Lucinda Williams

Yes, there's a whole world of music out there besides Patty.

Moderator: gillian

Postby Turk » Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:32 pm

Doug P and Lucinda

aka The Black Polka Dots

Two of Us
Listen here
Turk
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Turk » Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:43 pm

New Lucinda

Kiss Like Your Kiss, feat. Elvis Costello

This will also be done solo by Lu on her next album release.
Turk
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Turk » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:52 am

Lucinda performed Born To Be Loved at the Americana awards show last week. The studio version will be on her new album due in January.

Listen here
Turk
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby bivester » Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:54 pm

lucinda joined karin on a duet on the song "undamned" on over the rhine's upcoming release "the long surrender" (on 1.11.11).

the song is beautiful and their voices are quite stunning together.
"well, i'll bet you can't pronounce 'b-a-n-g-o-r' correctly any better than i can say 'louisville'... " ~patty to me after the kentucky theatre show

"and i'm so twitterpated about bill, i just tuned the wrong guitar...i said twitterpated, that's what i said." ~karin bergquist @ cst | dayton (sat | 04.09.2005)

bivester:concert photographs
bivester
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby Turk » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:29 pm

bivester wrote:lucinda joined karin on a duet on the song "undamned" on over the rhine's upcoming release "the long surrender" (on 1.11.11).

the song is beautiful and their voices are quite stunning together.

I really want to hear this song!

It looks like Lucinda's new record will be released on the same day as "The Long Surrender."

Did you read on Lu.com the post that Tom Overby wrote about Lucinda's reaction to OtR wanting her to sing on their record?
Turk
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby bivester » Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:48 am

Turk wrote:
Did you read on Lu.com the post that Tom Overby wrote about Lucinda's reaction to OtR wanting her to sing on their record?

no, but i'd love to, got a link? i googled but couldn't find it.

thanks.
"well, i'll bet you can't pronounce 'b-a-n-g-o-r' correctly any better than i can say 'louisville'... " ~patty to me after the kentucky theatre show

"and i'm so twitterpated about bill, i just tuned the wrong guitar...i said twitterpated, that's what i said." ~karin bergquist @ cst | dayton (sat | 04.09.2005)

bivester
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby Turk » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:48 am

bivester wrote:
Turk wrote:

no, but i'd love to, got a link? i googled but couldn't find it.

thanks.

I'm not crazy about the design of the Lucinda.com site. It's hard link to specific posts or threads. It is for me anyway.

Go to http://lucindawilliams.com/forum.php

Then click on "Lucinda Records" and look for the OtR w/ Lucinda thread. Below is the first post of that thread.

OVER THE RHINE w/LUCINDA

Post by TOverby

In the Other Stuff thread I mentioned (or apparently teased about) two other artists that Lucinda was going to do upcoming guest appearances with and one of them just happened a couple of days ago.
She sang on a new song from the band Over The Rhine for their upcoming record being produced by Joe Henry. Joe emailed and asked if Lucinda would want to sing on a new song of theirs because he knew that they were huge fans of Lucinda's and they had mentioned to him that she was a big influence. He also sent along a song of theirs called "Jesus In New Orleans", and a new one he wanted her to sing on. Lu played them and was blown away-and she insisted I come down to her office immediately and give them a listen. Here is her response to Joe:

Joe,
My God! This is some of the most gorgeous stuff I've ever heard! Both of these songs--the writing, the vocals! Her voice is simply stunning. "Jesus In New Orleans" made me cry.
I'm in.
Love,
Lu

Lucinda was flabbergasted the she had never heard of them before. I knew about them from several years ago but had lost track of them over the years and didn't they were still around.
I wanted to make a special mention in here because their story is one of perseverance and a great example of the will of the DIY spirit and how they have survived and succeeded despite flying under the radar for 15 years plus. OTR is basically the husband and wife team of Linford Detweiler and Karin Bergquist and as great as they are as musicians, after getting to spend some time with them this week, they are also fantastic people and now great friends.

