Brandi Carlile

Yes, there's a whole world of music out there besides Patty.

Moderator: gillian

Postby PCStuff » Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:45 pm

KelseaC wrote:I do wish Again Today (maybe my fave) and the track that follows (not the same song right?) were split but oh well.

Yeah the first thing I did was rip it as WAV, and edited that last song to make track 13 just be "Again Today" and the hidden track into track 14 - Hiding My Heart and made my own CD-R copy.

I love when artists add extra tracks, but hate the long delay before it starts.
PCStuff
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby scottz » Sun Apr 22, 2007 7:40 pm

I just grabbed "The Story." Wow, so good! I also picked up Joanna Newsom's YS & that's freakin amazingly good-- sonic bliss.
Waiting for Lightning...
scottz
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby Fool On Fire » Sun Apr 22, 2007 8:14 pm

Ang and Russ and Megs and I were lucky enough to get to her show at the Variety Playhouse. What an amazing performance. Despite a few drunken revelers in the crowd screaming such things as "GET IT, BRANDI!" and "Please play HALLELUJAH!" it was all quite amazing. That girl can perform.

Oh, and to finish the evening by almost making me crap my pants completely...she brought out a special guest to sing on "Cannonball" and play electric lead guitar on "Folsom Prison Blues." EMILY SALIERS. Gahhh. EMILY FUCKING SALIERS!

Wow. Girl's a rockstar. Apparently Elton John sent her flowers, too. haha.

~Elise
I've become the beggar now, and you've become the saint somehow
twist the words and place the blame, and tell me now, aren't we the same?

-- Amy Ray

born under a bad sign, been down since I began to crawl
if it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have no luck at all

-- Albert King

the saints and all the martyrs look down on dying converts
"what makes the water holy," she said, "is that it's the closest thing to rain..."

-- Josh Ritter

...the blues is the roots...everything else is the fruits...
Fool On Fire
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby tuckatangent » Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:36 pm

That's so cool you saw her with Emily. My dad and I saw the show in Austin last a few weeks ago. She was great, as usual. I was also really impressed with Gibb Droll - damn, he can play guitar.
Amber
tuckatangent
A Place to Stand
A Place to Stand

Postby Mis » Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:40 pm

Saw Brandi last night at World Cafe Live in Philly - she LOVES playing here, because XPN has played the hell out of her stuff and she has a really solid fan base in the area as a result. Plus, like 15 Brandi forum people from all over the NE came down, so it was great to hang with similarly smitten people. Therefore, Brandi BROUGHT IT last night - it was awesome...the best of the 3 performances I've seen her play thus far. The crowd was fantastic - I felt like I was at an Indigo Girls show, because everyone was really cool, and very sing-a-long-y, but in the appropriate spots. Setlist (not in order):

Late Morning Lullaby - I ADORE the harmony in this and they hit it perfectly EVERY time. LOVE IT.
Follow
Live Until I Die - I REALLY love this song right now. It's hitting me where I live, and it was an amazing performance.
Turpentine
Fall Apart Again
Virginia - Gibb Droll has been opening for them on some dates - he has evidently stayed on and is playing on some songs with them - this is one of his, Brandi sang backup and it was amazing.
Losing Heart
Closer To You/Ive Just Seen A Face Yes, The Beatles cover...totally works as a segueway, and the whole place was singing along...fabulous.
Downpour
Wasted
Have You Ever
My Song
The Story - R O C K...I was nearly headbanging. Ok, I was. LOL

Encore:

What Can I Say - The whole audience sang along - she stopped at the last chorus and we sang it back to her - the whole place at top lung - it was so so excellent. You could just see the realization wash over her that she had made it and that she wasn't an opening act, she wasn't small potatoes, we were there to see HER. It was an awesome thing to witness. :)
Again Today - More headbanging from Mis - this is probably my favorite on the new album, really. Lyrically, it's hitting home, for sure.
Folsom Prison Blues - As Letterman would say, "blew the roof off the dump." Gibb Droll came out and played a SCREAMING guitar solo...totally capped it.
Hallelujah - Yes, I'm going to say it - she topped Jeff Buckley last night. And that has been my favorite version of this song for YEARS. She delivered this with SO much passion and yearning - it made my heart nearly explode. Could've heard a pin drop in the place. I think even the bartenders stopped to watch.

She did a signing after the show and I got in line as it was kind of winding down, got my record signed, and asked her about touring in the UK, as I've turned a lot of my UK pals onto Brandi and they would LOVE to have her over there. She basically said that in order to do so, the record company kind of requires them to sell a certain number of records before they'll support that kind of effort, but that she'd really love to go over.

