New Music in 2007

Yes, there's a whole world of music out there besides Patty.

Moderator: gillian

Postby beforesunrise » Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:38 pm

I can't wait for Eleni Mandell's new album Miracle of Five to come out in February. cannot wait.
and Over the Rhine will have a new one out. and I think Mary Gauthier. unless that's this year. I can't keep track of anything anymore!
beforesunrise
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby gillian » Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:44 am

Anais Mitchell's new album The Brightness, out in February.
gillian
Founder
Founder

Postby kcguy » Sun Oct 22, 2006 11:58 am

The Roches (Maggie, Terre and Suzzy) are releasing Moonswept, their first group album in many years, in February. :D
kcguy
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby kcguy » Thu Nov 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Rickie Lee Jones is releasing The Sermon on Exposition Boulevard on Feb 6th (same day as Patty's new cd). Apparently all of the songs are re-interpretations of the words of Jesus...so I guess Rickie Lee is crossing over into christian rock. :shock:

Shawn Colvin said on "Bob Harris Country, BBC 2" (broadcast today) that she has taped a lot of her shows and is going to try to release a live album by next summer. :D

Bob Harris Country can be listened to for a week after broadcast (through Nov. 29th). Shawn is about 27 minutes into the show and played 2 songs, "These Four Walls" and "I'm Gone" and did an interview with Bob. Someone has also torrented the show on Dime.
kcguy
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby Turk » Thu Nov 23, 2006 7:57 pm

kcguy wrote:Rickie Lee Jones is releasing The Sermon on Exposition Boulevard on Feb 6th (same day as Patty's new cd). Apparently all of the songs are re-interpretations of the words of Jesus...so I guess Rickie Lee is crossing over into christian rock. :shock:

Thank you for this very interesting news, kcguy.
I am a huge fan of RLJ and have always found myself being drawn into her eccentric stylings. I've not kept up with her lately and had no idea she was venturing into Jesus territory. I cannot wait to hear this.

Off I go in search of info and samples....

New Patty and Rickie Lee released on the same day?
This could actually be the apocalyse.
Turk
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby TontoBronto » Mon Dec 25, 2006 6:12 pm

kcguy wrote:Rickie Lee Jones is releasing The Sermon on Exposition Boulevard on Feb 6th (same day as Patty's new cd). Apparently all of the songs are re-interpretations of the words of Jesus...so I guess Rickie Lee is crossing over into christian rock. :shock:

RLJ's new label, New West, gives a fairly long revelation of the genesis of the new work. Her recent taping for PBS' "Soundstage" is available on the dimeadozen site.
TontoBronto
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby TontoBronto » Wed Dec 27, 2006 7:27 am

More on the RLJ front: I downloaded the Soundstage torrent and one track hadn't been identified. It turns out the title for track 11 is "Lamp of the Body"
Apparently, RLJ's new CD grew out of a reading of Lee Cantelon's "The Words" (i.e. words of Jesus)
where she improvised based on the following text--
http://www.thewordstoday.com/page2.htm

The most relevant section of the above:
"Once, you journeyed into the wilderness to listen to John, the prophet you called the Baptiser. He spoke to you of the truth. He was a burning and shining light: and you were willing, at least for a while, to follow him. Now, one has come with a greater demonstration of power than John, for the work that my Father has given me to accomplish, the very acts which I perform now in your presence, prove that I am sent from God.

If I do not the works of my Father, then you are free to turn away. But, if I do his works, even if you don't believe in me, believe in the works that I do; that you may know and believe that the Father is in me and I am in him. I must do the work of him who sent me while it is day , because the night is fast approaching when no one will be able to work.

The lamp of the body is the eye: if your eye is sound, your whole life will be filled with light, but if your eye be preoccupied with evil, your whole life will be obscured with darkness. If what illuminates your life is darkness, how great and terrible is that darkness!

Are there not at least twelve hours of daylight? If you walk by day you do not stumble, because of the natural light around you. If, however, you walk by night you will fall"
The lines in blue are those that RLJ has adopted for her lyrics.
Cantelon's book is seemingly meant to present the words of Jesus WITHOUT the usual religious context, and then RLJ sems to feed them through her own filter--the end result seems to be something spiritual (or religious in a general sense) but not oppressively Christian??

I'll have to listen closely to more of the songs to see if I'm right or half-baked.
TontoBronto
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby PCStuff » Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:52 am

Any updates on when new releases from Lori McKenna's and Brandi Carlile are coming out ?
PCStuff
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby gillian » Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:42 am

PCStuff wrote:Any updates on when new releases from Lori McKenna's and Brandi Carlile are coming out ?

Brandi Carlile: April 3rd
Lori McKenna: "spring"
gillian
Founder
Founder

Postby gillian » Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:44 pm

gillian wrote:
PCStuff wrote:Any updates on when new releases from Lori McKenna's and Brandi Carlile are coming out ?

Lori McKenna: "spring"

"Unglamorous" in May
gillian
Founder
Founder

Postby kcguy » Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:02 am

March 13th!

There's an mp3 of a new song by The Innocence Mission: "Into Brooklyn, Early In The Morning" at Badman Recording Co.
kcguy
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby disco_fred » Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:49 am

kcguy wrote:Image
March 13th!

There's an mp3 of a new song by The Innocence Mission: "Into Brooklyn, Early In The Morning" at Badman Recording Co.

I have loved these guys since 1995 when I saw them open for Natalie Merchant at the Mid-Hudson Civic Center in Poughkeepsie, New York. Karen Peris's voice is ethereal and mesmerizing. I will be finding this one.

Also out (the same day Patty's new one came out!) is Peter Bjorn and John's "Writer's Block". They're awesome.
"Sometimes I think the world has gone completely mad. And then I think -- ah, who cares? And then I think -- hey, what's for supper?" -- Jack Handey.
disco_fred
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby PCStuff » Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:33 am

PCStuff
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby kcguy » Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:40 pm

I hadn't heard about it, but that's good news. :D I loved Between Here and Gone as well. I didn't care much for what she'd done the last few years before that cd.

It appears that Richard Shindell's new cd of cover songs, South of Delia, will be available on-line but not in stores (I imagine he will be selling it at his shows). It's being released in England on Fish Records on March 12th and through Richard's website for shipping on March 15th (estimated date) in the US.

Track listing

..1 Acadian Driftwood (Robbie Robertson)
..2 Señor (Tales of Yankee Power) (Bob Dylan)
..3 The Humpback Whale (Harry Robertson)
..4 Born in the USA (Bruce Springsteen)
..5 Mercy Street (Peter Gabriel)
..6 The Storms are On the Ocean (A.P. Carter)
..7 Northbound 35 (Jeffrey Foucault)
..8 Sitting On Top of the World (trad arr Shindell)
..9 Texas Rangers (trad arr Shindell)
10 Deportee (Woody Guthrie)
11 Solo le Pido a Dios (Leon Gieco)
12 Lawrence, KS (Josh Ritter)

***edit: South of Delia will be in stores in May.
kcguy
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby kcguy » Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:46 am

March 26, Europe
April 10, North America
kcguy
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

PreviousNext

Return to Music. (Other than Patty!)