Emmylou Harris

Yes, there's a whole world of music out there besides Patty.

Moderator: gillian

Postby Turk » Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:36 am

I really like their version of "Shelter from the Storm" and Emmy still looks as fabulous as ever. Thanks again for the reminder, Counselor.
Turk
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby karla » Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:36 pm

Emmylou gots lots of love at the Golden Globes last night. The best song award went to a song from Brokeback Mountain, and the winning songwriters both mentioned how great it was to have Emmylou singing it. I haven't heard it or seen the movie yet, but the small clip during the show sounded great.
It's hard to give, it's hard to get, ...
but everybody needs a little forgiveness.
karla
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby Arlene » Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:43 pm

karla wrote:Emmylou gots lots of love at the Golden Globes last night. The best song award went to a song from Brokeback Mountain, and the winning songwriters both mentioned how great it was to have Emmylou singing it. I haven't heard it or seen the movie yet, but the small clip during the show sounded great.

It's beautiful. BTW. Even though it won the Golden Globe award for Best Song, "A Love That Will Never Grow Old" has been disqualified from Oscar consideration because the clip used in the the movie (an excerpt plays over the radio) was deemed too short. I'm bummed 'cause I'd have loved to have seen and heard Emmylou perform at the Academy Awards
"You've got to sing like you don't need the money, love like you'll never get hurt. You've got to dance like no one is watching. It's gotta come from the heart, if you want it to work."
~Susannah Clark

"Ginger Rogers did everything that Fred Astaire did. She just did it backwards and in high heels." ~Molly Ivins

"If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes, only sooner."
~Tallulah Bankhead

Arlene
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Turk » Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:56 pm

Arlene wrote:
karla wrote:Emmylou gots lots of love at the Golden Globes last night.

It's beautiful. BTW. Even though it won the Golden Globe award for Best Song, "A Love That Will Never Grow Old" has been disqualified from Oscar consideration because the clip used in the the movie (an excerpt plays over the radio) was deemed too short. I'm bummed 'cause I'd have loved to have seen and heard Emmylou perform at the Academy Awards.

Bummed and bummerered about the Academy ouster. I believe politics had a hand in ALTWNGO's disqualification. Not for the film's theme but for the Disney crowd. I would love to see Emmy grace the awards show. It's their loss.

I jumped and screamed when the song won on the GGlobes last night.
Suck on that, Oscar!
Turk
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Arlene » Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:14 pm

OK. I my never-ending quest to bore you with Emmylou info.... her duets album with Mark Knofler will be released in Europe on 4/24 and in the U.S. on 4/25 and for our European contingent, dates in Europe have just been announced for a tour with MarK Knopfler in support of that album:

Fri, 5/26 Brussels
Sat, 5/27 Copenhagen
Sun, 5/28 Hamburg
Tue, 5/30 Stockholm
Wed, 5/31 Oslo
Fri, 6/2 Zurich
Sat, 6/3 Italy TBA
Mon, 6/5 Rotterdam
Tue, 6/6 Frankfurt
Thu, 6/8 London, Wembley Arena
Fri, 6/9 Manchester
Sat, 6/10 Dublin
Mon, 6/12 Paris

Then, I've heard unofficially that they'll be performing at Telluride together at the June 15-19 festival and will do a very short tour of American cities from June 20th through June 30th.

Also, Emmylou, Elvis Costello, Gillian Welch and David Rawlings will be appearing on the Grand Ole Opry on February 17th and 18th (and you can tune in for a live webcast on http://www.wsmonline.com) and there willl be an hour long TV special taken from the 4 of them performing at The Opry which will be broadcast on GAC TV (Great American Country is a cable channel) on Saturday, March 4th at 8:00 p.m.
"You've got to sing like you don't need the money, love like you'll never get hurt. You've got to dance like no one is watching. It's gotta come from the heart, if you want it to work."
~Susannah Clark

"Ginger Rogers did everything that Fred Astaire did. She just did it backwards and in high heels." ~Molly Ivins

~Tallulah Bankhead

Arlene
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Kelsea » Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:38 pm

I'm never bored with Emmylou, thanks for letting us know! I'll leave sticky notes for myself so I remember both the GAC broadcast and Grand Ole Opry show. Who knows maybe she'll hit the west side in June, I'd love to see her live. As always thank you for the info!
Kelsea
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby Turk » Sat Feb 11, 2006 3:16 pm

Emmylou info will never be a bore to me either, Arlene. If boring me is wrong, I don't wanna be entertained.

