Kasey Chambers

Yes, there's a whole world of music out there besides Patty.

Moderator: gillian

Postby marybeth » Mon Apr 17, 2006 3:01 pm

OMG, that is a riot! Hey, welcome to our board!

I love Kasey! I introduced my band to her, and now we do four songs of hers: Barricades and Brickwalls, Last Hard Bible, Guilty as Sin and Runaway Train. The bass and lead guitarist love them as much as the singers.
http://www.marybethdamico.com

Some people don't care if they live or they die
Some people want to know what it feels like to fly

Americana: "a nebulous category of misfits and acquired tastes, many of whom seem to have worn cowboy hats at one time or another" LA Times article
marybeth
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby luwdoo » Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:42 pm

Thanks for the welcome. After seeing that clip you have to love her! What a talent and what a character! I've seen her live a few times. Her shows are alot of fun. It's great the way she teases her Dad.
luwdoo
Falling Down
Falling Down

Postby Ian » Mon Jun 26, 2006 2:18 am

For Annika's benefit

TOP!
I still don't blame you for leaving baby... it's cold living with goats
Ian
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby Annika » Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:06 am

Kasey Chambers is doing some gigs in the US in September... If you are somewhere near you should go, you won't regret it... (I'm still waiting for some European gigs to show up among her tour dates...)

17th September, 2006 Austin City Limits Music Festival Austin, TX

18th September, 2006 Park West Theatre Chicago, ILL

20th September, 2006 Irving Plaza New York, NY

22nd September, 2006 Ford Amphitheatre Los Angeles, CA

She's got a new album (Carnival) out in August. The single Nothing at All is already released here ...7 Digital
Annika
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby keith from ny » Mon Jun 26, 2006 5:26 am

Annika wrote:Kasey Chambers is doing some gigs in the US in September...

20th September, 2006 Irving Plaza New York, NY

Woo-hoo!! :D Thanks for the heads up, Annika!

Hope she comes through Sweden for you soon.
I don't know nothing except change will come
keith from ny
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Annika » Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:39 pm

There was a comment on her EMI website earlier that she would do a US tour and possible some UK/European gigs so I still have my hopes up... :)
Annika
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby sfboy » Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:46 pm

Hey Annika

Kevin here. I posted about the Counting Crows, and I reposted, but I wasn't sure if you'd see it, so I thought I'd post here, too. Thanks so much for the link to her cover of Around Here.

I have to ask you one question. I like her CDs a lot, but there's one song of hers that absolutely kills me. It's Paper Aeroplane. It's one of the saddest songs I've ever heard, and I can't listen to it without crying. What do you think of that song? Anyone else out there have any strong reactions to it?

I hope you get to see her this summer, and I"ll keep a lookout to see if she makes it to the Bay Area.

Thanks again for the heads up.

Kevin
sfboy
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby Annika » Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:35 am

Paper Aeroplane is so different from what she usually sings... It took me a while to get used to and it was probably the last song on that album that got to me...
Kasey usually sings from her own perspective, not someone else's (unlike Patty who does that all the time...).
Annika
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby Arlene » Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:05 am

FYI. Some of this repeats what's been posted above...

Australian singer-songwriter Kasey Chambers will release her fourth album, Carnival, in the U.S. on Sept. 12 on Warner Bros. Although she wrote all of the songs, the album displays a stronger rock influence. Guests include You Am I's Tim Rogers and Powderfinger's Bernard Fanning. Chambers also has a limited tour schedule planned in the U.S., including the Austin City Limits Music Festival in Austin, Texas, on Sept. 17, in addition to shows in Chicago, New York City and Los Angeles.
"You've got to sing like you don't need the money, love like you'll never get hurt. You've got to dance like no one is watching. It's gotta come from the heart, if you want it to work."
~Susannah Clark

"Ginger Rogers did everything that Fred Astaire did. She just did it backwards and in high heels." ~Molly Ivins

"If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes, only sooner."
~Tallulah Bankhead

Arlene
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Annika » Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:41 am

This was found somewhere by a member of the Kasey Chambers forum.. it's very interesting reading...

KASEY CHAMBERS CARNIVAL
The unwritten code of the singer-songwriter is you must follow three rules: 1) You must look off pensively into the distance on your album covers; 2) You must write sensitive songs about yourself; 3) You must play them on acoustic guitar.

Kasey Chambers has gleefully broken all three rules on her fourth album, Carnival. Not only does she look directly into the camera on the album’s cover, she admits that not every song is written about her own experience, and most shocking, there’s not an acoustic guitar to be heard.

Yes this is the same critically acclaimed, award-winning singer-songwriter who built a stellar reputation as the Australian queen of alt-country on three bittersweetly personal albums: 1999’s The Captain, 2001’s Barricades and Brickwalls, and 2004’s Wayward Angel. Chambers, recently married and the mother of a young son, is just in a different state of mind, one that has allowed her to grow and evolve, and step outside the musical borders that she felt defined who she was as an artist.

