Jolie Holland

Yes, there's a whole world of music out there besides Patty.

Moderator: gillian

Jolie Holland

Postby deaeterna » Mon May 01, 2006 12:53 pm

Anti- recording artist, Jolie Holland is preparing to release her 3rd album for the label on May 9 called Springtime Can Kill You, which the San Francisco Weekly has called her best record on all fronts in a recent article.

On Springtime, Jolie expands her musical palate beyond the guitar folk stylings of her breakthrough Escondida, in an ambitious, piano-driven song-cycle that owes as much to Mingus and Monk as it does to Woody Guthrie and Bessie Smith. To achieve Springtimes lush sound in the studio, Holland and band recorded live to tape for much of the album, in front of an audience of friends. The albums rich tones, swirling through Hollands unique storytelling, create both a departure from reality and something of rare beauty.

Click here for a link to a free mp3 of the title track of Springtime Can Kill You

The early reviews of Springtime have been great including the aforementioned feature in the SF Weekly and glowing praise from NPRs All Songs Considered

Here is a great review that just ran in Filter magazine:
Go back to a time of apple wine, clapboard shacks and half-empty cartons of cigarettes, dusty skirts from rambling roads and porch-sitting, with the sounds of creaking boards and crickets on the air. Under a tree with an open palm youll find Jolie Holland, singing of your troubles to keep hers away. This is her worldthe one far beyond her tangible southern rootsand on her third full-legnth she welcomes us back with an open arm and a jug of moonshine hugged tight with the other.

Shes Patsy Cline without the fringe, Billie Holiday minus Tin Pan Alley, and Feist without the Prozac. In Springtime, shes immersed in her realm once again, though shes traded in the Morphine and creepy, hillbilly-chic of Escondida for a sound thats a hint more melodic and just a touch less disturbed. Her screeching fiddle fades out, replaced by the delicate strums of campfires and beach blankets (Adieu False Heart, Stubborn Beast) and the piano-heavy smokiness of rustic bar tunes and warm liquor (Mexican Blue, Mehitibells Blues, the title track). This is still Jolies place, but the hint of a smile in the corners of her mouth makes it that much more welcoming.--Lesley Bargar

For more info, mp3s, etc, check out www.anti.com, MySpace, or www.jolieholland.com
deaeterna
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby Kim » Mon May 01, 2006 2:16 pm

I'm a fan so I'll definitely be looking for this one.

Thanks for the heads-up, Tracy.
Kim
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby PCStuff » Tue May 02, 2006 11:28 am

I bought her earlier CD's, and found them lacking in something. It's like I keep waiting for Jolie to develop into a great artist as I go from song to song. It seems like she puts about 60% of her soul into her music.

Now listening to clips from this latest album.....I'm again wanting to hear the rest of her spirit in her music, but it's not there. It's like seeing a great artist with great lyrics and tunes that was left in the wash & spin cycles too long. I wonder if she realizes how great she could really be.

Of course that's just my opinion, and you all know I still support President Bush, so you can discount my assessments if you wish.
PCStuff
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby Hugues » Sat May 06, 2006 11:38 am

With all due respect to you PC Stuff (and I had forgotten you still support Bush - but what does have to do with music? :wink: ), I disagree with you about Jolie Holland. I don't find her music lacking something. But you could be right about one thing (I had the pleasure to interview her by email): she has far more to say than what she says, and her songs are just 10 % of the magic she has inside her. She's absolutely haunted and captivating. But that doesn't keep her music and vocals from being 100 % great, to my heart and my ears. 8)
Hugues
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Jolie Holland

Postby deaeterna » Thu May 25, 2006 12:14 pm

From ANTI-...Jolie's latest is amazing! You guys should check her out if she makes it your way!

TMR

---

In support of her new, highly praised Anti- album, Springtime Can Kill You acclaimed singer/songwriter Jolie Holland will embark on a seven-week North American tour on June 14th. Launching in Eugene, Oregon and running through July 28th in Madison, Wisconsin, Hollands Stateside trek comes on the heels of some of her finest critical reviews to date.

Released May 9th, the inventive, magical Springtime Can Kill Y o u has met with vast accolades, eliciting imaginative, otherworldly depictions from music scribes worldwide. Entertainment Weekly gave Holland an A rating, calling her latest, proof folk music shouldnt just conjure the past, but also sit down and have a drink with it in the present. Meanwhile Elle called Jolies new disc arresting and said, [Hollands] lilting, weathered warble floats over screwball swing made from a junk shop orchestra that includes old pianos, whistles and the occasional tuba.

In a recent cover story on unconventional, Bay Area-based recording artist/muse, The San Francisco Weekly exclaimed, through beguiling contrasts and magical moments, Jolie Holland has emerged with a singular, elusive sound. Holland is every character in the fairy tale all at once: the petulant beast and the heart-melting beauty, the catastrophe and the deliverance. While Billboard succinctly remarked, In a perfect world, everyone would know the name Jolie Holland.

