Introduce yourself!

Off-topic discussions about anything you please!

Moderator: gillian

Postby princemyshkin » Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:56 am

Hello all, first time here after a while on TDT. Long time Patty fan and glad to be among friends. :D :D :D
princemyshkin
Falling Down
Falling Down

Postby Turk » Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:30 am

Welcome aboard. princemyshkin!
Glad to have you here.
Turk
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby docjake » Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:55 pm

Hello all! I used to frequent the TDtT fansite, but am glad to have found you all. It seems friendlier on this site. Anyway, I've been a Patty fan for a long time, ever since Living With Ghosts came out, but I've never seen her perform. Yeah, I know. There is no excuse. But I am delighted and thrilled and beside myself to announce that I have indeed booked my room for the Cayamo cruise!! Can't wait!!! So, glad to be here, looking forward to making your acquaintance here on the board and in Feb. on the cruise.
Sue :D
docjake
Falling Down
Falling Down

Postby Turk » Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:11 pm

Welcome, docjake!
Always glad to have another PattyFan in the flock and glad you have found your way here. I am proud to belong here and proclaim this to be the best haven for fans of Patty and music lovers in general.

I am excited for you and the others who'll be cruising with Patty. You have some time to get acquainted with the fellow passengers from here...and you're gonna love 'em. That's a promise.

eta: Watch out for Rob though, he can be all hands, and Tonto has a thing for feet. :wink:

Just kidding....maybe.
Turk
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby marybeth » Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:10 am

Hey Sue aka Docjake! Good to see you here!

And glad to hear you're one of the lucky ones who gets to go on the songwriters' cruise! My husband just keeps laughing when he hears about this cruise, because for YEARS I've resisted his suggestions to take boat rides of any kind, and now I'm like, well if anything would get me to go on a cruise, it would be this!
http://www.marybethdamico.com

Some people don't care if they live or they die
Some people want to know what it feels like to fly

Americana: "a nebulous category of misfits and acquired tastes, many of whom seem to have worn cowboy hats at one time or another" LA Times article
marybeth
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby docjake » Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:07 pm

Thanks marybeth! Good to be here!
You should go on the cruise!!!!! It is such a once in a lifetime opportunity!!!
docjake
Falling Down
Falling Down

Me

Postby Grif_fan » Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:01 am

Hello All,

I have been a Patty Fan since I heard the first word sung by Patty from LWG - "Diamonds." Never heard anyone like her and she has been in the depths of my soul since. Never miss a concert stop when she comes to my town which thankfully is often - Pittsburgh. My experience with Patty fans have been a good one. I find them to be listeners, appreciative of someone who is just that good. Generous, and kind in trading the music of Patty that we all love so much. It's taken me some time to realize after a bad experience that the BS of race, religion, and politics disappears when the communal joy of music is present. Patty has helped me along on that path.

I am married, I have a kid, a son, four years old. (I have a cute story of his experience with Patty) I like breathing, cool breezes, quietness. I swim 4-5 miles a week, and this past summer I have taken up bicycling. I recently volunteered to do ushering at our local music hall. Patti Smith, Queens of the Stone Age, Aaron Lewis, Hanson was the latest band to perform. Oh my, I only have five words to describe the Hanson experience... I WEEP FOR TODAY'S YOUTH!

Okay enough of my long winded rambling - I am starting to sound like I am applying for a dating service.

Most importantly I look forward to becoming an accepted part of ths community.

