James Taylor

Yes, there's a whole world of music out there besides Patty.

Moderator: gillian

Postby sfboy » Sat Dec 02, 2006 4:20 pm

I love James Taylor, too. It's so funny. There are 3 of songs that are, for me, those I-can't-live-without-them songs. They're You Can Close Your Eyes, Terra Nova, and Another Gray Morning. I honestly don't know anyone who knows the latter two, and then I check out the James Taylor thread on this site and lo and behold, they're both quoted. It really made my day.

Now, moving on to the Christmas topic. I don't mind people doing Christmas CDs, but I almost never like them. I either like really funny Christmas songs or really traditional songs. On Aimee Mann's CD I love The Grinch. I have to say that I'm pretty disappointed with James' Christmas CD. I just got it yesterday and was so psyched to listen to it but it didn't do much for me on the first listen. Maybe I'll just need to listen to it again. And sorry, but his version of River just doesn't do it for me. Do you guys all like it? I don't have very much music theory training or anything like that, but it sounds to me like he's changed a lot of the chords. It's one of my all time favorite songs and I've heard Tori Amos do a great cover version, but this one for me isn't so great.

And by the way, James Taylor did the Bridge School Benefit a number of years ago (it's an acoustic benefit put on by Neil Young with lots of friends every year in Mountain View in the Bay Area) and they just released a bunch of old songs from previous years on iTunes. There are 3 or 4 James Taylor songs there, and for only 99cents a piece, you can't go wrong!

Kevin
sfboy
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby Fool On Fire » Sat Dec 02, 2006 4:40 pm

I'm not sold on Christmas albums in general (Sarah McLachlan's is the latest unbelievable travesty - John Lennon must squirm in his grave every time her version of "happy christmas (war is over)" plays), although I do enjoy James's version of "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas." But I don't like his version of "River." Although I'm admittedly a *big* purist when it comes to cover songs... :P

I have such fond, safe, loving memories connected with James's music. I remember falling asleep to "Sweet Baby James"...making cookies with "Traveling Star" in the background...reciting the lyrics to "Long Ago and Far Away" instead of reading a bedtime story...having my mother sing "Sarah Maria" to me and tell me that it reminded her of her own little girl, even though James didn't use my name exactly. ;)

And it amazes me that his voice is still so solid and pure, even all these years into his career. Bob Dylan's voice has atrophied...even Joni Mitchell went from three-octave-range soprano to alto...but James still sounds *exactly* the same as he did when he was 25.

I heart him,
~Elise
I've become the beggar now, and you've become the saint somehow
twist the words and place the blame, and tell me now, aren't we the same?

-- Amy Ray

born under a bad sign, been down since I began to crawl
if it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have no luck at all

-- Albert King

the saints and all the martyrs look down on dying converts
"what makes the water holy," she said, "is that it's the closest thing to rain..."

-- Josh Ritter

...the blues is the roots...everything else is the fruits...
Fool On Fire
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Rob » Sat Dec 02, 2006 8:19 pm

sfboy wrote:I love James Taylor, too. It's so funny. There are 3 of songs that are, for me, those I-can't-live-without-them songs. They're You Can Close Your Eyes, Terra Nova, and Another Gray Morning. I honestly don't know anyone who knows the latter two, and then I check out the James Taylor thread on this site and lo and behold, they're both quoted. It really made my day.
Kevin

Terra Nova was always one of my faves, Kevin. The ending with Carly is sublime. I think most JT fans who delve deep enough into his catalog soon discover what a gem it is. Those that don't.... tough noogies! :lol:

Another song off that album that I always liked was Bartender's Blues. A few years back, my friend's band was a big alternative indie group up in upstate New York and they played some pretty loud stuff. I saw them a zillion times and one night, for the encore, they pulled out Bartender's Blues. I didn't know what I was hearing at first because it was so out of place and such a stretch for them to be doing it. When I realized what it was, I just started laughing. The lead singer was surprised I knew the song. I had no idea he was a JT fan, and you never would've thought it, but he was. Probably cause he was a pretty damn good songwriter himself.
You can't really dust for vomit.

-- Nigel Tufnel
Rob
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby Turk » Sat Dec 02, 2006 9:14 pm

Rob wrote:Terra Nova was always one of my faves, Kevin. The ending with Carly is sublime. I think most JT fans who delve deep enough into his catalog soon discover what a gem it is. Those that don't.... tough noogies! :lol:

Another song off that album that I always liked was Bartender's Blues.

I really hated when James and Carly split. Their harmonizing on Terra Nova still moves me to this day. On the PBS tribute show that's airing (the DVD is out or will be soon), James accepts the award and while he's thanking people, his family, friends and influences, I was so hoping he would mention Carly. Alas, he did not.

Re: Bartender's Blues, the legendary George Jones had a major hit when he covered it. I'd bet that hardcore country fans might not know that JT wrote it.
Turk
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby sfboy » Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:34 am

I was only 13 when JT came out, but it was and will always be my favorite of James' CDs. Please don't kill me for saying this but I haven't been able to get into his last couple of CDs. I really really want to like them but I just can't. But JT--Bartender's Blues is also just great, especitally with Linda on background vocals. Even Handyman, which I heard a million times as a kid on AM radio in my parents' cars, sounds sublime now. And yes, Carly's vocals at the end of Terra Nova are just amazing. To me, they're sort of the East Coast pop versions of Lindsey and Stevie. They may have had (and will continue to have) great solo careers, but really, they will always sound best when they're singing together.