Although Holland wrote most of the material on her third Anti- release which rewards listeners with each successive listen her guitarist Brian Miller landed a co-writing credit on Springtime Can Kill You and Crush In The Ghetto, while her friend C.R. Avery crafted Crazy Dreams.

Most of the stories and words are mine, Holland says of Springtime Can Kill You . But there are a few instances in which I let other peoples songs tell the story because my voice is one of millions, just a tiny drop in an ocean of love songs.

Jolie Hollands U.S. tour dates are as follows:

6/14/2006
Sam Bonds Garage
Eugene
OR

6/15/2006
Aladdin Theatre
Portland
OR

6/16/2006
The Nightflight Lounge
Bellingham
WA

6/17/2006
Triple Door
Seattle
WA

6/21/2006
Urban Lounge
Salt Lake City
UT

6/23/2006
Boulder Theater
Boulder
CO

6/24/2006
Bluebird Theatre
Denver
CO

6/27/2006
Rhythm Room
Phoenix
AZ

6/28/2006
Casbah
San Diego
CA

6/29/2006
Safari Sams
Hollywood
CA

7/1/2006
Bimbos 365 Club
San Francisco
CA

7/11/2006
Canal Room
New York
NY

7/12/2006
Museum of Fine Arts
Boston
MA

7/13/2006
Higher Ground
Winooski
VT

7/14/2006
Tin Angel
Philadelphia
PA

7/15/2006
Jammin Java
Vienna
VA

7/16/2006
Gravity Lounge
Charlottesville
VA

7/18/2006
The Poor House
Raleigh
NC

7/19/2006
Orange Peel
Asheville
NC

7/20/2006
Eddies Attic
Decatur
GA

7/23/2006
The Dame
Lexington
KY

7/28/2006
High Noon Saloon
Madison
WI

1/19/2007
Orpheum Theatre
Sioux Falls
SD
deaeterna
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby RedEarth » Thu May 25, 2006 12:50 pm

I've been planning on this one. Will you be seeing her?
Jessica

I don't know but I'm set to find out, I don't know but I'm a gonna find out
RedEarth
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby deaeterna » Thu May 25, 2006 8:01 pm

I hope so, but the travel budget's slim pickings.

TMR
deaeterna
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby RedEarth » Sat Jun 24, 2006 12:07 pm

Seeing Jolie Holland the other day was more fun than I expected. Yes she keeps a pretty even pace, and straight face, but she has a way about her, snarling up her left lip and nostril regularly. I liked that. Her music was sounding pretty good, but I wished the place wasn't so noisy, I feel like we missed a fair amount of the detail of her voice, and that's a lot of her appeal. So anyway, good show, good style, good sound, just try to see her where the sound is clear.
Jessica

I don't know but I'm set to find out, I don't know but I'm a gonna find out
RedEarth
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby this_mess » Sat Jun 24, 2006 10:01 pm

I bought Escondida because I love Jolie Holland in the Be Good Tanyas' "Junkie Song", but I was rather disappointed with the CD. Maybe I'll give her another try sometime.
I'd like to get away from earth awhile
And then come back to it and begin over.

--Robert Frost
this_mess
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby TontoBronto » Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:52 am

Someone uploaded video from Holland's Hollywood show--
http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-deta ... ?id=110720

Unfortunately, it's a somewhat time-consuming process to download this to your computer, but maybe someone will upload video to YouTube or elsewhere where it's easier to quickly get a taste.
TontoBronto
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Russell » Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:56 pm

I don't know about anyone else, but being a Patty Griffin fan poses a problem -- my standards of what constitutes excitedly good music seem to have risen to a point that much of what I hear these days doesn't seem to excite me. I even understand now why some of Patty's fans can be critical of some of her more recent music simply because she has raised the bar so high that merely reaching that bar, much less surpassing it, is a challenge even for her.

That said, my first experience a couple of days ago learning about Jolie Holland and listening to her just-released album was exciting. Perhaps those who are already familiar with her music may not be as excited about her new album, but, in my opinion, it is good, good, good. Now I need to listen to her earlier albums.

If you want to hear her new album, The Living and the Dead, go to http://www.musicbythealbum.com/2008/10/08/jolie-holland-the-living-and-the-dead-2008/
Russell
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby Hugues » Sat Oct 11, 2008 8:32 am

Here's one of Jolie's new songs, "Mexico City" - ain't that great? Sure it is!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/v7q2_Zuda2s&hl=fr&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/v7q2_Zuda2s&hl=fr&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7q2_Zuda2s
Hugues
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby Russell » Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:44 pm

Hugues wrote:Here's one of Jolie's new songs, "Mexico City" - ain't that great? Sure it is!

Yep, it is. Thanks for posting it Hugues!
Russell
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby becmurr » Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:08 pm

Actually just started hearing her music recently on XM The Loft & then I saw her new album on Music By The Album :wink: -really like what I hear.....

Actually song just came on as I am posting-Sweet Loving Man
becmurr
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Return to Music. (Other than Patty!)