Lucinda Williams

Yes, there's a whole world of music out there besides Patty.

Moderator: gillian

Postby keith from ny » Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:16 pm

I really love Rescue, Mama You Sweet, Everything Has Changed and Unsuffer Me (although it's way tame compared to live). I think Fancy Funeral, What If and Words are pretty awful myself. Come On was very entertaining when I first heard it in concert, but it wears thin pretty quickly. The other songs I think are good but not great by Lucinda standards. Outstanding production and flow, very nice Essence-like vibe but without the same stratospheric level of songwriting IMO.

Great to have a new album from Lu in any event, I've got three shows lined up next month! :D
I don't know nothing except change will come
keith from ny
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Hugues » Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:56 am

keith from ny wrote:I really love Rescue, Mama You Sweet, Everything Has Changed and Unsuffer Me (although it's way tame compared to live). I think Fancy Funeral, What If and Words are pretty awful myself. Come On was very entertaining when I first heard it in concert, but it wears thin pretty quickly. The other songs I think are good but not great by Lucinda standards. Outstanding production and flow, very nice Essence-like vibe but without the same stratospheric level of songwriting IMO.

Great to have a new album from Lu in any event, I've got three shows lined up next month! :D

I don't understand you. "Fancy funeral" awful????

God, human people on earth will always disagree, it's desperate. :?
Hugues
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby Turk » Sat Feb 24, 2007 6:29 am

I think that Fancy Funeral is classic Lucinda. It is one more thread of loss that runs through every record she releases. I have no doubt that it is about her mother who passed away about a year or so ago.
My brother said he read an article claiming that when she died, Lu's siblings put pressure on her to pay the funeral expenses, and that they began bickering to the point that Lucinda wound up not attending the service at all.

So don't buy fancy funeral, it's not worth it in the end
Goodbyes can still be beautiful without the money that you spend
There's no amount of riches that will bring back what you've lost
To satisfy your wishes or justify the cost

I'm wondering how much the lines above are actually about the loss of their mother as opposed to the riff that came between the siblings.
Turk
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby keith from ny » Sat Feb 24, 2007 8:58 am

Yes, of course Fancy Funeral is about her mother dying. There's no subtlety to the song whatsoever, and do we really need advice from Lucinda (or anyone else) on how to honor the dearly departed? I frankly think she could have written a much better song about the whole affair.

But to each his or her own, of course. Just my opinion.
keith from ny
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Hugues » Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:40 am

I don't even mind the lyrics. I'm just speaking of the music, as for me...

I'm still convinced, personally, that if lyrics belong to subjective judgements, the music remains more universal.

With the exception of songs such as "Side of the Road" which I find especially great lyrically, I love Lucinda for the way she carries her songs with immediate, sensual vocals and simple and beautiful melodies. Few other singer songwriters today can do it so powerfully. Patty Griffin is of them as well. :wink:

The thing I appreciate with West, is that Lu knows how to be as immediate and warm as before, but avoiding this time the ugly excesses of World Without Tears.

Also, she gets away from the alt.country sticker, which is a good thing, and gives to her music a more accessible approach to the world. She's just finding the truest musical form to express her feelings today. She sounds fresh and contemporary.

A great return to form, I'd say. Lucinda, as an artist, is more alive than ever, and I bet West will remain as one of her career's peaks.

Cheers! :)
Hugues
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby Turk » Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:13 pm

Lucinda is definitely at her peek. I love the smoky/whiskey strain of her vocals that have become prominent on the last 2 records. World Without Tears ranks higher than West for me but maybe I need to give it a few more listens to fully absorb it all; it's still very new to me.
Turk
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby notalone » Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:21 pm

Turk wrote:Lucinda is definitely at her peek. I love the smoky/whiskey strain of her vocals that have become prominent on the last 2 records. World Without Tears ranks higher than West for me but maybe I need to give it a few more listens to fully absorb it all; it's still very new to me.

