Kasey Chambers

Yes, there's a whole world of music out there besides Patty.

Moderator: gillian

Postby Arlene » Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:12 am

marybeth wrote:I know, Annika, don'T people who live in NYC SUCK?

Seems a bit harsh. :wink: :D
"You've got to sing like you don't need the money, love like you'll never get hurt. You've got to dance like no one is watching. It's gotta come from the heart, if you want it to work."
~Susannah Clark

"Ginger Rogers did everything that Fred Astaire did. She just did it backwards and in high heels." ~Molly Ivins

"If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes, only sooner."
~Tallulah Bankhead

Arlene
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Annika » Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:57 am

Added Kasey/Shane date of Saturday, September 13, at the Cactus Cafe in the Student Union building of the University of Texas in Austin.
Information at http://www.utexas.edu/txunion/ae/cactus/current.php?section=ae
Annika
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby marybeth » Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:45 am

aw the Cactus Cafe! I played the open mic there. Dang, I wish I could see that.
http://www.marybethdamico.com

Some people don't care if they live or they die
Some people want to know what it feels like to fly

Americana: "a nebulous category of misfits and acquired tastes, many of whom seem to have worn cowboy hats at one time or another" LA Times article
marybeth
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby PCStuff » Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:35 am

PCStuff
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby keith from ny » Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:55 am

Kasey & Shane's show in NYC Tuesday night was awesome! :D Just the two of them + Dad on mostly acoustic instruments with no bass or drums. They did about half the songs from Rattlin' Bones and quite a few of Kasey's classics, as well as a couple of selections from Shane's forthcoming solo album. There was also lots of entertaining patter in between.

Here's a little downloadable gift from one of those NY people who suck: ;)

http://kbergend.tripod.com/kc2008-09-16nyc.zip

You U.S. fans be sure to get their album, it was released here yesterday and it's really excellent!
I don't know nothing except change will come
keith from ny
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Annika » Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:04 am

keith from ny wrote:

I'm downloading it right now.... please let it be what I hope it is!!! :-)
Annika
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby Arlene » Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:08 am

keith from ny wrote:Kasey & Shane's show in NYC Tuesday night was awesome! :D

Damn straight!!!
"You've got to sing like you don't need the money, love like you'll never get hurt. You've got to dance like no one is watching. It's gotta come from the heart, if you want it to work."
~Susannah Clark

"Ginger Rogers did everything that Fred Astaire did. She just did it backwards and in high heels." ~Molly Ivins

~Tallulah Bankhead

Arlene
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Turk » Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:15 am

Saw Kasey and Shane Nicholson (sp?) on Tuesday night. It was very, very good.
Turk
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Annika » Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:27 am

Annika wrote:
keith from ny wrote:

I'm downloading it right now.... please let it be what I hope it is!!! :-)

Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!!! I LOVE YOU!! :D
Annika
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby keith from ny » Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:28 am

Turk wrote:Saw Kasey and Shane Nicholson (sp?) on Tuesday night. It was very, very good.

Yeah, they had just come from the Conan taping when they entered the venue before the show. Anybody get a recording?
keith from ny
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Annika » Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:55 am

keith from ny wrote:
Turk wrote:Saw Kasey and Shane Nicholson (sp?) on Tuesday night. It was very, very good.

Yeah, they had just come from the Conan taping when they entered the venue before the show. Anybody get a recording?

You can watch Conan episodes on the NBC website (at least if you're in the US...)
Annika
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby Arlene » Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:20 pm

FYI. The NY Times review of the concert Keith and I saw (and others may get the chance to hear :wink: )

Kasey Chambers and Shane Nicholson: A Visit With That Nice Couple Next Door

By NATE CHINEN
Published: September 17, 2008

“This is kind of what it’s like at home for us,” Kasey Chambers said at the Highline Ballroom on Tuesday night. She was onstage with her husband, Shane Nicholson, and her father, Bill Chambers, all of them seated with stringed instruments. The air of casual intimacy threw some weight behind her claim, even if home was a rather distant proposition. Ms. Chambers, who hails from Australia, had designs on a warm familiarity.

She and Mr. Nicholson just released a crisply charming album, “Rattlin’ Bones” (Essence/Sugar Hill), that draws from the wellspring of American bluegrass and folk music. Produced by Mr. Nicholson and Nash Chambers, Ms. Chambers’s older brother, it’s an unplugged alt-country record lightly sweetened by pop inclinations. The show struck a similar balance: it felt leisurely, even informal, but also supremely polished.

That may be the fallback mode for Ms. Chambers, who began her career as a member of the Dead Ringer Band, led by her parents. Her solo debut album, “The Captain,” was released in Australia a little over a decade ago, to considerable acclaim. She performed that album’s title track alone, the better to sharpen its portrait of vulnerability. Then in another title track, from her second album, “Barricades & Brickwalls,” she reached for the opposite extreme. “I’ll be damned if you’re not my man/ Before the sun goes down,” she vowed convincingly at the end of each verse, playing up the rustic stridency in her voice.

Mr. Nicholson, mainly playing acoustic guitar and a stomp box, complemented Ms. Chambers ideally. Their vocal blend was soulful, with his warmer tone softening hers. On “Wildflower,” which they wrote together, they sang in languorous turns, harmonizing only during the chorus. “One More Year,” a stirring ballad by Mr. Nicholson, illuminated their bond even more clearly, despite lyrics of wary romantic resignation. Their banter between songs was endearingly playful and suspiciously well honed.

Justin Townes Earle, who opened the show, brought a genial, fast-talking charisma to his performance, which he structured as a one-man country-folk revue. Beginning with the jauntily paced title track of his new album, “Hard Living” (Bloodshot), he went on to pay tribute to some influences: Woody Guthrie, Lightnin’ Hopkins, Doc Watson. (There was no need to mention his father, Steve Earle, or his namesake, Townes Van Zandt.)

Lanky and hyperactive, Mr. Earle was the picture of extroversion, though his wisecracks and confessions felt no more spontaneous than those of the show’s headliners. He managed one poignant moment with “Yuma,” a lilting ballad about a desperate act. It came with a homespun disclaimer: This was one of those songs that freaked out his mom.

Kasey Chambers and Shane Nicholson perform on Thursday at Park West in Chicago; kaseyandshane.com.

See http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/18/arts/ ... sey&st=cse
~Susannah Clark

~Tallulah Bankhead

Arlene
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby keith from ny » Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:15 am

Annika wrote:
keith from ny wrote:

You can watch Conan episodes on the NBC website (at least if you're in the US...)

Thanks, Annika!
keith from ny
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Annika » Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:07 am

keith from ny wrote:
Annika wrote:
keith from ny wrote:

Thanks, Annika!

Or watch it on Youtube here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnrtCZ84q5E
Annika
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby Annika » Sun Sep 21, 2008 1:45 pm

Annika wrote:
keith from ny wrote:
Annika wrote:
keith from ny wrote:

Thanks, Annika!

Or watch it on Youtube here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnrtCZ84q5E
... you could but now it's gone... :-(
Annika
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

PreviousNext

Return to Music. (Other than Patty!)