Ani DiFranco

Yes, there's a whole world of music out there besides Patty.

Moderator: gillian

Ani DiFranco

Postby Fool On Fire » Wed Feb 16, 2005 11:50 pm

Just a thread for those who are already Ani-philes and for people who are just discovering her.

If you get a chance, pick up a copy of her new album Knuckle Down. I've been listening to it consistently ever since I got it, and I'm very impressed; it's my favorite of her albums since Not a Pretty Girl or Dilate. It's truly an awesome piece of work. She may be prolific, but she's surely very talented.

Congrats to Ani on a terrific new album,
~Elise
I've become the beggar now, and you've become the saint somehow
twist the words and place the blame, and tell me now, aren't we the same?

-- Amy Ray

born under a bad sign, been down since I began to crawl
if it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have no luck at all

-- Albert King

the saints and all the martyrs look down on dying converts
"what makes the water holy," she said, "is that it's the closest thing to rain..."

-- Josh Ritter

...the blues is the roots...everything else is the fruits...
Fool On Fire
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby girlgoddess » Wed Feb 16, 2005 11:54 pm

umm... ani rules.

(god help you if you were an ugly girl, course too pretty is also your doom cuz everyone harbors a secret hatred for the prettiest girl in the room)

before i ever heard ani sing i read tons of her lyrics online. that's what sucked me in.

.r.
if you have poo, fling it now.
girlgoddess
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby Fool On Fire » Thu Feb 17, 2005 12:01 am

She is awesome. It's so funny how tiny she is, 'cause she just exudes all this energy - there's this eensy little woman with a 50-foot personality. LOL. I got sucked in by going to a concert in 2003, and I was like...okay, damn, this is good. hehe.

there's a crowd of people harbored in every person
there are so many roles that we play
and you've decided to love me for eternity
I'm still deciding who I want to be today

-- Light of Some Kind, from Not a Pretty Girl

Gotta love the Righteous Babe,
~Elise

-- Amy Ray

-- Albert King

"what makes the water holy," she said, "is that it's the closest thing to rain..."

-- Josh Ritter

Fool On Fire
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby TontoBronto » Thu Feb 17, 2005 5:28 am

Has anyone heard of former Ani fans who have been won BACK by the latest CD??
As I've said before, I used to love Ani but felt the later CD's were much weaker and didn't even consider buying "Educated Guess."
But I enjoyed hearing one track at the local CD store and Ani's appearance on The Tonight show, so I'm seriously considering the latest CD (and of course Elise's recommendation carries considerable weight).

The local CD salesgal is such a dyed-in-the-wool Ani fan that it's hard for me to take her opinion seriously: since she ADORES everything Ani with a near-religious fervor, I'm not sure if I can trust her recommendation. And it DOES seem there's a gender thing going on with Ani, since fans seem to be overwhelmingly female.
TontoBronto
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby girlgoddess » Thu Feb 17, 2005 9:23 am

granted i haven't heard too much of the new album but it strikes me as quite...
agreeable.

....we are water we flow and flow....

.r.
if you have poo, fling it now.
girlgoddess
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby Fool On Fire » Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:25 pm

Tonto, I was trying to think of someone I know who had rejuvenated their interest in Ani because of Knuckle Down, but unfortunately I too am surrounded by DiFreakos who would love anything she released. In fact, I live with one. (Makes it a little hard for the rest of us to judge what's great and what's average, hehe.)

So I just pulled a crafty little trick. I asked my roommate Tory to rank Ani's albums from her favorite to her least favorite. She picked Little Plastic Castles as her top choice, then Up X6, and then Knuckle Down. I asked her why and she said, "Because Knuckle Down feels like Ani's got her groove back." Now, she *loved* Educated Guess and she used to play it all the time - but even she admits that it's not Ani's best work now. (She just hollered at me from the bathroom, "Educated Guess got NOTHIN' on this new one.")

I don't know if that helps you, I promise I'll keep looking, :)
~Elise

-- Amy Ray

-- Albert King

-- Josh Ritter

Fool On Fire
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby jenfrazzle » Fri Feb 18, 2005 3:58 am

well, i've been dabbling lightly in a few of ani's albums for the last 2 years or so, and i kinda got into it backwards, since revelling/reckoning was actually the first album of hers i'd ever heard (consequently it's still my favorite but listening to her other stuff i can see how a lot of her fans don't care for it - it's quite different from most of her stuff). so my path through ani's work has been:
reveling/reckoning
evolve
dilate
knuckle down

i decided to go see her play this week on a whim and it was AMAZING. i could have watched her for days - she's such an amazing performer. i've been in love with her sharp lyrics since i first heard them, but now i'm totally frigging hooked. i told my boyfriend after the concert, "she's so fucking cute you just want to stick her in your shirt pocket and take her home!" it's rare that you find someone with so much technical skill and power over her instrument, and with such a unique voice (and even better, a voice that actually has something to SAY), who sounds even better live, and who seems to so enjoy what they are doing. she truly seemed ecstatic to be there playing for us and performs with so much energy and enthusiasm and joy. and don't even get me started on the guy who plays bass with her or her opening act, andrew bird. amazing, amazing musicians.

