Emmylou Harris

Yes, there's a whole world of music out there besides Patty.

Moderator: gillian

Postby Arlene » Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:21 am

Here's an interesting interview/review of the new Emmylou Harris/Mark Knopfler CD. See http://enjoyment.independent.co.uk/musi ... 356134.ece
"You've got to sing like you don't need the money, love like you'll never get hurt. You've got to dance like no one is watching. It's gotta come from the heart, if you want it to work."
~Susannah Clark

"Ginger Rogers did everything that Fred Astaire did. She just did it backwards and in high heels." ~Molly Ivins

"If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes, only sooner."
~Tallulah Bankhead

Arlene
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Turk » Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:00 am

Another great article, A.
Thank you.
Turk
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Arlene » Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:30 am

FYI. The North American tour dates for Emmylou and Mark Knopfler's duets tour have been announced:

June 19, 2006 - Toronto, Ontario - (Molson Ampitheatre)
June 21, 2006 - Washington D.C. - (D.A.R. Constitution Hall)
June 22, 2006 - NYC, NY - (Radio City Music Hall)
June 23, 2006 - Boston, MA (B of A Pavillion)
June 25, 2006 - Chicago, IL (Charter One Pavilion at Northerly Island)
June 26, 2006 - Minneapolis, MN (Orpheum)
June 28, 2006 - Universal City, CA (Gibson Ampitheater at Universal CityWalk)
June 29, 2006 - Santa Barbara, CA (Santa Barbara Bowl)
June 30, 2006 - Berkeley, CA (Greek Theater)

If anyone wants to order tickets to these shows, the presale password is ROADRUNNER

Also- They'll appear together on April 27th on Letterman and on April 22nd on Prairie Home Companion
Last edited by Arlene on Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You've got to sing like you don't need the money, love like you'll never get hurt. You've got to dance like no one is watching. It's gotta come from the heart, if you want it to work."
~Susannah Clark

"Ginger Rogers did everything that Fred Astaire did. She just did it backwards and in high heels." ~Molly Ivins

~Tallulah Bankhead

Arlene
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby deaeterna » Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:35 am

FYI...Amazon.com has the new Mark and Emmy duets CD, All the Roadrunning, on sale already (even though it's a week and a half until the release)...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000F0 ... oding=UTF8

As does overstock...

http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2.cgi ... ID=1911510
deaeterna
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby Arlene » Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:42 am

I thought this was kind of cool. Here's part of an article from the Sunday Times (of London) about David Attenborough, the documentary director, TV news journalist, etc....:

Interview: David Attenborough
He’s nearly 80, but David Attenborough has lost none of his irrepressible curiosity. Bryan Appleyard talks to one of TV’s naturals

I know of three people who know that Emmylou Harris is the greatest female singer since Ella Fitzgerald — me, a bloke in Wallington and, to my amazement, David Attenborough. “Yes, yes,” he says, in that breathy, gorilla-charming voice, “absolutely.” He even knows and loves her performance of Love Hurts with Gram Parsons. Attenborough is a national institution, of course, but cool also? Awestruck, I ask him a question I thought I’d never ask: “What’s on your iPod?”

“Every major classical work since Monteverdi’s Vespers of 1610 — it’s a 45-gig iPod — all Beethoven symphonies, all Mahler and, yes, yes, Emmylou Harris.”
~Susannah Clark

~Tallulah Bankhead

Arlene
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Little_Kites » Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:37 am

I heard in passing that Emmylou and Mark Knopfler will be on the Imus in the morning show, however I wasn't exactly paying attention so I'm not sure the actual date they will be on...but I think its tommorow morning. So sorry about that, really. I tried to check on emmylou.net cause I thought maybe it would be over there but nothing and even on the imus website but nothing there either. *shrug* maybe somebody else hear heard this

Also This is Us sounds good
Little_Kites
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby Turk » Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:18 am

Listen to "Love and Happiness" from the duet album here.
Turk
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Arlene » Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:09 pm

As usual, LK was correct-- this time about the Imus appearance :D

To summarize, if you're interested in hearing and/or seeing any of their TV and/or radio appearances, Emmylou and Mark Knopfler will be on

Sat, April 22nd Prairie Home Companion (radio)

Tues, April 25th Imus in the Morning (telecast on MSNBC)

Thurs. April 27th Letterman (telecast on CBS)
~Susannah Clark

~Tallulah Bankhead

Arlene
Top of the World
Top of the World

My review...

