Ani DiFranco

Yes, there's a whole world of music out there besides Patty.

Moderator: gillian

Postby Fool On Fire » Fri Apr 08, 2005 10:16 pm

Bumping this thread for ScottG, who is newly smitten. :)

leather bras and rubber shorts,
~Elise
I've become the beggar now, and you've become the saint somehow
twist the words and place the blame, and tell me now, aren't we the same?

-- Amy Ray

born under a bad sign, been down since I began to crawl
if it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have no luck at all

-- Albert King

the saints and all the martyrs look down on dying converts
"what makes the water holy," she said, "is that it's the closest thing to rain..."

-- Josh Ritter

...the blues is the roots...everything else is the fruits...
Fool On Fire
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Arlene » Thu Jun 09, 2005 11:55 am

FYI. Not sure whether this is a repeat but Ani is the guest on WXPN's World Cafe tomorrow, Friday, June 10th and if you want to hear the broadcast, there are a number of stations, including www.wfuv.org, which stream World Cafe live on the web. See http://worldcafe.org/comingup.php
"You've got to sing like you don't need the money, love like you'll never get hurt. You've got to dance like no one is watching. It's gotta come from the heart, if you want it to work."
~Susannah Clark

"Ginger Rogers did everything that Fred Astaire did. She just did it backwards and in high heels." ~Molly Ivins

"If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes, only sooner."
~Tallulah Bankhead

Arlene
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby TontoBronto » Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:54 pm

Ani was the musical performer on Conan O'Brian Monday night (Tues. morning) doing a track from "Knuckle Down". I think it was a re-run, but still worth checking out by west-coasters. Comedy Channel also re-runs Conan's shows next day (I think). It's a very understated performance that might surprise anyone more familiar with her fireball stage persona.
TontoBronto
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Kelsea » Tue Jul 19, 2005 12:05 am

Thanks Tonto I'm going to watch it because as lame as it may be, I cant say I have ever heard any-thing from Ani DiFranco. I've heard alot about her and have had her reccomended but never really got around to listening.

Kelsea
Kelsea
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby TontoBronto » Tue Jul 19, 2005 12:26 am

KelseaC wrote:Thanks Tonto I'm going to watch it because as lame as it may be, I cant say I have ever heard any-thing from Ani DiFranco. I've heard alot about her and have had her reccomended but never really got around to listening.

Kelsea

You might as well watch---you might just LOVE her. Be forewarned that this is just one side of Ani. It would be like seeing Patty do "Long Ride Home" on Ellen (with Dar Williams, Shawn & Mary Chapin-Carpenter): it won't prepare you for that OTHER side---that tear-up-the-stage persona of Patty's "Silver Bell" or Ani's "Out of Me On to You."

As a sidelight, I had heard of Ani's reputation for many years, but had never actually heard her 'til Alana Davis covered "32 Flavors" and decided to check out Ani's original.
TontoBronto
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby jenfrazzle » Tue Jul 19, 2005 2:32 am

favorite ani quote of the day:

...i don't always feel lucky
but i'm smart enough to try
'cause humility has buoyancy
and above us only sky...

:)
jenfrazzle
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby Little_Kites » Tue Jul 19, 2005 12:25 pm

"I don't take a good picture because I have the kind of beauty that moves" -Ani Difranco
Little_Kites
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby Kelsea » Tue Jul 19, 2005 3:03 pm

I'm not quite sure what song she played but I liked it a lot. I guess I will pick up the latest album and then work my way down.
Kelsea
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby Kris » Tue Jul 19, 2005 3:14 pm

If you like live shows I'd get Living In Clip. It's nice because it gives you a taste of many Ani songs from many different albums. My other favorite album is Out of Range.

I haven't been too crazy about her newer stuff. I'm not into more abstract music. Plus, she has that tendency to rewrite the same song over and over...

I love Ani, though, she's cool.
It's the same old thirst for more
Until they put you in the dirt

You saw me through a keyhole
Of a door that I kept locked
But I decorate the threshold
Just in case you knocked
Kris
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby TontoBronto » Tue Jul 19, 2005 4:13 pm

KelseaC wrote:I'm not quite sure what song she played but I liked it a lot. I guess I will pick up the latest album and then work my way down.

From the Righteous Babe site---
'
IT'S LATE NIGHT WITH ANI DIFRANCO!
Drink your coffee, take some No Doze, tape open your eyelids...or just set your VCR's and TiVo's 'cause our favorite Little Folksinger's DEBUTING A BRAND NEW SONG on NBC's Late Night with Conan O'Brien on Tuesday, May 3 (technically Wednesday morning since it doesn't start until after 12:30am). This is the first chance to hear Ani perform the previously unreleased song "Decree" so be sure to Click here to confirm your local stations and start times."

Martin Short was also on the show, promoting "Jiminy Glick in LaLaWood" (reviewed by Ebert & Roeper on May7th), so this show may well be a re-run of that May 3rd show.

Her performance DID include the lyric "Get your subliminal decree and your false security. Be all that you can be. Be all that you can be."
I Tivoed the performance if you'd like a DVD of it???
Last edited by TontoBronto on Wed Jul 20, 2005 4:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
TontoBronto
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby LimeTwister » Tue Jul 19, 2005 5:07 pm

the conan show is on right now on cnbc (it's 7:00 pm EST)
I guess I'm taking my chances
Giving up the ring, throwing in the gloves
I guess I'm taking my chances
Trading in my things For a couple wings on a little white dove
And one big love, one big love
LimeTwister
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby jenfrazzle » Wed Jul 20, 2005 1:44 am

2 favorite quotes today:

are you weary as water
in a faucet left dripping
with an incessant sadness
like a sad record skipping
and an ugly and ornery
and shadowy dread
lurking like a troll under the bridge
between your heart and your head

and

and if i hear one more time
about a fool's right to his tools of rage
i'm gonna take all my friends
and i'm gonna move to canada
and we're gonna die of old age
jenfrazzle
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby TontoBronto » Wed Jul 20, 2005 4:35 am

KelseaC wrote:I'm not quite sure what song she played but I liked it a lot. I guess I will pick up the latest album and then work my way down.

I'd second buying "Knuckle Down" but I don't agree with the plan to work your way down after that (just my opinion, so do whatever you choose).
It seems there are a number of people like waffles & myself who feel some of the recent CD's are less-than-inspired and inferior to the earlier works (Ani's Golden Era). Elise has similar leanings (but is more tolerant of the newer stuff).

My favorite CD is "Dilate" but I'd second the recommendation of "Living in Clip" or "Out of Range" "Imperfectly" or "Like I said". You MAY well decide you like "Educated Guess" or "Evolve" best, but you probably SHOULD get something older too.

Hope this helps
BTW, I have a radio sampler of Ani that includes a couple selections from each of the early CD's. It was meant as a promo where radio or CD stores would play selections and inspire listeners to buy the whole CD's.
I don't think it would violate any moral principles to burn copies of this CD since I'm confident it would end up with members BUYING official Ani CD's.
I'll track down the details and post them later.
TontoBronto
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby ScottG » Wed Jul 20, 2005 8:47 am

"A lesson must be lived in order to be learned."
My first live use of an Ani quote the other day.

I'm still smitten.
ScottG
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby Kelsea » Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:49 am

Tonto-

Ok new plan, I'll get the new CD first and then I will work my way through the ones you suggested. I figure if both you and Kris agree about the newer cd's then If I get that far i'll just pick them up last.
Kelsea
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

PreviousNext

Return to Music. (Other than Patty!)