Amplifico

Yes, there's a whole world of music out there besides Patty.

Moderator: gillian

Amplifico

Postby Mis » Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:25 pm

Yes, another band recommendation from Mis. LOL

I learned about Amplifico on the KT forum. They're a Scottish 4-piece lead by the dynamite Donna Maciocia, whose voice could melt a frozen tundra. She's also pals with KT Tunstall and has provided backing vocals on KT's live acoustic CD/DVD that is to be released in April. They play kind of jazzy/theatrical/unclassifiable tunes - very different from KT - kind of a modern rock take on old standard type melodies, but they write and play all original songs. I think they're amazing...incredible guitar and rhythm and melody work that's very innovative and unique.

They have a MySpace page at: http://www.myspace.com/amplifico

Their website is: http://www.amplifico.net

They have free mp3s on their site, and I HIGHLY encourage you to check their Blog and DL their podcasts, which are not only hilariously funny, but also give a real insight into their process, what it's like to be struggling musicians trying to make it, etc.

There's also a really great introduction to them and their music on the Tartan Podcast, which is a podcast that highlights Scottish musicians. You can listen/DL here: http://media.libsyn.com/media/tartanpodcast/tpsls14.mp3

Check 'em out. :)
Liars
are lying
Airplanes
are flying
Love isn't here
Love isn't here
But it's somewhere...
Mis
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby Mis » Mon Feb 27, 2006 8:34 pm

Just wanted to bump this, because I finally got their studio EP and it's stellar. Check em out! :)
Liars
are lying
Airplanes
are flying
Love isn't here
Love isn't here
But it's somewhere...
Mis
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby marmalade » Tue May 22, 2007 2:44 pm

I'm going to see them for the first time in Edinburgh on Thursday night. I'm really looking forward to it. I'll let you know what I think Mis :)
marmalade
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby Mis » Tue May 22, 2007 3:53 pm

Oh YAY! :) Have a wonderful time. :D

I'm headed over for their Highland Musical Safari weekend (they go up to the Highlands and play tiny little pubs in small villages and everyone camps out on the grounds, then moves on to the next village) in August, and I can't WAIT. I've made some wonderful real-life friends on their forum, and consider the band members pals, as well. I can't wait to finally meet them and see them play! Please tell them hi from me if you get a chance to chat with them. :)
Liars
are lying
Airplanes
are flying
Love isn't here
Love isn't here
But it's somewhere...
Mis
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby marmalade » Wed May 23, 2007 4:40 am

Mis wrote:Please tell them hi from me if you get a chance to chat with them. :)

Will do :) The Highland Safari sounds like fun. I'll keep my fingers crossed for good weather. Hopefully you will be lucky but the weather is just so unpredictable over here and things can change very, very quickly. I worked as a steward at the Ascott Music Festival last July and it was abandoned half way through after the most torrential and prolonged rain I've ever experienced in my entire life. The campsite was washed away and I nearly drowned in a sea of mud, I still have nightmares about it :(

If you find yourself anywhere near Edinburgh or Fife and you have any time to spare then please let me know :) It would be great to meet you.
marmalade
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby Mis » Wed May 23, 2007 8:24 am

marmalade wrote:If you find yourself anywhere near Edinburgh or Fife and you have any time to spare then please let me know :) It would be great to meet you.

Well I'm going to be over there for 2 weeks, staying with friends in Dundee - and we're planning on hitting the 'burgh for a few days, so I'll definitely keep you posted. Would totally be fun to meet up! :)
Liars
are lying
Airplanes
are flying
Love isn't here
Love isn't here
But it's somewhere...
Mis
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby marmalade » Wed May 23, 2007 1:40 pm

Mis wrote:
marmalade wrote:Well I'm going to be over there for 2 weeks, staying with friends in Dundee - and we're planning on hitting the 'burgh for a few days, so I'll definitely keep you posted. Would totally be fun to meet up! :)

Excellent. I look forward to it :D
marmalade
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby marmalade » Thu May 24, 2007 11:31 am

I've just found out that some friends are going to the King Tut's gig in Glasgow so I've decided to wait until the Sunday and go to this one instead.

It's a much better venue and I get a day out in Glasgow as well. Can't wait :D
marmalade
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby Mis » Thu May 24, 2007 6:44 pm

Cool....King Tut's is pretty neato from what I hear. :) Can't wait to hear what you think! :)
Liars
are lying
Airplanes
are flying
Love isn't here
Love isn't here
But it's somewhere...
Mis
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby Mis » Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:36 pm

Mis singing with Amplifico in Altandhu, Scotland! :D (All grunged out after 4 days of camping, so forgive the grung-y-ness.)

Liars
are lying
Airplanes
are flying
Love isn't here
Love isn't here
But it's somewhere...
Mis
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby Mis » Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:19 am

The 'fico has released a really good 3-song EP called Logic Kills the Fire, which you can download for free from their website. You just have to register first. :D www.amplifico.net

Their full-length album, See Heart, See Muscle, is released March 3 - you can get it via iTunes, Rhapsody, etc. It's awesome - you should get it!

I'm going back over there for the CD launch party on March 1. :D :D :D
Liars
are lying
Airplanes
are flying
Love isn't here
Love isn't here
But it's somewhere...
Mis
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby Mis » Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:41 am

I know I'm basically talking to myself in this thread, but hey, I'm just gonna keep talking.

I just got back a couple of weeks ago from seeing Amplifico in Edinburgh for their debut album launch gig, and it was insanely awesome. I got up and sang with them a couple of nights later at Acoustic Edinburgh (think Session Americana, Scottie style). Guys, they're SO good. Anyway...

If you have an extra $10, please pick up their album, "See Heart, See Muscle." It's available now for download via iTunes, Rhapsody, Sony Connect, 7digital, etc., or you can order a physical copy from their merch store: www.shopcreator.com/mall/amplifico (which will cost you a bit more than $10 due to the lovely UK-US exchange rate). There's also free stuff for DL on their website, both in the news section and in the downloads section: www.amplifico.net.

If you dig on theatrical, quirky, distortion-y, jazzy pop, this is the album for you. I've had demos of these tracks for years, and hearing them in their full studio glory is like watching a kid grow up and go on to have a happy, successful life of its own.

Btw...I'm helping Amplifico to send out press packs here in the US. If there is a radio station near you that you think would give them some air time, please PM me with the details. Thanks!

These guys are the real deal - SUPER cool, down-to-earth, inspired, amazing people, and incredible musicians. Please check 'em out!
Liars
are lying
Airplanes
are flying
Love isn't here
Love isn't here
But it's somewhere...
Mis
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Return to Music. (Other than Patty!)