Brandi Carlile

Yes, there's a whole world of music out there besides Patty.

Moderator: gillian

Postby Arlene » Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:00 am

FYI. Some terrific video concert footage of Brandi at the Live Nation concert series here: http://attblueroom.com/music/mediaplaye ... 20Downpour
"You've got to sing like you don't need the money, love like you'll never get hurt. You've got to dance like no one is watching. It's gotta come from the heart, if you want it to work."
~Susannah Clark

"Ginger Rogers did everything that Fred Astaire did. She just did it backwards and in high heels." ~Molly Ivins

"If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes, only sooner."
~Tallulah Bankhead

Arlene
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Kelsea » Sat Sep 15, 2007 5:47 pm

Hi guys, so I just went to a mind blowing Brandi Carlile concert last night. Everyone says she’s amazing live, but I couldn’t even fathom that show being so fun. I rarely dance or move around much at live shows, I guess I’m more of a music observer, but there was just no way to stay still. I had taken down the set list, but lost it after the show, I’m did my best to stitch back together what I could. I believe there were 3 new songs and 3 covers. I’ve got videos of most these and a few more songs from the albums. I will upload most on youtube, except for the new songs. However if there is anyone that would like to see those videos shoot me a PM and I’ll work something out as soon as I get them uploaded. Some of the more enlightened Brandi fans may recognize the new ones. Hands down one of the most fun/ energetic concerts I’ve ever been to. The turnout was impressive, I was afraid it might not be so good given the whole Arizona thing (Brandi said the same thing) but the majority seemed to be diehard fans who have known her for a while. My friend Linda who came with me has been thoroughly converted to a Brandi fanatic, and I think I’ve finally convinced her that folk/ indie music is the way to go. My good deed for the year is done :D I also caught a pick (with my hair lol). I hadn’t realized that she had thrown multiple picks and was following one that landed a couple yards away, then moved my head looking to see who caught it and one fell to the ground. Everyone around me went apeshit trying to find it, but as it turns I was standing on it. Thus proving that I am a total goofball, which is fine since I came away with one of Brandi’s picks. Here’s what I could come up with for a set list, they are not in order and I am missing quite a few. There were at least 19 songs.

Late morning Lullaby
What Can I Say
Closer to You
Follow
Have You Ever (yay)
Happy (more yay, probably my fave)
Folsom Prison Blues (umm, hell yeah)
Hallelujah (I have to put it up there with Wainwright’s version)
The Story
Turpentine
Cannonball
Madman Across the River (nailed it with a Brandi twist)
Until I Die
Sixteen, Too cool for High school, Must Have Been, Long Break, My Friend Again (possible titles)
Cannonball
My song
I write these songs for you/ I Write These Words for You (something along those lines)
* There was one other song I couldn’t figure out a title for, but I’ve got the video.

A few song details… After ‘Happy’ several audience members kept shouting out “Whose Amber Lee?” Brandi responded “Do you really want to know (she sounded hesitant to say why or confused as to why we wanted to know) then said “umm okay”. She told us Amber Lee was a childhood friend, and had connections through her father to an Elvis impersonation group whom Brandi ended up singing backing vocals for. I can’t remember the whole explanation but I believe Brandi said AL moved and soon after she wrote ‘Happy’. She was very young at the time but I can’t recall what age. Brandi introed (sp?) FPB by saying “I hope you don’t mind me getting a little country on you”. To preface MATR she polled the audience on our favorite Elton John albums, she listed at least 6 of them. I cannot remember (surprise, surprise) what she said was her personal fave, but I think it was ‘Captain Fantastic and the Brown Dirt Cowboy’. I do not know the title but for the one I guessed ‘Sixteen’ on Brandi had a very heartfelt explanation of the song. “When I was sixteen I lost my friend to suicide, he was sixteen too, and he killed himself. I was really so furious about it at the time, that I never really dealt with it for a long long time. I was really judgmental towards him, which I see is wrong now. And it’s probably cause I was Baptist, which is fine, but it’s hard being a sixteen year old Baptist, my foresight wasn’t super clear”. She made a few more comments before going into the song. The song itself was very relatable/ sweet and resonated perfectly with the given intro. Lastly before the other song of which I am unsure of the title (I Write These Songs For You) Brandi told the crowed someone had came up to her (maybe after a show) and told her “the lyrics to her songs are to depressing and bring them down”. Brandi and the audience thought that was a load of shit by the way. I know there were more little tidbits but I didn’t write much down besides the set list, which I lost anyways. Sorry for the scattered review, but a little better than nothing I hope. I’ll post again about the video
Last edited by Kelsea on Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kelsea
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby Mis » Sat Sep 15, 2007 8:41 pm

