Regina Spektor??

Yes, there's a whole world of music out there besides Patty.

Moderator: gillian

Regina Spektor??

Postby TontoBronto » Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:21 am

Any fans?? I've seen her on TV and really liked her, but wondered if her quirky style would wear thin over an entire CD or with repeated listening??

http://www.reginaspektor.com/
Us video
Her CD is titled "Soviet Kitsch"----sometimes a little bit of kitsch goes a long way.
TontoBronto
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby TontoBronto » Thu Aug 11, 2005 8:49 pm

Apparently, Regina will be on Carson Daly tonight. Definitely worth checking out (I'm just not sure about buying a whole CD of kitsch).
TontoBronto
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Little_Kites » Fri Aug 12, 2005 7:09 am

Yes I like Regina Spektor! In fact awhile ago I posted links to various Regina places on the web in the artist links for Patty fans (actually I posted links for other artists too not just Regina Spektor in case anyones interested). Are you aware she had two previous albums out 11:11 and Songs...they use to sell them at cdbaby but I'm not sure if they do anymore. She was also on late night with Conan O'Brien awhile back.

There is also this http://www.angelfire.com/folk/gretalizabeth/ Regina Spektor downloads (live shows and demos).

Also on http://www.reginaspektor.com I think you can watch videos (Us) and I think there might be a myspace for Regina Spektor too??
Little_Kites
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby TontoBronto » Fri Aug 12, 2005 7:25 am

Little_Kites wrote:.... In fact awhile ago I posted links to various Regina places on the web in the artist links for Patty fans
.......) and I think there might be a myspace for Regina Spektor too??

Yes, your links were the reason for my first post!! I saw the Conan performance of "Us" and last night's Carson Daly was a re-run of "The Flowers". Both very interesting!

But sometimes seeing one eye-catching tune on TV doesn't translate into liking an entire CD over and over. I bought the t.A.t.U CD after their incredible TV performance, but quickly tired of the CD and sold it.
Maybe I'll just have to take a chance with Regina Spektor.
Last edited by TontoBronto on Mon Aug 15, 2005 5:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
TontoBronto
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Little_Kites » Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:18 am

Tonto Yoder wrote:
Little_Kites wrote:.... In fact awhile ago I posted links to various Regina places on the web in the artist links for Patty fans
.......) and I think there might be a myspace for Regina Spektor too??

Yes, your links were the reason for my first post!! I saw the Conan performance of "Us" and last night's Carson Daly was a re-run of "These Flowers". Both very interesting!

But sometimes seeing one eye-catching tune on TV doesn't translate into liking an entire CD over and over. I bought the t.A.t.U CD after their incredible TV performance, but quickly tired of the CD and sold it.
Maybe I'll just have to take a chance with Regina Spektor.

Wow thats pretty awesome my links (well at least a little) led you check out Regina Spektor...fun stuff :wink:. yay for infusing the world with good music heh :lol:

I've had to sell/give away cds because I lost interest after awhile too. However There are enough cheap cd stores on the web were you can get cds (although some are used dunno if you prefer new/used) fairly cheap. Although this is fairly new so...I'm not sure if you can get it any cheaper.

Another idea is to either a) go to cdbaby and listen to clips of the songs and see if you like enough of them to buy it. Or b) depending on how you feel about downloading music, download some songs from the regina download page and see if you like it.

Us is one of my favorite Regina songs the videos pretty fun too. But "Love affair" (I think thats the name) is my first favorite heh. I think its on one of the other two older albums.

As far as t.a.t.u I wouldn't say I'm a huge fan...but from what I've heard from them I think their best stuff is their Russian stuff...so if you haven't heard that and you want to give them another musical shot you could try listening to their Russian songs...they are a bit better in my opinion.
Little_Kites
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby TontoBronto » Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:28 am

Regina's TV performances reminded me a LOT of Tori Amos when she was new---some vocal idiosyncracies that one might LOVE or hate, that odd way Tori squirmed on the piano bench and nearly over-the-top facial expressions while singing.

Regina's video of "Us" reminds me of a early Tori video too (can't remember the song, but it's the one where she climbs in & out of the box---"Silent All These Years"???)
TontoBronto
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby MWM » Mon Aug 15, 2005 2:33 am

If you like what you see on TV, you'll probably like the CD as well. I just got Soviet Kitsch and I have very quickly become obsessed. There is not a single song on this album that I don't absolutely love. It's amazing. Weird, but amazing. You can tell the weird mannerisms and tempo changes are kinda done in a tongue-in-cheek sort of way. She's brilliant. Ugh. I love her.

