Joan Baez

Yes, there's a whole world of music out there besides Patty.

Moderator: gillian

Joan Baez

Postby Arlene » Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:27 am

Today is Joan Baez's 65th birthday. Last night, I relistened to her second album, the eponymously titled one that includes Mary Hamilton and Silver Dagger and All My Trials and House of the Rising Sun. WHAT A VOICE!!!

IMHO, every female who ever grew her hair long, put on a pair of jeans and sang a song accompanying herself on a guiter owes her a debt. It's hard to remember today how influential she was-- at 19 she was on the cover of Time Magazine (when that really meant something). She set the standard for combining musical artistry with political activism. Everyone from Emmylou Harris to Ani DiFranco, from Odetta to Aimee Mann, from Joni Mitchell to Melissa Ferrick-- they all followed in her footsteps.

Happy birthday Her Joanness.
"You've got to sing like you don't need the money, love like you'll never get hurt. You've got to dance like no one is watching. It's gotta come from the heart, if you want it to work."
~Susannah Clark

"Ginger Rogers did everything that Fred Astaire did. She just did it backwards and in high heels." ~Molly Ivins

"If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes, only sooner."
~Tallulah Bankhead

Arlene
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Mis » Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:36 pm

A wonderful tribute, Arlene. :)

I got really into Joan when I was in my "pure folkie" phase in early high school - after being obsessed with Suzanne Vega for several years I pretty much listened to only '60s folk (and IG and Suzanne and Shawn and their ilk), and Joan's influence on everyone who came after became clearly apparent as I got to know her style and her message. It really kind of opened my eyes to the fact that there can be anger in femininity, that being a woman and being political are not diametrically opposed (which I'd learned from my mother too, but was really strengthened by Joan's music), and that even people like Sinead O'Connor had taken all that Joan laid out and run with it.

Did you know that Odetta was actually responsible for getting Joan on the bill at the 1959 Newport Folk Festival? She wasn't originally on the bill, but Odetta and her manager/partner managed to get Joan a slot. I have a wonderful video of Odetta and Joan singing an impromptu blues song where Odetta sings about the whole process during the 25th anniversary concert for Folk City in NY. It's a neato deal. :)
Liars
are lying
Airplanes
are flying
Love isn't here
Love isn't here
But it's somewhere...
Mis
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby Rob » Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:02 pm

For all our friends across the pond....

http://www.joanbaez.com/tourschedule.html

I last saw her play about three years ago and her voice was more than still going strong, it was still a revelation.

I will look forward to seeing her this summer. It's been too long.
You can't really dust for vomit.

-- Nigel Tufnel
Rob
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby keith from ny » Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:50 pm

I always admired her activism and I never liked her singing. In fact I think I dozed off during Joe Hill at Woodstock (hey, it was late).

Happy birthday anyway to a great lady!
I don't know nothing except change will come
keith from ny
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Gerry » Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:16 pm

New 2008 dates have been posted on Joan's web page;

03/21/08
The Egg
Empire State Plaza
Albany, NEW YORK

03/22/08
Zeiterion PAC
684 Purchase Street
New Bedford, MASSACHUSETTS

03/24/08
Waterville Opera House
Main Street
Waterville, MAINE

03/25/08
Lebanon Opera House
51 North Park Street
Lebanon, NEW HAMPSHIRE

03/28/08
Sanders Theatre
Harvard University
Cambridge, MASSACHUSETTS

03/29/08
Bergen County Performing Arts Center
Englewood, NEW JERSEY

03/31/08
Paramount Center for the Arts
1009 Brown Street
Peekskill, NEW YORK

I hope to get to one of the shows. I've never seen her perform live. I don't think it will be at the Egg theater.
Anyone want to go with me to the Paramount show?

Gerry
Gerry
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby KarenL » Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:19 am

I'd love to see Joan. I wish I could go to the Peekskill show, but it's a weeknight. I'm hoping I can see her in Cambridge or New Bedford, though! Thanks for posting her tour dates, Gerry.
KarenL
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Return to Music. (Other than Patty!)