)
Little Shop of Horrors (Seymour Krelborn)
The Tempest (Stephano)
Burn This (Pale)
The Seagull (Trigorin)
The Heidi Chronicles (Peter Patrone)
. . .ah, good times.

Well, that's about it. If you want to know more about my fabulous life, just ask.
"You know, I cried when I had no shoes, until I met a man who had no feet. And then I laughed...really hard." - Jerri Blank
B Minus Time Traveler
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby Fool On Fire » Sat Apr 16, 2005 1:43 pm

Aaaaargh...okay, here goes nuthin'...

Hi, my name is Elise, and I'm a raging, no-holds-barred Griffinite.

Ok, we'll start with the basics. I'm 22, live in Charlotte NC, go to school at Brown University in Providence RI, and I've loved Patty since I was 16. I can't imagine my life without her music anymore. I love kids, and I work with them every chance I get; I'm currently in training to be a pediatrician (as in, working towards med school; in fact, I take my MCAT next week, and I am going to die).

...and this is officially beginning to sound like a cross between a college application and a personals ad. Mkay. The fun stuff - music! I am a total chick folkie with a passion for rock; my three biggest musical obsessions are the Indigo Girls, Patty, and Melissa Ferrick, if you couldn't tell that from my signature. Other artists I couldn't live without: Melissa Etheridge, Sheryl Crow, Shelby Lynne, Chris Pureka, Michelle Malone, Ani, Thea Gilmore, Sophie B. Hawkins, Rockwell Church, James Taylor, David Gray, Jackson Browne, etc etc. My favorite form of entertainment is going to concerts, whether I know the performer or not...I can't tell you how much great music I have discovered at live shows in little dive venues. I also love to play the guitar, though I'm not all that good at it.

Other interesting (or maybe not-so-interesting) tidbits - I've been diabetic since I was eleven years old. I am clinically depressed. Yay me. I am very strongly affected by caffeine...one cup of coffee and I am up all night twitching with nervous energy. I am also an insomniac, so I'm liable to be up at all hours of the night doing work or idly surfing the internet. Feel free to say hi if you see me hanging around. I have a huge crush on Angelina Jolie, because it really ought to be illegal to be that sexy.

Um...I can't think of anything else. I'm sure I'll reveal much more about myself as I get acquainted with all of you.

~Elise
I've become the beggar now, and you've become the saint somehow
twist the words and place the blame, and tell me now, aren't we the same?

-- Amy Ray

born under a bad sign, been down since I began to crawl
if it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have no luck at all

-- Albert King

the saints and all the martyrs look down on dying converts
"what makes the water holy," she said, "is that it's the closest thing to rain..."

-- Josh Ritter

...the blues is the roots...everything else is the fruits...
Fool On Fire
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Little_Kites » Sat Apr 16, 2005 3:59 pm

*Steps up to podum speaks into microphone*

Hello I'm Christine twenty somethingish and am a Pattyholic. Thats right a Pattyholic, I can deny it no longer, I must shout it from the rooftops! I am a Pattyholic and damned proud of it! Woot!

bahahah lol :P. Ok I love Patty! I think she's superbly talented, the icing on the musical cake, the cats meow etcetc. I'd like to see her live eventually but we seem to keep missing each other heh..so hopefully I'll get to do that at some point.

:)
Little_Kites
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby penguin » Sat Apr 16, 2005 7:08 pm

Hey everybody,

I'm Matt.

...huh? More information? Oh.

Uh... well, I was born in 1987. I've lived around San Francisco and here in Eugene, Oregon, and in four months I'm moving to Ann Arbor to go to the University of Michigan. But let's get to the good stuff: I've known Patty's music for three or four years now, but it wasn't until about a year ago when I started playing her songs on guitar that I realized how great she really was. Since then, I've been obsessed. I honestly can't even imagine where I'd be today if I hadn't found her music. Aside from Patty, I can also be found listening to Lucinda Williams, Chris Pureka, Melissa Ferrick, Matt Morrow, Antje Duvekot, Sarah Harmer, The Be Good Tanyas, Jerry Garcia, Kathleen Edwards, Aimee Mann, Deb Talan, Tom Petty, Gov't Mule, Warren Haynes, Phish, Neil Young...... Well, I could really go on with that list forever, but those are my most-played artists. If you don't know them, especially the first six, check them out!