Postby deaeterna » Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:09 pm

http://www.hybridmagazine.com/reviews/0 ... rris.shtml

This is definitely one of my "must haves" for '06!
deaeterna
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby Arlene » Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:26 am

I particularly like the sentiment expressed in this quote from Mark Knopfler: "In my writing, I'd been dealing a fair bit with the male-female shape," Knopfler says. "With that amazing voice, Emmylou, now more than ever, seems to capture a kind of universal female experience, something that speaks to all ages."
~Susannah Clark

~Tallulah Bankhead

Arlene
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Arlene » Sun May 21, 2006 11:15 am

To see a video of Emmylou and Mark Knopfler performing This is Us, see http://bingolotto.tv4.se/qbrickbingo/player.aspx?id=79#

To see a video of them performing If This Is Goodbye, see http://bingolotto.tv4.se/qbrickbingo/player.aspx?id=80#
~Susannah Clark

~Tallulah Bankhead

Arlene
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Arlene » Mon May 29, 2006 9:18 am

This is for Turk: You might want to check out this video of Emmylou and Mark Knopfler singing the Dire Straits song, "Why Worry" from the May 26th show in Brussels: http://youtube.com/watch?v=g6aMtAXGL38& ... %20emmylou
~Susannah Clark

~Tallulah Bankhead

Arlene
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby marmalade » Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:12 pm

I saw Emmylou Harris at the Liverpool Empire last night and she was absolutely amazing. It's a six hour round trip from Oxford which is no small undertaking especially when I had to be at work early the next day but it was certainly worth it. I wouldn't have missed it for the world :D

The Empire is a fabulous venue and it was predictably sold out. But we had great seats, 4th row of the stalls and right in the centre.

I thought the support act Jon Randall was excellent also. He was very well received and he came back on during Emmylou's set for another two songs.

Emmylou looked stunning & she has such a remarkable stage presence. She was wearing a black dress, white boots and a bright blue shawl. She was accompanied by Pam Rose (guitars), Mary Ann Kennedy (mandolin, percussion, harmonica) and David Jakes (double bass) and they all gave a first class performance. They work extremely well together.

The set list was as follows - Here I Am, Orphan Girl, Love and Happiness, Red Dirt Girl, To Know Him Is To Love Him, (Ian & Sylvia, Canadian folk duo song, don't know title), In My Dreams, Strong Hand, Evangeline, Didn't Leave Nobody But The Baby, A Love That Will Never Grow Old, Goin Back To Harlan, If I Needed You (with Jon Randall), For No One, After The Gold Rush, The Pearl, Sweetheart of the Rodeo, Boy From Tupelo, (and finishing with an old hymn, possibly called Bright Morning Stars or similar). The encore was Boulder to Birmingham and Save The Last Dance For Me (again with Jon Randall).

I loved every second of it. Boulder to Birmingham was wonderful (always a favourite and worth the admission money alone) and Didn't Leave Nobody But The Baby with just Emmylou, Pam and Mary Ann singing was breathtaking. It was really special. For No One got an extra loud cheer but as Emmylou said, 'we are in Liverpool afterall, so we have to do a Beatles song'.

Emmylou looked very relaxed and everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves. Emmylou told lots of random stories (ranging from her mother making her wear a cycle helmet to having to watch cricket because there's no baseball over here and she even managed a joke which her brother had told her. She also had a 'senior' moment when she muddled up two songs and introduced 'A Love That Will Never Grow Old' instead of 'Love and Happiness'. But she just shook her head and laughed it off.

And the evening was over much too soon but ended with a well deserved standing ovation from a very happy audience.
marmalade
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby Turk » Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:30 pm

Wow -
What an evening.
Anytime Emmy is with Mary Ann and Pam, it's magic.
Thanks for that, Marm.
Turk
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Turk » Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:32 pm

Arlene wrote:This is for Turk: You might want to check out this video of Emmylou and Mark Knopfler singing the Dire Straits song, "Why Worry" from the May 26th show in Brussels: http://youtube.com/watch?v=g6aMtAXGL38& ... %20emmylou

I've been without hi-speed for awhile so I'm just getting around to this great video.
Thank you, A.
Turk
Top of the World
Top of the World

PreviousNext

Return to Music. (Other than Patty!)