Hip Hop? C'mon.. admit it!

Yes, there's a whole world of music out there besides Patty.

Moderator: gillian

Hip Hop? C'mon.. admit it!

Postby gillian » Sat Jan 29, 2005 3:05 pm

I can't be the only one who likes hip hop on occasion. Here are a few songs that I really like:

Will Smith - Gettin' Jiggy With It
Outkast - Mrs. Jackson
Eminem - Drug Ballad
City High - What Would You Do
Everlast - What It's Like
Lauryn Hill - Everything Is Everything
Lil Romeo - My Baby
Mya f. Busta Rymes - Ghetto Superstar

I hope there's not a mass exodus from PattyForum after this post... Elise, I know at least you'll back me up, right?
gillian
Founder
Founder

Postby deaeterna » Sat Jan 29, 2005 3:38 pm

The only Hip-Hop album I own is the Miseducation of Lauren Hill, and I love all of it.

T.
deaeterna
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby Kid Nashville » Sat Jan 29, 2005 3:52 pm

Straight Outta Cashville-Young Buck
"I don't care if they're Greek columns, or second-hand Steinways, but what's between them... passport to heaven."- Lt. Col. Frank Slade Scent Of A Woman
Kid Nashville
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby Fool On Fire » Sat Jan 29, 2005 4:03 pm

I also listen to some hip-hop. Lauryn Hill, Erykah Badu, Maya Azucena, the Black-Eyed Peas, Les Nubians, Approach, Thought Breakers, and Outkast are all in my CD player on occasion. The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill is an absolutely OUTSTANDING album. She is amazing. I would recommend it to anyone - even people who don't like hip-hop. It's just a shattering piece of artistry. Erykah Badu's album Mama's Gun is also wonderful...anything pre-Elephunk is a good bet from the Black-Eyed Peas, and shoot, why not invest in Elephunk as well - the addition of Fergie to the group results in some really fascinating vocals.

Hip-hop is just like any other genre of music in that there is some really crappy stuff, and some really good stuff...it just depends on how hard you're willing to look.

keepin' it real, 8)
~Elise
I've become the beggar now, and you've become the saint somehow
twist the words and place the blame, and tell me now, aren't we the same?

-- Amy Ray

born under a bad sign, been down since I began to crawl
if it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have no luck at all

-- Albert King

the saints and all the martyrs look down on dying converts
"what makes the water holy," she said, "is that it's the closest thing to rain..."

-- Josh Ritter

...the blues is the roots...everything else is the fruits...
Fool On Fire
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby altCountryGuy » Sat Jan 29, 2005 7:02 pm

Kid Nashville wrote:Straight Outta Cashville-Young Buck

Kid Nashville, representin' da hometown, fo real, fo real.

Everybody needs a little forgiveness.

http://www.last.fm/user/altCountryGuy/
altCountryGuy
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby StevieFan » Sat Jan 29, 2005 8:49 pm

"Mama's Gun" - Erykah Badu is my favorite. She's from the same city as me. I even have a promo poster of Mama's Gun on my wall.

I also like: Outkast (ever since their first album), Lauryn Hill, Missy Elliott, Aaliyah, TLC, Above the Law, Neneh Cherry (very much), Mary J. Blige, A Tribe Called Quest (esp. "The Low End Theory"), Nappy Roots, Macy Gray (esp. her first album), Jesse Johnson's Revue, Angie Stone (esp. "Black Diamond"), and Prince (big fan) to name a few.
*YOUR AD HERE*
Call or email for rates.
StevieFan
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby marybeth » Sun Jan 30, 2005 11:08 am

Um, hip hop, hip hop...Its something my kids listen to...I know I like Black Eyed Peas sometimes, and I like Alicia Keys and Josh Stone but I'm not sure if they are R&B or hip hop ?
http://www.marybethdamico.com

Some people don't care if they live or they die
Some people want to know what it feels like to fly

Americana: "a nebulous category of misfits and acquired tastes, many of whom seem to have worn cowboy hats at one time or another" LA Times article
marybeth
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Turk » Sun Jan 30, 2005 11:17 am

MaryBeth--
I feel the way you do. I don't know if what I like is considered your basic "hippity hoppity" or whatever the young 'uns call it. Elise reminded of En Vogue. A song or 2 of theirs might be considered "hop skotch". If that's the case, then I'm in. I like them.
Turk
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Fool On Fire » Sun Jan 30, 2005 11:37 am

I tend to lump my hip-hop and R&B together, because most of what I listen to has such strong influence from both. That's just the way I refer to it; it's not necessarily right, however, because there is a distinction. For example, while I consider Eric Clapton and BB King to be R&B, I *don't* consider them to be hip-hop. And while I consider Outkast to be hip-hop, I don't consider them to be R&B.

I guess En Vogue would be more R&B, so Turk, you're right to call me out on that,
~Elise

-- Amy Ray

-- Albert King

"what makes the water holy," she said, "is that it's the closest thing to rain..."

-- Josh Ritter

Fool On Fire
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Turk » Sun Jan 30, 2005 11:49 am

I guess En Vogue would be more R&B, so Turk, you're right to call me out on that

Damn! Just when I thought I was getting all chiggy with it....burst a dream, will ya?
I just can't have nothing!
Turk
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Our Kid » Sun Jan 30, 2005 1:59 pm

I like some hip hop. Mostly the older stuff, but some of today's jams as well. Like all music, it has its good and its bad.