Currently listening to - Paula Cole's CD "Courage." That girl always has something to say. Hmmmm.
Grif_fan
Falling Down
Falling Down

Postby Turk » Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:16 am

Welcome aboard, Grif_fan!
You've come to the right place.
Turk
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby marybeth » Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:32 am

Welcome Grif fan! :)

Americana: "a nebulous category of misfits and acquired tastes, many of whom seem to have worn cowboy hats at one time or another" LA Times article
marybeth
Top of the World
Top of the World

Introducing

Postby meegs123 » Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:34 am

Hey guys! I thought I'd come in here and introduce myself. I'm from Australia and have been a Patty fan for about 2 years but have to admit that it has become a full blown infatuation since I saw her live in November during her first tour to Australia. I count myself ridiculously blessed and privileged to have seen such a performance and since then have purchased all her albums and Live From the Artists Den DVD as well as have tickets to the Blues and Roots Festival to see Patty again and also to her Brisbane show a couple days later in the front row! I absolutely cannot wait to see Patty again live she was such an inspiration to me, I haven't stopped writing songs and playing my guitar since I saw her. I've been trying my hardest to spread the word about her and have already converted my mum into a massive fan. Anyway just wanted to say hi and gush a bit about Patty! Cheers
meegs123
Falling Down
Falling Down

Postby flamingred09 » Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:37 am

Hey Meegs123!

Welcome to the site! It is so nice to see more people joining who love Patty just as much as we do. I have been doing the same thing as you have, spreading the word about Patty to as many people as I can. lol.

It's nice to see you and I know you will love it here!

Jess
I could land with the rest of all the broken down birds, thats where I find my way home
flamingred09
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby Turk » Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:53 am

Glad you're here, meegs, and welcome!
I love that you turned your mum onto Patty---and the fact that Patty inspires so many to create for themselves. She sure does have a way of stirring something inside of us all.
Turk
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby jessebearauntie » Sun May 18, 2008 7:57 pm

Hello PattyNetters:

I'm Karen and I live in Sacramento, CA. I make my living as an ecologist specializing in the rehibilitation of California's ecosystems. I am sustained by family - especially my 2-year old nephew Jesse (hence my name on the forum) - friends, nature, music, integrity, and kindness. I recently joined this wonderful website and thought I'd introduce myself (well, actually this was Turk's idea).

My first exposure to Patty was by chance. I was clicking through channels on TV and came across an ACL show back in 2000 or so that was highlighting songwriters. I figured I'd watch for a while - I was into Dave Matthews at the time and he was featured on the show. I heard Patty perform on the same show and I was hooked but really didn't do much about it until recently. I have most of Patty's records and keep one or two in my CD player at any given time.

Music is a crazy powerful thing in my life. I love to listen to, play, and create music. So it is awesome to find a gem like Patty - such a humble, generous talent (is their anyone whose record she won't sing on!?) who strives to be true to her muse.

I will be going to my first Patty concert this August at Mountain Winery in Saratoga, CA (thanks to Kevin for the head's-up - looking forward to connecting with you at the concert).

Here's a few fun factoids (that I hope I have correct - yikes!) about me and some of my musical influences.

Nancy Wilson (of Heart) made me want to play guitar.
Her birthdate - March 16 (1954)

Patty Griffin made me want to sing.
Her birthdate - March 16 (1964)

My birthdate - March 16 (1964)

Unfortunately, any additonal similarities drop off drastcially after this point (however, like Patty, I was born on the east coast, in CT).

I have had the pleasure of interacting with some PattyNetters already and you are truly a fun-loving, helpful, and appreciative group of folks. Looking forward to connecting more with you all. You do Patty proud!

Karen (aka jessebearauntie)

P.S. I love Matt's tabs - a big thank you for providing them and making playing Patty's music more accessible to all!
jessebearauntie
A Place to Stand
A Place to Stand

Postby keith from ny » Sun May 18, 2008 8:14 pm

Welcome, Karen! Rehabilitating California's ecosystems, now that is a truly noble and challenging line of work. Glad to have you here, I'm sure your first Patty show will be an amazing experience.
I don't know nothing except change will come
keith from ny
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby marybeth » Mon May 19, 2008 2:30 am

Hey Karen, welcome to the board! I hope you enjoy your first Patty concert and come and tell us about it.

marybeth
Top of the World
Top of the World

PreviousNext

Return to The Watercooler