Teddy Thompson

Yes, there's a whole world of music out there besides Patty.

Moderator: gillian

Postby Turk » Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:26 am

Tonight Will Be Fine is a live version of Leonard Cohen's song redone by Teddy. I'm thinking that the laugh at the beginning is Leonard's dubbed in for whatever reason.

The mp3 is available for 7 days.
Turk
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby marybeth » Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:45 am

Thank you guys so much for introducing me to Teddy Thompson. I've now got his debut CD, Upfront and Down Low and Separate Ways, (plus his single from Brokeback Mountain, I Don't Want to Say Goodbye) and I absolutely love him. His voice, the production, the songwriting, everything. MB has a new obsession.
http://www.marybethdamico.com

Some people don't care if they live or they die
Some people want to know what it feels like to fly

Americana: "a nebulous category of misfits and acquired tastes, many of whom seem to have worn cowboy hats at one time or another" LA Times article
marybeth
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby becmurr » Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:38 am

marybeth wrote:Thank you guys so much for introducing me to Teddy Thompson. I've now got his debut CD, Upfront and Down Low and Separate Ways, (plus his single from Brokeback Mountain, I Don't Want to Say Goodbye) and I absolutely love him. His voice, the production, the songwriting, everything. MB has a new obsession.

I know how you feel-I can't get enough of him!!!
becmurr
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby marybeth » Sat Feb 16, 2008 4:49 am

Does anyone know who sings with Teddy on the song "Untitled" from Upfront and Down Low? I ordered it off iTunes and can't find the info. It sounds like Julie Miller, but its apparently either Tift Merritt, Jeni Muldaur or Iris Dement.

Americana: "a nebulous category of misfits and acquired tastes, many of whom seem to have worn cowboy hats at one time or another" LA Times article
marybeth
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby bivester » Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:44 am

marybeth wrote:the song "Untitled" from Upfront and Down Low?

untitled?
"well, i'll bet you can't pronounce 'b-a-n-g-o-r' correctly any better than i can say 'louisville'... " ~patty to me after the kentucky theatre show

"and i'm so twitterpated about bill, i just tuned the wrong guitar...i said twitterpated, that's what i said." ~karin bergquist @ cst | dayton (sat | 04.09.2005)

bivester:concert photographs
bivester
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby marybeth » Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:35 pm

Yeah, I think its a hidden track of some kind. The last song on there...

marybeth
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Arlene » Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:02 pm

marybeth wrote:Does anyone know who sings with Teddy on the song "Untitled" from Upfront and Down Low? I ordered it off iTunes and can't find the info. It sounds like Julie Miller, but its apparently either Tift Merritt, Jeni Muldaur or Iris Dement.

The song is Don't Ask Me To Be Friends. I'm not sure who the female vocalist is and I've been wondering the same thing-- I've had no success in googling to find out but I've read reviews which say that Martha Wainwright has performed the song with him in concert so maybe it's her.
"You've got to sing like you don't need the money, love like you'll never get hurt. You've got to dance like no one is watching. It's gotta come from the heart, if you want it to work."
~Susannah Clark

"Ginger Rogers did everything that Fred Astaire did. She just did it backwards and in high heels." ~Molly Ivins

"If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes, only sooner."
~Tallulah Bankhead

Arlene
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby marybeth » Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:05 am

It REALLY sounds like Julie Miller to me, but then I don't know Martha's voice. I love this song.

marybeth
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby TontoBronto » Sun Feb 17, 2008 6:18 am

Short samples are available ---
http://www.teddythompson.com/music.aspx

There's a rundown of personnel, but nothing is listed for track 13 (i.e. Don't Ask Me to Be Friends). It COULD be Martha, but it doesn't really have her vocal idiosyncrasies (though she might well have suppressed them to do backup).

My educated guess is that the vocalist is the same as for track 9 Down Low, but I'm not familiar with that artist, and I'm basing my guess on two 30 second samples.
*_*_*_*_*_+*_
I asked someone on Jenni Muldaur's Myspace page about this. His response:
Yeah- that's jenni- She also sings on the title track of Linda Thompsons record "versatile heart" Teddy described Jenni at his Darfur Benefit this past December as his favorite singer, and they've been good friends for many years.
take care-
jimo
TontoBronto
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby TontoBronto » Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:31 pm

marybeth wrote:Does anyone know who sings with Teddy on the song "Untitled" from Upfront and Down Low? I ordered it off iTunes and can't find the info. It sounds like Julie Miller, but its apparently either Tift Merritt, Jeni Muldaur or Iris Dement.

Doesn't iTunes include a "Digital Booklet" with purchase of the entire CD??
Seem like personnel info would be in there......
TontoBronto
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby bivester » Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:06 pm

Tonto Yoder wrote:

Doesn't iTunes include a "Digital Booklet" with purchase of the entire CD??
Seem like personnel info would be in there......

it's apparently a "hidden" or "bonus" track, no references or notations about it in the liner notes/cd booklet.
"well, i'll bet you can't pronounce 'b-a-n-g-o-r' correctly any better than i can say 'louisville'... " ~patty to me after the kentucky theatre show

"and i'm so twitterpated about bill, i just tuned the wrong guitar...i said twitterpated, that's what i said." ~karin bergquist @ cst | dayton (sat | 04.09.2005)

bivester:concert photographs
bivester
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby marybeth » Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:41 pm

I sent a note with my question to Teddy's myspace, but no response....

marybeth
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Turk » Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:58 pm

I think it's Tift Merritt on Don't Ask Me To Be Friends.
Turk
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby sfboy » Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:56 pm

I haven't had time to pipe in, but I just gotta. Teddy is seriously amazing. I'm a recent fan, having seen him open for Suzanne Vega 2 months ago and then getting his CDs. Separate Ways is a masterpiece. I haven't been able to stop listening to it since the first spin in my car on a late Friday night drive over to Berkeley. I haven't liked anything as much in a long long time. And he's playing a show here in SF at the end of the month. Yay! I like his other two CDs a lot as well. I think that I Wish It Was Over is possibly the best break up (I mean, you just know they're going to break up two seconds after he recorded that song) song this side of Silver Springs. Or Getting Ready.

Kevin
sfboy
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby sfboy » Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:13 pm

Damn, he's even better live! He has one of the strongest male voices I've ever heard. Most male singers that I like have rough voices (i.e. Petty, Springsteen, Peter Himmelman, John Hiatt), but this guy has pipes. Usually guys with really good voices make me cringe because they do yucky (I know, very tenchnical term that) music, but not Teddy. He was just amazing, and funny, self-efacing, cute. I haven't been this much head over heals musically since, well, Patty.

Oh, and for all you fans, he said that he's just finished a new CD, but he sort of made a reference to it not being totally finished (I assume he meant production stuff), so I'm not sure how soon it'll be out, but I assume sometime this year. Yay!

Also, for all of those who have seen him live, I have one question. At the concert here in SF, the audience was mostly in the 40's to 60's range. I was surprised, since he's only in his early 30's, that there weren't more younger people there as well. I'm just wondering if that's just an SF thing and that in other parts of the country he has a younger fan base as well, or does his music appeal to an older crowd (of which I'm definetely a part of--I'm not being agist, I'm just curious).

Anyway, I'll be reliving that concert for a while.

Kevin
sfboy
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

PreviousNext

Return to Music. (Other than Patty!)