~Matt
The meteorite is the source of the light
And the meteor's just what we see
And the meteoroid is a stone that's devoid
Of the fire that propelled it to thee
And the meteorite's just what causes the light
And the meteor's how it's perceived
And the meteoroid's a bone thrown from the void
That lies quiet in offering to thee
MWM
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby Arlene » Wed May 10, 2006 2:56 pm

G and TY, I came across this and thought of the two of you--
http://minnesota.publicradio.org/displa ... a_spektor/
"You've got to sing like you don't need the money, love like you'll never get hurt. You've got to dance like no one is watching. It's gotta come from the heart, if you want it to work."
~Susannah Clark

"Ginger Rogers did everything that Fred Astaire did. She just did it backwards and in high heels." ~Molly Ivins

"If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes, only sooner."
~Tallulah Bankhead

Arlene
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby gillian » Wed May 10, 2006 3:57 pm

Arlene wrote:G and TY, I came across this and thought of the two of you--
http://minnesota.publicradio.org/displa ... a_spektor/

Thanks Arlene. I actually listened to this when it aired originally, but I think I got a phone call in the middle. It'll be nice to be able to listen again!
gillian
Founder
Founder

Postby RightOverThisMess » Wed Jun 21, 2006 7:54 pm

I just bought Begin To Hope today and I seem to only like her ballads... (I can't stop listening to Samson)

That's after only a couple listens, so maybe my opinion will change after more spins.
Nobody helps a liar.
...and you don't know what I've done.
RightOverThisMess
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby gillian » Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:03 pm

Ooh.. I hope so. I am IN LOVE with this album. SOOOO good!!

(And yes, Samson is one of the best songs ever)
gillian
Founder
Founder

Postby this_mess » Sat Jun 24, 2006 10:08 pm

I have Soviet Kitsch and love it. My favorites are "Us", "Somedays", "Carbon Monoxide", and the perfect "Chemo Limo".
I'd like to get away from earth awhile
And then come back to it and begin over.

--Robert Frost
this_mess
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby Arlene » Sun Jul 02, 2006 12:46 pm

For an NPR piece on her and to hear several songs performed live: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... Id=5518985
"You've got to sing like you don't need the money, love like you'll never get hurt. You've got to dance like no one is watching. It's gotta come from the heart, if you want it to work."
~Susannah Clark

"Ginger Rogers did everything that Fred Astaire did. She just did it backwards and in high heels." ~Molly Ivins

"If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes, only sooner."
~Tallulah Bankhead

Arlene
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Fool On Fire » Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:33 am

I've been meaning to post and keep forgetting cuz this thread sorta seemed to get lost. Resurrection alert.

How does everyone else think Begin to Hope stacks up against Soviet Kitsch? I like BtH much better. Like, MUCH better. I've pretty much totally left SK behind because of how much I enjoy the new one. The production is so exquisite. What came across as weird on the first album is showcased much better...like the vocal accents on "Apres Moi." It's just too cool.

I really liked seeing her live/meeting her too. She was much shyer than I expected...I thought someone with her obvious quirkiness and humor would be a little more extroverted. But she was a fun performer. It was hilarious to watch her whacking the piano bench with a stick during "Poor Little Rich Boy." lmao.

~Elise
I've become the beggar now, and you've become the saint somehow
twist the words and place the blame, and tell me now, aren't we the same?

-- Amy Ray

born under a bad sign, been down since I began to crawl
if it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have no luck at all

-- Albert King

the saints and all the martyrs look down on dying converts
"what makes the water holy," she said, "is that it's the closest thing to rain..."

-- Josh Ritter

...the blues is the roots...everything else is the fruits...
Fool On Fire
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby marybeth » Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:32 am

I just ordered Soviet Kitsch and Begin to Hope with an Amazon certificate I got for Christmas! :-)
http://www.marybethdamico.com

Some people don't care if they live or they die
Some people want to know what it feels like to fly

Americana: "a nebulous category of misfits and acquired tastes, many of whom seem to have worn cowboy hats at one time or another" LA Times article
marybeth
Top of the World
Top of the World

Next

Return to Music. (Other than Patty!)