Tori Amos

Yes, there's a whole world of music out there besides Patty.

Moderator: gillian

Postby B Minus Time Traveler » Thu Sep 28, 2006 1:55 pm

iTunes might have them for download. They had (and probably still have) a lot of her covers and such from the "bootleg" albums.

I haven't bought a Tori CD since "To Venus and Back." A friend of mine gave me a copy of "Scarlett's Walk," which I really did enjoy (especially the song "Goldust."). I think that "From the Choirgirl Hotel" is my favorite album of hers. I love "Northern Lad" and "She's Your Cocaine." I once told a friend that if I was ever a female stripper, that I would strip to "She's Your Cocaine," because I find it very sexy for some reason.

But favorite song? Hands down, "The Doughnut Song." And her version of Eminem's "Bonnie & Clyde '97" is so evil and malicious and dark that it just gives me the chills. Love it.
"You know, I cried when I had no shoes, until I met a man who had no feet. And then I laughed...really hard." - Jerri Blank
B Minus Time Traveler
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby RightOverThisMess » Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:32 am

B Minus Time Traveler wrote:iTunes might have them for download. They had (and probably still have) a lot of her covers and such from the "bootleg" albums.

I haven't bought a Tori CD since "To Venus and Back." A friend of mine gave me a copy of "Scarlett's Walk," which I really did enjoy (especially the song "Goldust."). I think that "From the Choirgirl Hotel" is my favorite album of hers. I love "Northern Lad" and "She's Your Cocaine." I once told a friend that if I was ever a female stripper, that I would strip to "She's Your Cocaine," because I find it very sexy for some reason.

But favorite song? Hands down, "The Doughnut Song." And her version of Eminem's "Bonnie & Clyde '97" is so evil and malicious and dark that it just gives me the chills. Love it.

It seems like we have similar taste in Tori songs! :D I think She's Your Cocaine is sooo underrated. I love it. And Northern Lad gives me chills. I also really love her cover of '97 Bonnie and Clyde. We did a Tori Song/Album Survivor game a long time ago on the forum I help moderate and I was so freakin' mad because '97 Bonnie and Clyde was voted off really quickly.

Anyway, my very favorite Tori song is Cloud On My Tongue.
Nobody helps a liar.
...and you don't know what I've done.
RightOverThisMess
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby sfboy » Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:12 pm

OK, well, I'm going to chime in too.

My top 10 Tori songs are.....

1. Tear in My Hand
2. Northern Lad
3. Cars and Guitars
4. Sugar
5. Toast
6. Frog on My Tongue
7. Leather
8. Silent All These Years
9. Playboy Mommy
10. A Sorta Fairytale

You're both right, Northern Lad is an amazing amazing song.

Kevin
sfboy
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby RightOverThisMess » Fri Sep 29, 2006 4:16 pm

sfboy wrote:OK, well, I'm going to chime in too.

My top 10 Tori songs are.....

1. Tear in My Hand
2. Northern Lad
3. Cars and Guitars
4. Sugar
5. Toast
6. Frog on My Tongue
7. Leather
8. Silent All These Years
9. Playboy Mommy
10. A Sorta Fairytale

You're both right, Northern Lad is an amazing amazing song.

Kevin

Oh, dear... Cars and Guitars is my least favorite Tori song. For #6, do you mean Cloud On My Tongue or Frog On My Toe (a b-side)?

I'll be back with my top 10! :D
Nobody helps a liar.
RightOverThisMess
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby RightOverThisMess » Fri Sep 29, 2006 4:39 pm

Carly's Top 10:

01. Cloud On My Tongue
02. Virginia
03. Playboy Mommy
04. Precious Things
05. Lust
06. Putting the Damage On
07. Merman
08. Hey Jupiter (Dakota Version)
09. Sugar
10. Mother

(Honorable mention goes to Northern Lad, Baker Baker, Suede, Marys of the Sea, and The Beekeeper)
Nobody helps a liar.
RightOverThisMess
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby sfboy » Sat Sep 30, 2006 9:55 am

Carly

Sorry! Frog on my Toe (I'd read your post and well, I guess I'm sort of word dyslexic!) Isn't it weird how someone else's favorite can be someone else's least favorite?

And what's your favorite Tori cover? I almost died when I heard her do Landslide live, and her cover of A Case of You is pretty damn amazing, too. And I love her version of Over the Rainbow.

Kevin
sfboy
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby RightOverThisMess » Sat Sep 30, 2006 11:56 am

I've seen her do Landslide, too. And I looove A Case of You.

My favorite is probably Famous Blue Raincoat. Running to Stand Still is great, as is Losing My Religion. Oh, and Daniel. Ugh, there are so many!

My favorite cover that I've actually seen her do is Purple Rain.

Here's the mp3:

http://download.yousendit.com/503DE8A97C573410
Nobody helps a liar.
RightOverThisMess
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby sfboy » Sat Sep 30, 2006 4:25 pm

Tori did Running to Stand Still? The amazing U2 song??? I would die to hear that.

