Lucinda Williams

Yes, there's a whole world of music out there besides Patty.

Moderator: gillian

Postby Turk » Tue Dec 26, 2006 5:27 pm

Lucinda Williams Looks 'West' On New Album

Wes Orshoski, N.Y.
Billboard

Loss and loneliness are at the core of Lucinda Williams' eighth album, "West," slated to be released Feb. 13 via Lost Highway.

The disc finds the critically acclaimed singer/songwriter coping with another painful breakup and the passing of her mother, whom she reminisces in songs like "Mama You Sweet" and "Fancy Funeral." In such songs as "Come On," "Learning How to Live" and "Everything Has Changed," the Grammy winner again deals with heartbreak.

"The songs deal with a chapter in my life and they definitely tell a story," says Williams. "It's probably been the most prolific time in my life as a writer. I'd been through so many changes -- my mother's death and a very tumultuous relationship that ended badly -- so obviously there's a lot of pain and struggling, but it ends with a look toward the future."

Featuring the Jayhawks' Gary Louris, celebrated drummer Jim Keltner, longtime Dylan bassist Tony Garnier (both of whom played on her "Essence" disc) and Williams' longtime guitarist Doug Petibone, "West" was co-produced by Williams and Hal Willner, whose credits include Elvis Costello, Lou Reed and Bill Frisell, who also guests on the "West."

The album's 13 songs together form a largely down-tempo disc, but "West" doesn't only find Williams in a somber mood. "Mama You Sweet" is upbeat and "Come On" is a nasty, almost raunchy kiss-off, musically akin to "Atonement" from her last album, 2003's "World Without Tears."

She injects doses of hope and light in tracks like "What If," in which she imagines a world where the president wears pink and a prostitute is a queen.

"I get tired of people looking at my songs and feeling that they're all sad and dark," she says. "There's more to them than that. Some people might read Flannery O'Connor and see that as simply dark -- and it is dark and disturbing --- but there's a philosophical aspect, even a comical aspect to it as well. I think that's all there on this album. It's a full circle, like I've come through a metamorphosis."
Turk
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby joanna » Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:54 pm

I am really looking forward to the new CD. I just bought the Deluxe Edition CAR WHEELS ON A GRAVEL ROAD, and I'm really enjoying the live material. It made it worthwhile to purchase this awesome album again.
joanna
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Location: someplace on the moon where they moved the drive-in theater

Some tour dates:

Postby keith from ny » Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:08 am

3/6 Tucson, AZ Rialto
3/7 Albuquerque, NM Kimo
3/9 Austin, TX Stubb's
3/10 Dallas, TX Granada
3/13 Tallahassee, FL Musical Moon
3/16 Jacksonville, FL Florida Theater
3/17 Atlanta, GA Tabernacle
3/18 Asheville, NC Thomas Wolfe
3/23 New York, NY Radio City Music Hall :D
3/24 Boston, MA Orpheum :D
3/25 Northampton, MA Calvin Theater :D
3/27 Albany, NY Hart Theater
3/28 Harrisburg, PA Forum
3/30 Nashville, TN Ryman

:D Guess I'll be seeing a lot of Lucinda (and my road pal Rhonda) that weekend!
I don't know nothing except change will come
keith from ny
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Turk » Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:41 am

There are 3 new songs samples at Lu's MySpace.

"Words"
"What If"
"Are You Alright"
Turk
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Turk » Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:16 am

Check out "Fancy Funeral" at this link:

http://boss.streamos.com/wmedia/losthig ... uneral.wax

FYI, clicking on the link does download the song.
Turk
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Arlene » Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:38 pm

FYI. Continuing a disturbing trend, if you order West through www.milesofmusic.com you can receive two bonus tracks:

FREE BONUS CD INCLUDED
(with two tracks: Unsuffer Me (demo) & Everything Has Changed (demo), While Supplies last!
"You've got to sing like you don't need the money, love like you'll never get hurt. You've got to dance like no one is watching. It's gotta come from the heart, if you want it to work."
~Susannah Clark

"Ginger Rogers did everything that Fred Astaire did. She just did it backwards and in high heels." ~Molly Ivins

"If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes, only sooner."
~Tallulah Bankhead

Arlene
Top of the World
Top of the World

A) Sexy, B) Loud or C) Dreamy? Try D) All of the Above.

