Lucinda Williams

Yes, there's a whole world of music out there besides Patty.

Moderator: gillian

Re: Live Lucinda Concert Webcast on 8/7

Postby Turk » Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:50 pm

Arlene wrote:FYI. You can tune in and hear in NPR's archive a live concert by Lucinda webcast over NPR
( http://www.npr.org ) on Sunday August 7th at 10:00 EST from Washington D.C.'s 9:30 Club. See http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... Id=4767023

Set list
Ventura
Fruits of My Labor
Those Three Days
Pineola
Drunken Angel
Jailhouse Tears
I Lost It
Knowing
Out of Touch
Still I Long For Your Kiss
Righteously
Where is My Love
Essence
Joy

Encore
Lake Charles
Blue
Unsuffer Me
Sweet Old World
Doors of Heaven
Come to Me Baby

This is great. Lucinda fans, take heed.
------------------------------------------------
eta: Notice that a Neko Case song is playing as the lights go down and Lucinda takes the stage.
Last edited by Turk on Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Turk
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Turk » Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:52 pm

Turk wrote:Is anybody familiar with the song "Bloodlines" that was in the movie The Baby Dance with Laura Dern and Stockard Channing?
Lucinda did the song and it actually made the movie, IMO.

I've never seen the soundtrack anywhere and don't really know if one was ever released. I did a quick Google and was only able to locate the VHS movie.
I would love to have that song.

I'm bumping this because I would still love a copy of "Bloodlines"...in any form.
Anyone?
Turk
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby TontoBronto » Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:49 pm

Turk wrote:
Turk wrote:Is anybody familiar with the song "Bloodlines" that was in the movie The Baby Dance with Laura Dern and Stockard Channing?
Lucinda did the song and it actually made the movie, IMO.

I've never seen the soundtrack anywhere and don't really know if one was ever released. I did a quick Google and was only able to locate the VHS movie.
I would love to have that song.

I'm bumping this because I would still love a copy of "Bloodlines"...in any form.
Anyone?

Terry Allen wrote & performed the song originally, but asked Lu to do the song for the movie. Allen's version seems to be available from Sugar Hill, but I couldn't find even a poor version of Lu's cover. :cry:
I thought maybe a peer-to-peer site like Limewire might have a VHS-sourced mp3, but no apparent luck.
TontoBronto
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Turk » Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:05 pm

Tonto Yoder wrote:Terry Allen wrote & performed the song originally, but asked Lu to do the song for the movie. Allen's version seems to be available from Sugar Hill, but I couldn't find even a poor version of Lu's cover. :cry:
I thought maybe a peer-to-peer site like Limewire might have a VHS-sourced mp3, but no apparent luck.

Thank you for checking on it, Bruce. I found Allen's site where he talks about bringing Lu in for the movie. I think he did all the music for Baby Dance. I had rented the movie and recorded "Bloodlines" onto audio cassette, dialogue and all. Other than Allen and Lucinda, I doubt there's a copy of "Bloodlines" available.
Turk
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Turk » Sat Jun 17, 2006 5:11 pm

From Rolling Stone:

Smoking Section

Wedding plans for Lucinda

Why is the great Lucinda Williams writing songs like "I'm in Love With You" and "Plan to Marry"? "I'm engaged!" she reveals to the Smoking Section. "His name is Tom -- he's a big music guy." In fact, it was her fiancé who suggested that she team up with her new co-producer, Hal Willner. The sessions in L.A. are going swimmingly, with Lu backed by studio heavies like Jim Keltner, Tony Garnier and Bill Frisell, as well as a string quartet. With twenty-seven songs written, there's enough material for a double album: "It's a good problem to have," says Williams. Expect one disc, tentatively titled The Knowing, in the fall. "This is a record I've always wanted to make. There's lots of different styles about events in my life over the last couple of years." Sadly, Williams' mother recently passed away, and she's also had to deal with the end of a tumultuous romantic relationship, but now she's found her true love. "The record is about the suffering that goes on around us ­ the horrors and the tragedies -- and the fact that we continue to survive and push on," she says. "The theme is 'Love conquers all.' " Yessss!

Turk
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby keith from ny » Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:25 am

Any Lucinda and/or Miller Williams fans in the SoCal area should definitely check this out:

http://www.uclalive.org/event.asp?Event_ID=393

I have a recording of one of these occasional recital-concerts they do together, and it's one of the most moving things I've ever heard.

Tickets on sale August 7th.
I don't know nothing except change will come
keith from ny
Top of the World
Top of the World

Re: Live Lucinda Concert Webcast on 8/7

Postby Hugues » Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:16 pm

Turk wrote:
Set list

Jailhouse Tears
Knowing
Where is My Love

Encore

Unsuffer Me
Doors of Heaven
Come to Me Baby

These are titles unknown from me - I was wondering: could "Where Is My Love" be the Cat Power song (from her latest album The Greatest)? The fact is I can hear so much Lucinda singing that!
Hugues
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby elcorazon » Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:50 am

http://biz.yahoo.com/iw/060913/0162557.html

Lucinda Williams' Classic "Car Wheels On A Gravel Road" Remastered and Expanded for 2-CD Deluxe Edition With Complete Previously Unreleased 1998 Concert and More
Wednesday September 13, 8:03 am ET

