Teddy Thompson

Yes, there's a whole world of music out there besides Patty.

Moderator: gillian

Postby sfboy » Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:02 am

Also, I went on iTunes the other day and found 4 Teddy songs that aren't on any of his CDs. There's one from the Brokeback Mountain soundtrack (BTW, it's so weird, but I adored that movie and thought was one of the saddest movies ever, and I don't usually care at all about celebs, but H Ledger's death has made that movie even sadder. Anyone else?), two from a Leonard Cohen tribute, and 1from a Pirate CD. They're all great!

Kevin
sfboy
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby marybeth » Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:11 am

Is the first one "I Don't Want to Say Goodbye?" I love that one.
http://www.marybethdamico.com

Some people don't care if they live or they die
Some people want to know what it feels like to fly

Americana: "a nebulous category of misfits and acquired tastes, many of whom seem to have worn cowboy hats at one time or another" LA Times article
marybeth
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby sfboy » Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:16 am

That's the one. The other 3 are The Future, Tonight Will Be Fine, and Sally Brown.

Kevin
sfboy
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby Turk » Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:22 pm

sfboy wrote:That's the one. The other 3 are The Future, Tonight Will Be Fine, and Sally Brown.

Tonight Will Be Fine is just awesome. The Future I love by Leonard himself, not so much by Teddy (that would be my first ever thing I DON'T care for by Teddy). Haven't heard Sally Brown yet.

I am so loving In My Arms and the title cut from the new album.
Turk
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Arlene » Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:41 pm

Nice live acoustic set from Teddy Thompson on Acoustic Cafe:

http://www.mlive.com/cafe/
"You've got to sing like you don't need the money, love like you'll never get hurt. You've got to dance like no one is watching. It's gotta come from the heart, if you want it to work."
~Susannah Clark

"Ginger Rogers did everything that Fred Astaire did. She just did it backwards and in high heels." ~Molly Ivins

"If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes, only sooner."
~Tallulah Bankhead

Arlene
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby sfboy » Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:44 pm

Thanks, Arlene. I've turned some of my friends on to him, and 5 of them are going with Toni and me to see Teddy a month from now. He's headlining at the Great American Music Hall, a wonderful, small venue, AND it's a Friday night, AND he's playing with a band. All of which makes me super excited about the show. The woman at the box office told me that the show is selling really well and she thinks it'll be a standing show. Any of you want to come out? We can have a Teddy fest. Cheap tickets ($26) and a great venue.....

Kevin
sfboy
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby Turk » Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:56 pm

Thanks for that great link, Arlene. Enjoyed every second of it.

Have fun at your TeddyFest, Kevin. Wish I could attend.

I'm hoping to see Teddy and Tift Merritt at one of my favorite Atlanta venues on Sept. 6. What a great birthday present that would be!

Here's another Teddy interview from the Upfront and Down Low era. He does an awesome acoustic version of Down Low.
http://www.npr.org/blogs/bryantpark/200 ... the_1.html
Turk
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Turk » Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:54 pm

Saw Teddy and Tift Merritt last Saturday night at a small venue in midtown. They were co-billed but I was hoping Teddy would play last. Alas, he opened the show and played every song on the new album except for "Jonathan's Book." That was it. He left me wanting to hear so much more. I was a little disappointed but made the best of it. He sounded great and the band was terrific.

Tift Merritt put on a fantastic show.
Turk
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby marybeth » Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:37 pm

Aw man what I would give to see those two together!

I finally got my new Teddy album. I'm not even through it and I'm pretty sure I will love it. His voice just makes me melt...

Americana: "a nebulous category of misfits and acquired tastes, many of whom seem to have worn cowboy hats at one time or another" LA Times article
marybeth
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby sfboy » Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:48 am

We saw Teddy and his band last night headlining at the Great American Music Hall, a small club in SF. HE ROCKED!!! I simply do not understand how he is not more popular. His songs are completely accessible, his voice, as Marybeth said, makes you melt, and he's got a wonderful stage presence. He played almost all (or maybe all) the songs from the new CD, some old ones, a few new ones. I've only seen him by himself before and was really really looking forward to seeing him with a band and he did NOT disappoint. It was one of my favorite shows ever. Soooo much fun. I wish he were recording and selling his shows.

I saw that he's heading over to Britain to mostly open for James Blunt, which seems like a good combo, though I'm not a big James Blunt fan. As with Patty, on the one hand, it would be great if he stayed less well known so I could continue to see him in small venues, up close, for $25, but on the other hand, he's just toooooo damn good.

Wonderful wonderful wonderful show.

Kevin
sfboy
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby marybeth » Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:23 am

A nice BBC interview with Teddy here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/7651429.stm

marybeth
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby sfboy » Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:08 am

We saw Teddy open for the 2 guys from the Jayhawks last week. He was amazing, as usual. And he did a GREAT cover of....Super Trooper by Abba. Seriously, I have to get a copy of it. It was wonderful. Teddy is it. He's my male Patty...almost.

Kevin
sfboy
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Previous

Return to Music. (Other than Patty!)