Brandi Carlile

Yes, there's a whole world of music out there besides Patty.

Moderator: gillian

Postby tuckatangent » Wed Jun 14, 2006 2:46 pm

Those links aren't working, Elise! Thanks for the great review though - you've got me all excited!
Amber
tuckatangent
A Place to Stand
A Place to Stand

Postby Fool On Fire » Wed Jun 14, 2006 3:06 pm

Meh. When I cross-posted the links got truncated. :?

I fixed it,
~Elise
I've become the beggar now, and you've become the saint somehow
twist the words and place the blame, and tell me now, aren't we the same?

-- Amy Ray

born under a bad sign, been down since I began to crawl
if it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have no luck at all

-- Albert King

the saints and all the martyrs look down on dying converts
"what makes the water holy," she said, "is that it's the closest thing to rain..."

-- Josh Ritter

...the blues is the roots...everything else is the fruits...
Fool On Fire
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby tuckatangent » Wed Jun 14, 2006 6:32 pm

Hmm, she's got to work on her "stage" smile! Thanks for the pix - they look great!
Amber
tuckatangent
A Place to Stand
A Place to Stand

Postby Mis » Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:43 pm

I am TOTALLY in love with her album right now. I need to pick up the reissue, which has a reworked "Throw It All Away" and some bonus tracks, evidently. DAMN that child can SAAAAANG. She's playing the WXPN "All About The Music" Festival in July and I am so there.
Liars
are lying
Airplanes
are flying
Love isn't here
Love isn't here
But it's somewhere...
Mis
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby Fool On Fire » Thu Jun 15, 2006 1:22 am

Well, they're not really bonus tracks. They're reworked versions of "Throw it All Away," "Tragedy," and "What Can I Say," plus something else that I can't remember. Basically it's the same album, just with a couple of things redone. If you've been watching Grey's Anatomy, the new version of "Tragedy" was on there...its dominating feature is the addition of a cello part, which is very pretty. When I saw her, she had a cellist playing as part of her band, and he was solo with her for that song. It was lovely.

I was thrilled to pieces to hear all the new songs, and totally bushwhacked that she landed T Bone Burnett as a producer for the next album. Hot damn. What a total coup to get him - the man has worked with Bob Dylan and Joan Baez and Emmylou Harris and the Counting Crows...I can't *wait* - and by that I mean, I am literally bouncing in my seat - to hear the result of their partnership. I think she's gonna be the next big rockstar.

~Elise
I've become the beggar now, and you've become the saint somehow
twist the words and place the blame, and tell me now, aren't we the same?

-- Amy Ray

born under a bad sign, been down since I began to crawl
if it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have no luck at all

-- Albert King

the saints and all the martyrs look down on dying converts
"what makes the water holy," she said, "is that it's the closest thing to rain..."

-- Josh Ritter

...the blues is the roots...everything else is the fruits...
Fool On Fire
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby karla » Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:42 pm

I agree, Elise, and I had the same reaction when I saw her earlier this year. That girl's got IT. Talent, star power, voice, good material - you name it.
It's hard to give, it's hard to get, ...
but everybody needs a little forgiveness.
karla
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby Elizabeth » Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:56 pm

I heard a song of her's on Sirius the other night and got the cd today. I loved her voice so much.

To my astonishment, after looking her up, I seen she is from freaking Ravensdale, Wa! That is where I spent most of my life, there is actually a corner nick named after my family. And everybody we know still lives there. Why this is shocking to me is Ravensdale is not a town, it is just a place in the woods, it literally is like the end of the earth. I never thought I would (unknowingly) buy a cd by someone from there. Small, small world.

But anyway, so far today I am enjoying the album a lot.
Elizabeth
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby tuckatangent » Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:43 am

As promised, my review of last night's show. Cross-posted from the BCB.

Show. Was. Fucking. Awesome.

I took my dad, and he absolutely adored her, which makes me very, very happy.

Let's see, ahhh, sleepy, I got to meet Trish, and she was nice enough to take a pic of Brandi and I b/c I used up all my film taking pix.

I am just blown away at how charming and talented Brandi is. She was absolutely amazing!!!!!

Setlist-ish (not in order, y'all, I didn't write it down)
the times they are a changing
follow
tragedy
what can i say (very cute, everyone sang along)
someday never comes
again today
closer to you
throw it all away
happy
fall apart again
tragedy
cannonball (SO beautiful, damn!!)
my song
downpour
creep (AHHH!!! Loved this one - it's so funny/hot to hear her say "And I'm So FUCKING sick of this" - the angry lyrics are just really great for her)
the clock
late morning lullaby
folsom prison blues (AHHHH, she rocks this one out!!!!)
brand new song: "sweet josephine take me away" (very pretty!)
hallelujah

Tidbits: She recorded "Fall Apart Again" in Austin after SXSW. She recorded this show for T. Bone Burnett, who wanted to hear the band live, and she told me she leaks all of her live shows, so this one will probably turn up. YAY!!!!!!!

