So! Who are you going to see play?

Yes, there's a whole world of music out there besides Patty.

Moderator: gillian

Postby sfboy » Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:16 pm

Hey Elise

Have a great time. Saw the IGs last night in a really small club. My friend Ellen got in line early, so we were right up front, which was great, except that the lights were really really bad. We almost couldn't see because they were so bright and right in our eyes. Everyone in the first 4 or 5 rows of people was shielding his/her (well, mostly her) eyes. But other than that, really fun, so I know you're going to have a great time. They did 3 new songs, too, which we really liked. I can't remember the names exactly, but something like Sugarland, Fleet of Hope, and The Third Time Around. Anyway, ENJOY!!! Amy and Emily ROCK!

KEVIN
sfboy
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby RedEarth » Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:28 am

sfboy wrote: Everyone in the first 4 or 5 rows of people was shielding his/her (well, mostly her) eyes.

LOL!
I'm not exactly sure who I'm going to see, but the important part is that I'm going to start getting out to live music again. It's been too damn long.

I will most likely be seeing both Broken Social Scene and Neko in an eight day span. That alone has me quite excited!
Jessica

I don't know but I'm set to find out, I don't know but I'm a gonna find out
RedEarth
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby RedEarth » Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:04 pm

Broken Social Scene is tonight, and Neko next Thurs!!

And unexpectedly, I've been assigned to sit in Chicago for six days starting tomorrow. I bet I can find something good to go see there. (I'm trying to see some good in the cruddy assignment). :(
Jessica

I don't know but I'm set to find out, I don't know but I'm a gonna find out
RedEarth
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby bivester » Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:19 pm

DAVID BYRNE
Tuesday, October 21, 2008
The Palace Theatre - Louisville

Orchestra Center- 12th Row

:)
"well, i'll bet you can't pronounce 'b-a-n-g-o-r' correctly any better than i can say 'louisville'... " ~patty to me after the kentucky theatre show

"and i'm so twitterpated about bill, i just tuned the wrong guitar...i said twitterpated, that's what i said." ~karin bergquist @ cst | dayton (sat | 04.09.2005)

bivester:concert photographs
bivester
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby Arlene » Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:35 am

Not a bad 5 days of music :wink: :

Fri 9/12 Lori McKenna and Mary Gauthier at The Egg in Albany

Mon 9/15 Attending a taping at the Apollo Theatre in Harlem of Elvis Costello's new interview/live performance TV show, Spectacle- this session was a guitar pull with Elvis, Roseanne Cash, Norah Jones, Kris Kristofferson and John Melloncamp (look for this to air on the Sundance cable channel in December or January)

Tuesday 9/16 Kasey Chambers and Shane Nicholson w/Justin Townes Earle opening at NYC's Highline Ballroom (went with Keith-- GREAT show!!!)

Wednesday 9/17 Patty G and The Swell Season in Central Park (with Keith)
"You've got to sing like you don't need the money, love like you'll never get hurt. You've got to dance like no one is watching. It's gotta come from the heart, if you want it to work."
~Susannah Clark

"Ginger Rogers did everything that Fred Astaire did. She just did it backwards and in high heels." ~Molly Ivins

"If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes, only sooner."
~Tallulah Bankhead

Arlene
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby keith from ny » Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:40 am

Kasey's show with Shane & Dad last night was absolutely fabulous! :D

Gerry and I saw Lori McKenna and Mary Gauthier at the Towne Crier Saturday night, also a great show (very nice to talk to Lori for a couple of minutes after the show, she was delighted someone showed up with The Kitchen Tapes for her to sign). Gerry shot some really good pics, hopefully we'll get them up eventually.
I don't know nothing except change will come
keith from ny
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby sfboy » Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:43 pm

Counting Crows tonight

Teddy Thompson Friday

Dar Williams (no tickets yet)
Joan Baez (no tickets yet, hoping to get good seats somehow)
maybe Alison Moyet (like her old stuff, don't like her new stuff, hmm?)
maybe Lucinda Williams (I've already seen her twice this tour)
sfboy
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby Fool On Fire » Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:40 pm

sfboy wrote:Hey Elise

Have a great time. Saw the IGs last night in a really small club. ... They did 3 new songs, too, which we really liked. I can't remember the names exactly, but something like Sugarland, Fleet of Hope, and The Third Time Around. Anyway, ENJOY!!! Amy and Emily ROCK!

