Emmylou Harris

Yes, there's a whole world of music out there besides Patty.

Moderator: gillian

Emmylou Harris

Postby Turk » Sun Jan 30, 2005 1:00 pm

Emmylou Harris is my favorite female singer of all time. She can take any song and interpret it's meaning like no one else. Oh yeah, she composes, too. She started out strong and has only gotten better with age. Long live Emmylou Harris....

This site is a great resource for Emmy-related info: www.emmylou.net
Turk
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Arlene » Sun Jan 30, 2005 1:05 pm

Who? Never heard of her :D
"You've got to sing like you don't need the money, love like you'll never get hurt. You've got to dance like no one is watching. It's gotta come from the heart, if you want it to work."
~Susannah Clark

"Ginger Rogers did everything that Fred Astaire did. She just did it backwards and in high heels." ~Molly Ivins

"If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes, only sooner."
~Tallulah Bankhead

Arlene
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Mis » Wed Feb 02, 2005 4:21 pm

Arlene wrote:Who? Never heard of her :D

LOL Arlene.

Hey, I was meaning to ask you (and anyone else who would like to respond) about the essential Emmylou. I ashamedly am going to admit here that I really am pretty unfamiliar with her vast body of work. I have a decent amount of songs on mixes that people have given me, but no albums. What are the essentials? Where should I start? Thanks!

~M
Liars
are lying
Airplanes
are flying
Love isn't here
Love isn't here
But it's somewhere...
Mis
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby StevieFan » Wed Feb 02, 2005 4:43 pm

You didn't ask me, but I want to suggest "Wrecking Ball". Arlene can verify if that's a good suggestion or not.
*YOUR AD HERE*
Call or email for rates.
StevieFan
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby Arlene » Wed Feb 02, 2005 4:56 pm

Melissa wrote:Arlene. I was meaning to ask you. What are the essentials? Where should I start?

Weeeelllll.... This is REALLY hard. She has over 30 albums and in my completely biased opinion, at least a dozen of them are essential. What's more, she has recorded in a number of different styles so it's hard to know what to say unless I have a better sense of your taste. Some thoughts:

Wrecking Ball(1995) - This is an amazing album, (produced by Daniel Lanois), extremely influential on other artists, and for historical purposes alone...

Roses In The Snow (1980)- My personal favorite, and the album that a 16 year old Patty Griffin listened to repeatedly while teaching herself to play and sing Wayfaring Stranger. This is a pure bluegrass album and if that's not your cup of tea...

Elite Hotel(1976)- This is a relatively early record in her solo career (1976) and fans on her web site have repeatedly voted it their favorite in several different polls. It may be a little bit too country for some but it's country rock at its best.

Angel Band(1987)- This is Emmy singing gospel/bluegrass and she's been quoted as saying she thinks it's her finest vocal performance. I agree.

Red Dirt Girl (2000)- Not previously known primarily as a songwriter, she wrote all the songs on this album except a little something called One Big Love by someone whose name I can't recall :) At times I've listed this as my favorite Emmylou album.

Spyboy (1997) This is a live album in which she reworked a number of her favorite earlier songs and added The Maker, a great song by Daniel Lanois. I might start with this one as an introduction.

Well. This is a start, and I haven't even mentioned The Ballad of Sally Rose (1985), Turk's favorite. (She wrote all the songs, which were all inspired by her relationship with Gram Parsons.)...or Pieces of the Sky (with Boulder to Birmingham) .... or Luxury Liner (with Pancho and Lefty... that track alone...) or Quarter Moon In a Ten Cent Town (on all fans' list of her essential albums) or...or...or
Last edited by Arlene on Thu Feb 03, 2005 11:57 am, edited 4 times in total.
"You've got to sing like you don't need the money, love like you'll never get hurt. You've got to dance like no one is watching. It's gotta come from the heart, if you want it to work."
~Susannah Clark

"Ginger Rogers did everything that Fred Astaire did. She just did it backwards and in high heels." ~Molly Ivins

~Tallulah Bankhead

Arlene
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby deaeterna » Wed Feb 02, 2005 4:58 pm

IMHO....

Red Dirt Girl
Quarter Moon
Luxury Liner
Sally Rose
SIG

Tracy
deaeterna
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby Turk » Wed Feb 02, 2005 5:02 pm

Arlene wrote: (Turk can vouch for me here.)

Dam skraight.
Turk
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Arlene » Thu Feb 03, 2005 5:59 pm

Melissa- I just wanted to add that any list of "essential" Emmylou Harris would include some of her duet work and harmony vocals.

