Audio Archives

Yes, there's a whole world of music out there besides Patty.

Moderator: gillian

Postby kcguy » Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:03 am

CKUA Radio Network, a Canadian radio station has an archives page. There are a lot of artists there whom I'm not familiar with (a fair percentage of them Canadian), but there is a recent interview and performance by Eliza Gilkyson. Some of the others (whom I do know of) are:

Linda Ronstadt
Marianne Faithfull
Patty Larkin
Jim Cuddy (Blue Rodeo)
Greg Keelor (Blue Rodeo)
Ron Sexsmith
k.d. lang
Katy Moffat

On MPR: The Current, there have been a lot of good guests recently, including a Sept. 14th interview/performance by Eliza Gilkyson and a Sept. 27th interview/performance by Hem.

In the MVY (Martha's Vinyard) Radio archives, they have recently archived interviews and performances from artists at the 2006 Americana Music Conference in Tennessee (not to be confused with the up-coming 2006 Americana Music Festival where Patty will be appearing). They include:

Hem
Kim Richey (she does a wonderful cover of Cake's "Mexico")
Carrie Rodriguez
Paul Thorn
The Waybacks
Diana Jones (I love Diana Jones! She'll be at the Americana Music Festival.)
and
Performance highlights from the AMA Awards Show, 2006. Artists include (in order) Charlie Daniels, Kevin Welch / Kieran Kane / Fats Kaplan, Robinella, The Instrumentalist of the Year nominees (Tim O’Brien / Sam Bush / Jerry Douglas / Kenny Vaughn), James Hunter, James McMurtry, Delbert McClinton, Alejandro Escovedo, Marty Stuart and His Fabulous Superlatives, Sam Bush, Rodney Crowell, Elvis Costello w/ Allen Toussaint, All-Star Band Jam (covering “Blowin’ in the Wind”) Hosted by Jim Lauderdale.

diana jones - pony (ascap showcase 9-20-06)
kcguy
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby kcguy » Sat Dec 02, 2006 8:22 am

KUT live performances are now archived at: http://www.kut.org/items/tag/live_performance.

They've redone their website and I couldn't find the archives anymore, so I emailed them. They have since added a "vault" button to the page.
Unfortunately, they quit archiving the live performances from the last couple of years. Possibly the sound is a little better, though I'm not sure; you have to use their (flash) player now and it is pretty simple: on, off and volume.
kcguy
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby kcguy » Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:10 pm

KUMD On Demand Jukebox

On KUMD, there are interviews/performances by Eliza Gilkyson, Dar Williams, Martin Sexton, John Gorka, Ellis Paul, Tom Russell, Todd Snider, Greg Brown, Cliff Eberhardt, and lots of others. I listened to the Eliza Gilkyson program; it was about an hour long and she performed 5 songs.
kcguy
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby Turk » Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:32 pm

There are some great old OLD vintage concerts and shows at:

http://www.wolfgangsvault.com/Home.aspx

I listened to a live performance by Tracy Chapman from 1980something last night. Outstanding.
There are a kazillion artists like Allman Bros, Doobies, Taj Mahal, James Taylor, Van Morrison.....too many to name. A ton of shows taped at the Fillmore West and East, The Bottom Line, Winterland....and the quality is superb on most that I've heard.

If you're into the older stuff and haven't already been here, this is a must listen. You have to register but it's relatively painless.

Wanna relive the music of the 60s and 70s on? Go here.

This is a paid advertisement for people who cling to the past and still believe in the changes reflected in many of the songs contained within. Not responsible for acid flashbacks and the urge to flash peace signs.
Last edited by Turk on Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Turk
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby kcguy » Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:57 am

That is a great site, Thanks! I think I'll be spending many hours listening there. :D
kcguy
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby TontoBronto » Wed Dec 20, 2006 7:23 am

Turk wrote:There are some great old OLD vintage concerts and shows at:

http://www.wolfgangsvault.com/Home.aspx

Wanna relive the music of the 60s and 70s on? Go here.

This is a paid advertisement for people who cling to the past and still believe in the changes reflected in many of the songs contained within. Not responsible for acid flashbacks and the urge to flash peace signs.

I hadn't realized the background of the site mentioned, but wolfgang apparently paid $5 million for Bill Graham's collection (so it's not surprising there are a LOT of Fillmore shows).
Some artists are not too crazy about the music being streamed
[size =69][/img][quote]
TontoBronto
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby kcguy » Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:45 am

There are so many torrent sites that offer live music by all of these artists, especially the Grateful Dead, and they aren't (apparently) being sued. What's the difference? "Wolfgang's vault" isn't charging any money for people to listen. I just went to the music; I didn't pay any attention to what they were selling. If they are selling t-shirts and posters and the artists aren't getting a cut from their image being used, I would think they would sue for that reason.

