Lucinda Williams

Yes, there's a whole world of music out there besides Patty.

Moderator: gillian

Postby ScottG » Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:57 pm

Same here Marybeth. I still haven't gotten through it.
"Indifferent, but distanced perfectly
Projected endlessly, it’s so FUCKING beautiful!!!"
ScottG
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby sfboy » Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:19 pm

I bought the 4 protest songs on iTunes. I like them, though I guess I'm not much of a litmus test for y'all. :D Anyway, they're available.

Kevin
sfboy
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby Hugues » Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:14 am

There are a few songs I don't like (the opener and "Knowing"), but the whole rather works for me, I like the bluesy sound of the band, and Lu's voice, as always.

I don't pay much attention to the lyrics, I must admit. Something quite easy to do when you're French. :wink:
Hugues
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby Turk » Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:41 am

Okay, I'm thinking I rushed to judgement on this album. I listened to it this past weekend with some people who are Lucinda fans but had not heard the new record. I enjoyed it very much. Maybe it was because I hadn't waited until the right moment for me to 'get it'. Maybe it was because I was away from my usual existence and in a different frame of mind. Maybe it was because I was elated to be among some old friends celebrating being together. Maybe it was because I was in Alabama where we all speak the same country twang as Lucinda. Maybe it was because the weather was ideal.

I still think that some of the aspects of Lucinda's writing is weaker than in earlier stuff. Then again, some of her new lyrics can give me a light bulb moment. Maybe I am just glad that Lucinda is still around and is able to give us some new songs that make me appreciate that she is an artist whose songs can touch me in the way I truly love for songs to touch me. She is allowed to make her music whether it lives up to my expectations or anyone else's. And if I can happen to eke some joy from what she does then it's served it purpose. Rave on, Lucinda.

I dunno. Maybe it was the weed.
Turk
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Turk » Sat Nov 29, 2008 4:15 pm

Lu In '08

<object width="300" height="110"><param name="movie" value="http://media.imeem.com/m/cvGrUsBq5G/aus=false/"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://media.imeem.com/m/cvGrUsBq5G/aus=false/" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="300" height="110" wmode="transparent"></embed></object>

<object width="300" height="110"><param name="movie" value="http://media.imeem.com/m/pHkqM27K4r/aus=false/"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://media.imeem.com/m/pHkqM27K4r/aus=false/" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="300" height="110" wmode="transparent"></embed></object>

<object width="300" height="110"><param name="movie" value="http://media.imeem.com/m/WHvKgEfY69/aus=false/"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://media.imeem.com/m/WHvKgEfY69/aus=false/" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="300" height="110" wmode="transparent"></embed></object>

<object width="300" height="110"><param name="movie" value="http://media.imeem.com/m/8T0sln6BVw/aus=false/"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://media.imeem.com/m/8T0sln6BVw/aus=false/" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="300" height="110" wmode="transparent"></embed></object>
Turk
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby SecretSanta » Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:34 am

FWIW, someone tried to upload one of the alternate versions of "Car Wheels" but the torrent was banned (since some tracks were included on that 2 disc deluxe edition):
Lucinda Williams Car Wheels on a Gravel Road (Alternate Version).torrent
1. Right In Time
2. Greenville
3. Concrete and Barbed Wire
4. I Lost It
5. Drunken Angel
6. Can't Let Go
7. Metal Firecracker
8. 2 Kool 2 Be 4-Gotten
9. Lake Charles
10. Still I Long for Your Kiss***
11. Car Wheels On a Gravel Road
12 Jackson
13. Out of Touch***
14. Joy
15. Down the Big Road Blues***
This is an alternate version of the "Car
Wheels On a Gravel Road" album. The album
was reportedly recorded several times (in
Texas, Nashville, and LA) and when it was
finally released it was said to be four
years late. I don't know where or when
this version was recorded

***These are the "offending" tracks that caused the torrent to be banned.
SecretSanta
Falling Down
Falling Down

Postby Turk » Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:26 am

Lucinda duets with M. Ward. Recorded during the Little Honey sessions.

<object width="300" height="110"><param name="movie" value="http://media.imeem.com/m/Ht_vNcn6wg/aus=false/"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://media.imeem.com/m/Ht_vNcn6wg/aus=false/" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="300" height="110" wmode="transparent"></embed></object>
Turk
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby lily » Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:06 am

I just saw Lucinda for the first time the other night and wow - I was impressed. I really don't care for her much on CD - I can only do a few songs before the gravel really gets to me. But for some reason in concert I just love love loved her.