Release of All the Roadrunning set for April 24th -UK. April 25th - US.

01. Beachcombing
02. This Is Us
03. I Dug Up A Diamond
04. Red Staggerwing
05. Rollin' On
06. Love And Happiness
07. Right Now
08. Donkey Town
09. Belle Starr
10. Beyond My Wildest Dreams
11. All The Roadrunning
12. If This Is Goodbye
Turk
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Little_Kites » Sat Feb 11, 2006 4:59 pm

I don't think I could ever be bored with Emmylou info either.

Also I'm in love with that album cover

Did you all know Emmylou won a grammy for The Connection? Yay
Little_Kites
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby Arlene » Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:12 am

According to the woman who runs Emmylou's web site, Emmylou will have a box set coming out in November. Here is Kate's description: "Due out in November. Supposedly lots of unreleased or hard to find cuts (is it too much to hope for Evangeline and Thirteen?) and a DVD of a Hot Band concert."

Hehehehe

P.S. Here are some photos Kate took backstage at this past weekend's Grand Ole Opry show with Emmyou, Elvis Costello, Gillian Welch and David Rawlings. (IMHO, she ain't looking half bad for a 58 year old broad!!!) :wink: http://emmylou.net/opryfeb06.html
~Susannah Clark

~Tallulah Bankhead

Arlene
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Kelsea » Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:10 pm

58 my ass, she certainly doesn’t look it and with all these projects she's got going on you'd think she was 30. Even with the sticky notes I completely forgot about the GAC show, in my defense I didn't have much extra time to watch. But I finally got the chance to hear the song she did for Brokeback Mountain and haven't stopped listening to it since. Thanks for the info Arlene!
Kelsea
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby PCStuff » Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:45 pm

She still looks fabulous. I'm wondering how she would look in terms of younger if she dyed her hair black/brown...I bet she would look 35.
PCStuff
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby Arlene » Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:27 am

KelseaC wrote: Even with the sticky notes I completely forgot about the GAC show, in my defense I didn't have much extra time to watch.

Actually, you didn't miss the GAC show. It will be broadcast on Saturday, March 4th at 8:00 p.m. (And will be rebroadcast several times during that week.)

Kelsea- Do you by any chance have a DVD recorder???? (My cable system doesn't offer GAC and.....)
~Susannah Clark

~Tallulah Bankhead

Arlene
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Kelsea » Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:24 pm

Actually, you didn't miss the GAC show. It will be broadcast on Saturday, March 4th at 8:00 p.m.
:oops: I must have gotten the actual performance and broadcast mixed up. I don't know where I'd be without you keeping me strait on all things Emmylou Arlene lol

The last time I tried to record something on my digital cable was a couple of years ago and I didn't have the best of luck, of course I'll see what I can for you I have a little time.
Kelsea
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby Arlene » Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:02 am

Turk- This is primarily for you but others might be interested. Here's an article I enjoyed about the forthcoming Emmylou/Mark Knopfler duets album: http://emmylou.net/atrr.html
~Susannah Clark

~Tallulah Bankhead

Arlene
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Turk » Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:24 am

Great article, Arlene. Thank you.
It's very interesting that this has been a work in progress for 7 years. I can't wait to hear the whole album.

The climactic track, "If This Is Goodbye," however, is definitely rooted in our modern history, inspired by a sober and eloquent piece, "Beyond Belief," that the English novelist Ian McEwan had written for London's The Guardian some days after 9/11. It's a subtle and respectful track and, as Emmylou characterizes it, "a song of healing": "When Mark was playing it for me, I thought this is a beautiful, sad love song, then he told me more about it. I found it very difficult to sing that song. I was very close to tears during the recording of it. Even talking about it, I get emotional. It's a song that gets beyond anything political, it's a song about those individuals and the tragedy that happened and puts it in a context that anyone can embrace. It's not a red song or a blue song, it's just about human beings and the terrible things that can sometimes happen."
Turk
Top of the World
Top of the World

PreviousNext

Return to Music. (Other than Patty!)