So I guess we need to start the Terra Nova fan club!

And great story, Rob. It's always werid to hear stuff you love out of context.

Kevin
sfboy
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby marybeth » Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:15 am

Well, as I already stated earlier, Gray Morning is one of my all time favorite JT songs. :)

and P.S., why is Carly Simon so underappreciated? I consider her a major songwriting influence. Her albums Hotcakes and No Secrets still get play on my ol' turntable.
http://www.marybethdamico.com

Some people don't care if they live or they die
Some people want to know what it feels like to fly

Americana: "a nebulous category of misfits and acquired tastes, many of whom seem to have worn cowboy hats at one time or another" LA Times article
marybeth
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Turk » Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:43 pm

marybeth wrote:P.S., why is Carly Simon so underappreciated? I consider her a major songwriting influence. Her albums Hotcakes and No Secrets still get play on my ol' turntable.

I think Carly has a rather modest fan base. I liked much of her earlier stuff and my No Secrets casette still gets played quite often. I remember singing "His Friends Are More Than Fond of Robin" and "You're So Vain" on the school bus with my friends just to piss off the rednecks who all rode in the back. :D
Although very moody and sad, I loved the Torch album she made after the divorce from JT.

On the PBS tribute show that's airing (the DVD is out or will be soon), James accepts the award and while he's thanking people, his family, friends and influences, I was so hoping he would mention Carly. Alas, he did not.

Ironically though, when JT was thanking people, he did mention Russell Kunkel, a popular drummer who toured with many greats AND married Carly Simon a few years back.
Turk
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby libraryliz » Sun Dec 03, 2006 1:02 pm

I've noticed that James & Carly never discuss each other.
In interviews, it's always mentioned by the interviewer but they don't comment.
For whatever reason, I have no idea, of course.
They are older & wiser now, I guess.
Liz
libraryliz
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby marybeth » Sun Dec 03, 2006 2:42 pm

I remember how we loved to sing "Daddy, I'm no Virgin" and "No Secrets" cause both seemed naughty.
http://www.marybethdamico.com

Some people don't care if they live or they die
Some people want to know what it feels like to fly

Americana: "a nebulous category of misfits and acquired tastes, many of whom seem to have worn cowboy hats at one time or another" LA Times article
marybeth
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby sfboy » Sun Dec 03, 2006 2:48 pm

My favorite Carly recording was Boys in the Trees. I just love love love Boys in the Trees, Back Down to Earth, One Man Woman, In a Small Moment, and she and James sound great on Devoted to You.

And Carly Simon married Russ Kunkel?? Holy sh&t, where was I? What a pair. Are they still married?

Kevin
sfboy
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby kcguy » Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:48 am

Turk wrote:Damn, this is a dusty thread.

I saw a more-than-unbelievable tribute to James Taylor a couple of nights ago on a PBS pledge-drive. The Music Cares foundation named JT their "musician of the year for 2006." I think it was actually taped last Feb. but is just now being broadcast. There are quite a few musicians who showed up to sing James' songs to us and to sing their praises to him; Bonnie Raitt, Jackson Browne, Springsteen, Taj Mahal, India Arie, David Crosby, Sting, Dr. John, Dixie Chicks and Carole King among others. Being a huge fan of his music, the entire show was fantastic, but my single favorite moment was when Alison Krauss and Jerry Douglas joined JT's band to perform "Carolina in My Mind."

Catch this while you can.

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/gperf/shows/jttribute/

I saw this show yesterday (late at night, so no pledge drive interruptions :D ). I agree that it was fantastic. James looked like he was having a really great time. Recently, I've seen a number of things in the media (blogs, newpaper/magazine articles) that have been dismissive of James as an artist; it's nice to see him getting respect from his peers.
kcguy
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby Rob » Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:09 am

kcguy wrote:Recently, I've seen a number of things in the media (blogs, newpaper/magazine articles) that have been dismissive of James as an artist; it's nice to see him getting respect from his peers.

Dismissive? Those are from people with little talent and huge egos -- things James has in reverse.

But hey, I guess the Beatles and Joni Mitchell and David Crosby and Neil Young and Carole King and Lowell George and Don Henley and Shawn Colvin and Sting and Stevie Wonder and on and on and on must be dummies who couldn't recognize what a lightweight JT is.
You can't really dust for vomit.

-- Nigel Tufnel
Rob
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby Turk » Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:23 pm

marybeth wrote:I remember how we loved to sing "Daddy, I'm no Virgin" and "No Secrets" cause both seemed naughty.

Hehehe - This doesn't surprise me, MB.
It really was VERY controversial for that time wasn't it?
Turk
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Turk » Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:46 pm

Ian -
Can we get your input on the JT show?
Please? :wink:
Turk
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Ian » Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:59 pm

Turk wrote:Ian -
Can we get your input on the JT show?
Please? :wink:

Hey Turk... that's not fair :lol:

I have to be honest and say it wasn't one of the best gigs I've ever been to but out of the 5000 or so that attended, I was probably one of only a handful of people who weren't moved by him and all of the friends I went with, were extremely enthusiastic about his performance on the journey home.

Yeah OK, he was the consummate professional and his backing musicians were of the highest calibre I've seen but I really wasn't touched by seeing him live. Maybe it's my aversion to big auditorium gigs but I really didn't feel any connection with him at all and that's a big thing for me. I might as well have stayed at home and put on a DVD of one of his shows.

Sorry that I can't be more positive about it :(
Ian
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

PreviousNext

Return to Music. (Other than Patty!)