as i get more & more into "knuckle down" i'm really really liking it. some good stuff there. the ones i like most at the moment: knuckle down, manhole, seeing eye dog, recoil.

ok, my ani rant is done now. sorry folks, still coming down off of the high of seeing a really great show.... 8)
jenfrazzle
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby TontoBronto » Sat Feb 19, 2005 3:59 pm

Hey, the newest is available as a 2LP set for $15--
http://www.righteousbabe.com/store/prod ... asp?id=404

I was happy to find out that shipping on the LP's was just $3 (the actual postage was $5). I've run into a few companies where the LP/CD prices were halfway reasonable, but the S/H was relatively high--like $7.99 or something.
Last edited by TontoBronto on Sat Feb 26, 2005 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
TontoBronto
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Fool On Fire » Sat Feb 19, 2005 5:03 pm

I've been learning how to play some of Ani's songs...rhythm guitar only, because I'm nowhere near proficient enough to play the way she does. My current repertoire is "Untouchable Face" and "Little Plastic Castle." Last night I was at a party and I played "Untouchable Face" on someone else's guitar, and it got to be a sort of hootenanny where everyone would scream FUCK YOU on cue with the song. (This got more and more out-of-synch as we consumed more and more booze. LOL.)

Ani's songs are a lot of fun to sing,
~Elise

-- Amy Ray

-- Albert King

-- Josh Ritter

Fool On Fire
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby TontoBronto » Sun Feb 20, 2005 8:44 am

Fool_on_Fire wrote:....So I just pulled a crafty little trick. ....
~Elise

Here's my version of a crafty little trick: I put a bunch of CD's by the same artist in a 10 cd boombox and hit random play. It's interesting to try to figure out whether the track playing is early or late, from which CD etc. Generally, I'm drawn to tracks from the early stuff, but now and then I'll think a song from a recent CD COULD have been on something earlier.

I also do this with similar artists like acoustic guitarists or jazz pianists: it always interests me how quickly I can tell Keith Jarrett from McCoy Tyner or Marcus Roberts or whenever I mistakenly think Phil Keaggy is actually Michael Hedges. I always give myself a dog treat if I Name That Tune correctly, and shock myself with a battery if I make a mistake.
TontoBronto
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Little_Kites » Sun Feb 20, 2005 2:50 pm

I love Ani's lyrics exhibit A:

i think shy is boring
i think depressed is too
i think pretty is nice
but i'd rather see something new
-Pick Yer Nose from Puddle Dive

Good stuff!
Little_Kites
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby TontoBronto » Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:24 pm

Fool_on_Fire wrote:I've been learning how to play some of Ani's songs...rhythm guitar only, because I'm nowhere near proficient enough to play the way she does. My current repertoire is "Untouchable Face" and "Little Plastic Castle." Last night I was at a party and I played "Untouchable Face" on someone else's guitar, and it got to be a sort of hootenanny where everyone would scream FUCK YOU on cue with the song. (This got more and more out-of-synch as we consumed more and more booze. LOL.)

Ani's songs are a lot of fun to sing,
~Elise

I was listening to Martha Wainwright's latest "Bloody M***** F****** A******" today and remembered this post. Maybe you should add this to your repertoire, so you could do a whole pottymouth set??? I'd include Marianne Faithfull's "Why'd Ya Do It?" :lol:
TontoBronto
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Fool On Fire » Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:51 pm

Tonto Yoder wrote:I was listening to Martha Wainwright's latest "Bloody M***** F****** A******" today and remembered this post. Maybe you should add this to your repertoire, so you could do a whole pottymouth set??? I'd include Marianne Faithfull's "Why'd Ya Do It?" :lol:

Hahaha, I *just* saw this post. That's a great idea, Tonto. Let's see, what else should I include in my Badass Set? Probably at least a couple of songs from Liz Phair's Exile in Guyville...I could do a groovy version of "Fuck and Run." :lol:

I'm such a dirty, dirty little mattress monkey,
~Elise

-- Amy Ray

-- Albert King

-- Josh Ritter

Fool On Fire
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby disco_fred » Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:52 pm

When Ani came down this way to play, I couldn't find one person who'd go with me, nor someone who'd even heard of her. Bummer :oops: .

But me and my New York pals (who are all back in, well ... New York) have loved her for a long time!

"Superhero" is my favorite -- from my favorite Ani album, "Dilate". I admit that I had lost a little interest over the years, since I too wasn't as into her last 2 albums or so, but I do have a place in my heart and my music collection for the wit and wisdom of Ani DiFranco.
"Sometimes I think the world has gone completely mad. And then I think -- ah, who cares? And then I think -- hey, what's for supper?" -- Jack Handey.
disco_fred
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby jenfrazzle » Thu Mar 03, 2005 12:51 am

aw, but "evolve" and "knuckle down" are such great albums!! :D
jenfrazzle
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Next

Return to Music. (Other than Patty!)