So, what do you look like?

Off-topic discussions about anything you please!

Moderator: gillian

Postby Rob » Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:11 am

Turk wrote:
Rob wrote:I know Turk will be in. Right, Turk?

I'm not an avid climber and have never canyoneered to any great extent but I would love to check it out. I'm sure it's a rush.

It's a total rush and the best thing is you don't really need any climbing or canyoneering experience for most of this stuff. In slot canyons there can be climbing equipment involved, but as long as someone is along who knows their stuff, it's totally doable. I've done some of it and I'm a rank amateur at best.

But to answer Marybeth's question, hiking totally counts in the Patty Adventurers Club. We can get to some pretty spectacular places just on foot. And then Tim can Yodel his head off.

So we have me, Jessica, Marybeth, Zimmo, Tim and Turk. Who else is in? I need to know because I have to draw up the membership lists, write the by-laws, print membership and business cards, get incorporated, write a theme song and get Yodeling manuals out to everyone.

But seriously, it would be fun sometime in the not-so-distant future to get a group together for some good outdoors stuff, be it a day hike or Pattyfest in Utah! Nothing so bonds a group like surviving the great outdoors (and watching Turk trying to Yodel).
You can't really dust for vomit.

-- Nigel Tufnel
Rob
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby ScottG » Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:24 am

Yo-de-le-HE-hooo! I'm in.
I'll post some Kentucky photos when I get a chance.
Doesn't begin to compare to the west... but ya hike what ya got.
"Indifferent, but distanced perfectly
Projected endlessly, it’s so FUCKING beautiful!!!"
ScottG
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby scottz » Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:57 am

marybeth wrote:I like hiking, does that cut it in the PN Adventure Club? I know Smit would join if he ever showed his face around this place!

We used to sit at the Trail-heads at several spots in Rocky Mountain N.P. and watch the real hikers getting their gear on. I remember one group near Alberta Falls, those guys must've spent an hour just getting dressed for it. I can imagine all of their acoutrements were purpose specific, and by no means cheap.
I love the National Parks policy of "Leave no Trace." It isn't hard to find deep respect for the flora & fauna. You find yourself wanting to step carefully and stay "on trail" as much as possible. I remember being above the tree line and into the many species of tundra, getting down on my knees and looking closely at what was happening. You could easily tell that each of the plants were in their own little struggle for survival. Each of them had their little space. It felt almost as though they all were placed there very carefully by god. :)
Oh, by the way. You'll know the really experienced climbers, hikers, and canyoneers when you see them. You'll hear them say "excuse us" as they blow past you and scurry up the trail. We always look at the first couple of lakes or waterfalls on the trail maps, and figure..."well this is only a couple of miles, with only a 100ft. rise. We can do that" Those pro's are like..."Wanna go over it, or around?" :lol:
Waiting for Lightning...
scottz
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby scottz » Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:12 am

I was so proud, when I finally graduated from my walking stick (a real stick) to some adjustable aluminum hiking poles. One of them is like a monopod, so I can attach my sony digital camera. It's very handy, since the camera doesn't weigh much. I recommend using two poles if you're in rocky areas, and it's much safer when crossing streams. A LOT less chance of getting soaked! :lol:

P.S. I may not yodel, but I'll bring along my walnut flute. It's made for the canyons.
...less apt to scare off the wildlife, ya know. :lol:
Waiting for Lightning...
scottz
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby Rob » Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:38 am

This is great stuff, but let's move these conversations over to the new Pattynet Adventurers Club thread. I think I'll move your posts over first Zimmo, if you don't mind...
You can't really dust for vomit.

-- Nigel Tufnel
Rob
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby sandina » Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:17 pm

I happen to have some photos of Tim yodeling in the canyon. I'm just not so sure they're suitable for public viewing.

I'm in for hiking and/or yodeling!
sandina
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby sandina » Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:17 pm

I happen to have some photos of Tim yodeling in the canyon. I'm just not so sure they're suitable for public viewing.

sandina
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby Turk » Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:21 pm

sandina wrote:I happen to have some photos of Tim yodeling in the canyon. I'm just not so sure they're suitable for public viewing.

Yodeling so nice - she posted it twice.
Turk
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby TontoBronto » Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:31 pm

Turk wrote:
sandina wrote:I happen to have some photos of Tim yodeling in the canyon. I'm just not so sure they're suitable for public viewing.

Yodeling so nice - she posted it twice.

Confucius says man who yodels in canyon gets echo.
TontoBronto
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby scottz » Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:12 pm

LMYO-------O--------O----------o----------o--------o--------o
Waiting for Lightning...
scottz
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby Roy » Thu May 04, 2006 1:00 am

OMGosh, I can't believe I haven't posted to this thread yet. With PattyFest '06 right around the corner, you're gonna need a program to know the players...

(I wear a hat to protect the camera from glare...)

War may sometimes be a necessary evil. But no matter how necessary, it is always an evil, never a good. We will not learn to live together in peace by killing each other's children.

Jimmy Carter - 2002 Nobel Peace Prize acceptance speech
Roy
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby RightOverThisMess » Thu May 04, 2006 8:23 am

Meeee!

Nobody helps a liar.
...and you don't know what I've done.
RightOverThisMess
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby marybeth » Thu May 04, 2006 9:12 am

Hey Carly great to see you!! *waves* Another Pattynet hottie. :)
http://www.marybethdamico.com

Some people don't care if they live or they die
Some people want to know what it feels like to fly

Americana: "a nebulous category of misfits and acquired tastes, many of whom seem to have worn cowboy hats at one time or another" LA Times article
marybeth
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby RightOverThisMess » Thu May 04, 2006 9:37 am

marybeth wrote:Hey Carly great to see you!! *waves* Another Pattynet hottie. :)

hehe... Thanks!
Nobody helps a liar.
...and you don't know what I've done.
RightOverThisMess
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby RedEarth » Thu May 04, 2006 12:16 pm

Glad you two posted your pictures, it's fun to place faces with the names.

Roy, I understand you were at the Fort Worth show too, I'm so disappointed that I missed meeting PattyNet folks. I won't let that happen again.

Jessica
RedEarth
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

PreviousNext

Return to The Watercooler