Linsey Buckingham's new CD

Yes, there's a whole world of music out there besides Patty.

Moderator: gillian

Postby sfboy » Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:44 am

Hi y'all. I know there are some Stevie/F Mac/Lindsey fans out there, so I'm hoping maybe some of you have some insider info. Lindsey's doing another solo tour starting in August. Evidently he's going to release that other solo Cd that he'd already basically finished when Under the Skin came out. The tour is called Gift of Screws, which I'm guessing is also the name of the new CD. My question is about the band for this tour. Does anyone know if he's using the same striped down 3-piece band that he used for the Under the Skin CD or a bigger band, something like what he used for the Out of the Cradle tour? If you know and can let me know, that would be great!

Thanks.

Kevin

p.s. Also, anyone know the release date for the new CD?
sfboy
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby lily » Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:46 pm

Hey Kevin...

I don't know much help I'll be, but Gift of Screws has been circulating much like Silver Bell for forever and a few days. I'm actually surprised you don't have a copy... I might have to help you remedy that.

Anyway, the track listing is as follows: (For the GoS that's circulating)

Someone's Gotta Change Your Mind*
Miranda*
Steal Your Heart Away*
Red Rover*
She Smiled Sweetly
Come*
Down on Rodeo*
Gotta Get Away
Try for the Sun*
Instrumentaly/Grunty track sometimes called Stevie's/Steve's (depending on your source and SnL thoughts) -- also called Wear You Down --- think "Big Love" without any pretenses of being a lyrical song but more an audio trip down somewhere nasty ending with knocked down doors, floors and such
Murrow*
Gift of Screws
Bleed to Love Her*
Twist of Fate
Go Insane (this is probably out of place. or he was just screwing around with it)
Say Goodbye*
Singer Not the Song

As you can see, the *d ones are already released somewhere, so from what we in Lindsey-land can tell, it appears that the new track listing will be:
1. "Great Day"
2. "Time Precious Time"
3. "Did You Miss Me"
4. "Wanna Wait for You"
5. "Love Runs Deeper"
6. "Bel Air Rain"
7. "The Right Place to Fade"
8. "Gift of Screws"
9. "Underground"
10. "Treason"

It will probably have Mick and John on some tracks, no Stevie (since it appears they may or may not be speaking right now) and should be out on Sept. 15th.

Hope that helps some.
lily
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby sfboy » Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:26 pm

Hey Nichole

How are you doing? I actually do have the Gift of Screws that had been circulating. Most of the tracks were either on Say You Will or Under the Skin, but it was fun to have them anyway. I just saw the track listing on his website, too. All of his tour dates have venues except for the SF show. I really hope he plays a small place. We'll see.

Did you ever see him live on his short tour for Out of the Cradle? He had this amazing band with I think 4 or 5 guitarists, and they had this wall of sound that was just amazing. He opened the show w/ Big Love and Go Insane, both solo, and then the band came out and the did Don't Look Down, and it was what I can only describe as a wall of amazing sound. Just amazing. I liked his last solo tour, too, though I think I went too many times (3) and by the last show, it was kind of boring, I have to say. All of his "chatter" is scripted, so each show sounds exactly like the one before, and even though the tour lasted about a year, on and off, he only slightly varied the set list. That's why I'm really hoping that this CD is much more upbeat (which I've heard it is) so that he'll have a bigger band. Anyway, I"m going to go to the SF show, but if he adds more shows and comes back, I probably won't go more than once.

As for Stevie, I"m kind of frustrated. She always prides herself on being such a prolific songwriter, but it's kind of all in her head, I think. I mean, it's what she wants to think she is. But look at Trouble in Shangrila, her last CD (which is a strong CD!). Sorcerer, Planets of the Universe, and Candlebrigtht (and I think Love Is, as well) were all really old songs. Then she didn't write Every Day or It's Only Love or Too Far From Texas. And she CO-wrote That Made Me Stronger, which is all about how she was forced into writing her own songs again by Tom Petty. Hmm.

Anyway, she's supposed to have all these songs in her vaults (or journals or wherever), yet she hasn't done a new CD in more than 7 years, and she's even doing (gasp!) Bob Seeger and Dave Matthews songs live. Come on, Stevie, throw us a bone and do soemthing new!!! I've read where she has said that with the music industry the way it is now, she doesn't feel like she can release a new CD. What????? If she isn't rich up the wazoo, then there's something really wrong. Just get Waddy and a piano player and a drum player and do a country CD. Or just go in the studio and do a real rock CD. Whatever.

And like you said, I get the feeling that she and Lindsey aren't on great terms. She's said that unless Christine comes back (big fat chance of that happening), she will never tour w/ F Mac again, yet Lindsey is saying that he wants to do a new F Mac CD, and I can't imagine that happening without a tour (that's how they rake in the cash, right?) Again, hmm.

Sorry if it sounds like I'm complaining. I love Stevie's music, but good grief, is it that hard, if you have all these songs, to do 2 or 3 CDs a decade??? Or do a new song live? Or pull out an old F Mac or old Stevie gem in concert (Bella Donna, Angel, Races are Run?) instead of trotting out friggin' Bob Seeger (no disrespect intended, Bob).

Anyway, hope you're seeing Lindsey. Sorry everyone for this way too long post.

Kevin
sfboy
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby lily » Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:38 pm

Hey Kevin, no sweat. I feel the same way on a lot of points. I'm freaking sick of Stevie being a diva. I know she's had it rough with her dad dying and stuff, but seriously, she needs to get off her butt and do something now.

It's nearly disgusting to know how many hundreds of songs she's got unreleased and to have her go around doing dumb covers. But the good news is that there have been a few buttkickings and she's actually working on a new album full of new stuff. Like actually new stuff. Not even pulled from the vaults (though I'm sure they'll have a bit of a crossover effect as she parts verses out all the time)

Really her problem is she's a fantastic moper. And she's been moping over her family and over Lindsey for nearly a decade now and heaven forbid she slow down enough from her tours to actually have to face up to the fact that the issues with Lindsey are actually in part caused by her own behavior so she's touring practically nonstop to avoid having to think about it. Which of course means no new album.

As far as Lindsey's OotC tour, I've seen video of it, but I was like, 6 when that tour happened so I didn't get to go see it. :)

He does work well with other musicians of equal caliber though, it'd be great to see him again.
lily
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby sfboy » Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:48 pm

Just wondering if anyone else is really liking Gift of Screws. I don't like all of the songs, but the ones I like I really really like. I have to say that this, in my opinion, is Lindsey's best solo effort, along with Out of the Cradle. A lot of really fun pop songs.

What do you all think?

Kevin
sfboy
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Previous

Return to Music. (Other than Patty!)