Elvis Costello has been quoted as saying that she's "the world's greatest living harmony singer" and that "her duets with Gram Parsons are the greatest duets in the history of recorded music."

Gram Parsons put out two solo albums, GP and Grievous Angel, and both are available on one combined CD which contains Gram and Emmylou dueting on "Love Hurts," "We'll Sweep Out the Ashes In the Morning," "Hearts on Fire," and "In My Hour of Darkness," among others. I can't recommend this album strongly enough.

Also, Emmylou appears as a harmony vocalist on at least three-quarters of the songs on Bob Dylan's album "Desire" and Willie Nelson's album "Teatro". I'd add both of these to my list of essential Emmylou CDs. In addition, along with Linda Ronstadt and Dolly Parton, she is, of course, one-third of The Trio. They've put out two albums-- both are great but I prefer the first.

More than you wanted to know???
~Susannah Clark

~Tallulah Bankhead

Arlene
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby karla » Thu Feb 03, 2005 10:18 pm

I have a three-CD box set which is a really nice chronological review of her career. I also have a number of later releases. One of my favorites is her live album, I think called "At the Ryman." Another is "Duets." I agree that she's at her best singing harmony. "Trio" has some particularly nice examples of that.
karla
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby libraryliz » Fri Feb 04, 2005 10:48 am

I am anxiously waiting for my copy of Red Dirt Girl. I ordered it a few days ago. It will be my first Emmylou cd - I'm excited!
libraryliz
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby Mis » Fri Feb 04, 2005 11:08 am

Wow...thanks for all of the info, everyone! I appreciate it. I will have to make a little list and just sort of start collecting, methinks. I'll kind of have to think about what I want to hear first...Wrecking Ball and Red Dirt Girl have been on my list for quite some time, so when my tax return gets here those will be the first purchases, I believe. I actually have a copy of the first Trio album on tape somewhere (I was a HUGE Linda Ronstadt fan when I was a kid...my first favorite album was her Greatest Hits Vol. 2 - on eight track!)...I need to dig that out.

Arlene...got your PM...let me give it some thought and I'll get back to you.

Thanks again guys!

~M
Liars
are lying
Airplanes
are flying
Love isn't here
Love isn't here
But it's somewhere...
Mis
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby marybeth » Fri Feb 04, 2005 3:40 pm

I have to admit Arlene....I started discovering Emmy Lou Harris with Wrecking Ball, and although I appreciate the artistry of the songs she's chosen on this CD, I find that her "voice-cracking" technique just gets on my nerves a bit! Is that how she always sings? I do have her singing on Gram Parsons Grievous Angel and find I like the way her voice sounds better on those songs. I always wondered whether I should get Roses in the Snow.
http://www.marybethdamico.com

Some people don't care if they live or they die
Some people want to know what it feels like to fly

Americana: "a nebulous category of misfits and acquired tastes, many of whom seem to have worn cowboy hats at one time or another" LA Times article
marybeth
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Arlene » Fri Feb 04, 2005 3:51 pm

marybeth wrote:I have to admit Arlene....I find that her "voice-cracking" technique (on Wrecking Ball) just gets on my nerves a bit! ... I always wondered whether I should get Roses in the Snow.

Hmmmm. I like the "voice cracking" on WB but I don't think it is exactly a "technique"-- I think it may just be age and/or smoking. :) To each her own.

I highly recommend Roses In The Snow, as well as Angel Band.
~Susannah Clark

~Tallulah Bankhead

Arlene
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Turk » Fri Feb 11, 2005 7:06 am

SweetSusie wrote:I have a three-CD box set which is a really nice chronological review of her career.

This is my recommendation for anyone new to Emmylou. It's called Portraits
Wrecking Ball was somewhat of a departure for Emmy and not well received by some.
I happened to embrace it and applaud her for going to new places. Daniel Lanois helped Emmylou's voice reach another level.
Turk
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Turk » Sun Feb 13, 2005 10:13 am

There is a local listener-supported radio station in Atlanta. WRFG features a variety of music genres from all over the world. Every Sunday a.m. from 9-11, there's a show called "My Own House" that features bluegrass, folk, and Americana-ish music.
Today's theme for the show was 'love' in honor of Valentine's Day.
They played "Love Hurts" by Gram Parsons w/Emmylou and ended the show with "Love Is..." by Emmy.
WOOHOO!
Now, if I can just wake them up to a little Patty....I am working on that now.
Turk
Top of the World
Top of the World

Next

Return to Music. (Other than Patty!)