The song Lucinda sang on is called Undamned and it is great--Lucinda likened it to her song Unsuffer Me.
Unfortunately I don't think the new record will be out until Jan. of next year, but I think if you give a listen to Jesus In New Orleans, which Linford, who writes most of the lyrics, credited with being very influenced by Lucinda. That is very flattering because when you give it a listen you will hear something truly special and be as floored as Lucinda and I have been.
Turk
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby bivester » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:18 am

great, thanks for digging that up.

actually, karin shared that e-mail w/me the night she got it from joe. she was beside herself to get that kind acknowledgement/recognition/praise from lu (whom she respects and admires a lot) and to hear that she was going to get to work with her.

pretty cool stuff.

bivester
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby Turk » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:38 am

bivester wrote:great, thanks for digging that up.

actually, karin shared that e-mail w/me the night she got it from joe. she was beside herself to get that kind acknowledgement/recognition/praise from lu (whom she respects and admires a lot) and to hear that she was going to get to work with her.

pretty cool stuff.

I think it's pretty cool that you're that tight with Karin.

Looking forward to the album.
From both of them actually.
Turk
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby bivester » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:47 am

Turk wrote:
I think it's pretty cool that you're that tight with Karin.

i feel pretty blessed and lucky to have become close friends with both karin and linford over the years. they're good peeps, good friends.

bivester
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby marybeth » Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:37 pm

Well you deserve it Bill. You're a truly loyal fan!
http://www.marybethdamico.com

Some people don't care if they live or they die
Some people want to know what it feels like to fly

Americana: "a nebulous category of misfits and acquired tastes, many of whom seem to have worn cowboy hats at one time or another" LA Times article
marybeth
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby keith from ny » Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:29 pm

He certainly does deserve it for all he does for Karin and Linford, but I have no musical talent whatsoever and I can tell you that Bill is just as good and loyal to us ordinary people who are lucky enough to call him a friend.

Karin + Lucinda is a duet made in heaven! :D
I don't know nothing except change will come
keith from ny
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby bivester » Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:32 pm

ya'll are making me blush.

but seriously, thank you.

bivester
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby Turk » Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:33 am

Lucinda Williams to release new album in March

The great Lucinda Williams, who wowed a Deer Valley crowd two summers ago, will release her new album "Blessed" on March 1 by Lost Highway.

An excerpt from the press release:

Considered by many to be one of America’s greatest living songwriters, Williams ... [will be] delivering 12 new songs that cover an even wider emotional spectrum than her previous work, without moving too far in any one direction.

Blessed opens with the gritty kiss-off “Buttercup” then moves seamlessly into the sultry blues of “Born To Be Loved." Williams delves into a heavier subject as she questions the motives for a suicide on the hard-driving “Seeing Black." which features blistering guitar from Elvis Costello. The thoughtful title track slowly builds to a melodic climax as it offers an eye-opening look at what’s right in front of us, but too often unnoticed. The poignant and powerful “Soldier’s Song” simultaneously tells a tragic story of the soldier overseas and his wife and child back home. On the gorgeous “Kiss Like Your Kiss," Williams lays down one of the most beautiful and fragile vocals she has ever recorded. The original version of “Kiss Like Your Kiss” appeared on the True Blood: Music From The HBO Original Series - Volume 2 and was just nominated for a Grammy Award for BEST SONG WRITTEN FOR MOTION PICTURE, TELEVISION OR OTHER VISUAL MEDIA.

It’s nothing new to see Williams tug at the heartstrings and stimulate the mind with her songs, but there is a vibe throughout Blessed that is unique to this album in-particular. It’s the sound of the wisdom and experience Williams has gained through her years as an uncompromising talent. Combine that with Grammy Award-winning producer Don Was at the helm, and something special is born. Was co-produced Blessed with Eric Liljestrand and Tom Overby, who co-produced Williams highly-praised "Little Honey" (2008). Blessed features special guests Rami Jaffe on keyboards, Matthew Sweet on vocals Greg Leisz and Elvis Costello on guitar.

The deluxe edition of Blessed will include bonus material titled The Kitchen Tapes. These are the demos Williams recorded of the songs that became Blessed right as they were born at her kitchen table, where she does much of her writing.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/blogsburge ... m.html.csp
Turk
Top of the World
Top of the World

Previous

Return to Music. (Other than Patty!)