New Music in 2007

Yes, there's a whole world of music out there besides Patty.

Moderator: gillian

Postby Browncoat » Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:29 pm

Lori McKenna - Unglamorous - August 14th
Subtly eccentric...
Browncoat
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby MWM » Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:11 pm

Wow, they sure pushed that one back, didn't they?
The meteorite is the source of the light
And the meteor's just what we see
And the meteoroid is a stone that's devoid
Of the fire that propelled it to thee
And the meteorite's just what causes the light
And the meteor's how it's perceived
And the meteoroid's a bone thrown from the void
That lies quiet in offering to thee
MWM
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby disco_fred » Tue May 01, 2007 11:33 pm

Bjork -- "Volta" (due May 8th)!

And Kelly Clarkson's got a new one coming out this summer :D !!! Happy!
"Sometimes I think the world has gone completely mad. And then I think -- ah, who cares? And then I think -- hey, what's for supper?" -- Jack Handey.
disco_fred
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby Ian » Mon May 14, 2007 6:23 am

Jess Gardham ..... Debut album just released.....simply wonderful

http://www.jessgardham.co.uk/

http://www.myspace.com/jessgardham
I still don't blame you for leaving baby... it's cold living with goats
Ian
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby Fool On Fire » Thu May 17, 2007 11:46 am

Pink Martini -- Hey Eugene!
Smashing Pumpkins -- Zeitgeist (I really wonder how this one will be. I'm pretty excited for it, actually.)
Ryan Adams -- Easy Tiger
Juliana Finch -- How to Take the Fall
Rufus Wainwright -- Release the Stars

~Elise
I've become the beggar now, and you've become the saint somehow
twist the words and place the blame, and tell me now, aren't we the same?

-- Amy Ray

born under a bad sign, been down since I began to crawl
if it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have no luck at all

-- Albert King

the saints and all the martyrs look down on dying converts
"what makes the water holy," she said, "is that it's the closest thing to rain..."

-- Josh Ritter

...the blues is the roots...everything else is the fruits...
Fool On Fire
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Kelsea » Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:21 pm

Songs of Mass Destruction- Annie Lennox (October 2, 2007)

I'm very exited for this one, Annie never disappoints and Bare was a great album. There's a song called Song called ‘Sing’ that features Céline Dion, Melissa Etheridge, Fergie, Beth Gibbons, Faith Hill, Angelique Kidjo, Beverley Knight, Gladys Knight, k.d. lang, Madonna, Sarah McLachlan, Beth Orton, Pink, Bonnie Raitt, Shakira, Shingai Shoniwa, Joss Stone, Sugababes, KT Tunstall, and Martha Wainwright as well as a vocal group called The Generics. Anyways the song/ ensemble was inspired by Nelson Mandela’s Treatment Action Campaign- (organizations fighting for education, human rights and health care for those infected HIV/ AIDS) and The Generics. Word is it's a very powerful "feminist anthem", will be interesting to finally hear it.

The Awakening- Melissa Etheridge (September 25, 2007)
Home Again, Home Again- Hem (EP) Just released
Shine- Joni Mitchell (September 25, 2007)
The Art of Love and War- Angie Stone (September 18, 2007)
Kelsea
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby Fool On Fire » Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:03 am

Iron and Wine's new album, The Shepherd's Dog, drops tomorrow...it's currently streaming on myspace in its entirety. I am really loving it. It's everything that is great about Iron and Wine, nothing that isn't. I wasn't crazy about the collaboration with Calexico (although I really like Calexico too), and the most recent EP (I always forget the name, what was it? King something?) was kind of uninspired. But this one is textured and playful both musically and lyrically, and it has those snippets of lyrics that leap out at you and then stay with you for hours. So far my favorite tracks are "Lovesong of the Buzzard" and "Peace Beneath the City."

Devendra Banhart's new CD, Smokey Rolls Down Thunder Canyon, also drops tomorrow. I've heard it's not as good as his earlier stuff, but I am still really interested to hear it. I could listen to that man play guitar all damn day.

excited,
~Elise

*edited to add* Devendra's new cd is also streaming on myspace. Just found it. I can't decide if I like it as much as Rejoicing in the Hands, but I just find it so easy to get drunk on his guitar playing. "Samba Vexillographica" is currently seducing me.

-- Amy Ray

-- Albert King

"what makes the water holy," she said, "is that it's the closest thing to rain..."