I agree Turk. I think "World Without Tears" is light years better than "West". I've listen to "West" many times now and it's just not connecting for me. I don't think its bad, just a good Lucinda record. Nothing about it makes me want to play it again, though I'll keep trying.
Sometimes you wonder if your walking in the wrong direction.
notalone
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby bivester » Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:02 pm

Tue 04/24/07
Carrie Rodriguez | Lucinda Williams
W.L. Lyons Brown Theatre

this is a beautiful old theatre w/great acoustics.

the tickets went on sale earlier without my knowing it (wtf? how dare they? ;) for some reason, i thought they went up saturday/yesterday). so after talking to a friend that had already bought some, i went to pick up a couple on friday morning, only to find that the floor was pretty much sold out except for a few random single seats towards the back of the theatre (and the balcony wasn't much better).

but then...i just got lucky, i walked up to the box office and after hearing about the ticket situation (or lack of them), i said disappointedly, "ok...so, what's available?" the girl looked at the screen and said; "wow! single seat: row B, orchestra center, on the aisle. wonder where that came from...it wasn't there earlier." i immediately replied..."ummm, i'll take that please."

carrie, lucinda and me!

woo-hoo!!!

one of my concert goals this year was to see lucinda, neko & cat power (all for the first time). one down...
"well, i'll bet you can't pronounce 'b-a-n-g-o-r' correctly any better than i can say 'louisville'... " ~patty to me after the kentucky theatre show

"and i'm so twitterpated about bill, i just tuned the wrong guitar...i said twitterpated, that's what i said." ~karin bergquist @ cst | dayton (sat | 04.09.2005)

bivester:concert photographs
bivester
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby Turk » Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:39 pm

I must say that I am totally in love with "Rescue" from the new record. The arrangement and feel just makes me feel like I'm floating. It's almost transcendental.
Turk
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Turk » Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:05 pm

Lu on Letterman tomorrow, Tues. March 20.
Turk
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby marybeth » Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:34 pm

It's amazing how opinions seem to vary about this album. One reviewer told me its one of his desert island discs. Others seem to find it boring. Guess its time I give it a listen!
http://www.marybethdamico.com

Some people don't care if they live or they die
Some people want to know what it feels like to fly

Americana: "a nebulous category of misfits and acquired tastes, many of whom seem to have worn cowboy hats at one time or another" LA Times article
marybeth
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby notalone » Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:06 pm

"West" has grown alot on me since I first got it, but still wouldn't make my top 3 Lucinda albums.
Sometimes you wonder if your walking in the wrong direction.
notalone
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby keith from ny » Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:39 pm

notalone wrote:"West" has grown alot on me since I first got it, but still wouldn't make my top 3 Lucinda albums.

Pretty much sums up my feelings as well!
keith from ny
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby keith from ny » Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:50 pm

Turk wrote:Lu on Letterman tomorrow, Tues. March 20.

Poor Lu had her usual deer-in-the-headlights Letterman demeanor going on last night. She's done some great performance on ACL, CMT and Soundstage, but network TV is definitely not her thing.
keith from ny
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby keith from ny » Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:18 pm

A terrific show by Lu and her band to an insanely enthusiastic crowd at the Orpheum Theater in Boston last night. :) She played most of the songs I like on West and didn't play most of those I don't, so that was a plus.

Set list:

Rescue
Ventura
Fruits of My Labor
Learning How to Live
Car Wheels on a Gravel Road
Those Three Days
Out of Touch
Righteously
Essence
Real Live Bleeding Fingers and Broken Guitar Strings
Come On
Unsuffer Me
Sweet Side
Joy
(encore)
Everything Has Changed
West
Hard Time Killing Floor Blues

(that's Erika Wennerstom of Heartless Bastards playing guitar on left during Joy)

A few samples of how it sounded from seat D-10:

I'm Learning How to Live

Out of Touch

Hard Times Killing Floor Blues

Opener Heartless Bastards were okay, but I can't say I like them near as well as certain other bands from Cincinnati. ;) I'm a little jealous of those getting to see Carrie Rodriguez and Anne McCue open later in the tour.
keith from ny
Top of the World
Top of the World

PreviousNext

Return to Music. (Other than Patty!)