Emmylou Harris

Yes, there's a whole world of music out there besides Patty.

Moderator: gillian

Postby Arlene » Sun Jun 10, 2007 5:10 pm

Tonto Yoder wrote:I can't remember if any PattyNetters are big Emmyfans, but the following torrent seems like something they'd like (or give their second firstborn for??)---

I THOUGHT that Gillian Welch & David Rawlings had given the definitive cover of Graham Parker's "Hickory Wind", but I may hafta reconsider........

Obviously, you're not thinking of me. :D (I already have this one in both DVD and CD form.) And if you thought anyone other than Emmy and/or Gram did the definitive version of Hickory Wind, then.... then.... well obviously, you're not someone I'd TRUST with my first born. :wink:
"You've got to sing like you don't need the money, love like you'll never get hurt. You've got to dance like no one is watching. It's gotta come from the heart, if you want it to work."
~Susannah Clark

"Ginger Rogers did everything that Fred Astaire did. She just did it backwards and in high heels." ~Molly Ivins

"If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes, only sooner."
~Tallulah Bankhead

Arlene
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby beforesunrise » Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:56 pm

where can I download the torrent? =) I'll upload my second firstborn in exchange.
beforesunrise
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby TontoBronto » Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:21 am

beforesunrise wrote:where can I download the torrent? =) I'll upload my second firstborn in exchange.

http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-deta ... ?id=149824

There are about 60 people who have snatched it and become seeders, so it downloads pretty quickly (for a DVD).
TontoBronto
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby beforesunrise » Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:36 am

:D thanks! downloading now. I had tried to search dime earlier but they were down for maintenance or something.
beforesunrise
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby TontoBronto » Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:31 am

Arlene wrote:
Tonto Yoder wrote:I THOUGHT that Gillian Welch & David Rawlings had given the definitive cover of Graham Parker's "Hickory Wind", but I may hafta reconsider........

... And if you thought anyone other than Emmy and/or Gram did the definitive version of Hickory Wind, then.... then.... well obviously, you're not someone I'd TRUST with my first born. :wink:

So you were just letting slide the "Graham Parker" malapropism???
I meant to say "Graham Nash". :wink:

To be honest, I've never really cared for Gram Parton (Dolly's brother), so I prefer the "Return of the Grievance Lawyer" tribute tracks, esp. the Gillian & Whiskeytown versions
TontoBronto
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Arlene » Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:57 am

FYI. There's a 4 CD box set with bonus DVD of Emmylou rarities called Songbird being released by Rhino on 9/18. (She included Beyond The Blue with Patty.)

If interested, there's a great article about her approach to music in today's LA Times at http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/ne ... news-music"
"You've got to sing like you don't need the money, love like you'll never get hurt. You've got to dance like no one is watching. It's gotta come from the heart, if you want it to work."
~Susannah Clark

"Ginger Rogers did everything that Fred Astaire did. She just did it backwards and in high heels." ~Molly Ivins

~Tallulah Bankhead

Arlene
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Turk » Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:20 am

Arlene wrote:FYI. There's a 4 CD box set with bonus DVD of Emmylou rarities called Songbird being released by Rhino on 9/18. (She included Beyond The Blue with Patty.)

I'd much rather have a video of the two singing "Trapeze" but, oh well...

Regarding the Spyboy Baden Baden show: My brother found it on disc quite awhile ago. Very good indeed.
Turk
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby notalone » Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:20 am

I've really been enjoying the new box set "Songbird" the last couple weeks. I listen to one disc each day, early in the morning, on my drive to work. Even though I have all her cds the sequencing makes them all sound new again.
Also really enjoying the DVD side of "ReaLliveRoadrunning" with Mark Knopfler. "Red Dirt Girl"s absolutely stunning.
Sometimes you wonder if your walking in the wrong direction.
notalone
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby TontoBronto » Mon Dec 24, 2007 11:44 pm

FWIW, there's a video torrent of Emmylou's "10 Commandments of Country" on Dime--
Emmylou offers 10 elements that make up a country song and illustrates her points with her own songs.
Emmylou Harris
The Derby
Los Angeles, CA
U.S.A.
2007-09-09

Emmylou Harris : Guitar, Vocals
Keith Little : Banjo, Mandolin, Guitar, Vocals
Ricky Simpkins : Fiddle, Mandolin, Vocals
Tom Gray : Bass
Mike Audridge : Dobro

BBC Four broadcast (UK) 2007-10-12 as "Emmylou Harris's 10 Commandments of Country"
BBC HD broadcast (UK) 2007-12-21 (audio only extracted from this broadcast)

