Marybeth D'Amico

Yes, there's a whole world of music out there besides Patty.

Moderator: gillian

Marybeth D'Amico

Postby Kris » Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:34 pm

I know we had a thread in the general forum about your CD release, but now you need an actual music thread!

Okay, so I listened to "Woe" on repeat for about 45 minutes today. It is quickly becoming one of my favorite singer songs ever. You kow what I mean, a song that another vocalist can truly appreciate? One of those.

The lilting dissonence of the melody against the perfectly sparse instrumental backdrop literally gives me chills. It's unpredictable in the best of ways and your voice really shines in that range. It's a brilliant song and I envy to write something that gives an effect like that.

I always liked "Jimmy" and "Summa Cum Laude" and was instantly drawn to them because of that recognition, but "Waiting to Fly" and "Leaving" are excellent songs as well. I love the imagery in "Leaving", where you really feel bad for the character rather than feel like she's bailing on her family. And I have lived "Summa Cum Laude" and now feel like I'm living the life of a failure and not meeting that potential, I can relate to this song so much!

I think your views and thoughts on the overuse of theraputic drugs is apparent in here as well and I like it and agree with you.

I think the songs are really great together as a collection and each one is uniquely different, yet flows and fits well as a whole. I think the instumental addition is perfect too, it just highlights the songs, never too produced, never overbearing. Minimalist, but it fills out the songs nicely.

And I want to thank you, MB, because I haven't played guitar or even attempted to write in well over a year and listening to this EP has really inspired me to pick it up again. Thank you.
It's the same old thirst for more
Until they put you in the dirt

You saw me through a keyhole
Of a door that I kept locked
But I decorate the threshold
Just in case you knocked
Kris
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby marybeth » Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:18 am

Kris I am so touched, I can't tell you. Thanks so much for your comments! You are the best. *heart*
http://www.marybethdamico.com

Some people don't care if they live or they die
Some people want to know what it feels like to fly

Americana: "a nebulous category of misfits and acquired tastes, many of whom seem to have worn cowboy hats at one time or another" LA Times article
marybeth
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Turk » Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:06 pm

Indeed, this thread is long overdue.
One of the things I love about your style, MB, is that no matter how dark or disparaging the lyrical message (which is not a putdown but actually reflects real life situations) may be, your voice doesn't delve into that vein to get the message across - in other words - there is little maudlin mood meant to automatically convey the content. In even more OTHER words, I'm not brought down because hearing the first note doesn't immediately take me there.

I'm finding it tough to express what I mean.

Personally, on first listen, I sense a light, even jovial presentation but after really hearing the words, it all clicks. Especially on Leaving, this is true to me. I highly respect that you're capable of that unique delivery.

Kris wrote:I think the songs are really great together as a collection and each one is uniquely different, yet flows and fits well as a whole. I think the instumental addition is perfect too, it just highlights the songs, never too produced, never overbearing. Minimalist, but it fills out the songs nicely.

I could not agree more.
The musicial accompaniment is spot-on and beautifully produced. I don't have the CD yet :oops: but what I've heard on your MySpace and the snippets on your site are all great.

And speaking of your website, I've been trying to help my brother get a site together to get his songs some exposure. The other day, he was visiting and I showed him your site as an example because of it's easy navigation, no nonsense and no clutter. He was very impressed and he wanted hear a couple of your songs.
His name is Jimmy :D .

Yes, MaryBeth, it's incredible to hear what you've produced and how you've progressed over the last 2 or 3 years. Quite a difference from that "marybeth girl" I'd initially just stumbled upon and first heard doing the Sweet Lorraine tribute.

You are an artist with a gift on your way to a great place and I am proud to say "I knew you when...."
Turk
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby marybeth » Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:05 pm

aw Turk now don't make me cry.....thanks very much for your kind words.

I kind of cringe when I think back about that Sweet Lorraine...but every few months, I cringe about what I sang a few months before...I wish I could re-record my CD already....lol. I guess that's good, I guess it means I'm progressing, though never as much as I want to as quickly as I want to!

But thanks for listening. Now go order mister. ;-)

Americana: "a nebulous category of misfits and acquired tastes, many of whom seem to have worn cowboy hats at one time or another" LA Times article
marybeth
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby marybeth » Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:21 am

Ok I'm a little shy to do this, but if you feel like it, check out a new song of mine on myspace. End of message...

marybeth
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby keith from ny » Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:50 pm

Wow! A lovely and mournful song there Marybeth, and I really think that's your best vocal performance to date. Makes me think of Lucinda's recording of Angels Laid Him Away.

Thanks for sharing!
I don't know nothing except change will come
keith from ny
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby marybeth » Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:49 am

I know there are those of you out there who have lost sleep at night wondering what my studio tracks sound like, so to make sure everyone on Pattynet is well-rested, I posted the studio version of my song "Lay My Baby Down" today on Myspace...he he. So give it a listen if you're curious.

marybeth
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby gala002 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:43 am

WOW :D
It's really what I like to hear. Good guitar picking, good steel too and your voice is delicate. Now, I need a copy, paid in advance if you want.

Great
gala002
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby LimeTwister » Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:59 pm

If you haven't, check out the talented young lady's "Ohio"

http://www.myspace.com/marylisbeth

Fucking great.
I guess I'm taking my chances
Giving up the ring, throwing in the gloves
I guess I'm taking my chances
Trading in my things For a couple wings on a little white dove
And one big love, one big love
LimeTwister
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby Russell » Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:15 pm

LimeTwister wrote:If you haven't, check out the talented young lady's "Ohio"

Fucking great.

I Agree!!!
Russell
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby marybeth » Sat Apr 05, 2008 7:31 am

aw thanks! :)

marybeth
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby KarenL » Thu May 08, 2008 6:38 pm

Russell wrote:
LimeTwister wrote:If you haven't, check out the talented young lady's "Ohio"

Fucking great.

I Agree!!!

I just checked out 'Ohio', and I third Lime's sentiments :D (and also love 'Lay My Baby Down', Marybeth!).
KarenL
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby keith from ny » Thu May 08, 2008 8:33 pm

Marybeth, your new stuff sounds amazing! :D
I don't know nothing except change will come
keith from ny
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby gala002 » Fri May 09, 2008 6:42 am

Marybeth, I never thought your voice was so easy to listen to. You'll become one of my favorite. Seriously, I'm all filled.
gala002
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby marybeth » Fri May 09, 2008 7:03 am

Well, I think I'll take that as a compliment, Gala! :wink: Thanks you guys for listening to my new tracks!

marybeth
Top of the World
Top of the World

Next

Return to Music. (Other than Patty!)