KEVIN

They sooooooo fucking rock. I'm in love all over again. Sadie and I were right up at the front of one of the most kick-ass crowds I've ever been part of. Everyone was so amped, in such a good way - in my experience, IG crowds are mostly really nice and appreciative, but there can be some belligerent drunkenness, and there was hardly any of that this time. Before the girls came onstage they were playing the pre-show mix, which had some Beatles and Tom Petty, and the crowd started singing along to those! haha. So when Amy gets on stage the first thing she said was, "I knew y'all were in it for a good time when I heard you singing to the Tom Petty song." :lol

They were both in the greatest mood, giggling and joking around the whole show. They played "Prince of Darkness"...let their wonderful roadie Sully sing the last verse of "Closer to Fine" and got some of the loudest cheers of the night...brought out Julie Wolf for all the backup keyboards and accordion parts and fuckin' jammed...their new songs are beautiful. Emily's new ones are especially good. She's seemed a trifle stagnant on the last couple of records so it's great to hear her hitting stride again. And Amy is always badass.

I'm still wearing my wristband,
~Elise
I've become the beggar now, and you've become the saint somehow
twist the words and place the blame, and tell me now, aren't we the same?

-- Amy Ray

born under a bad sign, been down since I began to crawl
if it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have no luck at all

-- Albert King

the saints and all the martyrs look down on dying converts
"what makes the water holy," she said, "is that it's the closest thing to rain..."

-- Josh Ritter

...the blues is the roots...everything else is the fruits...
Fool On Fire
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby sfboy » Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:09 pm

Glad you enjoyed it, Elise. Like someone wouldn't enjoy an IGs show. Anyway, did they say anything about the new CD? All they said when I saw them last was that it's done but won't be out until February, I think.

Kevin
sfboy
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby Fool On Fire » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:35 pm

Yes, they confirmed it won't be released til February, and Emily said that it's going to be a double-album. One disc will be the full-on studio production, the other will be the same songs but all-acoustic, just the two of them sitting around playing. Which is very old-school of them. Ha. I wonder if it will be released on vinyl. If it is, I just might go super-old-school and buy it that way. Raar.

oh and have you heard amy's new solo cd? don't know if you're a fan of her solo work but I think it's fantastic. she rocks my punky little heart out.

~elise
I've become the beggar now, and you've become the saint somehow
twist the words and place the blame, and tell me now, aren't we the same?

-- Amy Ray

born under a bad sign, been down since I began to crawl
if it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have no luck at all

-- Albert King

the saints and all the martyrs look down on dying converts
"what makes the water holy," she said, "is that it's the closest thing to rain..."

-- Josh Ritter

...the blues is the roots...everything else is the fruits...
Fool On Fire
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby sfboy » Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:06 am

Cool--thanks for the latest info on the new CD, Elise. Great concept. Could you imagine if Patty did that? The thought makes me shiver...

Speaking of which, I know you're a big James Taylor fan. Have you seen that he's putting out a covers CD? And the choices of song are very interesting, including one of your all time favorite groups, the Dixie Chicks! Just wondering if you'd heard anything from it. I love JT up until about JT, and I've really tried to get into his latest CDs, but just couldn't.

Kevin
sfboy
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby Ian » Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:45 pm

It's a Celtic double header for me this week with Heidi Talbot at my local folk club tomorrow night.
Followed by the beautiful Cara Dillon at the Bury Met' on Saturday.

Might have to sink a few pints of Guinness tonight to help get me in the mood :wink:
Ian
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby Klary » Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:43 am

Marybeth d'Amico, on her Dutch tour :D
How the little dreams we dream
are all we can really do
Klary
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby becmurr » Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:11 pm

I went to see James McMurtry on Thursday night-Kieran Kane was the opening-that's who I really went to see :wink:
becmurr
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby RightOverThisMess » Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:19 am

I've been deleting my emails that I get from Ticketmaster ever since I moved to Korea. Out of sight, out of mind. I don't want to know what concerts I'm missing while I'm over here.
Nobody helps a liar.
...and you don't know what I've done.
RightOverThisMess
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

PreviousNext

Return to Music. (Other than Patty!)