Postby Gerry » Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:57 pm

January 28, 2007

Playlist | Lucinda Williams

A) Sexy, B) Loud or C) Dreamy? Try D) All of the Above.
By WINTER MILLER

IMAGINE a time before alternative country. Before Americana and roots rock. Picture a corner office, sometime in the early ’80s, with record executives scratching their heads over how to market a talented singer, songwriter and guitarist from Louisiana named Lucinda Williams. Was she country? Folk? Blues? The answer of course was (and is) all of the above. A three-time Grammy winner, Ms. Williams will release “West,” her eighth studio album, on Feb. 13. A tour is scheduled to begin soon after, including a stop at Radio City Music Hall on March 23. Ms. Williams, 54, shows no signs of getting any less sexy with her lyrics or her taste in music. She recently spoke by phone with Winter Miller about what she’s listening to now.

Sara Tavares

She’s Portuguese. She writes and sings beautifully melodic songs that have a dreamy, uplifting energy to them. I adore this kind of music and listen to a lot of it, whatever I can find. There’s something very soothing and hypnotic about it. It’s very sexy and wraps me up in coziness. It kind of transports me. Sara Tavares has a very fresh perspective. A fresh outlook: life is fun, life is glorious, live in the moment. That’s what her “Balancê” (Times Square) feels like.

Heartless Bastards

They’re cool, loud and raunchy. They’re a great live three-piece band: guitar, bass and drums. They’re from Ohio. Erika Wennerstrom, the guitar player, is unassuming and a little shy, but she has a mighty blues-rock voice. She just stomps and wails onstage. “All This Time” (Fat Possum) sounds new and edgy. They’re blending sounds from punk and blues, similar to what the Black Keys are doing, but more punk.

Carrie Rodriguez

Carrie is a young singer-songwriter with roots in Texas. She is the daughter of an Austin singer-songwriter, David Rodriguez. She started out accompanying other artists on violin and then spent some time as part of a duet with Chip Taylor, who is famous for writing “Wild Thing” and “Angel of the Morning.” Now she is finally striking out on her own as well, and I have to say I am very impressed. She’s got something unique in her voice that’s very subtle and a little smoky and sweet. She’s got a refreshingly spunky attitude to go along with it. I detect a certain wisdom in her, and yet a sense of wonder as well. On “Seven Angels on a Bicycle” (Back Porch/Train Wreck/EMI), Chip Taylor contributes to the songwriting.

Richard Dorfmeister vs. Madrid de Los Austrias

I absolutely adore his stuff and listen to it all the time. You have to hear it. It’s remixed funk. It grooves big time. The music is filled with sexy beats, dance beats and very primitive beats. There is a connection between the hip-hop remix funk music of today and the Delta blues. When you listen to a record like “Grand Slam” (G-Stone), you hear how the music is based on African rhythms. It goes all the way back to that. With Dorfmeister, it sounds like he’s taking soul-funk music and blending hip-hop beats and reggae with African and Latin rhythms.

Gotan Project

I’m in love with them. I would describe their music as a Latin world-beat sound. It’s transcendent, moody and very percussive. Part of it was recorded in Paris and part of it in Buenos Aires. I’ve always been drawn to the Latin culture and collect South American and Mexican folk art. When I was growing up, we lived in Santiago, Chile, and Mexico City. “Lunático” (Ya Basta!/Science & Melodie) may well be the sexiest album I’ve ever listened to, and yet it’s so ethereal. It’s very global; there is a very erotic kind of beat supporting an exquisitely seductive, warm female vocal. I can’t say enough about them.

Lila Downs

She’s a beautiful Mexican woman and an academically trained artist who has rediscovered her roots. Here is a young girl with an old soul giving a nod to traditional Mexican folk music, ballads and rancheros and bringing them to a new audience. Her music is colorful and soulful, and she has been blessed with a gorgeous voice. The songs on “La Cantina” (Narada/EMI) are all in Spanish and include the English translations. On one of the songs she sings about how to make mole sauce.