Anyway, is it just me or is she not the most personality-filled performer to hit the stage?

Shameless plug/concert review with pics: http://www.uncommonmusic.org/2009/conce ... torium-co/
lily
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby Turk » Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:43 pm

I Take Thee

Grammy-winning singer Williams married her Minnesotan manager on stage Friday at First Avenue

The club's staff wore dress shirts. The guitar tech wore a tux. The bride wore all black, with knee-high, high-heeled boots -- and when she finished her vows, she went right into Rolling Stones and AC/DC songs.

First Avenue nightclub played host to a royal rock 'n' roll wedding Friday night starring Grammy-winning alt-country singer Lucinda Williams. After a 90-minute performance with her band -- a surprisingly tight set, given the circumstances -- the Louisiana-bred tunesmith married her Minnesotan beau and manager, Tom Overby, in front of 1,500 fans.

"I thought I'd wear something besides jeans tonight," Williams, 56, joked to the crowd after she took the stage in a silky, tight skirt and matching blouse.

Coming back out for the encore, Williams set the matrimony tone with solo performances of two blissful songs by singers not known for writing happy endings: Her own "Plan to Marry," followed by one she adapted from unrecorded Hank Williams lyrics, "I'm Happy I Found You." Hank's on-stage wedding to his second wife inspired Lucinda's spotlighted nuptials. She fought back tears singing his words.

The bride's father, renowned poet Miller Williams, got up and read a piece he wrote for his daughter when she was 7, "The Caterpillar." Then out came Secular Humanist minister Col. Frank Burggraf and the groom. Fans hooted for Overby's "I take thee, Lucinda" as loudly as they did earlier when she sang "Joy."

Once pronounced man and wife, the couple was showered by confetti shooters, and the band shot into Keith Richards' "Happy." Williams glowlingly concluded, "Thank you for sharing this with us."

Afterward, the newlyweds partied at the neighboring sushi hot-spot Seven. Attendees included some of Williams' singer-songwriter friends from out-of-town, including Carrie Rodriguez, Erika Wennerstrom (Heartless Bastards), Rosie Flores and "Wild Thing" auteur Chip Taylor. Her first husband, ex-Long Ryders drummer Greg Sowders, was also there, as were Twin Cities rock stalwarts including Jayhawks Gary Louris and Marc Perlman, ex-Son Volt members Jim and Dave Boquist, New West Records vice-president Peter Jesperson and executives from Best Buy, where Overby used to work.

The couple plans to honeymoon a few days in the Twin Cities, and then they're off again for an ambitious tour marking Williams' 30th anniversary as a recording artist.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From Lu dot com and paul_from_losangeles:

The music started about 8:30, before an extremely crowded venue. There was no opening act. Lucinda performed a selection of songs in chronological order of her albums.

1. Motherless Children
2. Stop Breakin Down
3. Lafayette
4. Happy Woman Blues
5. I Just Wanted To See You So Bad
6. Big Red Sun Blues
7. Changed the Locks
8. Pineola
9. Sweet Old World
10. Concrete & Barbed Wire
11. I Lost It
12. Joy
13. Out Of Touch
14. Essence
15. Bleeding Fingers
16. Righteously
17. Come On
18. HoneyBee
19. Plan To Marry
20. I'm Happy I Found You (Hank Williams song)

At this point, the music stopped, and Lucinda introduced her father, Miller Williams.
Miller then read his poem "The Caterpillar".

We then were treated to the beautiful wedding ceremony of Lucinda and Tom.

After the ceremony, the evening concluded with:

21. Happy (Rolling Stones song)
22. It's A Long Way to the Top...

http://www.startribune.com/entertainmen ... page=2&c=y
Turk
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby keith from ny » Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:19 am

My pal Kent was at the wedding, lucky devil.