She's recording the album in November, but I guess y'all already knew that.

I guess this show for me can be summed up when I looked back at my dad who'd never heard of her beyond hearing the debut I burned for him - well, I looked back at him during "Folsom Prison Blues" and he looked so freaking happy. He was completely blown away. But, hey, Brandi has that effect on people!

*le sigh* I am still in Brandi heaven.
Amber
tuckatangent
A Place to Stand
A Place to Stand

Postby Arlene » Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:19 am

I saw Shawn Colvin's final show on the U.S. leg of her tour last night and I have to say how much I REALLY enjoyed Brandi Carlisle. One of the biggest highlights of the whole evening was when Shawn brought her out for Shawn's first encore to duet with her on Jane Siberry's Calling All Angels. (Shawn sang the K.D. Lang part.) As Shawn noted with a very broad grin: "I keep telling her, if she'd just work on her voice a little bit...."

Arlene
"You've got to sing like you don't need the money, love like you'll never get hurt. You've got to dance like no one is watching. It's gotta come from the heart, if you want it to work."
~Susannah Clark

"Ginger Rogers did everything that Fred Astaire did. She just did it backwards and in high heels." ~Molly Ivins

"If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes, only sooner."
~Tallulah Bankhead

Arlene
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Mis » Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:14 pm

Arlene wrote:I saw Shawn Colvin's final show on the U.S. leg of her tour last night and I have to say how much I REALLY enjoyed Brandi Carlisle. One of the biggest highlights of the whole evening was when Shawn brought her out for Shawn's first encore to duet with her on Jane Siberry's Calling All Angels. (Shawn sang the K.D. Lang part.) As Shawn noted with a very broad grin: "I keep telling her, if she'd just work on her voice a little bit...."

Arlene

She blew us all away in Philly last Sunday, as well. I have to say, I was equally excited to see Brandi as I was Shawn! :) I, too, was wowed by the "Calling All Angels" duet, and Shawn actually made a similar comment the night I saw them.

I put up a full review of the entire show on my MySpace blog. And also on my LJ (for those of you who don't have MySpace).
Liars
are lying
Airplanes
are flying
Love isn't here
Love isn't here
But it's somewhere...
Mis
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby Arlene » Sun Nov 26, 2006 3:14 pm

FYI. WXPN now has its own station archives (separate from the World Cafe archives) and if you scroll down to find it, you can hear a concert by Brandi Carlisle at http://www.xponentialmusic.org/intervie ... hives.php# (This is the only place I've been able to find her singing The Times They Are A Changing)
"You've got to sing like you don't need the money, love like you'll never get hurt. You've got to dance like no one is watching. It's gotta come from the heart, if you want it to work."
~Susannah Clark

"Ginger Rogers did everything that Fred Astaire did. She just did it backwards and in high heels." ~Molly Ivins

"If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes, only sooner."
~Tallulah Bankhead

Arlene
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Mis » Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:40 pm

Thanks, Arlene! :D
Liars
are lying
Airplanes
are flying
Love isn't here
Love isn't here
But it's somewhere...
Mis
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby gillian » Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:38 am

The Story - The Album

The new album, titled The Story, is finished and the release date is set for April 3rd! It was recorded in Vancouver and produced by T Bone Burnett. The final track listing is:

1 - Late Morning Lullaby
2 - The Story
3 - Turpentine
4 - My Song
5 - Wasted
6 - Have You Ever
7 - Josephine
8 - Losing Heart
9 - Cannonball
10 - Until I Die
11 - Downpour
12 - Shadow On The Wall
13 - Again Today

Which leads us to...

"The Story" - The Song

"The Story" is the first single at radio and will start getting airplay (knock on wood) in mid-February. Please listen for "The Story" and let your favorite local radio station know they should be playing it!

"The Story" will also be available digitally on January 16th on iTunes, Sony Connect, Rhapsody, Wal-mart, Best Buy Music, Yahoo, Napster, Zune and MTV Urge.

"The Story" Ringtone and Ringback tone will be available on January 23rd. Check with your cell phone carrier for details.

Spring Tour

The new headlining tour will be finalized in the coming weeks and we hope to announce the dates in early February. Brandi will be hitting the road in late March for about eight weeks.
gillian
Founder
Founder

Postby Rob » Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:43 pm

Here's a link to The Story. Wow.
You can't really dust for vomit.

-- Nigel Tufnel
Rob
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby Mis » Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:23 am

Brandi has "The Story" up on her Myspace page:

http://www.myspace.com/brandicarlileband

MUTHA I love that song!

It's also available for DL on i-Tunes - you have to kind of dig around to find it, but it's there.
Liars
are lying
Airplanes
are flying
Love isn't here
Love isn't here
But it's somewhere...
Mis
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

PreviousNext

Return to Music. (Other than Patty!)