Tori Amos

Yes, there's a whole world of music out there besides Patty.

Moderator: gillian

Postby sfboy » Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:58 am

Thanks for that youtube link. Wow! I think that's pretty funn/amazing/horrible for the girls, who I'm sure deserved it.

I wasn't going to post a review, but since you asked... :D

I sort of need to preface my review, 'cause otherwise I think Tori fans are going to be pissed off at me. I really like her non-electronicaish, structured songs. I love her first 2 CDs, and the Beekeeper. On other CDs, I like some songs but don't really like a lot of others. It's not a comment on Tori's music. It's more of a comment on my tastes, which I wish were broader. So please don't Crucify me (pun intended)--it's my shortcoming, not Tori's.!

That said, her concert was really fun, during parts. We had really bad seats, and the sound sucked royally, which isn't her fault. And they were filming a DVD, but that didn't matter much, except that at some point in the future I'll actually be able to see her face at that cocnert.

It's so funny, because the songs that you like I'm not all that in love with. I wasn't so impressed with the first part of the show, though Hootchie Woman, which I don't actually like much, was really good live. I loved how she came out and served water to the band dudes and sort of slinked around. Very funny and sexy.

Her solo set was amazing, as usual. I first saw Tori after LE came out, and I loved all those early shows. I find now that by making her sound "bigger", they tend towards electronica and they sound really similar to me. I would love, love, love if she did a tour with a band but in which her songs were more country, rock, r and b, whatever. Again, this isn't a rip on Tori's tour. I know that a lot of people really loved/are loving this tour, and she really puts a lot into her shows.

Anyway, the highlights for me were: Hoochie Woman, Big Wheel, Crucify, Sugar, Bells for Her, and Cooling. I always love how Tori has so many "rare" (i.e. non-album) tracks and how she plays them a lot. That's awesome.

The one other thing was that I had to scream "shut up" at a couple of girls who were talking really loudly not far from where I was sitting. Everyone was looking at them and trying to give them the evil eye, but they just didn't care. I was really, really rude, but I wanted to shut them up without bothering people and I wanted to do it fast. I felt bad, but a woman in front of me, about 3 mintues later, turned around and thanked me, so I felt a little better after that.

OK, and if you're buying any of the official boots of this tour, and if you want to do a trade, please let me know. I'd be happy to do a trade.

Kevin
sfboy
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby sfboy » Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:51 pm

Internet hook up per month--$50.
Computer--$1,200.
Electricity bill per month--$30.
Seeing Tori kick out two concert goers on youtube--priceless.

THANKS SOOO MUCH FOR POSTING THIS. MY BOYFRIEND AND I HAVE WATCHED IT 5 TIMES. It's so kick ass.

Kevin
sfboy
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby RightOverThisMess » Wed May 20, 2009 8:58 pm

Tori released her newest album, Abnormally Attracted to Sin on Tuesday.

Tori was my favorite artist for years. I still adore her old stuff, and I absolutely love those phases I go through when I rediscover her and remember how her music affected me throughout college and how many wonderful friendships I've made because of her--I moderated Toriforum for years, but it's barely active now.

But now I feel like a very bad Toriphile. I pirated the leak of AATS and I'm honestly not sure if I'm going to buy an actual copy. Ever since American Doll Posse (which blows, in my opinion) I feel like I'm a fan out of duty and loyalty. I want her to take a break. People expect her to be prolific, but I have a feeling her diehard fans would wait 2 or 3 more years if it meant she would come out with a cohesive, mindblowing album. We know she's capable of it. She's done it countless times.

I think Abnormally Attracted to Sin is leagues above American Doll Posse (The Beekeeper is somewhere in the middle for me). I like it more and more each time I listen to it, so I haven't lost all faith.

Killer songs from AATS:
-Give
-Strong Black Vine
-Curtain Call
-Starling
-Fast Horse
-Oscar's Theme (the iTunes bonus track, which is significantly better than half of what's on the album)
Nobody helps a liar.
...and you don't know what I've done.
RightOverThisMess
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Previous

Return to Music. (Other than Patty!)