Super review, Kelsea! :D Can't wait to see the vids. BTW...people from Brandi's forum (www.againtoday.com) are posting the new songs to YouTube, so you're probably ok doing so if you want to. I am so psyched to see her on Oct. 1 here in Philly! :D
Liars
are lying
Airplanes
are flying
Love isn't here
Love isn't here
But it's somewhere...
Mis
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby libraryliz » Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:18 am

Hey all!
It's been forever since I've been around these parts but I thought you'd want to hear this -
Brandi Carlile played at the http://www.llbean.com/ concert series while she was on tour with the Indigo Girls this summer - her show is on their website.

The IG's come out and sing on Cannonball at about the 40 minute mark and she plays Folsom Prison Blues around the 33 minute mark.

The link is right on the front page.
I'm personally upset that they didn't include the Indigo part of the concert but whatever, LLBean, I'm still gonna wear your coats - they're warm!

Liz
libraryliz
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby lily » Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:29 am

Though I've never made myself known among these forum parts, I'd like to follow up on the concert Friday night.
Coming onstage in a Boy Scouts uniform reminiscent of Linda Ronstadt, she sat down at the piano and went straight into Love Song during which there was some incredible feedback causing her to joke, "You guys hear that big, loud special effect that we did on purpose, it sounded like that. Yeah we're getting high tech up here."

She said "hello Phoenix" before starting Late Morning Lullaby and then Closer To You. She said that the first time she'd been in Phoenix was opening
for Tori Amos which received cheers. She laughed and asked if people actually went to that before playing Follow which she told Tim after that she "liked his new ending".

She flung a pick into the audience causing a few shrieks and said, "I know that's so Bon Jovi to throw picks, but I fuckin' like Bon Jovi and I like throwing picks when I'm on stage," before playing Have You Ever.

"You guys are great, so good. Why haven't we been to Phoenix before? I'm feeling the UFO theme songs tonight." She explained how the night before they had been driving from San Diego with their guitar tech (who is a hairdresser, she said, "hey, you can come... tune guitars... do our hair") and they were looking at the stars at 4 in the morning and their really quiet bus driver said, "I reckon tonight's he kind of night you see UFOs" and they were like, "You've seen UFO's?" and he said, "I've seen some things." Then she sang the last line of Have You Ever again and played Until I Die.

After several minutes of re-tuning she switched to another guitar to have an electric duel, switched back and said "This is my first song" before My Song.The little Martin was brought out and she did Happy.

Someone in the audience asked who Emily was, and she answered that when she "was 15, I sang background vocals for an Elvis impersonator. I love Elvis Presley. My best friend was named Amber Lee, and her dad was the Elvis impersonator." She explained how they were 14 and over at Amber Lee's house and her dad's band was downstairs and that she knew all of the backing vocals because of how "integrated the country songs are" and they went down and sang and then were part of the band. She said that Amber Lee and her family had moved to Vegas and so "now you know". After Cannonball she said "the Indigo Girls sing back up on that on the record, so I call them (the twins) the Twindigo Girls cause I'm that funny." She asked if it was alright if they played a new song and told a story about how someone pissed her off one time by "saying my lyrics were depressing and brought them down, but that's kinda the point" so she wrote this called, I Write These Words.

They did Turpentine and she stopped to ask if we could sing. She divided the room into three parts and taught us the harmony parts for the end.
She asked if "you guys love Elton John? I love him." (Audience screams) "What's your favorite song? 'Captain Fantastic'? That's my favorite. 'Goodbye Yellow Brick Road'? 'Madman Across The Water'?" She played Madman Across the Water and said that we were incredible and that she was so scared to come to Phoenix and was thinking that nobody was gonna come.

With a special thanks to VH1 she played The Story and left the stage.
For the encore she came out and asked if we "mind if we get a little country? This is a song by the late, great Johnny Cash" and played Folsom Prison, then What Can I Say and then Pride and Joy.