-- Josh Ritter

Fool On Fire
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby MWM » Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:04 pm

Fool On Fire wrote:Iron and Wine's new album, The Shepherd's Dog, drops tomorrow...it's currently streaming on myspace in its entirety. I am really loving it. It's everything that is great about Iron and Wine, nothing that isn't. I wasn't crazy about the collaboration with Calexico (although I really like Calexico too), and the most recent EP (I always forget the name, what was it? King something?) was kind of uninspired. But this one is textured and playful both musically and lyrically, and it has those snippets of lyrics that leap out at you and then stay with you for hours. So far my favorite tracks are "Lovesong of the Buzzard" and "Peace Beneath the City."

I've had this since May or June, I guess, and when I first heard it, I didn't care for it at all. It was a major disappointment. It just didn't seem at all like the Iron & Wine I loved, it was almost like it was a different band. But after three or four listens, I really started loving it. I think it's probably what Sam had been wanting to do all along and he's only now beginning to realize his vision. The only song on the album I don't completely love now is "Innocent Bones," and even it's pretty okay. The title track is incredible, and "Resurrection Fern" gets me a little weepy.

Are there any PJ Harvey fans here? Her new album White Chalk comes out next week. I have never really considered myself a fan of her music, although I liked a song here and there. But this CD is amazing, and completely unlike anything she's ever done before. It's totally stripped down and piano based, very quiet and eerie, and it's so beautiful. I think it will go down as my favorite album of the year (excluding our own PJ Griffin, of course).

Have a listen to some of the new stuff here:

White Chalk:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrCQbrFCQ1I

Silence:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwbArbn5QWk

The Mountain:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xsddqZ8yTU
MWM
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby RightOverThisMess » Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:22 pm

PJ fan here!

I can't wait for the new album. I've been listening to When Under Ether incessantly.
Nobody helps a liar.
...and you don't know what I've done.
RightOverThisMess
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby Hugues » Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:31 pm

Well, I said two or three days ago my favourite album of the year was Lu's West, but it changed yesterday. It's Nina Nastasia's You Follow Me. So far. Definitely a grower.

But several albums are coming soon again. Mary Gauthier, Ana Egge, and Rachel Ries (well for this one it's a big wish).

No guy? Yes: Paul Curreri. His new album, The Velvet Rut, will be out October 30 in the US. Look for this man, everyone, he's fabulously talented.
Hugues
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby MWM » Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:57 pm

^ Nina's is probably my #3 or #4. I agree about it being a grower. What seems tuneless at first becomes infectious after a couple of listens.

My top 10 albums of 2007 will probably include, Patty's CRT, Nina's You Follow Me, PJ's White Chalk, Neon Bible by the Arcade Fire, Boxer by The National, The Shepherd's Dog by Iron & Wine, The Brightness by Anais Mitchell, The Reminder by Feist, and maybe Joni's new one (which I've not heard yet), along with perhaps a CD or two by new discoveries to me this year, like Windmill, Bat for Lashes, and Marissa Nadler. Then again, I also really liked the new Tegan & Sara and Lori McKenna. Oh, and Laura Veirs!

This has been a really good year for music.
MWM
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby Fool On Fire » Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:20 pm

MWM wrote:I've had this since May or June, I guess, and when I first heard it, I didn't care for it at all. It was a major disappointment. It just didn't seem at all like the Iron & Wine I loved, it was almost like it was a different band. But after three or four listens, I really started loving it. I think it's probably what Sam had been wanting to do all along and he's only now beginning to realize his vision. The only song on the album I don't completely love now is "Innocent Bones," and even it's pretty okay. The title track is incredible, and "Resurrection Fern" gets me a little weepy.

Yeah, I guess if you were waiting for traditional Iron & Wine it could be a little jarring. I guess I mostly agree with your assessment; it sounds like he's finally fleshed out the sound he always wanted, which is, I think, why it sucked me in right away. And the title track raises the hackles on my skin with every listen. Eeeee. :D

There really has been a lot of music to love this year. If next year is just as prolific I will be poor until the day I die.

~E

-- Amy Ray

-- Albert King

-- Josh Ritter

Fool On Fire
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby disco_fred » Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:32 pm

I may be the only one here who would care, but --

New Britney -- October 29th
New Ashlee -- November TBA
New Kelly Clarkson -- February 2008

and ...

New Madonna :D -- March 2008 (such a looooooong wait!)
"Sometimes I think the world has gone completely mad. And then I think -- ah, who cares? And then I think -- hey, what's for supper?" -- Jack Handey.
disco_fred
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Previous

Return to Music. (Other than Patty!)