Last night I saw Lucinda Williams in concert at First Avenue in Minneapolis. But it was more than a concert. It had an extra special treat tied into it, the marriage of Lucinda to Tom Overby, a local former Best Buy exec, who is now her tour manager. There was a lot of buzz and anticipation, both in the lineup and as we all were waiting for the show to begin. She loves Minneapolis, for the obvious, but also for time spent here previously. Some of her beginnings are traced to local legends Koerner, Ray, and Glover, whom she credits a lot of influence, and whom played near the University of Minnesota back in Dylans early years. She also recorded Essence up here and spent a lot of time at First Avenue while doing that. Plus when Little Honey was released last year, she showcased it with a live internet broadcast of it in its entirety and in order on her web site, along with an incredible second set of a few songs off each album, in chronological order.
Last night she started from her beginnings, playing a song or 2 from all her albums, finishing up with Honey Bee off her latest. This is the way this tour is going to go- called her 30th anniversary tour (celebrating her 30 years in music). As the set moved on, the music got louder and rockier, as you will see from the setlist posted later here. There was no opening act, just Lucinda opening solo on the first song- Motherless Children, followed by her band Buick 6 joining her on stage.
Doug Pettibone, her long time guitarist, is no longer with her. He has been replaced by Eric Schemerhorn, who had worked previously with Iggy Pop. So after Honey Bee, with crowd fired up in the anticipation of what was to happen, a very nervous Lucinda reappeared on stage to sing 2 love songs to her future husband, solo. A very emotional moment for her.
She mentioned that one of her heroes, Hank Williams, also got married on stage. Then she brought her dad, Miller Williams out, and he read one of his poems, The Caterpillar, with Lucinda sitting towards the back of stage. A wonderful moment. Finally all the rest of the parents came on stage along with the groom. And they were married. And confetti filled the air. It was a moment that I was glad to be at, and definitely one that will not be forgotten. And then they closed with 2 rousing rock songs, Happy (Rolling Stones) and Its a Long Way to the Top, with the crowd dancing and singing along. A great night.

On her upcoming tour she will be following what she did here, a chronogical set. In New York and Chicago, where she has 3 shows, she will do 3 different shows, each one focusing more in depth on a different period of her music.

Here are some of my pics-

Here is a link to a gallery of pics from the Minneapolis paper. You may just spot me in one of them.
[url="http://www.startribune.com/galleries/59864362.html?elr=KArksD:aDyaEP:kD:aUnOiP3UiacyKUUr"]STAR TRIBUNE WEB SITE WEDDING PICTURES[/url]

A review from the Star Tribune-
Grammy-winning singer Williams married her Minnesotan manager on stage Friday at First Avenue.
By CHRIS RIEMENSCHNEIDER, Star Tribune

First Avenue nightclub played host to a royal rock 'n' roll wedding Friday night starring Grammy-winning alt-country singer Lucinda Williams. After a 90-minute performance with her band -- a surprisingly tight set, given the circumstances -- the Louisiana-bred tunesmith married her Minnesotan beau and manager, Tom Overby, in front of 1,500 fans.

"I thought I'd wear something besides jeans tonight," Williams, 56, joked to the crowd after she took the stage in a silky, tight skirt and matching blouse.

Coming back out for the encore, Williams set the matrimony tone with solo performances of two blissful songs by singers not known for writing happy endings: Her own "Plan to Marry," followed by one she adapted from unrecorded Hank Williams lyrics, "I'm Happy I Found You." Hank's on-stage wedding to his second wife inspired Lucinda's spotlighted nuptials. She fought back tears singing his words.

The bride's father, renowned poet Miller Williams, got up and read a piece he wrote for his daughter when she was 7, "The Caterpillar." Then out came Secular Humanist minister Col. Frank Burggraf and the groom. Fans hooted for Overby's "I take thee, Lucinda" as loudly as they did earlier when she sang "Joy."

Once pronounced man and wife, the couple was showered by confetti shooters, and the band shot into Keith Richards' "Happy." Williams glowlingly concluded, "Thank you for sharing this with us."

Afterward, the newlyweds partied at the neighboring sushi hot-spot Seven. Attendees included some of Williams' singer-songwriter friends from out-of-town, including Carrie Rodriguez, Erika Wennerstrom (Heartless Bastards), Rosie Flores and "Wild Thing" auteur Chip Taylor. Her first husband, ex-Long Ryders drummer Greg Sowders, was also there, as were Twin Cities rock stalwarts including Jayhawks Gary Louris and Marc Perlman, ex-Son Volt members Jim and Dave Boquist, New West Records vice-president Peter Jesperson and executives from Best Buy, where Overby used to work.