Thanks for the Purple Rain link!

Kevin
sfboy
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby RightOverThisMess » Sat Sep 30, 2006 7:47 pm

Tori's cover of U2's Running To Stand Still:

http://download.yousendit.com/D0C5171B384C7FFD

Tori's cover of Bon Jovi's Living On A Prayer (another great one):

http://download.yousendit.com/787584892D79D3CC
Nobody helps a liar.
RightOverThisMess
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby B Minus Time Traveler » Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:16 am

RightOverThisMess wrote:I've seen her do Landslide, too. And I looove A Case of You.

My favorite is probably Famous Blue Raincoat. Running to Stand Still is great, as is Losing My Religion. Oh, and Daniel. Ugh, there are so many!

My favorite cover that I've actually seen her do is Purple Rain.

Here's the mp3:

http://download.yousendit.com/503DE8A97C573410

Once again -- same taste! Famous Blue Raincoat is definitely my fave cover (almost tied with A Case of You, but I pretty much love anyone's version of that song because Joni Mitchell is the shiznit and that song is so, so heartbreaking). I don't like Leonard Cohen as a singer, but Tori just really emotes the crap out of that song. It's so dripping with longing and wistfulness. Oh, Tori. God bless ya.

I also read/heard somewhere that she beat out Sarah Jessica Parker for her role in the cornflake commercial. She said it was just because she could play piano and SJP couldn't. Oh man -- imagine a world where SJP is a piano playing songstress and Tori Amos as Carrie on Sex and the City!

ETA: Her "All Through the Night" (Cyndi Lauper) is pretty great too!
"You know, I cried when I had no shoes, until I met a man who had no feet. And then I laughed...really hard." - Jerri Blank
B Minus Time Traveler
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby RightOverThisMess » Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:41 pm

THIS JUST IN!!!

Incidental New Album News: Mastering!
Wednesday, January 24, 2007 | 08:16 -0700 | Posted by woj | Releases
In an article about Close To The Edge Studios mastering engineer Jon Astley’s new AML1 studio monitors, Lighting & Sound International mentions off-handedly that he will be taking them out to Martian Engineering “for use in the on going project with Tori Amos.” Considering his capacity as a mastering engineer and history with Tori—he has mastered all of her records since From The Choirgirl Hotel—it’s safe to assume that the new record is approaching or in the mastering phase now. (The meat of the story on LS&I is pretty interesting too—at least to gearheads like me—but I suspect that most Undented visitors are most interested in that one sentence!)

Speaking of Martian, their latest news item effuses love for the new Korby KAT microphone system that they are using. Since the only project being worked on at Martian is Tori’s next record, it’s pretty clear that this system is being used for it.

Give us a bit of Pele and a bit of Choirgirl. Enough of this adult contemporary crap that she's been pulling. I can't wait for the new album!
Nobody helps a liar.
RightOverThisMess
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby MWM » Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:52 am

I've been skeptical all this time, but something is now telling me, the new album is not going to be adult contemporary. And that something telling me that is this:

It's a promotional photo from the new album which is out May 1st and will be called American Doll Posse. I still can't believe she's going to do a total 180 and start making really badass music again, but judging from that picture, it sure seems like she's gonna try. Holding a Bible + stepping on a fish + "shame" written on her hand + blood dripping down her leg = something badass.
The meteorite is the source of the light
And the meteor's just what we see
And the meteoroid is a stone that's devoid
Of the fire that propelled it to thee
And the meteorite's just what causes the light
And the meteor's how it's perceived
And the meteoroid's a bone thrown from the void
That lies quiet in offering to thee
MWM
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby RightOverThisMess » Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:17 pm

MWM wrote:I've been skeptical all this time, but something is now telling me, the new album is not going to be adult contemporary. And that something telling me that is this:

It's a promotional photo from the new album which is out May 1st and will be called American Doll Posse. I still can't believe she's going to do a total 180 and start making really badass music again, but judging from that picture, it sure seems like she's gonna try. Holding a Bible + stepping on a fish + "shame" written on her hand + blood dripping down her leg = something badass.

Oh, wow! Thanks for that photo, Matt! That's badass indeed. Yay!
Nobody helps a liar.
RightOverThisMess
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby Mis » Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:08 pm

Hmmm...well if THIS is the case, she might win me back yet.
Liars
are lying
Airplanes
are flying
Love isn't here
Love isn't here
But it's somewhere...
Mis
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby disco_fred » Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:09 pm

I am thrilled by this new picture.

I love Tori and so much of her music has been a soundtrack in my life.

I wonder if the Christian right is going to go after her for this?
"Sometimes I think the world has gone completely mad. And then I think -- ah, who cares? And then I think -- hey, what's for supper?" -- Jack Handey.
disco_fred
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

PreviousNext

Return to Music. (Other than Patty!)