Video : PAL 720 x 576 @ 25fps. 3646kbps

1. Introduction
2. Snowin' On Raton
3. Mama's Hungry Eyes
4. For No One
5. Band Introductions
6. Rough And Rocky
7. My Songbird
8. Bright Morning Stars
9. Jordan
10. Love And Happiness
11. Sin City
12. Wheels
13. The Darkest Hour Is Just Before Dawn
14. Sweet Old World
15. Get Up John
Last edited by TontoBronto on Tue Dec 25, 2007 5:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
TontoBronto
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Turk » Mon Dec 24, 2007 11:50 pm

Thanks to the magnificent and beautiful Ian from across the pond, I have that show on DVD. The quality is awesome in both video and audio.
One of the best Emmylou live on disc shows I've ever seen.
Turk
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Arlene » Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:40 am

It's an honor that is ridiculously overdue, but FYI, yesterday it was announced that Patty's good friend, Emmylou Harris, has been named to the Country Music Hall of Fame:

If not for Emmylou …

In the movie It's A Wonderful Life, Jimmy Stewart portrays a down-and-out fellow named George Bailey who receives a supernatural chance to see what his town would be like had he not been there to help people out. Turns out that without Bailey, prosperous Bedford Falls would have been a dreary, soul-sucking kind of place.

Emmylou Harris is Nashville music's real-life George Bailey. Take her out of the picture and the music suffers. She brought wondrous songwriters, including Rodney Crowell, Townes Van Zandt and Gillian Welch, to popular attention. She reinvented older songs in ways that connected with mass, contemporary audiences.

She brought Tony Brown, Emory Gordy Jr. and Steve Fishell into her fold and into the mainstream, and those musicians wound up producing hundreds of significant records. Harris championed Welch, Lucinda Williams, Buddy and Julie Miller and others at times when the public had yet to clue in to those talents.

Harris also is the single most important and best-known harmony singer alive: She played an integral role in recordings by Neil Young and Bob Dylan, thus increasing Nashville's artistic cache among people prone to scoff or ignore. She is linked in some way to nearly every artistically positive development in country music over the past 33 years.

After duet partner Gram Parsons' 1973 death, Harris sought to extend his "Cosmic American" musical ethic, which involved mashing traditional country harmonies, Southern soul and rock 'n' roll into something distinct and emotionally communicative. In so doing, she secured a legacy for Parsons and became an essential figure in country's history.

Harris has won 12 Grammy Awards, sold more than 15 millions albums worldwide and seemingly garnered nary an enemy.

"I'm thinking today about all the friends I've met along the way," she said before the Hall announcement.

Later, at the podium, she remembered Parsons for introducing her to "a music that helped me find my true voice and led me to extraordinary people."
~Susannah Clark

~Tallulah Bankhead

Arlene
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby marybeth » Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:44 am

Rock on, Emmy Lou!
http://www.marybethdamico.com

Some people don't care if they live or they die
Some people want to know what it feels like to fly

Americana: "a nebulous category of misfits and acquired tastes, many of whom seem to have worn cowboy hats at one time or another" LA Times article
marybeth
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby beforesunrise » Sun Feb 17, 2008 6:14 pm

today I saw that Emmylou is on the cover of an acoustic guitar magazine. (I think it's called Acoustic Guitar but am not sure.) there's tablature for her song The Pearl and interesting stuff about the open tunings she uses. there was also mention of a new album coming out this spring. (I did not know this.)
beforesunrise
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby Arlene » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:39 am

beforesunrise wrote:there was also mention of a new album coming out this spring. (I did not know this.)

The new album, All I Intended to Be, is scheduled for an April release. It is produced by Brian Ahern, who produced her first six album in the 1970s (and is her ex-husband), and it will include some original songs and some covers. Guests include Kate and Anna McGarrigle. No work yet on whether Patty will be on it.

Also, here's the link to the full Acoustic Guitar cover story on Emmylou from the March 2008 issue: http://www.acousticguitar.com/article/d ... cleid=7910
~Susannah Clark

~Tallulah Bankhead

Arlene
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Arlene » Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:59 pm

Emmylou has a new CD coming out on June 10th entitled "All I Intended To Be." The track list includes a song titled "Moon Song." I'm not sure but I'm willing to bet.... Here's the track listing, which appears to include covers of songs by Tom Waits, Tracy Chapman, and Billy Joe Shaver as well as Patty.:

01. Shores of White Sand
02. Hold On
03. Moon Song
04. Broken Man's Lament
05. Gold
06. How She Could Sing the Wildwood
07. All That You Have is Your Soul
08. Take That Ride
09. Old Five and Dimers Like Me
10. Kern River
11. Not Enough
12. Sailing Round the Room
13. Beyond the Great Divide
~Susannah Clark

~Tallulah Bankhead

Arlene
Top of the World
Top of the World

PreviousNext

Return to Music. (Other than Patty!)