Nanci Griffith

Yes, there's a whole world of music out there besides Patty.

Moderator: gillian

Nanci Griffith

Postby Turk » Thu Jan 27, 2005 12:20 pm

Nanci Griffith has a new album due out February 1st called "Hearts in Mind".
Also released on that day is "One Fair Summer Evening" for the 1st time on DVD. It will include bonus tracks and 5 full-length videos. I luz me sum Naince.

http://nancigriffith.com/index.php
Turk
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Turk » Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:48 am

ROUNDER RECORDS SET TO RELEASE COLLECTION OF
INTIMATE TORCH SONGS BY NANCI GRIFFITH

RUBY'S TORCH DUE NOVEMBER 14;

FEATURING INTERPRETATIONS OF MATERIAL BY WILLIE NELSON AND TOM WAITS

Rounder Records is pleased to announce the November 14th release of Ruby's Torch, a new album by Grammy-winning, singer-songwriter and "folkabilly" artist Nanci Griffith. Ruby's Torch is a collection of intimate torch songs, some penned by Griffith, others by some of her musical heroes. “Recording an entire record of torch songs has been a dream come true for me,” says Griffith “and something my listeners have been asking me to do for many years.”

Rather than relying on tried-and-true torch standards, she pays homage to an eclectic array of influences on Ruby's Torch . “When I Dream” has been performed by Crystal Gayle and Willie Nelson, and represents country balladry at its most powerful. Griffith also tips her hat to Jimmy Webb, whose masterful songwriting is at its peak in the touching “If These Walls Could Speak.” Griffith offers lush interpretations of three Tom Waits numbers “Grapefruit Moon,” “Ruby's Arms,” and “Please Call Me, Baby.”

Also included is “Bluer Than Blue,” the bittersweet ballad penned by Charles Goodrum and popularized in the late '70s by one of the masters of mellow country-pop, Michael Johnson. Griffith also offers her take on the bluesy, winsome “Drops From the Faucet” written by former Blue Moon Orchestra Guitarist, Frank Christian as well as the delicate yearning of “Never Be the Sun” by Irish baladeer, Donal MacDonagh Long.

The one track with a genuine torch pedigree, “In the Wee Small Hours of the Morning” (popularized by the inimitable Frank Sinatra) fits in seamlessly thanks to Griffith's ability to mesh her many inspirations and deliver them with her own charismatic style.

“The challenge in performing these songs is that you have to somehow remain true to the spirit of the song but infuse it with your own story,” Griffith explains. “If you don't fill the song with your own emotions, then you really are just going through the motions.”

Backing Griffith on this collection is the Blue Moon Orchestra, which has been with her since 1986. Over the past two decades these musicians have evolved with Griffith every step of the way. Which is what makes the reinvented versions of “Brave Companion of the Road” (from Griffith's 1989 album, “Storm”) and the title track to her 1991 album, “Late Night Grand Hotel” so fascinating.

“Sometimes you find whole new personalities in songs when you perform them in a new setting,” Griffith observes. “It's like looking at a landscape from different angles. You can really appreciate all the textures and features of the terrain if you approach it from different directions.”

Griffith has been described as a singer-songwriter's singer-songwriter, but the accolade really rings true if you consider some of her biggest fans: Bob Dylan (who requested that Griffith sing “Boots of Spanish Leather” at his Madison Square Garden anniversary concert) as well as Emmylou Harris and Willie Nelson, who have performed Griffith's songs. And then there are the awards: five Grammy nominations (including a win for 1993's Other Voices, Other Rooms) and two more for her dazzling performances on albums by The Chieftains.

1. WHEN I DREAM (Sandy Mason)

2. IF THESE WALLS COULD SPEAK (Jimmy Webb)

3. RUBY'S ARMS (Tom Waits)

4. NEVER BE THE SUN (Donaugh Long)

5. BLUER THAN BLUE (Charles Goodrum)

6. BRAVE COMPANION OF THE ROAD (Nanci Griffith)

7. GRAPEFRUIT MOON (Tom Waits)

8. PLEASE CALL ME, BABY (Tom Waits)

9. LATE NIGHT GRANDE HOTEL (Nanci Griffith)

10. IN THE WEE SMALL HOURS OF THE MORNING (David Mann/Bob Hilliard)

11. DROPS FROM THE FAUCET (Frank Christian)

A full Cabaret tour will launch in February.
Turk
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Arlene » Sun Oct 01, 2006 11:37 am

I've always hoped that Patty would include a cover of Tom Waits's Ruby's Arms on one of her CDs. I see that Nanci Griffith beat her to it. (It's such a GREAT song and so suited to Patty's voice.)
"You've got to sing like you don't need the money, love like you'll never get hurt. You've got to dance like no one is watching. It's gotta come from the heart, if you want it to work."
~Susannah Clark

"Ginger Rogers did everything that Fred Astaire did. She just did it backwards and in high heels." ~Molly Ivins

"If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes, only sooner."
~Tallulah Bankhead

Arlene
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby sfboy » Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:21 am

Nanci has a new CD out and I was just wondering if anyone has heard it. Would love to know what you think.

Kevin
sfboy
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby Turk » Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:42 am

Kevin -
I don't have the album yet but there is a video someone put together featuring the title song. It's about an interracial couple in the 1950s. Their last name was/is Loving. They were jailed in Virginia for breaking the law when they got married. Interracial marriage was illegal.

Watch the video and read about the Lovings here..............

Mildred Loving died on May 2, 2008. A year before she died, on the 40th anniversary of the Supreme Court decision that made her marriage legal, she issued a public statement that has inspired many gay people fighting for their rights to marry.

Mildred Loving wrote:Surrounded as I am now by wonderful children and grandchildren, not a day goes by that I don't think of Richard and our love, our right to marry, and how much it meant to me to have that freedom to marry the person precious to me, even if others thought he was the "wrong kind of person" for me to marry. I believe all Americans, no matter their race, no matter their sex, no matter their sexual orientation, should have that same freedom to marry. Government has no business imposing some people's religious beliefs over others. Especially if it denies people's civil rights.

I am still not a political person, but I am proud that Richard's and my name is on a court case that can help reinforce the love, the commitment, the fairness, and the family that so many people, black or white, young or old, gay or straight seek in life. I support the freedom to marry for all. That's what Loving, and loving, are all about.
Turk
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Russell » Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:10 pm

sfboy wrote:Nanci has a new CD out and I was just wondering if anyone has heard it. Would love to know what you think.

Kevin

Here you go (just a reminder, lala.com provides one full play on their nickel):

<object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" data="http://www.lala.com/external/flash/PlaylistWidget.swf" id="lalaAlbumEmbed" width="300" height="254"><param name="movie" value="http://www.lala.com/external/flash/PlaylistWidget.swf"><param name="wmode" value="transparent"><param name="allowNetworking" value="all"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><param name="flashvars" value="albumId=1657606138647314416&host=www.lala.com&partnerId=memberalbum"><embed id="lalaAlbumEmbed" name="lalaAlbumEmbed" src="http://www.lala.com/external/flash/PlaylistWidget.swf" width="300" height="254" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" wmode="transparent" allowNetworking="all" allowScriptAccess="always" flashvars="albumId=1657606138647314416&host=www.lala.com&partnerId=memberalbum"></embed></object>
Russell
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby Turk » Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:35 pm

Thanks for that, Russell.
Don't have time to listen now but will later.
Turk
Top of the World
Top of the World

Return to Music. (Other than Patty!)