Here is an interesting article that appeared in the Village Voice earlier this month regarding hip hop. I think anyone who claims to like the genre should take the time to read it...

http://villagevoice.com/news/0501,tate,59766,2.html

When I worked at the brewery, I had a server (she was white but dating a black guy which of course automatically deputized her in the Race Police) call me a racist because I was chatting with someone at the bar about today's hip hop lyrics being so gender-condescending (if not outright misogynistic). I told her that as soon as I was allowed to call her a whore all the time and only talk about her tits and ass, I would accept her calling me a racist.

And no, I don't think that female hip hop artists singing like whores (or about being whores) is a sign of sexual liberation. No, I am not a prude. No, I am not "practicing" any religion these days. I just think all this bootyslap, bango deluxe lyricism is a joke. If I talked like that in conversation, most women would want to remove my lungs with a spoon. Please refer to the above article from the Village Voice (which ain't exactly a conservative outlet).

Now, Public Enemy? That's some GOOD shit. KRS One? GOOD SHIT. Young MC? GOOD SHIT. Run DMC? GOOD SHIT.

Also, if you like hip hop, find this song: "Your Revolution" by DJ Vadim with Sarah Jones. It is on an album called "INcredible Sound of Giles Peterson". If you can't find it, PM me and I will send you the MP3. It is my fave hip hop song EVER, besides (of course) "The Message" by Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five and "Burn Hollywood Burn" by Public Enemy.
Our Kid
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby Kid Nashville » Sun Jan 30, 2005 2:50 pm

I'm sorry, but the Hip Hop culture is a cancer on society. It perpetuates every negative black stereotype. Misogyny, violence, ignorance, anti social behavior, etc. Hip Hop artists are clownish 2 dimensional characters. The genre is as satirical as the minstrel acts of yore. Thomas Dartmouth "Daddy" Rice been replaced by Eminem. Is it funny? Perhaps. Unfortunately, a great many people subscribe to the lifestyle. The jails are busting at the seams w/ them.

"Weel about and turn about and do jus' so,
Eb'ry time I weel about, I jump Jim Crow."
Last edited by Kid Nashville on Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I don't care if they're Greek columns, or second-hand Steinways, but what's between them... passport to heaven."- Lt. Col. Frank Slade Scent Of A Woman
Kid Nashville
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby Fool On Fire » Sun Jan 30, 2005 4:33 pm

There are hip-hop artists out there who are bucking the trend, just like there are folk artists, country artists, blues artists, rock artists, etc etc etc who are bucking the trend. You don't have to like hip-hop, but don't assert that every hip-hop artist is a caricature. That's a silly argument. I don't think, for example, that Lauryn Hill is a caricature of blackness - she is a strong, articulate, intelligent woman with a defined message to her music. Nor do I think that will.i.am (lead creator of Black-Eyed Peas) is a caricature of blackness and black culture. In fact, these are two examples of black people in hip-hop music who are using great creativity, innovation, and talent to their advantage, artistry, and success. Good for them. Yes, there is a lot of crappy hip-hop out there...but just like with any other genre, there is good stuff too. You have to be willing to look for it to find it, just like with any kind of popular music.

I am pointing out here that you are looking at examples that are not truly representative of the genre as a whole. Sort of like how Shania Twain is not representative of all women in country music...and Britney Spears is not an accurate measure of the talent of songwriters these days.

Despite the fact that you don't like it and have some kind of war to wage against the genre without considering the good music that has come out of it, there are good things about hip-hop, and good artists who sing hip-hop.

I feel the weight of the world on my shoulder
As I'm gettin older people gets colder
Most of us only care about money makin
Selfishness got us followin our wrong direction
Wrong information always shown by the media
Negative images is the main criteria
Infecting the young minds faster than bacteria
Kids wanna act like what they see in the cinema
Whatever happened to the values of humanity
Whatever happened to the fairness in equality
Instead of spreading love we spreading animosity
Lack of understanding, leading lives away from unity
That's the reason why sometimes I'm feelin under
That's the reason why sometimes I'm feelin down
There's no wonder why sometimes I'm feelin under
Gotta keep my faith alive till love is found

-- The Black-Eyed Peas

Peace out,
~Elise

-- Amy Ray

-- Albert King

-- Josh Ritter

Fool On Fire
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Kid Nashville » Sun Jan 30, 2005 9:26 pm

Sorry Fool On Fire...but this argument is laughable. For every Lauryn Hill (a self confessed rascist) or Black Eyed Peas, There are a half million gangstas trying to make a name for themselves by out "gangsta-ering" the next. I know your a college student and you and your friends think it's novel, and it's "crunk", and you like to do the "raise the roof" gesture. But you are foolish if you think that this is a positive movement.
Kid Nashville
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby gillian » Sun Jan 30, 2005 10:35 pm

Kid Nashville wrote:I know your a college student and you and your friends think it's novel, and it's "crunk", and you like to do the "raise the roof" gesture.

Umm, I'm thinking not.

I think there are two separate points here... the hip-hop/gangsta rap culture, and the actual music. KN, it seems like you won't even admit that there could be ANY good music in the hip-hop genre just because you don't like the culture. I really don't think the argument is laughable... there ARE Lauryn Hills and Black Eyed Peas out there, even if they're a very minor percent of the population.
gillian
Founder
Founder

Next

Return to Music. (Other than Patty!)