SANTA MONICA, CA--(MARKET WIRE)--Sep 13, 2006 -- With a new Lucinda Williams album expected this fall, her most rapturously acclaimed and best-selling album to date receives the expanded Deluxe Edition treatment. The two-CD "Car Wheels On A Gravel Road - Deluxe Edition" (Mercury/Lost Highway/UMe), released October 24, 2006, adds a pair of previously unreleased studio tracks plus an alternate version of "Still I Long For Your Kiss" heard in "The Horse Whisperer" and an entire previously unreleased 1998 live performance to a newly remastered edition of the singer-songwriter's most celebrated and beloved album.
Six years since her previous album, 1998's long-anticipated "Car Wheels On A Gravel Road" was worth the wait. The 13-song collection's passionate, sharply detailed accounts of love, loss and longing were matched by the deceptively laid-back intensity of Williams' performances and those of guest artists that included Steve Earle, Emmylou Harris, Charlie Sexton, Jim Lauderdale, Buddy Miller and the E Street Band's Roy Bittan. Topping many year-end critics polls and landing Williams her first gold record, the album also won the Grammy for Best Contemporary Folk Album, despite being her least folkish work. A masterwork of roots rock woven through with folk, honky-tonk country and blues, the album (her fifth) marked her artistic and commercial breakthrough after a near 20-year recording career.

Augmenting the original album on Disc One are two outtakes from the album's initial 1995 Austin sessions -- the Williams original "Out Of Touch" (which she would re-record for 2001's "Essence") and a stripped-down reading of the 1920s blues classic "Down The Big Road Blues" -- and the alternate "Still I Long For Your Kiss."

Disc Two captures a spirited live performance, recorded July 11, 1998 at Penn's Landing in Philadelphia for WXPN's "Live At The World Café" radio show. Featuring Williams' then-current touring band, the set encompasses nine numbers from "Car Wheels On A Gravel Road" (the title track, "Metal Firecracker," "Right In Time," "Drunken Angel," "Greenville," "Still I Long For Your Kiss," "2 Kool 2 Be 4-Gotten," "Can't Let Go" and "Changed The Locks") and four earlier favorites ("Pineola," "Something About What Happens When We Talk," "Joy" and "Hot Blood"). The concert as well as the Disc One bonus tracks have also been newly digitally remastered.

What was said of "Car Wheels On A Gravel Road" in 1998 is still true today: "In a world inundated with cookie-cutter, Lilith-ready wimps," wrote Entertainment Weekly, "there's enough gravel on Williams' wheels to fill a West Texas dump truck."
If I died, he'd hear about it, eventually.
elcorazon
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby keith from ny » Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:24 am

Thanks for the info, Jon! I've been wondering what this re-release is all about.

I actually have all that material already, including a good recording of the XPN concert from broadcast. And how much better could the mastering be on Car Wheels than the original production??

I love Lucinda, but I think I may forego this myself.
keith from ny
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Arlene » Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:14 am

Thanks Jon. I don't have the World Cafe concert so I may pick this one up but I hope it doesn't mean that they'll be a delay in the release of her next album of new material.
"You've got to sing like you don't need the money, love like you'll never get hurt. You've got to dance like no one is watching. It's gotta come from the heart, if you want it to work."
~Susannah Clark

"Ginger Rogers did everything that Fred Astaire did. She just did it backwards and in high heels." ~Molly Ivins

"If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes, only sooner."
~Tallulah Bankhead

Arlene
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby keith from ny » Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:28 am

Arlene wrote:... I hope it doesn't mean that they'll be a delay in the release of her next album of new material.

I think that's exactly what it means, unfortunately.
keith from ny
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby TontoBronto » Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:25 pm

Lucinda will be on Jools Holland "Later" Friday, the 24th--
http://www.bbc.co.uk/later/show/index_20061124.shtml

They archive the show for viewing 10 days? after initial airing--
http://www.bbc.co.uk/later/
TontoBronto
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Arlene » Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:46 pm

FYI. I've now seen two articles (one in the L.A. Times) which say that Lucinda's new album called West will be released on February 13, 2007 (but I've seen nothing on her web site, her label's web site, or amazon.com).

Keith? Any info?
"You've got to sing like you don't need the money, love like you'll never get hurt. You've got to dance like no one is watching. It's gotta come from the heart, if you want it to work."
~Susannah Clark

"Ginger Rogers did everything that Fred Astaire did. She just did it backwards and in high heels." ~Molly Ivins

"If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes, only sooner."
~Tallulah Bankhead

Arlene
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby keith from ny » Tue Dec 05, 2006 5:00 pm

Arlene wrote:FYI. I've now seen two articles (one in the L.A. Times) which say that Lucinda's new album called West will be released on February 13, 2007 (but I've seen nothing on her web site, her label's web site, or amazon.com).

Keith? Any info?

I'm thinking that her label (who run her website) and Amazon know Lucinda pretty well by now! Image

But I do have it on good authority that, as of October 21, Lucinda expected the album to be released on that date.
keith from ny
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Turk » Tue Dec 26, 2006 1:01 pm

Lucinda's West to be released Feb. 13

01 Are You Alright?
02 Mama You Sweet
03 Learning How to Live
04 Fancy Funeral
05 Unsuffer Me
06 Everything Has Changed