The couple plans to honeymoon a few days in the Twin Cities, and then they're off again for an ambitious tour marking Williams' 30th anniversary as a recording artist.

and also from the Star Tribune including the set list

Somebody asked me if I planned to review Lucinda’s show last night at First Ave, and I have to admit I hadn’t really even thought of it. What with the whole wedding report and all.

Nobody would want to dis the bride on her wedding day, but the truth is the show would’ve been completely satisfying even if there hadn’t been any vows exchanged. Lucinda was incredibly focused, and her revamped band (longtime guitarist Doug Pettibone is out, ex-Iggy Pop sideman Eric Schemerhorn is in) definitely added spark in all the right places. Just like her second set at First Ave last year on the night of her “Little Honey” webcast — and what she’ll presumably do throughout her forthcoming 30th anniversary tour – she went through all her albums chronologically and picked 1-3 songs off each of them, talking intermittenly about that particular stage of her career. When she made her breakthrough “Lucinda Williams” record for Rough Trade, for instance, she said, “L.A. said I was too country for rock, and Nashville said I was too rock for country … so a punk label out of England signed me.”

Besides the usual highlights (”Joy,” “Changed the Locks,” “Righteously”), most of the standouts were the rockier numbers such as “Pineola,” “I Lost It” and “Real Live Bleeding Fingers,” although “Sweet Old World” sounded incredibly tender, too. How could it not on a night like this? Here’s the set list:

Motherless Children / Stop Breaking Down / Lafayette / Happy Woman Blues / I Just Wanted to See You So Bad / Big Red Sun Blues / Changed the Locks / Pineola / Sweet Old World / Concrete & Barbed Wire / I Lost It / Joy / Out of Touch / Essence / Real Live Bleeding Fingers / Righteously / Come On / Honey Bee

ENCORE: Plan to Marry / I’m Happy I Found You (adapted Hank Williams song) / “I take thee, Lucinda…” / Happy (Rolling Stones) / It’s a Long Way to the Top (AC/DC)

I don't know nothing except change will come
keith from ny
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Turk » Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:00 am

Drivin' On A Dead End Street is a demo song from the Sweet Old World sessions. It eventually became He Never Got Enough Love.

<object width="300" height="110"><param name="movie" value="http://media.imeem.com/m/BOgtzi2NGz/aus=false/"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><param name="FlashVars" value="backColor=66ccff&primaryColor=003366&secondaryColor=3366cc&linkColor=336699"></param><embed src="http://media.imeem.com/m/BOgtzi2NGz/aus=false/" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="300" height="110" wmode="transparent" FlashVars="backColor=66ccff&primaryColor=003366&secondaryColor=3366cc&linkColor=336699"></embed></object>

http://www.imeem.com/people/aDpwXye/mus ... nd-street/
Turk
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Ian » Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:10 pm

Lucinda was at our Cambridge Folk Festival in August.. I captured the half an hour of BBC footage on TV the other night.. if anyone wants to get that, you know what to do.

I haven't uploaded anything because the BBC have been a bit arsey of late about their coverage going up on Yootoob..

So here's some cool camera work by a guy in the crowd

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NIh6N3mWGGM&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NIh6N3mWGGM&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
Ian
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby Turk » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:30 pm

“THE VILLAGE: A CELEBRATION OF THE MUSIC OF GREENWICH VILLAGE”—a musical homage to an influential scene that thrived during an incomparable era in the history of rock music.

Featuring: Shelby Lynne, Lucinda Williams, Bruce Hornsby, Rachael Yamagata, Amos Lee, Sixpence None the Richer, Mary Chapin Carpenter, Marshall Crenshaw, Rocco Deluca, Cowboy Junkies, John Oates, The Duhks, Los Lobos, Cary Brothers, Jesse Malin, and Mikey Powell.

More info here.........

Listen to Lucinda's NEW version of Positively 4th Street here..........
Turk
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Turk » Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:08 pm

Lucinda wrote a song for Janis Joplin and played it at a tribute show the other night.

Difficult Child
Turk
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Turk » Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:41 am

A rare stripped-down, in-studio version of Blue.

Listen here
Turk
Top of the World
Top of the World

PreviousNext

Return to Music. (Other than Patty!)