“I just had to admit that I'm not that little girl looking lost on the cover of my albums anymore,” says Chambers, who turned 30 in June. “I’m incredibly content with my life, and becoming less and less like that girl all the time. So I thought maybe this record could be different. Maybe it doesn't have to be about following the rules. Musically, I’ve always tended to stay within certain boundaries, because that’s all I knew. This time I let myself step outside the lines. Hopefully, for the fans, it’s not about what instruments are played, but more about my voice connected with the songs that matters.”

Carnival (so named because Chambers felt like she was in the middle of a whirling, colorful Mardi Gras while it was being recorded) explores grungy, full-on rock and roll (“I Got You Now,” a duet with You Am I frontman Tim Rogers), upbeat pop (the deliriously happy love song “Sign on the Door”), blues-rock (the feline, groovy “Light Up a Candle”), and even club-friendly dance pop (the skittering, atmospheric “Surrender”).

The changes come partially at the urging of her brother and long-time producer Nash Chambers, who suggested two new players join the studio band (alongside longtime bassist Jeff McCormack and guitarist Mark Punch): Midnight Oil’s Jim Moginie on electric guitar and keyboards, and The John Butler Trio’s Michael Barker on drums. Both musicians brought a fresh perspective to the recording process, with Moginie supplying alternate instrumentation where an acoustic guitar would have sufficed in the past, and Barker busting out the slinkiest rhythms ever heard on a Kasey Chambers record. For the singer — who grew up on a strict diet of Hank Williams and Johnny Cash as a child growing up in the Australian outback, roaming the continent’s vast Nullarbor Plain with her mother, brother, and guitar player father, Bill — breaking free from her comfort zone led to new inspiration.

“I would get up really early, before everyone else went to the studio, and write a couple of songs and bring them in and we’d record them that day,” Chambers says. “I’d never done anything like that before.” Those tracks include the album’s first single “Nothing At All,” a playful, nonsensical countdown about a break-up, but significantly, not one of her break-ups.
In fact, several songs — including the regretful “Colour of a Carnival,” “Hard Road,” a resolute, weary duet with Powderfinger singer Bernard Fanning, and the brokenhearted ballad “Dangerous” — “are totally about putting myself in someone else’s position as a writer,” she says. “They’re inspired by what I know about how it feels to end a relationship, but I felt free to explore other voices and personalities than I have in the past.”

What’s uncanny about Carnival, is that despite its new path musically and emotionally, the album is still quintessentially Kasey. The warm crackle of her girlish voice and the unpretentious, homespun quality to her songwriting are still present, anchoring the singer’s past to her future.

“You know when I used to listen to music, if I didn’t hear any influence of Hank Williams, I wasn’t interested,” she says. “I was so closed-minded. This time, I wanted to be really open about where my record could go. And as much as it sounds different from the other albums, I don’t think there’s one song that doesn’t sound like me. I wrote them. I’m not trying to be somewhere I don’t belong. It’s just a step, a progression in making records for me, but it still sounds like Kasey Chambers.”

Kasey Chambers – Carnival – released August 19
Annika
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby Annika » Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:58 am

Bad news for those of you who were going to see Kasey in the US: her four gigs in the US have been cancelled.... :( No reason has been announced on her website but it's probably because of the terrorist threat.

But.. if you are interested you can listen to four of the songs from her new album Carnival (out Aug 19th) on this website: Adelaide now...
Annika
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby Redlucifer » Tue Aug 22, 2006 1:11 am

I picked up Kasey's new album today. From what I've heard of it so far, it's pretty easy to listen to. I'd be interested to hear the opinions of other fans.

Cheers,
Jen
Redlucifer
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby Annika » Tue Aug 22, 2006 3:44 am

I've ordered it from HMV Australia so hopefully it will get here in a week or two... I've bought Colour of a Carnival as a download to listen to while I wait for the full album and I love that song! I've also got the Nothing at All single.
From what I've heard in the previews of the songs it's quite different from what she usually sings.. no country influences at all.. I'm a little bit worried (even though I'm a huge fan of hers) that I wont like this album as much as the others.. I guess I'll have to wait and see.
Annika
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby keith from ny » Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:14 pm

Oh my gawd, Carnival has arrived and it kicks ass! Image

It really isn't much like her first three more country-flavored albums, but on first listen I have no complaints whatsoever (except that she canceled her U.S. tour dates).
I don't know nothing except change will come
keith from ny
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Annika » Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:41 pm

I'm glad you like it.. I love some of the songs on there too but there are a few I could have done without (Surrender!!!).

Hard Road is amazing and that song is up there with the best she's ever done. I also like Colour of a Carnival, Dangerous, You Make Me Sing..
Annika
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

PreviousNext

Return to Music. (Other than Patty!)