Hem

They had another album before this that I liked, so I bought this one. I listened to “Funnel Cloud” (Waveland/Nettwerk) and was drawn in more each time I listened to it. There’s something about the melodies; they just feel very genuine to me. It’s the kind of record that doesn’t jump out at you right away. It grows on you. The majority of stuff I’ve really been blown away by has been international music. The last time I was blown away by a contemporary Caucasian singer-songwriter was when I heard Ryan Adams. I think in this day and age it’s important to reach out across the globe. We could all stand to be a lot more globally aware, get out of our own backyard.

Comets on Fire

They’re from Santa Cruz, Calif., and with the album “Avatar” (Sub Pop), they twist the psychedelic kaleidoscope of music’s past and turn it into something completely new. Imagine if the Allman Brothers met Queens of the Stone Age over at the Stooges’ house. And that’s just for starters.

Copyright 2007 The New York Times Company
Gerry
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby elcorazon » Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:22 pm

Lu's coming to Chicago on April 13 & 14, supported by Carrie Rodriguez. Tickets go on sale tomorrow. I'm wondering if anyone's in the loop enough to know if there's any sort of presale on this one.
If I died, he'd hear about it, eventually.
elcorazon
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby notalone » Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:19 pm

Yeah... new album today. I'll be there first thing in the morning, to get it before the big snow storm hits.
Between Lu's and Patty's new cds it will make Feburary (my least fav month) most excellent.

Anyone else going to Harrisburg PA (Whitaker Center March 28) to see her?
Sometimes you wonder if your walking in the wrong direction.
notalone
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby notalone » Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:23 pm

With special guest Alejandro Escovedo
Sometimes you wonder if your walking in the wrong direction.
notalone
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby PCStuff » Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:31 pm

joanna wrote:I am really looking forward to the new CD. I just bought the Deluxe Edition CAR WHEELS ON A GRAVEL ROAD, and I'm really enjoying the live material. It made it worthwhile to purchase this awesome album again.

Thanks for that tip! I didn't know about that new version.

I just love the hell out of this new "West" album. Beautiful album from start to finish.
PCStuff
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby Arlene » Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:32 pm

FYI. Although Heartless Bastards will be opening for Lucinda for her March shows (including the one Keith and I will be seeing in NYC), it was just announced that Carrie Rodriguez will be opening for her during all of her April shows, including the ones in Chicago and Ann Arbor, etc.

CR is GREAT! I saw her last year at Merlefest and at the Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival. And I love her new album, Seven Angels on a Bicycle.
All of you who are seeing Lucinda in April-- ENJOY!!!
"You've got to sing like you don't need the money, love like you'll never get hurt. You've got to dance like no one is watching. It's gotta come from the heart, if you want it to work."
~Susannah Clark

"Ginger Rogers did everything that Fred Astaire did. She just did it backwards and in high heels." ~Molly Ivins

"If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes, only sooner."
~Tallulah Bankhead

Arlene
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Hugues » Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:11 am

People, I'm in love with that new Lucinda Williams album, it's a masterpiece! It's got a great flow from start to finish, her voice and music holds you in their arms and relieves all your possible pains. It's tender and sensual, so physical and beautiful.

Thousand cheers and kisses to Lu!
Hugues
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby Turk » Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:26 am

I have a problem with a few of the songs, but there are always a few "skip overs" on every Lu album, IMO.

I love the production and the eletronic warping of the strings in certain songs. It definitely puts a neat spin on her music.

"Are You Alright"
"Fancy Funeral"
"Rescue"
and "Where is My Love" are my current favorites.
Turk
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Hugues » Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:42 am

Turk wrote:I have a problem with a few of the songs, but there are always a few "skip overs" on every Lu album, IMO.

I love the production and the eletronic warping of the strings in certain songs. It definitely puts a neat spin on her music.

"Are You Alright"
"Fancy Funeral"
"Rescue"
and "Where is My Love" are my current favorites.

Upon the first listen, I found the perfect flow from the tracks 3 to 11...

and especialy Fancy Funeral and Rescue have moments of real Beauty :)
Hugues
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

PreviousNext

Return to Music. (Other than Patty!)