In short, I had a frickin blast. Great music, great people, reasonably priced beer - who could ask for more? ;)
Liars
are lying
Airplanes
are flying
Love isn't here
Love isn't here
But it's somewhere...
Mis
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby PCStuff » Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:08 am

WOW...what a time that must have been. I'm jealous, but happy for you.
PCStuff
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby karla » Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:00 pm

Thanks for the great review, Mis. I'm going to see Brandi in Portland June 2, and can't wait! I saw her a couple of years ago in a very small venue where she walked right out into the audience after the set, and everyone could talk to her. Those days may be gone, but I'm glad I was there. I'm sure she'll blow me away again in June.
It's hard to give, it's hard to get, ...
but everybody needs a little forgiveness.
karla
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby Arlene » Sat Apr 28, 2007 4:03 pm

Brandi live on KUT on April 17th--here's the link: http://kut.org/items/show/8038
"You've got to sing like you don't need the money, love like you'll never get hurt. You've got to dance like no one is watching. It's gotta come from the heart, if you want it to work."
~Susannah Clark

"Ginger Rogers did everything that Fred Astaire did. She just did it backwards and in high heels." ~Molly Ivins

"If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes, only sooner."
~Tallulah Bankhead

Arlene
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Kelsea » Thu May 10, 2007 11:18 pm

I just saw Brandi Carlile featured on VH1's You Ought To Know, so yeah, her independent days are numbered.
Kelsea
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby Fool On Fire » Fri May 11, 2007 12:22 am

Well, her indie days have been over ever since Columbia Records released her eponymous album two years ago. I'm glad I got to see her at the Grey Eagle before she had the power to headline at huge venues (that was a really special night). And I'm simultaneously thrilled for her success. Let's hope it continues.

~Elise
I've become the beggar now, and you've become the saint somehow
twist the words and place the blame, and tell me now, aren't we the same?

-- Amy Ray

born under a bad sign, been down since I began to crawl
if it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have no luck at all

-- Albert King

the saints and all the martyrs look down on dying converts
"what makes the water holy," she said, "is that it's the closest thing to rain..."

-- Josh Ritter

...the blues is the roots...everything else is the fruits...
Fool On Fire
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby TontoBronto » Sat May 19, 2007 8:55 am

Fool On Fire wrote:Well, her indie days have been over ever since Columbia Records released her eponymous album ...~Elise

But what was the TITLE of her eponymous album???

Brandi is on the CBS Saturday morning show today. Maybe some will still be able to catch it??? (I think it airs at different times on different channels/ time zones??)

BTW, this show has the VERY irritating practice of closing the show with the second of the artist's songs, so it's invariably shortened and has the credits crawling while the artist is scrunched over to one side of the screen. :evil:
TontoBronto
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Mis » Tue May 29, 2007 9:54 pm

FYI, this weekend, the Again Today Brandi fansite is holding a special auction where you can win an autographed guitar. The cause is worthy, so I thought I'd mention it. You can read more about it here:

http://www.againtoday.com/documents/auction.html

Also, everyone should watch this...Brandi covering Radiohead's "Creep" in Spokane, Washington last weekend:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6zcPkuxlvI

I don't care what your sexual orientation is, if you don't have a physical reaction to watching this, you need to get your hormones checked. :shock: :lol:
Liars
are lying
Airplanes
are flying
Love isn't here
Love isn't here
But it's somewhere...
Mis
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby Elizabeth » Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:36 pm

I finally saw Brandi live on Friday.

It was one of the best shows I have ever seen. I feel privileged to have been there.

There were many, many highlights on that special evening but the highlight was simply her voice. There is just nothing like it.

Just wanted to share...
Elizabeth
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby Nicoleee » Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:48 pm

Saw Brandi today at a free stage for BOS radio...

Tried to write down a setlist, but lost a few due to my gettin' down and feelin' free:

My Song
Follow
LML
Fall Apart Again
It Ain't Me (cover)
Have You Ever
Closer To You
I've Just Seen a Face (Beatles)
Turpentine
Downpour
The Story
encore:
Someday Never Comes
Folsom Prison Blues (Cash)

(maybe missed 1 or 2)

she was on as usual... she did an a capella yodeling song when the sound on both acoustic guitars went out... hot.

i also got tickets to her orpheum show in october yesterday during the presale.

gorgeous day in the park with miss carlile, peeps.
I said to the sky
Do you want me to fly
The sky said, No
Ain't your turn to go

http://amillionkites.blogspot.com/
Nicoleee
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby Mis » Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:36 pm

Yay! :D Thanks for the report. Gonna be seeing her in Philly on Oct. 1 and can't wait!
Liars
are lying
Airplanes
are flying
Love isn't here
Love isn't here
But it's somewhere...
Mis
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

PreviousNext

Return to Music. (Other than Patty!)