I spend most of my time browsing Pattynet, talking to people I met on Pattynet, telling people about Pattynet, burning CD's for people from Pattynet... oh, I guess I go to class once in a while, too. I also spend a lot of time playing guitar and singing (badly), as well as going to as many concerts as I can afford.

I suppose I could go on, but I'll stop there before I bore you to death. You can see more of my various interests in my profile. If you're new to the forum, enjoy your stay! Oh, and if you do not have Silver Bell or Love From My Lips 1-3, send me a PM and we will correct this unfortunate situation. Take it easy.

--Penguin
I've got walls, I've got wings, I am ready for the fire
I've got trust in nothing, see, I lost it by and by
but I've got something shining somewhere
honey, I dream on the sly --Chris Pureka
PattyChat | AntjeDuvekot.net | ChrisPureka.net | MattMorrow.net | Trades
penguin
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby solesearching » Sat Apr 16, 2005 10:55 pm

I'm Melissa (the other Melissa). I live in the great state of Michigan...yipee for me! I have loved Patty since 96ish, since the moment I heard the first lines of Let Him Fly. I am a writer, soon to be graduated with my degree in creative writing emphasis in poetry and a minor in philosophy. Writing is truely my main passion in life, its something that I cannot seperate from the definition of myself. Majoring in poetry has taught me about traditional forms, and most importantly how to break those forms and how to find my own voice. It took me a long time to figure out what I wanted to do with my life but writing has always been a natural choice for me. I am often plagued with thoughts that hit me at the oddest times (ie. driving, sleeping, etc.) I wouldn't change anything about my career choice because I don't care if I ever make a bundle of money...that's just not me. I am an obsessive reader/movie watcher. I am not a huge tv fan though there are shows that I just have to watch. I am quite a solitary type person, I prefer to be left with my own thoughts.
Even though I am quite an introvert I enjoy engaging in intellectual (and sometimes extremely silly) conversation. I am also quite passionate about art, as it is something that I have studied for years. I enjoy studying the great painters as well as creating my own work. Some of my favorite painters include; Bosch, Basquiat, Klimt, Pollack, Khalo, De Kooning, and Vermeer. I also love me some good rock, I was raised on Zeppelin, the Stones, Floyd, ELP, King Crimson,and so on. I am also quite a fan of Joni Mitchell, Janis Ian, Joan Baez, Laura Nyro, Janis Joplin, and so on.

I am also a total sucker for some good guitar skills although I am unable to actually play my own guitar. I can only play the opening of Marley's Redemption Song and I think I can play a bit of A Case of You...other than that, I'm not so great. I really want to learn how to play though.
So anyway, that's my story (although I've only skimmed the surface!)

Ok, I seriously sound like I'm auditioning for a dating show!
How lovely and how doomed this connection of everyone with lungs.

Juliana Spahr
solesearching
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby Redlucifer » Sun Apr 17, 2005 8:55 pm

Hi there! My name's Jen and I'm a Pattyholic. I have adored Patty's music since about 2000 when I heard "Cain" on the Lillith Fair CD.

I'm probably the only Australian on this forum who actively posts :cry: but I'm hoping that will change eventually.

I was born in 1968. I live in beautiful Sydney with my partner and two cats and work as Project Manager for a very large Australian telecommunications company (it pays the bills OK but I need a change after 15 years).

My interests include travel (one day when I think I can cope with the LONG flight, I may even visit the US), collecting music and movies, keeping fish, cars and enjoying the great outdoors.

My favourite artists include Patty, Jonatha Brooke, Janis Ian, Maria McKee, Over the Rhine, Suzanne Vega, Sarah McLachlan, etc, etc.

Next ...
Redlucifer
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Next

Return to The Watercooler