Someone asked if they could get a ride to Tucson with them and Brandi joked that she'd drive us all to Tucson and that "Alison from Fine Frenzy will let anyone on the bus and we'll drive to Tucson and she'll buy you a shot when we get there."
She said she wanted to play a new song, but it took her a long time to tune up so she said, "I really like it. So I gotta make sure the tuning's right. When I was 16, I lost a friend to suicide. He was 16 too and he killed himself." She said how she was furious and that she was judgmental being a Baptist and that she never had really dealt with it. She said her "foresight wasn't clear, being a 16-year-old Baptist" but that she had made peace with it and wrote this song, something to the effect of You're My Friend Again.

She said we were a great audience and that they were trying to do more at the merch table than just "shirts and shit like that. Last time we did vinyls and this time it's lithographs with the venue name. There's only like 20 per show so you might wanna grab one on the way out." She also mentioned that she had signed them all before the show. The thanked us for making it so fun for her and that "this one's for you" before playing "Hallelujah" and then she left the stage.

And I was fortunate enough to get a photo pass so here are photos:

http://flickr.com/photos/nwagner/sets/7 ... 025670137/
lily
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby PCStuff » Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:11 am

Greats posts & links. Thanks so much!
PCStuff
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby Kelsea » Tue Sep 18, 2007 5:18 pm

Alright I've got most of the videos uploaded on youtube. I'm still working on Madman Across the River, not sure what to do since it's over 100MB. That was one of the best songs from the night so I'll have to figure something out. Thanks for the help Mis, I need stop in at againtoday more often. Any suggestions on how to post MATR are welcome.
Kelsea
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby becmurr » Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:24 pm

Someone sent me a copy of a show from 10/7/07 from Burlington VT-with a Fine Frenzy, if anyone is interested-PM me.....
becmurr
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby lily » Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:35 am

I just wanted to post the link for the interview with Brandi I did at the beginning of the month

http://www.uncommonmusic.org/2009/inter ... i-carlile/

I how much do I LOVE my job?
lily
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby Mis » Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:28 pm

So, I'm gonna be up at the Brandi show in NYC on Oct. 3. Any other PNetters going? Would love to see some of you guys! :)
Liars
are lying
Airplanes
are flying
Love isn't here
Love isn't here
But it's somewhere...
Mis
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby Arlene » Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:48 pm

Mis wrote:So, I'm gonna be up at the Brandi show in NYC on Oct. 3. Any other PNetters going? Would love to see some of you guys! :)

Hmmmmm. I'll be in San Francisco attending the Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival then and I think that I'll be watching Neko Case at around the same time Brandi will be taking the stage at The Beacon. I'm so sorry I'll be missing you.

A belated HAPPY BIRTHDAY! It's been far too long since I've seen you.

Arlene
"You've got to sing like you don't need the money, love like you'll never get hurt. You've got to dance like no one is watching. It's gotta come from the heart, if you want it to work."
~Susannah Clark

"Ginger Rogers did everything that Fred Astaire did. She just did it backwards and in high heels." ~Molly Ivins

"If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes, only sooner."
~Tallulah Bankhead

Arlene
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Mis » Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:46 pm

Agreed, Arlene. Hope you have fun at HSBG though - looks like a great lineup as always. Hope to be getting to NYC more often now that I am not quite so broke!
Liars
are lying
Airplanes
are flying
Love isn't here
Love isn't here
But it's somewhere...
Mis
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby saturdayboy » Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:34 pm

quick one word review of Brandi's new album: BRILLIANT!!!
"i never understood my failings then,
and i hide my humble hopes now"
saturdayboy
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby PCStuff » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:41 pm

I have to say for me personally, this new album is my favorite album of the year, and that is saying a lot. It melted me into a puddle.
PCStuff
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby lily » Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:04 am

Seriously. I've been trying to review the dang thing for almost two weeks now and I'll be darned if I can pick a place to start. I'm tempted to write "It's amazing. Go buy it." and call it good.

On a sidenote, I forgot to post links to the reviews of the last two shows of her I went to,
Last month in Boulder
http://www.uncommonmusic.org/2009/conce ... torium-co/
I finally got to meet her at this show, we talked about dogs (Peanut got to meet her too), she was super sweet!

And the Aggie in Fort Collins from April: http://www.uncommonmusic.org/2009/conce ... heater-co/
-There were some great bits of banter at this show.
lily
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

PreviousNext

Return to Music. (Other than Patty!)