Now if these are concerts that are marketed or going to be marketed by the artists in the future, that's different.

Doesn't sound like this site is going to be around very long. :(
kcguy
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby Turk » Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:32 pm

Yeah, it's looks like Wolfgang expanded his enterprise into every avenue besides the music. It doesn't surprise me that Bob Weir is upset. He and the Dead have always relied on merchandise sales......and drugs.

Of course, I don't blame them for suing. And I agree. Wolfie will probably have to cough up more dough for what he's already sold by illegally using the artists' likenesses.
Turk
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby kcguy » Sat Mar 17, 2007 6:55 pm

MVY Radio goes to SWSX every year and records performances and/or interviews w/ in-studio performances by lot of musicians. So far (Wednesday through Friday) they include:

John Hammond - Performance, Back Porch Records Showcase

Serena Ryder - Interview w/ Performance
- Performance

Viktor Krauss - Performance, Back Porch Records Showcase
- Interview

Eilen Jewell - Interview w/ Performance
- Extra: cover of Hank Williams' "I Can't Help It If I'm Still In Love With You"

Emerson Hart - Interview w/ Performance

Vienna Teng - Performance
- Extra: Cover set (James Taylor, Damien Rice...)

James McMurtry - Interview w/ Performance (contains explicit language)
- Extra: cover of Townes Van Zandt

James Walsh of Starsailor - Interview w/ Performance
- Extra: cover of Rolling Stones' "You Can't Always Get What You Want"

The Pines - Interview w/ Performance
- Performance
- Extra: cover of Spider John Koerner's "I Ain't Blue"

Winterpills - Interview w/ Performance
- Extra: cover of Michael Grace's "Burning Hearts"

Lynn Miles - Interview w/ Performance
- Performance, Red House Records Showcase
- - Extra: performance of Tom Waits' "Grapefruit Moon"

Jesse Sykes - Interview w/ Performance

Holmes Brothers - Interview w/ Performance

Jimmy LaFave - Interview w/ Performance
- Performance, Red House Records Showcase

Michelle Shocked
- Interview w/ Performance

Ray Bonneville - Interview w/ Performance
- Performance, Red House Records Showcas
- Extra: performance of "My Name's New York" (to words by Woody Guthrie)

Storyhill
- Interview w/ Performance
- Performance
- Extra: cover of Paul Simon's "American Tune"

Garland Jeffreys
- Interview

Money Mark - Interview w/ Performance
- Extra: instrumental performance of "Here's That Rainy Day"

JJ Grey - Interview
- Extra: cover of Tim Rose's "Long Time Man"

Hoots And Hellmouth - Performance

Gurf Morlix - Interview w/ Performance,
- Extra: cover of Bob Dylan's "With God On Our Side"

Emerson Hart - Interview w/ Performance
- Performance, Back Porch Records Showcase

Carrie Rodriguez - Performance, Back Porch Records Showcase

Anais Mitchell - Interview w/ Performance
- Extra: performance of "The Wall"
- Extra: cover of Cyndi Lauper's "Time After Time"

All of this is archived on MVY. :D
kcguy
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby kcguy » Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:07 am

"Sugarmegs" is now archiving live music recordings (downloads of windows medio audio or video, available between 5pm and 9am eastern daily and all weekend) on "darkstar". Archives from before 11-30-06 are still archived at "sugaree" and "boxofrain". There is a list of the daily additions at "darkstar".

KEXP has tons of archived in-studio performances and concerts (much of it by artists I am unfamiliar with). Some of the artists include "Uncle Earl" (Abigail Washburn), ""Hem", "Kristin Hersh", "My Morning Jacket", "Eleni Mandell", "Billy Bragg", "Damien Jurado", "Iron & Wine with Calexico", "Sufjan Stevens" and many others. The more you dig into the site, the more music you can find.
kcguy
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby Turk » Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:09 pm

kcguy wrote:"Sugarmegs" is now archiving live music recordings (downloads of windows medio audio or video, available between 5pm and 9am eastern daily and all weekend) on "darkstar". Archives from before 11-30-06 are still archived at "sugaree" and "boxofrain". There is a list of the daily additions at "darkstar".

Wow, these are incredible.
Thanks for posting them, y'all. :D
Turk
Top of the World
Top of the World

Previous

Return to Music. (Other than Patty!)